View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Just wanted to add another thought. Based on the numbers, I suppose the potential is there that this is for some type of secure network.
    08-08-13 02:27 PM
    One, welcome to 7 pages ago. Two, cite some cases where there are issues with sideloading. Google Maps, the top used app, runs beautifully on the new 4.2 runtime. Three, wanna talk about the DoD news?

I'm not trying to **** heads, but let's have an intelligent discussion.
    Oh Boy!
    leafs123 likes this.
    08-08-13 02:28 PM
    Morgan, just a lot of experience, like I said before. I'll be glad to be shown wrong, but until I am, I'm not going to believe that BlackBerry App World will be available.

The DoD just does not work that way. I'll go with what DISA released about applications over a BBRY spokesman.
    BlackBerry Balance is approved by DISA, allowing handset holders to access BAW. Apple doesn't have any form of approved, or otherwise, "Balance" feature thus iTunes is not something that they will be able to access on an iPhone. Not to mention all of the other restrictions placed upon iPhone and Android. There is a DoD directive on all of this and if I can find it again I'll post it to the board. I can't understand why anyone would want an iPhone or an Android phone based upon these restrictions, they aren't worth it. BlackBerry is basically going to be just like using a civilian phone.
    BlackBerry trucks hitting the streets of NYC!

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...2/#post8974909
    Side loading is a kludge that most will never attempt and the relative few that do face a host of disadvantages wrt usability, stability, security, upgradeability etc. Lets stick with 5/10 shall we?
    BB10: 5/10
    iOS 10/10
    Android 10/10
    WP: Not sure, but I feel confident in saying BB10 at least has no significant advantage over WP in this respect.

BB10 battling to avoid last place on this issue. Sound familiar?
    I was curious and looked it up.
    WP has 7/10. Missing Google+, FB messenger, and Instagram

One, welcome to 7 pages ago. Two, cite some cases where there are issues with sideloading. Google Maps, the top used app, runs beautifully on the new 4.2 runtime. Three, wanna talk about the DoD news?

I'm not trying to **** heads, but let's have an intelligent discussion.
    In most of the publicized instances of Android security violation, a sideload of some sort is involved. Remember that one about the FBI turning on your microphone? Requires spyware to be sideloaded first. I avoid sideloads like the plague and turned off the sideload option on my devices.
    08-08-13 02:29 PM
    I ******* love this place. Seriously, some posters need to just go back to the shadow they came from. If you can't have a intelligent conversation about active news releases without going back 10 pages to refute a post, don't bother showing up.
    08-08-13 02:32 PM
    08-08-13 02:34 PM
  8. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I don't believe that's true. With Firefox you can (and absolutely should!) set a master password, and nobody can just view your passwords then. You have to enter the password at least once after launching the browser, if you want it to fill your credentials into forms for which it remembers them, but you also have to re-enter the master password every time you try to view the saved passwords. It's an effective system, as far as I can tell, at least to prevent the kind of casual viewing (e.g. if someone borrows your laptop briefly) that Chrome is incapable of protecting you from.
    Peter, I am surprised by your response since you are obviously quite knowledgeable about computers. If you are worried someone you lend your laptop to will steal your passwords, are you also not worried about them:
    -accessing your email?
    -accessing your Word docs?
    -accessing your contact information?
    -accessing your calendar events?
    -deleting critical files?
    -downloading malware?
    -lots more ignorant or malicious actions to trigger a Bad Day for you?

If you feel you should lend your laptop, simply log into a separate user account or a feature restricted "guest account". Both options are available on Windows, OS X, all the consumer focused Linux distros (just plain all, and Unix systems too can have separate user accounts) and Chrome OS (a bit different of course. "by using the guest browsing feature, you can let them borrow your Chromebook and keep your own account information safe and secure").

Still not perfect since physical access (as you should well know) to your system means all bets are off for a knowledgeable attacker, but it solves the chrome password "problem" and a whole lot more issues at a level adequate for a lot of situations.

Here is guest access for OS X. You turn it on from a pull-down on the menu bar. It literally takes one second to activate. I assume it isn't rocket science in Windows either:
    "Guest users can only log in and use Safari. Guests can�t access your FileVault-encrypted disk or create files. Instead, they log in and use Safari from your computer�s built-in recovery disk."

I use a tablet for most tasks these days. I have "guided access" set to a triple click. I open a browser for the trusted borrower (I actually have a junk browser set to open in "private mode" so no cookies are set etc for this purpose. I also don't use it for anything else anyway), triple click and the borrower can use it, but cannot easily get anywhere else on the tablet. Again this takes 2 seconds to enable (open app, triple clock). Would I hand it over and go for lunch? No. Physical access equals a potentially compromised system.
    randall2580 likes this.
    08-08-13 02:35 PM
    BlackBerry Balance is approved by DISA, allowing handset holders to access BAW. Apple doesn't have any form of approved, or otherwise, "Balance" feature thus iTunes is not something that they will be able to access on an iPhone. Not to mention all of the other restrictions placed upon iPhone and Android. There is a DoD directive on all of this and if I can find it again I'll post it to the board. I can't understand why anyone would want an iPhone or an Android phone based upon these restrictions, they aren't worth it. BlackBerry is basically going to be just like using a civilian phone.
    Morgan, I fully and completely understand what you are saying.

First, I know iTunes won't be available. But if you read the posts from DISA, the application store will be provided by the contractor.

Second, as I just edited, there is a chance, based on the small numbers of units, that this is for some type of specific secure network.

Third, I've carried an Army issued Blackberry. I was not allowed, by policy, to add anything to the phone.

Fourth, and finally, I've posted this before and I'll say it one last time. I hope to be shown wrong. But, based on my years of history vs what was said by a BBRY spokesperson, I'll stand by with a bit of disbelief until I see it. Sorry. Not looking for a fight. I just thought a balanced look at this was better.
    08-08-13 02:37 PM

The new DoD server everyone is talking about is still in BETA and being tested. We don't know what will or will not be allowed yet because it's still in BETA and being tested.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-dead-horse.jpg  
    bungaboy, sidhuk, leafs123 and 6 others like this.
    08-08-13 02:44 PM
    Sorry if already posted.

The Importance Of The Department Of Defense Contract For BlackBerry

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): The Importance Of The Department Of Defense Contract For BlackBerry - Seeking Alpha
    08-08-13 02:51 PM

The new DoD server everyone is talking about is still in BETA and being tested. We don't know what will or will not be allowed yet because it's still in BETA and being tested.
    LoL, is that Daniel Day-Lewis beating the poor Horse?
    lcjr likes this.
    08-08-13 02:52 PM
    Actually, no. DISA is standing up multiple networks. EUCOM is standing one up right now.

Interview with DISA Director Lt. Gen. Ronnie Hawkins Jr. | Defense News | defensenews.com
    08-08-13 02:54 PM
    Actually, no. DISA is standing up multiple networks. EUCOM is standing one up right now.

Interview with DISA Director Lt. Gen. Ronnie Hawkins Jr. | Defense News | defensenews.com
    Yep, read about that one. But we're talking about the new server/network that is still in BETA and still being tested. We all know there are several networks, but we're speaking of the new one.
    08-08-13 02:57 PM
    Ok guys, closed out GREEN!! What a day, huh?? lol
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    08-08-13 03:00 PM
    Yep, read about that one. But we're talking about the new server/network that is still in BETA and still being tested. We all know there are several networks, but we're speaking of the new one.
    I agree that we think we are talking about the same thing, but the release from BBRY is vague enough that it opens up more questions than answers. If it is this new super network, why would there be a limit of 30K devices? That makes no sense.

Further, if you still work where I think you do, are they still on BBOS? Can you add stuff to those phones. At most installations you can't.

Also, when DMI was awarded the contract that you speak of, they specified Good and BES10, at a minimum, would both be used. So I don't get the release from BBRY.
    08-08-13 03:02 PM
    I agree that we think we are talking about the same thing, but the release from BBRY is vague enough that it opens up more questions than answers. If it is this new super network, why would there be a limit of 30K devices? That makes no sense.

Further, if you still work where I think you do, are they still on BBOS? Can you add stuff to those phones. At most installations you can't.

Also, when DMI was awarded the contract that you speak of, they specified Good and BES10, at a minimum, would both be used. So I don't get the release from BBRY.
    Welcome to my list....
    bungaboy, sidhuk and Bigbacala like this.
    08-08-13 03:05 PM

I was told by somebody within the field and is testing this new network that this is going to be something completely different. Most everything about this is still classified so we won't have the specifics for a while. That means we don't know why there's a limit of 30,000 devices or if that will expand or not later. We are still on BBOS until this new network is up and running and our current contract allows us to upgrade.

But we can basically just drop the topic because anything besides BB getting the go ahead and the fact that BB will be a part of the underlying security is all specuation right now. We just don't have all the details to answer all our questions. We'll just have to wait and see.
    08-08-13 03:08 PM
    Welcome to my list....
    Really. For trying to clarify the importance of this news?
    08-08-13 03:09 PM
    Welcome to my list....
    What took so long?
    Bugmapper likes this.
    08-08-13 03:10 PM
    What took so long?
    So, you'll listen to a guy from Greece about the DoD, but not someone who was part of it for 28 years? OK.
    08-08-13 03:13 PM
    Who's from Greece??
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-08-13 03:14 PM
    What took so long?
    Sorry, Trying not to be too trigger happy (pardon the pun in this case) with the ignore function - and sometimes they pop up only when I'm on Z10 and can't ignore them... then they go away when I'm back at the desk so I forget to do it. I'll try to be more diligent in the future.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-08-13 03:14 PM
    Who's from Greece??
    John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.... oh wait... that was Grease. Nevermind.
    08-08-13 03:16 PM
    Welcome to my list....
    Positive?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-christoph-waltz-django-unchained.jpg
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    08-08-13 03:18 PM
113,256 ... 16691670167116721673 ...