View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Wow that like: Sure you can bring your lunch but you can eat it when you are at work!
    There sure are differences:

Only Crippled iOS iPhone & iPad Approved by US DoD for Government Work - BerryReview

◾No Safari browser (you have to use a containerized browser that will have far fewer features)
    ◾No iMessage
    ◾No iTunes
    ◾No App Store (as in only apps the DoD allows on your device through their own App Store)
    ◾Containerized segregated email client
    ◾No Wi-Fi access on DoD Wi-Fi networks though you can use it at home or publicly
    ◾Must be connected to a MDM (Mobile Device Management) solution

The last point is one of the most interesting. To be able to use an iOS device or Android device on the DoD network it must be hooked up to an MDM. Currently the only approved MDM is BlackBerry Enterprise Service.

Those are enough restrictions for me to never want an iPhone, now have a look at Android, it gets much worse:

"The Android Market will be banned, and all web browsing must be done through a DoD proxy server. On top of these restrictions, classified information cannot be sent, received or accessed using the Android handsets."
    08-08-13 11:52 AM
    There sure are differences:

Only Crippled iOS iPhone & iPad Approved by US DoD for Government Work - BerryReview

◾No Safari browser (you have to use a containerized browser that will have far fewer features)
    ◾No iMessage
    ◾No iTunes
    ◾No App Store (as in only apps the DoD allows on your device through their own App Store)
    ◾Containerized segregated email client
    ◾No Wi-Fi access on DoD Wi-Fi networks though you can use it at home or publicly
    ◾Must be connected to a MDM (Mobile Device Management) solution

The last point is one of the most interesting. To be able to use an iOS device or Android device on the DoD network it must be hooked up to an MDM. Currently the only approved MDM is BlackBerry Enterprise Service.

Those are enough restrictions for me to never want an iPhone, now have a look at Android, it gets much worse:

"The Android Market will be banned, and all web browsing must be done through a DoD proxy server. On top of these restrictions, classified information cannot be sent, received or accessed using the Android handsets."
    No IMessage? OMG no way
    R U Sure Morgan?
    in that case, lets harpoon a whale.
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    08-08-13 11:53 AM
    The last point is one of the most interesting. To be able to use an iOS device or Android device on the DoD network it must be hooked up to an MDM. Currently the only approved MDM is BlackBerry Enterprise Service.[/I][/I]
    Morgan, that article is from May. That changed with the DISA contract announced on 28 June which covers MDM/MAS. Additionally, if I read it correctly, all phones will get apps from the controlled app store.

ETA: Sith Apprentice is very smart on this. Look for his posts on the subject here: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...perate-837188/
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    08-08-13 12:01 PM
    Morgan, that article is from May. That changed with the DISA contract announced on 28 June which covers MDM/MAS. Additionally, if I read it correctly, all phones will get apps from the controlled app store.

ETA: Sith Apprentice is very smart on this. Look for his posts on the subject here: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...perate-837188/
    this is in today.
    A BlackBerry spokesperson explained in an email to ZDNet: "DoD users can fully embrace all of the consumer features – applications, games, multimedia, social networking — while still having full access to their DoD email."

BlackBerry senior vice president Scott Totzke said in prepared remarks that the certification "further establishes" the company's "proven and validated security model."

BlackBerry 10 devices were already granted FIPS 140-2 certification for low-level secure transmissions last year, seen as a stepping stone to higher security clearances within the Defense Dept. But this news makes the overall ecosystem a far more attractive solution to buy into as a result of the device plus management combination.

BlackBerry first to secure U.S. DOD device management approval | ZDNet
    08-08-13 12:07 PM
    Fair enough, but the horse's mouth says differently. I worked for the DoD for 28 years. They will control all apps on their network. Period.

DISA's Defense Information Technology Contracting Organization will initially pay $2.9 million, although DMI could receive up to $16 million over three years depending on the contract's options. "With the mobile device management system and mobile application store, we will be able to manage devices and the applications that our warfighters use while ensuring our networks and information are secure and protected," DISA director Lt. Gen. Ronnie Hawkins said in a statement.

Earlier this year, DOD's chief information officer Teri Takai approved a Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan that permits the use of off-the-shelf mobile devices on military networks. The plan also calls for a "unified MDM architecture [that] secures, monitors, manages and supports accredited mobile devices across a range of DOD environments." Even before the plan was established, the military already had more than 600,000 mobile devices on its networks.

With the new MDM system in place, the DOD will be able to provision and manage its growing number of mobile devices using continuous monitoring and security features like malware detection, over-the-air (OTA) distribution of applications and remote data-wipe. The application store will operate in conjunction with the MDM system. For example, the DOD will be able to install, update and delete applications on users' devices remotely. This will ensure that only approved apps can be distributed on devices cleared by the DOD.
    08-08-13 12:15 PM
    No IMessage? OMG no way
    R U Sure Morgan?
    in that case, lets harpoon a whale.
    *Opens can of worms*
    lcjr, sidhuk and BergerKing like this.
    08-08-13 12:17 PM
    Humm this seems old to me, but I might be wrong.
    Fair enough, but the horse's mouth says differently. I worked for the DoD for 28 years. They will control all apps on their network. Period.

DISA's Defense Information Technology Contracting Organization will initially pay $2.9 million, although DMI could receive up to $16 million over three years depending on the contract's options. "With the mobile device management system and mobile application store, we will be able to manage devices and the applications that our warfighters use while ensuring our networks and information are secure and protected," DISA director Lt. Gen. Ronnie Hawkins said in a statement.

Earlier this year, DOD's chief information officer Teri Takai approved a Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan that permits the use of off-the-shelf mobile devices on military networks. The plan also calls for a "unified MDM architecture [that] secures, monitors, manages and supports accredited mobile devices across a range of DOD environments." Even before the plan was established, the military already had more than 600,000 mobile devices on its networks.

With the new MDM system in place, the DOD will be able to provision and manage its growing number of mobile devices using continuous monitoring and security features like malware detection, over-the-air (OTA) distribution of applications and remote data-wipe. The application store will operate in conjunction with the MDM system. For example, the DOD will be able to install, update and delete applications on users' devices remotely. This will ensure that only approved apps can be distributed on devices cleared by the DOD.
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    08-08-13 12:23 PM

DMI has proven to be problematic so this article is also out of date. What is being missed in this, and what was added in the BB statement, is the BB10 device feature of Balance. This is where it differentiates and allows for personal along with secure.
    08-08-13 12:25 PM
    *Opens can of worms*
    LoL, I am sure Morgan remembers car stickers.
    "save the whales, harpoon a chubby chicken" or something like that.
    I was trying to predict how will the fan boys will spin in their favor and against blackberry sp?
    after all, everything any one else does it, is going to work against blackberry.
    and I am sick and tired of it, frankly
    08-08-13 12:29 PM
    I just initiated a short position in Tesla. I find the shares really overvalued. I am a big fan of Tesla and I thing they'll do well, but at twice Fiat's market cap, it just makes no sense. Fiat owns Fiat, Chrysler, Ferrari, Maserati, and many more brands.

Will be good diversification to my many BBRY shares.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 12:38 PM
    DMI has proven to be problematic so this article is also out of date. What is being missed in this, and what was added in the BB statement, is the BB10 device feature of Balance. This is where it differentiates and allows for personal along with secure.
    I fully understand that point, and would agree with it if not for my experience with DoD networking. It may happen, and I'll be happy to be wrong, but I can't see DoD allowing people to put whatever apps they want on a DoD phone.

Heck, we had a hard time putting specialized Army equipment, such as DCGS-A, on DoD networks. Although this has been fixed in CONUS, finally.

ETA: DMI stands for Digital Management, Inc. (DMI) of Bethesda, Md
    take99 likes this.
    08-08-13 12:39 PM
    I just initiated a short position in Tesla. I find the shares really overvalued. I am a big fan of Tesla and I thing they'll do well, but at twice Fiat's market cap, it just makes no sense. Fiat owns Fiat, Chrysler, Ferrari, Maserati, and many more brands.

Will be good diversification to my many BBRY shares.

Posted via CB10
    Agree 100% but I'm not planning to short it. Waiting for a decent pullback to go long.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 12:46 PM
    What is up with stock 9.67 down to .5 then up to .70 then down to 9.5 again. Grr
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-08-13 01:04 PM
    Channels preview looking good. Integration with twitter/FB. Took it from Alex's channel.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1375984048770_866404.png
    08-08-13 01:15 PM
    Channels preview looking good. Integration with twitter/FB. Took it from Alex's channel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1375984048770_866404.png 
Views:	1144 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	190819
    Looks good. But I think BlackBerry would have to support vanity names (instead of PIN like characters). Imagine Pepsi advertising on TV and saying "follow us on bbm @ c000123c123". That'd be ridiculous. Make it easy for Pepsi, "Follow us on BBM @ Pepsi Co"
    08-08-13 01:24 PM
    . I worked for the DoD for 28 years. They will control all apps on their network. Period.

.[/I]
    I respect your experience.
    however, BB10 is designed from ground up to run as two different OSs and I am sure you are aware of that. which allows blackberry to do things that none of the other OSs out there can do as of today, Period.
    I agree that only the time will tell and blackberry has to prove it because it is poor blackberry after all, which is not too for. I hope with in next six months.
    bungaboy and BlackistheBerry like this.
    08-08-13 01:35 PM
    Think of this for a minuet. If you are a serious enterprise customer that takes your security needs seriously, what MDM platform and devices would you choose? The DoD has done extensive security testing and due diligence and has put BlackBerry against he most rigorous security tests on planet earth. If you are an enterprise customer, why would you also not want the best there is?

So in a sense, if you are an enterprise customer, you really don't need to do the same due diligence yourself. The U.S. Department of Defense has already done the work for you and has given you the answer. So with BlackBerry now officially in the front door of the DoD, not only is this a two thumbs up for BlackBerry, but it is also a green light for many other organizations around the world to follow
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): The Importance Of The Department Of Defense Contract For BlackBerry - Seeking Alpha
    08-08-13 01:39 PM
    Looks good. But I think BlackBerry would have to support vanity names (instead of PIN like characters). Imagine Pepsi advertising on TV and saying "follow us on bbm @ c000123c123". That'd be ridiculous. Make it easy for Pepsi, "Follow us on BBM @ Pepsi Co"
    They prob will. This is just a preview. I agree that the channel # isn't practical.
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-08-13 01:44 PM

I don't see anything that addresses the issues I brought up in my post. All devices will access an in-house app store but only BlackBerry will be able to utilize its Balance feature. Android is completely shutdown and Apple has the restrictions that I posted in my message. If you can post something that updates those limitations from the DoD please do as we need to be kept up to date on any changes. So far, I haven't seen anything from the DoD that lifted any of those restrictions. There is nothing in Sith's argument that shows us the DoD granted additional benefits to Apple or Android. Thanks

http://dminc.com/disa-awards-mdmmas-contract-to-dmi/

This update has nothing to do with BlackBerry and its Balance feature, you need to look at all of the restrictions placed on each OS, BlackBerry is almost completely approved for all feature sets. No contest here.
    08-08-13 02:05 PM
    Think of this for a minuet. If you are a serious enterprise customer that takes your security needs seriously, what MDM platform and devices would you choose? The DoD has done extensive security testing and due diligence and has put BlackBerry against he most rigorous security tests on planet earth. If you are an enterprise customer, why would you also not want the best there is?

So in a sense, if you are an enterprise customer, you really don't need to do the same due diligence yourself. The U.S. Department of Defense has already done the work for you and has given you the answer. So with BlackBerry now officially in the front door of the DoD, not only is this a two thumbs up for BlackBerry, but it is also a green light for many other organizations around the world to follow
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): The Importance Of The Department Of Defense Contract For BlackBerry - Seeking Alpha
    I think the other key point will end up being if Android is just completely right out. I know my last firm would not support Android devices because of security concerns. If Android starts taking a beating for security reasons then that will help BBRY be an acceptable option. Apple is probably going to return to just selling two phones: a high end one and a plastic case one, both with 4" form factor. That might leave the phablet crowd looking at the Z30 as both secure and large enough for their needs.
    08-08-13 02:11 PM
  21. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    This is interesting...5/10 officially on BB10 at the moment. 8/10 with sideloads.

Attachment 190433
    Side loading is a kludge that most will never attempt and the relative few that do face a host of disadvantages wrt usability, stability, security, upgradeability etc. Lets stick with 5/10 shall we?
    BB10: 5/10
    iOS 10/10
    Android 10/10
    WP: Not sure, but I feel confident in saying BB10 at least has no significant advantage over WP in this respect.

BB10 battling to avoid last place on this issue. Sound familiar?
    08-08-13 02:11 PM
    Morgan, just a lot of experience, like I said before. I'll be glad to be shown wrong, but until I am, I'm not going to believe that BlackBerry App World will be available.

The DoD just does not work that way. I'll go with what DISA released about applications over a BBRY spokesman.
    08-08-13 02:17 PM
    Side loading is a kludge that most will never attempt and the relative few that do face a host of disadvantages wrt usability, stability, security, upgradeability etc. Lets stick with 5/10 shall we?
    iOS 10/10
    Android 10/10
    WP: Not sure, but I feel confident in saying BB10 at least has no significant advantage over WP in this respect.

One, welcome to 7 pages ago. Two, cite some cases where there are issues with sideloading. Google Maps, the top used app, runs beautifully on the new 4.2 runtime. Three, wanna talk about the DoD news?

I'm not trying to **** heads, but let's have an intelligent discussion.
    08-08-13 02:19 PM
    iOS 10/10
    Android 10/10

So I believe the point you are trying to make is that with the DOD announcement today, more enterprises customers will follow, and this will result in a greater incentive for developers to jump in and reduce the need for side loading.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 02:27 PM
    Stop feeding them! Let them wither, rot and die on the vine.
    08-08-13 02:27 PM
113,256 ... 16681669167016711672 ...