View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    NEWS!!!

"BlackBerry (Nasdaq: BBRY) announced the U.S. Defense Information System Agency (DISA) has given BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Q10 smartphones with BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, the Authority to Operate (ATO) on Department of Defense (DoD) networks. BlackBerry is the first Mobile Device Management (MDM) provider to obtain an ATO."

To support 10,000 BlackBerry 10 smartphones by this fall and 30,000 by the end of 2013 on DoD networks.

BlackBerry (BBRY) Receives Authority to Operate on U.S. DoD Networks

Posted via CB10
    Yaaa. Now it is time to show this
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-image.jpg
    08-08-13 09:52 AM
    It's great news, but not enough (as Morgan pointed out) to push this higher. However, it is a sign that great things are to come if we can just hold on a bit longer. As much as the media tries to bash BB, more corporations will go BB10 once they hear the DoD based their network off BB10 software. Believe me, I'm getting tired of waiting too.
    lc. I guess the next shoe to drop and foe shorts to utilize will be that Apple and Samsung received their ATO letters. This would be a good entry point Imo.
    08-08-13 09:56 AM
    Well it's nice to read some good news... especially for long term investors.

Also, I am constantly reading reports of Windows phones being more popular than BB? I am the only person I know that has a **** windows phone. Seriously, there is no way these phones are more popular than BB (in Canada atleast).
    08-08-13 09:56 AM
    Wow, you guys can ferret out the tiniest negative indication in any bit of news. Sheesh. I mean... good on you for careful reading.... but I can't see them building a system for up to 30,000 phones and only deploying 37.
    If you feed them they will grow!
    08-08-13 09:58 AM
    Things to think about:
    In late June, the Defense Department signed a $16 million three-year deal with a trio of contractors to secure 300,000 commercial devices, including iPhones, iPads, Samsung gadgets and BlackBerry 10s. USDA late last year hired the same vendors to provide a similar type of security package.

The military has set on a one-year deadline to secure 100,000 smartphones and tablets expected to be indispensable for service members coordinating defenses at home and abroad.

As of late July, about 1,370 devices were hooked-up to the mobile management system and officials expected to connect the remaining devices by September.

Blackberry was the first to get the Authority to Operate (ATO) on the new server.

This is just one government agency. There are more, many more…..

BAM!
    08-08-13 10:01 AM
    lc. I guess the next shoe to drop and foe shorts to utilize will be that Apple and Samsung received their ATO letters. This would be a good entry point Imo.
    Yeah, I just hope the members of this thread don't panic and start thinking negative thoughts when it's anounced. The other brands will get their ATO soon as well so we should be expecting that to hit the media at any time.
    dusdal, bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    08-08-13 10:03 AM

Also, I am constantly reading reports of Windows phones being more popular than BB? I am the only person I know that has a **** windows phone. Seriously, there is no way these phones are more popular than BB (in Canada atleast).
    Agreed. Although we both live in the same city so our pool of users may be the same. What did you observe while travelling through Japan.

I also noticed a similar 3rd place declaration for WP by WPCentral.
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    08-08-13 10:04 AM
    Agreed. Although we both live in the same city so our pool of users may be the same. What did you observe while travelling through Japan.

I also noticed a similar 3rd place declaration for WP by WPCentral.
    Hey man!

Yea, these reports are odd, especially when you read about Windows now being in 3rd... I find that hard to believe on a world-wide basis (maybe these are just US figures). Windows 8 OS is horrible, it may be a bit more efficient on a phone, but on a computer its a pain. Windows hopefully takes more time to market their new XBOX platform and fix the bugs of their new OS which will cost them a bit of time working on the phone product.

What did I observe in Japan? Oh man, high heels and short skirts were everywhere! Ha!

If you mean phones, well iPhone dominates forsure. Also, the Galaxy promotion was really, really strong. I saw BB's, but not really from locals, mostly from expats. I'd love BB to enter Japan again, but right now, I think it would be a death move. Not until they can get things going in markets where they are accepted can they re-enter Japan... Also, I find that marketing goes a much longer way in Japanese society, so BB's PR team would have to do some unreal tactical marketing procedures to get the Japanese people to switch. Basically there, its all or nothing.
    08-08-13 10:10 AM

All i am looking for is 5% of the total world wide smart phone sale for blackberry to be profitable. The rest is gravy. That will get the share price over $20 in no time IMO.
    08-08-13 10:20 AM
    Sounds good but you are going to need to expand upon your thoughts. What are you envisioning once a user sits down at his computer?
    I am just fantasizing here. I am envisioning a browser with BBM, BBM Channel, Money, Link, etc embedded - a BB console if you will that links your computer (where the passwords are stored) with a BB ID.
    When you open 'BB console/browser' on a different computer, it would ask you to enter your ID password again (as what BB is doing now if you own multiple BB devices), which would allow access to your cookies, passwords, etc., as well as credentials for your Link, BBM, etc. All this go through BB NOC. I am guessing that this might make the browser more secured?
    rarsen, morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    08-08-13 10:21 AM
    I wouldnt mind seeing a 22inch blackberry desktop (bb10 hdmi connected monitor) which i think already exists. The only thing it wouldnt be able to able handle is CAD type files. This gives me blackberry desktop browser. Most of the latest monitors have dual in already with hdmi option. Thats what TH already talking about. IMO blackberry is a software company first and microsoft first and apple is the second competition in near future.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-08-13 10:31 AM
    I am just fantasizing here. I am envisioning a browser with BBM, BBM Channel, Money, Link, etc embedded - a BB console if you will that links your computer (where the passwords are stored) with a BB ID.
    When you open 'BB console/browser' on a different computer, it would ask you to enter your ID password again (as what BB is doing now if you own multiple BB devices), which would allow access to your cookies, passwords, etc., as well as credentials for your Link, BBM, etc. All this go through BB NOC. I am guessing that this might make the browser more secured?
    As CrackBerry Kevin would say "I like the cut of your jib!"
    08-08-13 10:32 AM
    Isn't that what TH was getting at also when he stated his vision of mobile computing? I think he was getting at just plugging your device into/onto a docking station and you get all this. Right?
    08-08-13 10:35 AM
    Misek comments here on bbry getting out of the hardware biz

BlackBerry needs partners, analyst says - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News
    bungaboy, cjcampbell and Korepab like this.
    08-08-13 10:36 AM
    Things to think about:
    In late June, the Defense Department signed a $16 million three-year deal with a trio of contractors to secure 300,000 commercial devices, including iPhones, iPads, Samsung gadgets and BlackBerry 10s. USDA late last year hired the same vendors to provide a similar type of security package.

The military has set on a one-year deadline to secure 100,000 smartphones and tablets expected to be indispensable for service members coordinating defenses at home and abroad.

As of late July, about 1,370 devices were hooked-up to the mobile management system and officials expected to connect the remaining devices by September.

Blackberry was the first to get the Authority to Operate (ATO) on the new server.

This is just one government agency. There are more, many more…..

BAM!
    To be honest, I really don't care how many phones BB sells to the government, just as long as those 300,000 ipads or android devices are sending a fat check to BBRY for being on BES10
    08-08-13 10:44 AM
    Are we actually awaiting iOS and Samsung to gain this ATO approval in the coming days?

Would it be ATO with caveats?

This was in today's blog post from ZDnet:

A BlackBerry spokesperson explained in an email to ZDNet: "DoD users can fully embrace all of the consumer features – applications, games, multimedia, social networking — while still having full access to their DoD email."

Wasn't it only severely limited iOS devices that were approved for instance? and only when on an MDM?
    08-08-13 10:51 AM
    Hi Trolls, I know most of you trolls must be shorties or why else would you spend so much effort to try and trash Blackberry. My question ... and just be honest cause I can take it ... Are you starting to get nervous yet?
    08-08-13 10:57 AM
    Misek said BlackBerry should give itself until Christmas to figure out whether it can sustain the manufacturing side of its business model.

"If they don’t have a good holiday season [in terms of sales] then it makes sense for the business to be in someone else’s hands," he said.
    08-08-13 11:02 AM
    Are we actually awaiting iOS and Samsung to gain this ATO approval in the coming days?

A BlackBerry spokesperson explained in an email to ZDNet: "DoD users can fully embrace all of the consumer features – applications, games, multimedia, social networking — while still having full access to their DoD email."

Wasn't it only severely limited iOS devices that were approved for instance? and only when on an MDM?
    Yes... It was only devices on OS version 6. None of the updated ones and yes, managed. What I am curious about is have they changed that since the news regarding the charger hack. Apple has stated that they have no plans to patch that until OS7 comes out.
    08-08-13 11:05 AM
    I believe there are different levels of access and functionality allowed on phone running on the servers. Therefore, not all phone will have all features taken away.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 11:14 AM
    Heymargaret Misek has been saying this since he turned bullish on the company last year. His sp valuation has never given much value to bbry hardware, he sees a big MDM play, this has always been his hypothesis rightly or wrongly.
    08-08-13 11:22 AM

yaa, as they say the difference between a horse and a donkey. media can keep blackberry down only for so long. security along with pleasure is more important than pleasure alone without the security.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bad130807.jpg
    08-08-13 11:28 AM
    [QUOTE=Are we actually awaiting iOS and Samsung to gain this ATO approval in the coming days?

Wasn't it only severely limited iOS devices that were approved for instance? and only when on an MDM?QUOTE]

Using a theoretical example of a broken phone at one of Formula 1′s Far Eastern races, Collinson explained the advantage BlackBerry has over its rivals. ”If you take an example where you have a user at an event in, let’s say Malaysia, and they break their phone, an Android. How do you provision that remotely, if you’re not using some sort of managed backend service?,” he asked. ”With a BlackBerry, a standard BlackBerry, you give them another one, remote provision it and everything is exactly as they left it.” Collinson continued, adding it’s even simpler with the newer BlackBerry models. ”It’s easier with BB10, with the universal device service to reproduce that on Android and iOS,” he said.
    BlackBerry keeps Force India Formula 1 team ahead in the game. IT chief praises “strong security” & excellent management system | BBin - India 's Best BlackBerry Community
    08-08-13 11:33 AM
    I believe there are different levels of access and functionality allowed on phone running on the servers. Therefore, not all phone will have all features taken away.

Posted via CB10
    There sure are differences:

Only Crippled iOS iPhone & iPad Approved by US DoD for Government Work - BerryReview

◾No Safari browser (you have to use a containerized browser that will have far fewer features)
    ◾No iMessage
    ◾No iTunes
    ◾No App Store (as in only apps the DoD allows on your device through their own App Store)
    ◾Containerized segregated email client
    ◾No Wi-Fi access on DoD Wi-Fi networks though you can use it at home or publicly
    ◾Must be connected to a MDM (Mobile Device Management) solution

The last point is one of the most interesting. To be able to use an iOS device or Android device on the DoD network it must be hooked up to an MDM. Currently the only approved MDM is BlackBerry Enterprise Service.

Those are enough restrictions for me to never want an iPhone, now have a look at Android, it gets much worse:

"The Android Market will be banned, and all web browsing must be done through a DoD proxy server. On top of these restrictions, classified information cannot be sent, received or accessed using the Android handsets."
    08-08-13 11:49 AM
    BBRY has GREEN all over it today. Woot Woot! May not last, but good to see right now.
    08-08-13 11:52 AM
113,256 ... 16671668166916701671 ...