View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Probable reason for SP drop today is all the numbers out...

comScore: BlackBerry Just Lost 15% Of Its US Subscriber Base In One Quarter - Forbes

comScore Reports June 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Sorry BlackBerry: based on shipments, Windows Phone is running ahead — Tech News and Analysis

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24257413

Sorry I didn't post these earlier but I thought they were old news. Mea Culpa.

Edit... well, technically they are old news because it is mostly old data, but I thought they had been posted before.
    Last edited by Bugmapper; 08-07-13 at 01:28 PM.
    08-07-13 01:18 PM
    So, the biggest surprise, according to Forbes is that BlackBerry lost market share in the US when comparing the 3 month average ending March against the 3 month average ending June.

He mentions that June was when both phones were out, however, the Q will appear for June for, maybe two weeks. Being that the figure is averaged over April/May/June it will also be lumped in with the months of falling marketshare due to there being zero new product.

I am surprised that he is surprised. Shame they couldn't pull out just the June figures.
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    08-07-13 01:33 PM
    24 days of Q10 in June, but the market share is still falling. And the first month is supposed to be the strongest.

comScore:
    May: 4.8%
    June: 4.4%
    dusdal likes this.
    08-07-13 01:40 PM
  4. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    So, the biggest surprise, according to Forbes is that BlackBerry lost market share in the US when comparing the 3 month average ending March against the 3 month average ending June.

He mentions that June was when both phones were out, however, the Q will appear for June for, maybe two weeks. Being that the figure is averaged over April/May/June it will also be lumped in with the months of falling marketshare due to there being zero new product.

I am surprised that he is surprised. Shame they couldn't pull out just the June figures.
    Shame that the "wait until next quarter" excuse doesn't hold much water for most anymore. The Z30 will be out this fall. BBRY, if history is any indication, will release it in a stepwise fashion (UK/Canada, on down through the markets where their collapse is less evident) through the fall. When the poor sales numbers come out will you be back with the same excuse? "The Z30 wasn't fully reflected in sales etc etc".

At a certain point, you have to realize that it is BBRY who is lagging the market here. How long was BB10 promised for? How many delays? This is business, not golf. Handicaps are not given.
    08-07-13 01:44 PM
    Reading the tea leaves... should we be concerned with BlackBerry 's market share (reported but unofficial) numbers? Or us this company reinventing itself as a social media company with x-platform bbm and valued based on future bbm subscribers?
    08-07-13 01:46 PM
    I'm still trying to understand what one's point is in this forum. (no name mentioned)
    08-07-13 01:46 PM
    It seems that the difference between the comScore figures and Kantar is that of marketshare vs shipments ? Is that correct?

If so, Kantar showed growth in shipments (0.4%) from May to June, while comScore showed an equivalent drop in marketshare between May and June. Depending on which of these sources is more credible.

Logically this makes sense. They have a much larger installed base when compared to a quarter of sales. The drop in marketshare in a growing market is not good of course. While the growth in sales during the month of release of the new product is a good sign IMO.
    08-07-13 01:50 PM
    I'm still trying to understand what one's point is in this forum. (no name mentioned)
    A wild guess, but probably just to be an annoying pest in the #$#%.
    08-07-13 01:55 PM
    It seems that the difference between the comScore figures and Kantar is that of marketshare vs shipments ? Is that correct?

If so, Kantar showed growth in shipments (0.4%) from May to June, while comScore showed an equivalent drop in marketshare between May and June. Depending on which of these sources is more credible.

Logically this makes sense. They have a much larger installed base when compared to a quarter of sales. The drop in marketshare in a growing market is not good of course. While the growth in sales during the month of release of the new product is a good sign IMO.
    Comscore is installed base (phones in hands) while Kantar is the number of phones sold in a 3 month period.

Or as people like to say Kantar is a leading indicator while Comscore is a lagging indicator.
    08-07-13 01:56 PM
    08-07-13 02:00 PM
    Comscore is installed base (phones in hands) while Kantar is the number of phones sold in a 3 month period.

Or as people like to say Kantar is a leading indicator while Comscore is a lagging indicator.
    Got you. thanks.

So the lagging indicator fell 0.4% and the leading indicator rose 0.4% in June ?
    08-07-13 02:01 PM
    We must all realize that the 3 executives being shown the door is a very positive move. All other executives will realize that they must 'Keep Moving' or take the door. Blackberry management needs to be lean and fast. No room for dead wood or redundancy at this point in time.
    That's a very simplistic way of looking at things - in a crisis and where we don't have all the details, the firing could be random, based on politics or all sorts of other factors - what you can actually get is a toxic atmosphere that leads to an exodus of talent.

Now from the outside we simply have no way of knowing but that is why we should avoid buying into either extreme position.
    08-07-13 02:03 PM

LoL, and GSStatcounter showing a HUGHE increase.
    StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share
    LoL, I was just about to say "where are you"? and you beat me to it. well come back
    08-07-13 02:04 PM
    Resident 'pos'? Every forum has to have one I guess...

A wild guess, but probably just to be an annoying pest in the #$#%.
    08-07-13 02:04 PM
    LoL, and GSStatcounter showing a HUGHE increase.
    StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share
    LoL, I was just about to say "where are you"? and you beat me to it. well come back
    Haha, well. It's going to look terrible when they correct that data the same way they corrected Canada.
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-07-13 02:08 PM
    Haha, well. It's going to look terrible when they correct that data the same way they corrected Canada.
    LoL,
    Ai say, Canada is showing BBos7 and us is showing BB10.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-foghorn_henery.jpg
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-07-13 02:12 PM
    Got you. thanks.

So the lagging indicator fell 0.4% and the leading indicator rose 0.4% in June ?
    If you put it that way it sounds like good news But yes, they are somewhat decoupled - unless your sales (market share) is very high your installed base will not change very rapidly.
    dusdal and anon(4086547) like this.
    08-07-13 02:13 PM
  18. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Rogers getting deeper into mobile device management - Page 1 - Departmental and End User Computing

Recently, Gouveia said, Rogers signed a more detailed contract with Tangoe allowing it to bring more of the software in-house and to offer a more formal MDM service.
    As a result, he said, in September Rogers will make a big marketing push to enterprises for business.

The cost of that service alone ranges from $4 to $7 per device a month (or less if there are a lot of devices), Gouveia said depending on whether the customers oversees the management through a portal or if Rogers [TSX: RCI.A]handles most of the work.
    I hadn't really thought about it, but it does make a lot of sense to get MDM from the company carrier. These days, although handsets are more varied in a company as a result of BYOD etc, most companies still standardize on a phone carrier. They already have a billing setup, carrier contacts for service, and a lot of money flowing. Tacking on a few bucks per month per employee would be a friction free way to take care of MDM too. Of course the data pipeline is also already by definition there anywhere for remote wipe and restore/privilege escalation and deescalation)/various admin scoldings about usage etc that may affect costs. Makes perfect sense, although bad news for external MDM competitors like BES 10.
    08-07-13 02:32 PM
    Does that mean you're leaving us for Roger(s)? :-(

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 02:35 PM
  20. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I believe they will stay in hardware business. IMO They may even go one step further when producing specialized devices for medical or automotive sector etc.
    The hand waving here is truly something to behold. I know nothing about the automotive sector, but while it is not my primary field, I have close contacts involved in the biomedical technology industry. Lets just say there are several large, well entrenched competitors. GE has a large footprint, for example. In addition, the regulatory hurdles involved with getting new devices to the stage where they interface either physically or electronically with patients or their records are... considerable.

Thankfully since lives are on the line this is not a field where you can just waltz in and say, 'QNX! Real time! Multitask! Nuclear subs! Spaceships (although one mid-size competitor in this field did start out in astronaut biotelemetry some decades ago)!'

Unless they have had a skunkworks program going, it would take several years and billions of dollars to have the table stakes to play in this market. The sales and service logistics alone (you need staff that can respond in very short time spans compared to most businesses), assuming you actually get approved products, would be a phenomenal expense to set up.
    08-07-13 02:58 PM
    blackberry just really needs to step up their marketing and show how different their BB10 products are from the older devices.

Most of my friends don't even know that there are "new" BB phones. One of them said they would never get one to which I asked "why?". She could not answer. When she did finally answer, she said "I just didn't like that little ball"...........im in NYC mind you, so not middle of nowhere USA
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    08-07-13 03:06 PM
    Disclosure: more unreliable, low credibility data which exhibits my personal bias as a shareholder. And tastes great in kool-aid.

Casually checking in on Best Buy USA bestsellers every week or two. Changes are from my last check last week of July to today.

Verizon: the Z10 moved from 18th to 17th.

AT&T: ($50 promotion) the Z10 moved from 11th to 8th. (still ahead of HTC One which also has promotion)

T-Mobile: Z10 moved from 11th to 5th.

For whatever reason the Q10 only seems to appear on the unlocked lists.
    cjcampbell, lcjr, _dimi_ and 9 others like this.
    08-07-13 03:09 PM
    TSLA investors are about to go for another nice ride. Good for them, wish I had gotten in for a bit but tied up my money here with BBRY.
    08-07-13 03:11 PM
    +

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 03:11 PM
    Ok, tomorrow I'm wearing a GREEN shirt. The RED shirt I'm wearing today was not good and matches the SP today.Sorry about that. lol
    08-07-13 03:13 PM
113,251 ... 16621663166416651666 ...