View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I wonder what the inventors of ECC think about this article and the risks we might be facing :-) if you can come up with these improved methods you're probably in the best position to predict the outcome of the older ones

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:56 PM
    Now if BlackBerry can start licensing some of the ECC technology to various security companies... BOOM... another revenue stream.
    08-06-13 07:04 PM

Go Blackberry!!

No idea what all that security/patent info means but if Morgan likes it, it must be important.

On another note: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    08-06-13 07:36 PM
    Now if BlackBerry can start licensing some of the ECC technology to various security companies... BOOM... another revenue stream.
    Why license it when they can simply provide the solution head on.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 07:50 PM
    Why license it when they can simply provide the solution head on.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe they already do... in their network.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    08-06-13 08:24 PM
  6. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I'm just saying rubber is an insulator.
    Yes, most compounds including rubber are insulators if you really just want to discuss material science.

You of course said said more than that. Specifically:
    "Aluminum backing = Conductive
    If they wanted to prevent future tragedies, they'd start using more rubber and plastic in their designs."

This death had nothing to do with improper design or manufacture of the phone used by the victim. A counterfeit charger malfunctioned and delivered energy sufficient to kill the user.
    08-06-13 08:27 PM
    Maybe they already do... in their network.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    Perhaps that's the key...get it....to the DOD lcjr is referencing.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 08:27 PM
    I am wondering if patents are worth the paper they are written on anymore?
    08-06-13 08:48 PM
    Math Advance Suggest RSA Encryption Could Fall Within 5 Years - Slashdot

Unfortunately, (for American Companies) key patents for implementing elliptic curve cryptography are controlled by BlackBerry...

Baaaaaaaaam!
    Very cool.

With a wide range of award-winning software and hardware solutions, Certicom, a wholly owned subsidiary of Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM), protects billions of dollars worth of content and millions of devices around the world. With over 350 patents and patents pending worldwide covering key aspects of Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC), Certicom provides the core technology for the National Security Agency (NSA) Suite B standard for secure government communications.
    08-06-13 08:51 PM
    I recall BlackBerry, Apple and Sammy having to pay a pretty decent kick to Nokia for some radio licenses.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-06-13 08:59 PM
    I recall BlackBerry, Apple and Sammy having to pay a pretty decent kick to Nokia for some radio licenses.

Posted via CB10
    Well, if it's in the interest of National Security, then:

Stamos .................. said, adding that if RSA and Diffie-Hellman were broken, the U.S. government would likely overturn Certicom’s patents in the national interest. “If the cryptopocalypse happens, those patents are not going to last.”
    08-06-13 09:04 PM
    Yes, most compounds including rubber are insulators if you really just want to discuss material science.

You of course said said more than that. Specifically:
    "Aluminum backing = Conductive
    If they wanted to prevent future tragedies, they'd start using more rubber and plastic in their designs."

This death had nothing to do with improper design or manufacture of the phone used by the victim. A counterfeit charger malfunctioned and delivered energy sufficient to kill the user.
    And what was the conductive medium that actually delivered the fatal charge?
    08-06-13 09:23 PM
  13. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    The death resulting from this happened back in mid-July though, so not new or relevant information to this thread.

We all know what the title of this thread is...this issue has absolutely nothing to do with supporting BBRY so please stop.
    This topic was started by someone else and generated a fair bit of discussion, all of which, as far as I can tell anyway, was relevant enough to be left intact by *actual* moderators.

In the original exchanges:
    1) It was implied that it was Apples' fault. See the text I quoted in my previous post for an example. There were calls for a massive Apple product recall, even invoking 'the children' and their safety.
    -this of course is not the case.
    2) Turns out that not only was it not Apples' fault (counterfeit charger malfunctioned), but they are now going beyond what would be considered necessary to actually ameliorate a serious problem that is not of their making with the 'take back' program announced today. Certainly relevant info, not to mention role model behaviour for a corporate citizen.

I may be oversensitive, but I thought detected a hint of unseemly opportunism in some of the initial discussions of this incident (eg asking for a "massive product recall", 'for the children' yet). A tragedy involving Apple products might damage their reputation, indirectly benefiting their competitors. Hopefully I was mistaken. Be that as it may, it is apparent now that Apple is at the very least 'in the clear' here. *If* anyone counted on reputation damage to a BBRY competitor from this tragic incident, they should consider this new information in their calculuses.
    08-06-13 09:24 PM
    This topic was started by someone else and generated a fair bit of discussion, all of which, as far as I can tell anyway, was relevant enough to be left intact by *actual* moderators.

In the original exchanges:
    1) It was implied that it was Apples' fault. See the text I quoted in my previous post for an example. There were calls for a massive Apple product recall, even invoking 'the children' and their safety.
    -this of course is not the case.
    2) Turns out that not only was it not Apples' fault (counterfeit charger malfunctioned), but they are now going beyond what would be considered necessary to actually ameliorate a serious problem that is not of their making with the 'take back' program announced today. Certainly relevant info, not to mention role model behaviour for a corporate citizen.

I may be oversensitive, but I thought detected a hint of unseemly opportunism in some of the initial discussions of this incident (eg asking for a "massive product recall", 'for the children' yet). A tragedy involving Apple products might damage their reputation, indirectly benefiting their competitors. Hopefully I was mistaken. Be that as it may, it is apparent now that Apple is at the very least 'in the clear' here. *If* anyone counted on reputation damage to a BBRY competitor from this tragic incident, they should consider this new information in their calculuses.
    The charge malfunctioned, yes, but in what manner? There's a path it had to follow to produce the discharge.

If the charging circuit wasn't grounded properly, it could have energized the backplane of the phone. That's all I've been saying in regards to their phone design.

Maybe Apple realized there was a point of failure in their own devices that was being taken care of by their chargers, therefore they offered the straight trade up of 3rd party chargers.
    08-06-13 09:35 PM
    Probably better to post and discuss the new information in this thread now since it is dedicated to the topic. - http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...cution-828796/

Although it was discussed in this thread, it was a tangential topic that hasn't been talked about in a couple weeks here. There's probably hundreds of tangential topics in a 1660 page thread, and it's going to get really messy if they keep getting updated in here after the initial discussion has died out.
    08-06-13 09:37 PM
    08-06-13 11:29 PM
    Don't remind me! I have a 52 Page patent that is only lining the bird cage at the moment. Took me a year to get it, and spent too much money to admit to.

(no bueno).
    BergerKing and Bugmapper like this.
    08-07-13 12:19 AM
    Hi Morgan,

Who is this Abigail that you refer to and could you please, if possible, provide a link to her chart pattern?

Many thanks.

Let's have a look at BBRY:

Abigail's chart pattern is starting to shape up here and she is very bullish. After that, its all about the Q10 sales going into late September. Good luck and keep up the good work JLagoon and cj!
    08-07-13 02:41 AM
    The charge malfunctioned, yes, but in what manner? There's a path it had to follow to produce the discharge.

If the charging circuit wasn't grounded properly, it could have energized the backplane of the phone. That's all I've been saying in regards to their phone design.

Maybe Apple realized there was a point of failure in their own devices that was being taken care of by their chargers, therefore they offered the straight trade up of 3rd party chargers.
    From past experience, if this electrocution happened with a Blackberry device, Blackberry would be in denial. Apple decided to "own it" and is turning an unfortunate situation into a win. I can even imagine Blackberry doing what Apple decided to do.

This thread proves that "some" will do anything to not miss a chance to bash their competition in hope of elevating their favorite brand. Best of luck on that.
    08-07-13 03:58 AM
    Hi Morgan,

Who is this Abigail that you refer to and could you please, if possible, provide a link to her chart pattern?

Many thanks.
    This Stock to Double And More, Says Analyst | Talking Numbers - Yahoo! Finance
    08-07-13 04:45 AM
    From past experience, if this electrocution happened with a Blackberry device, Blackberry would be in denial. Apple decided to "own it" and is turning an unfortunate situation into a win. I can even imagine Blackberry doing what Apple decided to do.

This thread proves that "some" will do anything to not miss a chance to bash their competition in hope of elevating their favorite brand. Best of luck on that.
    OK, enough with this.
    I can feel the mod police getting hot.
    Please stand to the topic, a 2-3 posts OT is OK ... but pages about this is useless and -worse- we have to dig for valuable content. I sincerely hope it's not anyone's goal ... ok, it's not - say.

Thank you very much, all.
    rarsen, bungaboy, Randeman and 6 others like this.
    08-07-13 05:01 AM
    I agree - if people want to argue the technical merits of licking a battery - surely that can take it to an off-topic thread somewhere else? It's not particularly germane to the conversation here.
    08-07-13 05:35 AM
    3 more executives leaving.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitche...r-layoffs.html

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 05:37 AM
    3 more executives leaving.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitche...r-layoffs.html

Posted via CB10
    At least this one is BlackBerry's decision and not those people quiting.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-07-13 06:39 AM
    At least this one is BlackBerry's decision and not those people quiting.

Posted via CB10
    Yep but it's all about spinning, as always.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-07-13 06:53 AM
113,256 ... 16581659166016611662 ...