View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    9M Smartphone Shipped In India In Q2 2013, 3rd Largest Smartphone Market: Canalys - MediaNama
    9M Smartphone Shipped In India In Q2 2013, 3rd Largest Smartphone Market: Canalys

By Apurva Chaudhary on Aug 6th, 2013 | Post Comment and 0 Reactions
    Email Email anonymous tip off
    inShare

canalys logoIndia is now the third largest smartphone market with 9 million smartphone shipments hitting a growth rate of 129% in Q2 2013. Around 238.1 million smartphone units were shipped worldwide in Q2, a 50% year-on-year (YoY) increase, according to a report by Canalys.

In India, Samsung took a third of the Indian market (~ 33%) this quarter followed by local vendor Micromax at 22%, Karbonn, Sony and Nokia taking the top five position in the market. The research firm attributes the success of local vendors such as Micromax and Karbonn to their agility to respond to local market demands.

Canalys-

Note that this is only a smartphone shipment from vendors estimate provided by Canalys for more than 50 countries that it tracks.

Other Highlights:

- Samsung and Apple grew its global shipment by 55% and 20% respectively followed by Lenovo with growth rate of 131% and Yulong with growth rate of 216%.

- Samsung shipped 75.6 million smartphone handsets in Q2 2013, while Apple shipped 31.2 million smartphone handsets. Lenovo shipped 11.3 million units followed by Yulong with 10.8 million units shipment. Collectively, the five Chinese vendors shipping the most devices worldwide (Lenovo, Yulong, Huawei, ZTE and Xiaomi) made up 20% of the total market, up from less than 15% a year ago.

- Shipments in China grew 108% year-on-year, the second highest growth rate of the major markets, to 88.1 million. China is followed by the US with 32.9 million shipments in Q2 2013 where the growth rate was just 36%.

- Android powered 190 million or 80% of the total smartphone handsets shipped in Q2 2013, registering a growth of 79% YoY. Apple’s iOS market share fell to 13%, whereas BlackBerry retained 3% market share and Microsoft’s Windows Phone with 3%. Windows Phone Shipments grew by 54% YoY, mainly driven by Nokia with 31% sequential growth in Windows Phone shipments, while BlackBerry’s Shipments grew sequentially by 15%. Symbian shipments slipped under the million mark in Q2 2013.
    08-06-13 07:49 AM
    Anyone know Market Share numbers among the different players in China?

General info about Apple:
    What Did Apple's Tim Cook Discuss With China Mobile? - Forbes
    Apple offers discount to replace third-party chargers | ZDNet
    08-06-13 08:05 AM
    OT Alert..... Hi Morgan, I see you're reading so I just wanted to ask your opinion on IMG. I thought last week that the 50-dma would act as support and be the downside on this next cycle as it was stiff resistance on the way down over the last few months. Looking at IAG today, that theory, so far, seems to have held true. What are your thoughts on it and is this a reasonable assumption on my part or do you feel it could drop back below? Feel free to PM me should everyone feel this may be a little off topic for this particular forum.
    Hi cjcambell!!

I think it is okay to comment on IMG this one time. There are several here who took me up on this stock and bought it below $ 4.00/US so here goes.

The stock is in need of some support right at the 50-dma, but you have to look at Spot Gold as your lead indicator for this play:

The stock in US dollars:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-iag-august-6-2013-chart.jpg

The stock became a strong Buy under the $ 4.00 mark, it rallied to $ 5.50/shr/US in short order but it stalled as soon as Gold hit resistance at $ 1350.00/oz. You need to follow Spot Gold for the next direction which I tend to think for the stock is still downward until we get to at least $ 4.50/shr/US. The reason being is that Gold isn't finished falling here and I'm not bullish on it yet despite the next two months normally being good ones for the metal.

Spot Gold:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-spot-gold-iag-august-6-2013-chart.jpg

Gold has a little ways to go on the downside here and that's enough to drag IAG-IMG with it. When Gold drops to the lower end of the channel, I would have a look at it again. For me, the time to sell was when Gold hit $ 1350.00/oz.

When I'm "thanking" or "liking" posts and not posting,... alas, I'm out with my wife and reading CB on the Z10! That's why I'm not posting as she will throw the phone in the nearest pond if she knew! Good luck!
    08-06-13 08:05 AM
    Thanks Morgan. Greatly appreciated.
    morganplus8 and BergerKing like this.
    08-06-13 08:13 AM
    BlackBerry seems to improve advertising in Germany too. I see more advertising in TV / Internernet but also in Newspapers, for example a huge advert in the "S�ddeutsche Zeitung", one of the biggest newspapers . I have also seen promotional offers in "Der Spiegel", the biggest news magazine in Germany, and they made huge adverts for this.
    08-06-13 08:14 AM
    Sorry, I should have posted this link instead...

China’s top five vendors account for 20% of the world’s smart phone shipments - See more at: China

Shipments in China grew 108% year-on-year, the second highest growth rate of the major markets, to 88.1 million. This represented over a third of all worldwide shipments. Lenovo took second place in China this quarter, where it shipped 10.8 million smart phones. 95% of its total 11.3 million shipments were in its home market, helping take it to third place in the worldwide smart phone market for the first time. ‘Lenovo has benefited from its large TD-SCDMA product portfolio, much of which is aimed at the low-end,’ said Nicole Peng, Research Director, China. ‘China Mobile's strategy of continuously pushing TD-SCDMA smart phones to the mass market benefits local vendors, in particular Lenovo and Yulong. The critical task for these vendors now though is to reduce their reliance on their home market and grow their businesses internationally. To achieve this they will need to invest in patents, establishing local teams and channels as well as diversifying their product portfolios to attract a broader range of consumer segments.’ - See more at: China
    08-06-13 08:19 AM

Largest Billboard on Times square right now . Photo taken last night....won't make a huge difference in sales but it's a brave company Statement : "we're Back and we're here to stay".
    Well done

Posted via CB10
    I'm glad they made those type of statements. I am fan of companies who do that. Why hold back, especially when you are trying to make a comeback and re-establish your legitimacy?
    08-06-13 08:26 AM
    Over $10 on TSX.
    Compaqee, sidhuk and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-06-13 08:32 AM
    Let's have a look at BBRY:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-august-6-2013-chart.jpg

Two weeks ago, I mentioned that BBRY would be breaking out last week, on Wednesday to be precise, and that it would rally to the mid $ 9.00 area. It did exactly that. It went positive on Wednesday at the close by clearing the 3-ema and the 5-dma for the frist time in 22 days of trade. On Thursday, it confirmed the breakout and moved higher on Friday setting us up for Monday's pop. On Monday, as cjcampbell pointed out, we stalled out at the top of the Bollinger Bands as expected:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-august-6a-2013-chart.jpg

This was no surprise, especially to cj, who saw that happening, and announced it early in the day. So now, we need to see those bands expand and follow them higher from here. If you want to know where the stock is going just follow the upper band today while the stock is rising. Note that these bands are very narrow, moreso than when we broke out for a major rally from the November lows. Most techies see the rally as lasting only until $ 10.88/shr but I think we are in for far more than that, say at least $ 12.50/shr - $ 12.80/shr this time around. This will take weeks to get there though. The roll-out of BBM cross platform and BB 10.2 are my two important news events to look for. The news regarding Samsung was helpful but this stock was ready for a rally days before that came out. As I mentioned in my past posts, we aren't likely to see our recent lows again barring a major correction in the general market. Abigail's chart pattern is starting to shape up here and she is very bullish. After that, its all about the Q10 sales going into late September. Good luck and keep up the good work JLagoon and cj!
    08-06-13 08:33 AM
    Good morning everyone! I can get used to these three day weekends, but the hit to the pocketbook sucks. I see the SP is doing much better and if we can hold this we'll be on our way back up I think. This should be a good week for us.
    08-06-13 08:36 AM
    Some analysis on yesterday's announcement.

Samsung Teases BBM For Android As BlackBerry Tips More Of Its Hand Regarding BBM Platform Play | TechCrunch

"In terms of potential upside, BlackBerry could lock in more users for a platform that could become very valuable in terms of data, advertising and other initiatives like BBM Money. If, in partnering with competitors to reach more users, it makes it easier for a few platform-jumpers, that’s a small price to pay at this stage in the game"
    08-06-13 08:41 AM
    Nice gap up on TSX should make the mainstream news in Canada... in a positive way for a change. May even finish up 10%.... makes an easy story for media I hope.
    08-06-13 08:48 AM
    Morgan hit it on the head on IMG. Glad I didn't pull the trigger last week.
    08-06-13 08:58 AM
    10:30 like clockwork!
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-06-13 09:30 AM
    10:30 like clockwork!
    Isnt that on time?
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    08-06-13 09:33 AM
    Isnt that on time?
    Yup. Now that there is some activity on BBRY the daily swing trading starts again.
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-06-13 09:38 AM
    08-06-13 09:44 AM
    I am also on 1047, how did you configure that?

Posted via CB10
    Me too!
    1. Enable BT and pair your Z10 to your computer
    2. In settings/Networks, enable the Modem mode ...
    Should be as simple than that !
    P.S: we're OT ... so please, don't ask more (I won't answer here); if problems or question, just search the Z10 section or post a new thread !
    08-06-13 10:10 AM
    08-06-13 10:48 AM
    Key points.

"In my opinion, the culprit of yesterday's rally was the news that Samsung (SSNLF.PK) announced that BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) will soon be available via Google Play and the Samsung App store for customers across Africa."

"The question is, why Africa? Well if you remember my previous post on the subject, BlackBerry is not just the coolest brand in South Africa, it also commands about 50% of the smartphone market. Yes Android will probably be catching up, however please note that all these people have been accustomed to using BBM for their basic communication needs for many years now. So if all of a sudden Samsung tells them that they can continue to do so, even if they own a Samsung Android device, then they will continue to communicate as before, even if they might not own a BlackBerry device anymore."
    Randeman and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-06-13 11:07 AM
    Can anyone help! The background of this forum turned into black. How can I switch it back to previous one?
    08-06-13 11:16 AM
    Can anyone help! The background of this forum turned into black. How can I switch it back to previous one?
    Are you on mobile?
    08-06-13 11:25 AM
    Scroll down, down and down! There should be a link for desktop / normal version.
    08-06-13 11:29 AM
    There seems to be a solid line of patient buyers. I think Morgan was right when he suggested we will see slow SP growth over the next few weeks. If we can scratch out a few pennies everyday that would be great. I called the bottom last Thursday as I was seeing signs of traction and it's starting to look like we could be in for a very interesting couple of quarters. BB10 - the word is starting to get out there!
    08-06-13 11:33 AM
    Good luck and be patient.
    Thanks all for your patience with me yesterday and apologies for a few incoherent posts. After digging through my online trading account I now know exactly what I bought. I have purchased 77 shares @ $9.5999 USD per share (plus commission). PM looks good so who knows maybe in the green by the end of the day ;-)
    08-06-13 11:35 AM
113,256 ... 16551656165716581659 ...