View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
  1. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    The information about iMessage is likely not correct since most experts believe that Apple has the ability to retrieve messages and provide them to governments if ordered to. Apple hasn't exactly come out and said that iMessages are completely immune to government requests as well. The reality is that communications are not going to be secure from government interference. There's really no way around it if a company wants to operate in a particular country.

Are Your Apple iMessages Really Safe From Prying Eyes?

In fact, as the former Apple employee himself admitted, the set of cryptographic keys only rules out the possibility of real-time interception. They don't prevent Apple from accessing the iMessages and turning them over at a later time to the NSA, DEA or other law enforcement agency.

iMessages are automatically stored in Apple's backup system iCloud. As Ars Technica reported last year, Apple holds the keys to any data stored there.

"The conversation history that you've had, the messages that you've received and have been decrypted by that device, are part of its normal data backup," the former Apple employee said. "If you were to do a restore onto a new phone from say your iCloud backup or a backup you own, you get those messages back that way. That's historical data � that's saved."

This doesn't necessarily mean Apple is spying on your iMessages. But technically, once your messages are backed up, Apple could retrieve them.

Last year, cryptography researcher and professor Matthew Green explained the issue in a blog post, with a simple thought experiment called "the mud puddle test." The test consists of three steps:

1. First, drop your device(s) in a mud puddle.
    2. Next, slip in said puddle and crack yourself on the head. When you regain consciousness you'll be perfectly fine, but won't for the life of you be able to recall your device passwords or keys.
    3. Now try to get your cloud data back.

If you successfully retrieve the iCloud data, then Apple can gain access to it � as can the government and any rogue employee who "knows their way around your provider's internal policy checks," Green wrote.

There is a technical possibility that iCloud data may still be encrypted and unreadable even to Apple, but Green's view is widely shared among security researchers. In a blog post commenting on the DEA's complaint, Julian Sanchez, a civil liberties and technology research fellow at the Cato Institute, wrote, "iMessages may not be interceptable from a suspect�s cell carrier, but Apple has to be capable of handing them over when the authorities come knocking with a warrant."

Apple did not answer multiple requests for comment for this story, and they have never revealed details behind their encryption scheme � for neither iMessage nor iCloud.

"If Apple can restore messages or data to your device, and if they are able to do this even after you've forgotten your password and they've reset it, it means they almost certainly have some technical way to view that data," Tom Ritter, a security researcher, wrote in an email to Mashable. "It's just extremely unlikely that Apple is able to provide a restore functionality and doesn't have those messages in a readable format somewhere."
    Oh, I agree. There is certainly a possibility that iMessages can be recovered or even intercepted. Simply get physical access to pretty much any device and all bets re security are off. That is not even considering all sorts of possibilities that a huge government infrastructure can bring to bear (quantum computers to factor some... large numbers anyone?)

The fact is though, that right now BBM is publicly known to be interceptable, both at the time and after the fact. iMessages are not. Which would/should you bet on if security matters?
    08-05-13 05:02 PM
    When I dumped my 4s for a Z10, I didn't get any text message replies from anyone with an iPhone.

I transferred the sim and everything.

Little did I know, my new second alarm clock (aka my iPhone 4s) was preventing me from receiving texts, and it was in airplane mode! I had to physically turn imessage off, then viola!

Still don't know how it's possible, do any of you?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:12 PM
    Scatter shot reporting . . . . . covers all the bases. "Pick a story, any story"

BREAKING- Blackberry Up On Two Positive Seeking Alpha Articles (BBRY)

By Tim Parker on August 5, 2013

Update: Blackberry strength may also be attributable to alleged pictures of its Z15 and Z30 phone as well as reports that the Q10 is selling out.

Smartphone maker, Blackberry (NASDAQ: BBRY) is up nearly 2 percent in early trading Monday after two Seeking Alpha articles recommend buying the stock at current levels.

An article titled, “BlackBerry: Hold Your Nose and Buy?” said that the stock has a clean balance sheet and trades below book value. Author Ashraf Eassa said,

If there’s one thing that can be said about BlackBerry, it’s that its balance sheet is as clean as a whistle. With $5.48/share in cash, the business is valued at a mere $3.44/share. While the quoted book value of just north of $18 might be a bit of a stretch in trying to estimate what investors could actually get from a liquidation sale, I do believe that the business itself — despite the fact that it’s in deep trouble — is probably worth more than $3.44.

The second article, “BlackBerry: Now The Dust Is Settling, Time To Load Up On Shares“, touts unique features of the BB10 operating system and mentions the strength of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

BlackBerry Enterprise Server can be used by other devices, including iPhones and Androids. This is an example of how BBRY is working to make itself viable over the long term, by keeping their strong name intact for security and control policies, regardless of whether their own BB10 platform turns out to be a big success or not.
    08-05-13 05:15 PM
    Nice day today...TA does work, who'd of thunk.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:20 PM
    First person added to ignore list! The troll is trying so hard today it's almost embarrassing. Anyway I'm done with his rubbish.
    It gets easier after you add a few.
    08-05-13 05:20 PM
    Scatter shot reporting . . . . . covers all the bases. "Pick a story, any story"
    LOL, let's all cross our fingers and maybe tomorrow we see a new article: "Blackberry up Tuesday on a report of a report about two seeking alpha articles"
    08-05-13 05:26 PM
    Up to 9.64 a share in the after hours trading..Tuesday on the TO should be a rocket to $10.

In an article on Crackberry saying that BB should buy Sierra Wireless I took the plunge and bought 20 shares. I know its a gamble but maybe a weee bit down the road this may happen.
    08-05-13 05:46 PM
    5 pages about I message vs BBM ?
    Seriously ?
    Guys, as much as we can discuss about BBM x-platform, its opponents are x-platform too.
    My eyes are bleeding... this is OT, let's get back to the great $9.6-ish finish and the continuation bet AH !

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:47 PM
    But it was "friendly", and I learned so much ~

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:53 PM
    Up to 9.64 a share in the after hours trading..Tuesday on the TO should be a rocket to $10.

In an article on Crackberry saying that BB should buy Sierra Wireless I took the plunge and bought 20 shares. I know its a gamble but maybe a weee bit down the road this may happen.
    Hey, two new StockBerrians in a day keeps the ranters away ! Welcome !

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    08-05-13 05:53 PM
    Interesting action today staying around $9.60 +/- $0.10 the entire afternoon. What do you attribute the majority of the increase to:
    1) Short covering
    2) BBM, Samsung announcement
    3) New money / wash rule
    4) The Z30 (A10) / Z15 rumors
    5) The two Seeking Alpha articles....(We already know Tim Parker's answer)
    6) Something we don't know ........
    7) adding: Q10 sales rumor

I think it's mainly short covering with some excitement of Blackberry and Samsung in the same sentence. I pray it is something we don't know.....
    08-05-13 05:57 PM
    But it was "friendly", and I learned so much ~

Posted via CB10
    Didn't meant to say it was anything wrong or bad, just... OT (and potentially leading to troubles) .

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:58 PM
    Interesting action today staying around $9.60 +/- $0.10 the entire afternoon. What do you attribute the majority of the increase to:
    1) Short covering
    3) New money / wash rule
    Mix all of the above, IMHO

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    08-05-13 06:00 PM
  14. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Nice day today...TA does work, who'd of thunk.

Posted via CB10
    TA forecasts:

It's gonna pop (doesn't pop).
    It's gonna pop (falls off a cliff)
    It's gonna pop (falls).
    It's gonna pop (doesn't pop [i will ignore the gentle drift down])
    It's gonna pop (slight rise).
    Celebration now, come on!
    It's gonna pop (decent rise)
    It's gonna pop (7.4% rise after the largest phone mfgr on the planet puts out a press release about BBM)

"TA does work, who'd of thunk?"

Who indeed?
    08-05-13 06:05 PM
    I'm in the UK so using Halifax.
    I'm with Hargreaves Lansdowne in the UK. Charge is about �10 per trade, if thats any help
    BergerKing and bkupris like this.
    08-05-13 06:06 PM
    How very fitting. LoL kinda, sorta

Last edited by bungaboy; 08-05-13 at 06:39 PM.
    cjcampbell and BergerKing like this.
    08-05-13 06:07 PM
  17. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    1) Short covering
    3) New money / wash rule
    7) adding: Q10 sales rumor

I think it's mainly short covering with some excitement of Blackberry and Samsung in the same sentence. I pray it is something we don't know.....
    One and two.
    Actually two, then one.
    08-05-13 06:44 PM
    TA forecasts:

It's gonna pop (falls off a cliff)
    It's gonna pop (falls).
    It's gonna pop (doesn't pop [i will ignore the gentle drift down])
    It's gonna pop (slight rise).
    Celebration now, come on!
    It's gonna pop (decent rise)
    It's gonna pop (7.4% rise after the largest phone mfgr on the planet puts out a press release about BBM)

"TA does work, who'd of thunk?"

Who indeed?
    Hmmmm....was waiting for some iOS babble?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 07:08 PM
    Today is the first day of uptrend. 33 million in volume, and closed at $9.58. This is good for a modest break out. It went through the previous two support levels of ($9.10 and $9.20) without any problem. Assuming 30 million shorts covered, we have 130 million shorts to go.

Bullish interpretation:
    This is the beginning of an uptrend. Ascending triangle formation is completed with a confirmed break out. We need a few more days to see any pattern that can be drawn. One possibility as you can image with the hourly chart is a sine wave that slants upward. Right now, it is looking like a water fountain that reached its peak and on the way down to create the first retracement. Another possibility is the cup formation.

On the hourly, and 30 minute chart, MACD and stoch. RSI are going to ycle down. I hope, it bounced off $9.49 for retracement. Nevertheless, on the daily chart, the stock seems to have more room for upside, although the stoch. RSI is at max. RSI is at 45, which is way below overbought, buying pressure line (blue line) on DMI is starting to go up.

Next price levels to take out, before filling the gap back to $14.xx: $9.61, $9.77, $10.30, $10.44, and $10.94. We went through a ridiculous June sell-off that has hardened our mentality against a drop. Let us be patient for any retracement.

Hi Morgan; we hope, you are doing well. Do you have any thought about the stock action up to date?

Bearish interpretation:
    MACD and stoch. RSI are going to cycle down on hourly. Stoch. RSI on daily chart is at max. Just watch it break $9.49, $9.20, and then $9.10.

Hourly:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-05-7.43.28-pm.jpg

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-05-7.44.01-pm.jpg
    08-05-13 07:09 PM
    Always an excuse....go figure.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 07:10 PM
    Why is that?
    08-05-13 07:12 PM
    Sorry bungaboy, had some notes on his Vehicle Model which I don't seem to be able to locate rapidly. Anyway he is now pleased that one of the identified working models for his Vehicle was the BB Bold 9900, which he proceeded to acquire at an interesting price. But my question was more general as to the possibility of something like a central smartphone database for similar inquiries?

Enjoy the summer.

I assume it is a Durango? What year and what radio is in it? Does it have UConnect with MyGig?
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-05-13 07:13 PM
    Always an excuse....go figure.

Posted via CB10
    Edit....Not directed at TA by Lagoon.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 07:17 PM
    Edit....Not directed at TA by Lagoon.

Posted via CB10
    ...and as most of us know, News trumps TA, and is not an excuse.
    08-05-13 07:20 PM
  25. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Hmmmm....was waiting for some iOS babble?

Posted via CB10
    Hmmmm... was waiting for a response to the pattern I perceived where multiple failures of TA (specifically claims that the stock will rise when nothing of the sort happens again and again) are left to pass without comment, but when the "predictions" come true (accompanied with less... nebulous reasons to explain the rise), it is, "whadya know? TA Works."

I have a fairly extensive stats background, but it takes no such knowledge to see the cognitive dissonance demonstrated herein.
    08-05-13 07:25 PM
113,256 ... 16521653165416551656 ...