Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    iPhone keeps popping.

Posted via CB10
    Let's be cool. The insult I changed is sorely overused. Gives people a reason to flare up, and there's been enough of that. Thanks.
    08-05-13 03:16 PM
    Everone has their opinion but iOS does not lack "polish" when it comes to texting.

I will bet you that we will NOT be flocking to BBM. Just hearing a Blackberry user say that iOS lacks polish is funny

Why would a iPhone user migrate to BBM?
    I was an iPhone user and I migrated to BBM (so did 5 other people of my extended family). The reason is simple, iMessage sucked (my wife and I tried to like it, but it just sucked so bad that we couldn't use it in any meaningful way, we just emailed instead). Now we love BBM and use it everyday (throughout the day, we rarely email each other anymore), there is simply no comparison.
    08-05-13 03:17 PM
  3. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Saw this while looking for iMessage info to help take99 understand the capabilities of his iphone. I think it has implications for BBRY stock.

APPLE CAN'T DECRYPT IMESSAGE AND FACETIME DATA

"There are certain categories of information which we do not provide to law enforcement or any other group because we choose not to retain it.

For example, conversations which take place over iMessage and FaceTime are protected by end-to-end encryption so no one but the sender and receiver can see or read them. Apple cannot decrypt that data."

Apple - Apple

Here is the US DEA fretting about it:
    http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...igencenote.png
    "IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO INTERCEPT IMESSAGES BETWEEN TWO APPLE DEVICES."

Superior security is often cited as a reason to go BBM but it appears iMessage is at least equal and probably superior (no keys can be handed over) in this respect.

*Apple cannot decrypt iMessages even if ordered to*. This is good news for people looking for a secure communication channel but bad news for BBM adoption.

eg:
    No secrets on BlackBerry: Govt gets its way on tapping popular messenger service : India, News - India Today

As x-platform BBM was recently hailed on the front page as another Hail Mary pass, this security differential may also be bad news for BBRY stock.
    08-05-13 03:25 PM
    Anyone know why the stock is so up today?
    08-05-13 03:29 PM
    @shadowy... As a bbry bull, I invite a paradigm shift in cell phones from a spec race to security.....that's our dance floor baby!

So maybe you have a point on imessage not saving data as a form of security, but does that mean BBM is unsecure?

Also, Barack might be calling Timmy Cook for some imessage decryption love after he bailed them out on Friday. =)

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    08-05-13 03:35 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-hillaryclintondumb2.jpg
    I get it ok. it happens. even though we all try to do the right thing.
    LoL.
    very nice day here 23c, gonna prime with Michelob ULTRA. have a great day fellows.
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and Randeman like this.
    08-05-13 03:40 PM
    As I dig deeper into my online account I found this. What does the "settlement date" mean?

Transaction Date:
    05 August 2013
    Transaction Time: 17:46
    Sale/Purchase: Purchase
    Stock Name: BLACKBERRY LTD COM NPV
    Quantity: 77
    Unit Price (USD): 9.59990025
    FX Rate: 1.519
    Unit Price (GBP): 6.31988
    Consideration(GBP): 486.63
    Commission Charged(GBP): 11.95
    Stamp Duty(GBP): 0.00
    PTM Levy(GBP): 0.00
    Net Total Due(GBP): 498.58
    Settlement Date: 08 August 2013
    This trade was placed using the online international commission rate
    This trade has been dealt on a non-advisory basis through the NASDAQ Stock Exchange.

08-05-13 03:41 PM
  8. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I was an iPhone user and I migrated to BBM (so did 5 other people of my extended family). The reason is simple, iMessage sucked (my wife and I tried to like it, but it just sucked so bad that we couldn't use it in any meaningful way, we just emailed instead). Now we love BBM and use it everyday (throughout the day, we rarely email each other anymore), there is simply no comparison.
    Interesting. I use it multiple times a day and have been very pleased with it.
    -Free
    -Fast
    -Reliable. Do you have any idea of the resources available to make this a solid communication channel? Apple has 147 billion in cash right now.
    -Secure. According to the US DEA, "it is impossible" to intercept iMessages.
    -Can attach a myriad of data (photos, videos, location, audio, etc) at no cost. OK, data is not free.
    -Can sent to multiple recipients
    -Defaults to SMS if the recipient has no iMessage capability. I can just text away knowing that anyone will receive the message.
    -Defaults to SMS if iMessage is down. This is rare in my experience, but the "belt and suspenders" redundancy is great to have.

Why do you think "it sucked so bad".
    08-05-13 03:49 PM
    A little humor asking Len to possibly comment the attached article on TESLA for eventual investors.
    CleanTechnica | Clean Tech News & Views: Solar Energy News. Wind Energy News. EV News. & More.

And a question to all, is there a running list of smartphone models versus matching vehicles available. A friend who had a BB Storm2 with a contract ending, made a change to a BB Bold 9900 to match his recently acquired Dodge SUV. Are possibly newer smartphone models having a wider acceptance than slightly older models, inquiring mind wants to know.
    08-05-13 04:06 PM
    08-05-13 04:08 PM
    Care to elaborate on why iMessage sucks? It could be just bbm meets your needs better? I am just curious because I think a lot of analysts/haters will be comparing the two IM platforms.
    08-05-13 04:10 PM
    As I dig deeper into my online account I found this. What does the "settlement date" mean?

Transaction Date:
    05 August 2013
    Transaction Time: 17:46
    Sale/Purchase: Purchase
    Stock Name: BLACKBERRY LTD COM NPV
    Quantity: 77
    Unit Price (USD): 9.59990025
    FX Rate: 1.519
    Unit Price (GBP): 6.31988
    Consideration(GBP): 486.63
    Commission Charged(GBP): 11.95
    Stamp Duty(GBP): 0.00
    PTM Levy(GBP): 0.00
    Net Total Due(GBP): 498.58
    Settlement Date: 08 August 2013
    This trade was placed using the online international commission rate
    This trade has been dealt on a non-advisory basis through the NASDAQ Stock Exchange.

The date that your online brokerage is going to withdraw the cash for the transaction from your account. If you don't have the cash available on this date you will be in a margin position.
    bkupris likes this.
    08-05-13 04:13 PM
    A little humor asking Len to possibly comment the attached article on TESLA for eventual investors.
    CleanTechnica | Clean Tech News & Views: Solar Energy News. Wind Energy News. EV News. & More.

And a question to all, is there a running list of smartphone models versus matching vehicles available. A friend who had a BB Storm2 with a contract ending, made a change to a BB Bold 9900 to match his recently acquired Dodge SUV. Are possibly newer smartphone models having a wider acceptance than slightly older models, inquiring mind wants to know.
    I assume it is a Durango? What year and what radio is in it? Does it have UConnect with MyGig?
    08-05-13 04:19 PM
    ok guys forgive me for posting while drinking outside on a beautiful day.
    I was drinking/roaming and using imessages from Las Vegas to my Beloved Home Land Canada. I did purchase data roaming. but from time to time Imessage would switch from data to sms and tell me that my "message was sent using sms". meant .75cents cost each time it did. should I complaint to rogers? or there must be settings in Iphone to stop switching automatically?
    sorry guys. I had to ask. cheers
    getting Hungary now.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cuisine-clipart-hungry-happy-salt-shaker-mascot-cartoon-character-serving-thanksgivin.jpg
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-05-13 04:23 PM
  15. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    @shadowy... As a bbry bull, I invite a paradigm shift in cell phones from a spec race to security.....that's our dance floor baby!

So maybe you have a point on imessage not saving data as a form of security, but does that mean BBM is unsecure?

Also, Barack might be calling Timmy Cook for some imessage decryption love after he bailed them out on Friday. =)

Posted via CB10
    "security.....that's our dance floor baby!"
    Umm, OK lets dance?

iMessage:
    "On February 21, 2013 the DEA San Jose Resident Office (SJRO) learned that text messages sent by iMessages are not captured by pen register, tap and trace devices, or Title III interceptions. Messages between two apple devices are considered encrypted communications and cannot be intercepted, regardless of the cell phone service provider."

Not only can they not be intercepted at the time of communication, *there are no decryption keys available for an authority to demand after the fact*.

No way to intercept. No way to recover. Nice.

BBM:
    "BlackBerry smartphone owners - who were interception-secure all these days - will have to brace for an invasion of their privacy. Their messenger service can be lawfully tapped citing security concerns."

"The Canada-based RIM set up its server in Mumbai in February to enable security agencies to intercept data. The eight agencies that are authorised to tap phone calls, emails as well as voice and data communications domestically are the Intelligence Bureau (IB), Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), Enforcement Directorate (ED), Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) and the state police."

No secrets on BlackBerry: Govt gets its way on tapping popular messenger service : India, News - India Today
    08-05-13 04:24 PM
    I was drinking/roaming and using imessages from Las Vegas to my Beloved Home Land Canada. I did purchase data roaming. but from time to time Imessage would switch from data to sms and tell me that my "message was sent using sms". meant .75cents cost each time it did. should I complaint to rogers? or there must be settings in Iphone to stop switching automatically?
    Yup, and after I gave my daughter my iPhone, all SMS from my friends went to her phone instead of my new phone (even though I had moved the phone number to my new phone). Had to explain to a 5 year old what WTF meant...LOL
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-05-13 04:28 PM
  17. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Of course. Settings --> Messages

Switch "send as SMS" to OFF. Although it is curious you are having this difficulty. As you have data roaming there is no logical reason for your difficulty. iMessages is simply sent as data which you have paid for. If they are straight text the amount of data is tiny even by international roaming standards. Definitely complain to Rogers.
    08-05-13 04:31 PM
    iMessage can only ever reach at most 25 percent of people. It is self limiting because it is proprietary. It's for this reason I never even bothered to try it.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-05-13 04:33 PM
    Yep
    As they say it well in some part of Africa The Angriest sheep does not make noise! (talking about shares)
    Ok, I was wrong about WhatsApp's latest valuation. My data was old.

Don't know why you're attacking me...I didn't say BBM is going to be preloaded on Samsung phones, but the fact that it's going to be available on one of the largest app stores in the world is enough to send the stock up today, IMO.

And a lot of people own a lot more shares than you in this thread, myself included.
    bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    08-05-13 04:38 PM
  20. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Yup, and after I gave my daughter my iPhone, all SMS from my friends went to her phone instead of my new phone (even though I had moved the phone number to my new phone). Had to explain to a 5 year old what WTF meant...LOL
    The instructions for setting up iMessage after exchanging phones are readily available. I suggest you read up on this. Would you like the link or can you manage on your own?

Oh, what the heck, here you go (I typed "switch iPhone iMessages" into Google. Third link.)
    Changing iPhone number for iMessage | iLounge Article
    08-05-13 04:42 PM
    Lol, tell me about it. pictures and Imessage explaining when they show up on ipads with same account. talk about BB10 learning curve.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-i-can-explain-e1354913442625.jpg
    08-05-13 04:43 PM
    "security.....that's our dance floor baby!"
    Umm, OK lets dance?

iMessage:
    "On February 21, 2013 the DEA San Jose Resident Office (SJRO) learned that text messages sent by imessagesre not captured by pen register, tap and trace devices, or Title III interceptions. Messages between two apple devices are considered encrypted communications and cannot be intercepted, regardless of the cell phone service provider."

Not only can they not be intercepted at the time of communication, *there are no decryption keys available for an authority to demand after the fact*.

No way to intercept. No way to recover. Nice.

BBM:
    "BlackBerry smartphone owners - who were interception-secure all these days - will have to brace for an invasion of their privacy. Their messenger service can be lawfully tapped citing security concerns."

"The Canada-based RIM set up its server in Mumbai in February to enable security agencies to intercept data. The eight agencies that are authorised to tap phone calls, emails as well as voice and data communications domestically are the Intelligence Bureau (IB), Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), Enforcement Directorate (ED), Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) and the state police."

The information about iMessage is likely not correct since most experts believe that Apple has the ability to retrieve messages and provide them to governments if ordered to. Apple hasn't exactly come out and said that iMessages are completely immune to government requests as well. The reality is that communications are not going to be secure from government interference. There's really no way around it if a company wants to operate in a particular country.

Are Your Apple iMessages Really Safe From Prying Eyes?

In fact, as the former Apple employee himself admitted, the set of cryptographic keys only rules out the possibility of real-time interception. They don't prevent Apple from accessing the iMessages and turning them over at a later time to the NSA, DEA or other law enforcement agency.

iMessages are automatically stored in Apple's backup system iCloud. As Ars Technica reported last year, Apple holds the keys to any data stored there.

"The conversation history that you've had, the messages that you've received and have been decrypted by that device, are part of its normal data backup," the former Apple employee said. "If you were to do a restore onto a new phone from say your iCloud backup or a backup you own, you get those messages back that way. That's historical data — that's saved."

This doesn't necessarily mean Apple is spying on your iMessages. But technically, once your messages are backed up, Apple could retrieve them.

Last year, cryptography researcher and professor Matthew Green explained the issue in a blog post, with a simple thought experiment called "the mud puddle test." The test consists of three steps:

1. First, drop your device(s) in a mud puddle.
    2. Next, slip in said puddle and crack yourself on the head. When you regain consciousness you'll be perfectly fine, but won't for the life of you be able to recall your device passwords or keys.
    3. Now try to get your cloud data back.

If you successfully retrieve the iCloud data, then Apple can gain access to it — as can the government and any rogue employee who "knows their way around your provider's internal policy checks," Green wrote.

There is a technical possibility that iCloud data may still be encrypted and unreadable even to Apple, but Green's view is widely shared among security researchers. In a blog post commenting on the DEA's complaint, Julian Sanchez, a civil liberties and technology research fellow at the Cato Institute, wrote, "iMessages may not be interceptable from a suspect’s cell carrier, but Apple has to be capable of handing them over when the authorities come knocking with a warrant."

Apple did not answer multiple requests for comment for this story, and they have never revealed details behind their encryption scheme — for neither iMessage nor iCloud.

"If Apple can restore messages or data to your device, and if they are able to do this even after you've forgotten your password and they've reset it, it means they almost certainly have some technical way to view that data," Tom Ritter, a security researcher, wrote in an email to Mashable. "It's just extremely unlikely that Apple is able to provide a restore functionality and doesn't have those messages in a readable format somewhere."
    zyben and BlackistheBerry like this.
    08-05-13 04:48 PM
    and no matter what. I am going back to BB10. and going to use my $1000 iphone 5 white as an ipod for my Audyssey South of the Market Audio dock in My master bathroom.
    there you have it.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-i-can-explain-you-but-i-can-t-understand-you.jpg
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-05-13 04:50 PM
  24. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    iMessage can only ever reach at most 25 percent of people. It is self limiting because it is proprietary. It's for this reason I never even bothered to try it.
    iMessage defaults to SMS when communicating with non Apple users. That takes care of the next 70% (there must be a few users that don't even have SMS) although SMS charges could be a factor then.

FWIW, I hope x-platform BBM rawks. Free, reliable cross platform messaging would be A Good Thing (tm). With Android up to 80% worldwide, iOS is under pressure as well. I just will not assume it is a fait accompli, especially considering recent BBRY history.
    08-05-13 04:51 PM
    First person added to ignore list! The troll is trying so hard today it's almost embarrassing. Anyway I'm done with his rubbish.
    bungaboy and fedakd like this.
    08-05-13 04:59 PM
113,256 ... 16511652165316541655 ...