View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    And BTW before I get accused of being a liar, I'm STOKED the stock is up 10% today.

I probably own more shares than most people on this board. I lost a ton of money when the stock crashed about 2 months ago so obviously anything that brings me back to my average share price of 12.65 will make me incredibly happy.

I just don't like to just pretend certain things will make the stock go up and I certainly don't like when things are said and don't have any facts to back them up.

Proof I own shares:
    Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 9.48.28 AM.png
    Ok, I was wrong about WhatsApp's latest valuation. My data was old.

Don't know why you're attacking me...I didn't say BBM is going to be preloaded on Samsung phones, but the fact that it's going to be available on one of the largest app stores in the world is enough to send the stock up today, IMO.

And a lot of people own a lot more shares than you in this thread, myself included.
    08-05-13 01:37 PM

Don't know why you're attacking me...I didn't say BBM is going to be preloaded on Samsung phones, but the fact that it's going to be available on one of the largest app stores in the world is enough to send the stock up today, IMO.

And a lot of people own a lot more shares than you in this thread, myself included.
    We're all on the same team. We are having a great day. Enjoy.
    08-05-13 01:46 PM

Not attacking you. Just pointing out how flawed your argument was that you were so sure about. It made no sense and still doesn't. You'd think for someone who has more than 70 thousand dollars in a stock you'd understand "news" like Samsung offering BBM in their app store.....in one continent that isn't a big smartphone using continent wouldn't shoot the stock up 10%.

So again you could end up being right. I just severely doubt it and look forward to finding out what caused the stock to climb up today on this volume.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-05-13 02:02 PM
    I make a thousand dollars for every 75 cent increase in SP. Today is a great day (although my average is still red).

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-05-13 02:03 PM
    The opposite occurs when it goes down lol.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-05-13 02:04 PM
    I'm waiting for my flight at a gate in Bogot, Colombia. I'm literally surrounded by BB7 devices, all age groups.. :-) Too late? Maybe, although I think it may all be happening 'just in time'

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 02:07 PM
    Looks like they found another dog to kick around.

HTC Is Dying And Running Out Of Options

Business Insider

August-05-13 4:00 PM GMT

HTC, the one-time king of the Android phone makers, is on a downward course with few options left to correct itself.

Last November, Business Insider's Nicholas Carlson wrote that HTC was the biggest tech business disaster in 2012. Things have only gotten worse for the company since then.

This past quarter, net income was down 83% from the year before. That's a huge disappointment considering the fact that it was the first full quarter during which the company was selling its best phone ever, the HTC One.

It's not as if the company's fall is due to a failure to produce top-notch devices.

HTC made the first Nexus phone for Google back in 2010, which was considered by many at the time to be better than the iPhone but failed because Google didn't want to sell it through the carriers. A few months later, HTC released the Evo 4G, the phone that started the trend of large-screen Android phones and introduced us to high-speed wireless data.

HTC even beat everyone to releasing a 4G LTE device, which has data speeds that can be as fast as your cable modem, with the Thunderbolt. That phone even outsold the iPhone on Verizon for a brief period of time.

So what the heck happened?

Well, HTC messed up its launch of the best Android device of 2012 by only releasing it on AT&T. While the One X was a fantastic phone, its variants on T-Mobile and Sprint left much to be desired and it didn't even come out on Verizon.

Meanwhile, Samsung had its Galaxy S III on seemingly every carrier out there and spent four to six times as much as HTC on marketing. A better device won't sell if no one knows about it.

HTC's drop in sales in 2012 was so huge that it drove down the company's margins. It simply couldn't order as many devices from its factories, so costs went up.

As reported by Eva Dou at the Wall Street Journal, one way for HTC to get out of this mess would be to merge with another device manufacturer. Analysts suggest Chinese companies like Huawei or Lenovo as the best options, but those mergers will almost certainly never happen due to the political problems between China and HTC's home country of Taiwan.

But besides that, why would anyone want to merge with HTC? Eva suggests that a company might invest in HTC for its brand, but that doesn't make much sense when the brand in question is utterly failing.

Every single indicator for HTC's performance is trending downward. Via Benedict Evans, here's its revenue over time:

— Benedict Evans (@BenedictEvans) August 5, 2013

From Sameer Singh at Tech-Thoughts, HTC's shipments and market share:

This is all reflected in the performance of HTC's stock:

There isn't an obvious route for HTC to take going forward. For now, it seems to be staying the course by offering a line of flagship devices based on the One.

However, it looks like HTC is taking its time on executing that strategy: we still have no idea of when the HTC One Mini will come to the U.S. and The Verge's Aaron Souppouris doesn't expect the big-screen "phablet" version to be officially announced until September. That just happens to be the same month that Samsung will announce the next generation of its Note line of big-screen devices.
    08-05-13 02:14 PM
    Here's one opinion on BBM on Android and IOS.

Why BlackBerry can't afford to delay BBM for iOS and Android any longer

BGR
    August-05-13 4:14 PM GMT

The private beta of BlackBerry Messenger for iOS and Android is starting to trickle out to testers. BBM cannot debut soon enough as several leading cross-platform messaging apps have gone on a massive growth rampage in recent months. WeChat rocketed from the No. 76 free iPhone app in South Africa at the end of June to the No. 1 app in a week. It has since remained the most downloaded app in South Africa, which just happens to be BlackBerry’s linchpin market in the continent. In another old BlackBerry boom market, Brazil, WeChat exploded from the No. 1000 most downloaded app to the No. 1 spot in two weeks.

LINE has jumped back to top 5 iPhone app download chart in the Philippines after its July slump. Both WeChat and LINE have vaulted up more than 100 positions from last spring in India’s iPhone app market, moving into the top 20.

As BlackBerry gets ready to finally release its messaging product for iOS and Android platforms, messaging apps like WeChat, LINE, KakaoTalk and WhatsApp have expanded their power bases decisively over the past six months in Latin America, Africa and Asia. Consumer reaction to BBM will be one of this autumn’s most interesting dramas in the mobile world, and one that BlackBerry desperately needs to be a hit.
    08-05-13 02:20 PM
    OT Alert..... Hi Morgan, I see you're reading so I just wanted to ask your opinion on IMG. I thought last week that the 50-dma would act as support and be the downside on this next cycle as it was stiff resistance on the way down over the last few months. Looking at IAG today, that theory, so far, seems to have held true. What are your thoughts on it and is this a reasonable assumption on my part or do you feel it could drop back below? Feel free to PM me should everyone feel this may be a little off topic for this particular forum.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    08-05-13 02:22 PM
  10. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Delivered does not equal 'read'. I also have no problems with my wifes ipad or ipod, just my neighbors for some reason, so def not without problems and definitely lacking features and polish imho.
    Yes, but 'read' does equal 'read'.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-27.jpg
    "Read 11:26"

Read receipts enabled is the default behaviour for iMessage. They can be disabled if you wish.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-image.jpg
    08-05-13 02:24 PM
    Not attacking you. Just pointing out how flawed your argument was that you were so sure about. It made no sense and still doesn't. You'd think for someone who has more than 70 thousand dollars in a stock you'd understand "news" like Samsung offering BBM in their app store.....in one continent that isn't a big smartphone using continent wouldn't shoot the stock up 10%.

So again you could end up being right. I just severely doubt it and look forward to finding out what caused the stock to climb up today on this volume.
    I think you're severely underestimating emerging markets where BlackBerry has the greatest potential. They are not seen as an "old and busted" company in those countries. The smartphone growth rates are also a LOT higher than here in North America.

Here's a little blurb from April 2013:
    Smartphone growth in Africa has increased by 43% every year since 2000, and experts predict that 69% of mobiles in Africa will have Internet access by 2014. As a result, smartphone manufacturers are showing increased interest in the region in a bid to gain their share of half a billion potential customers. Currently a simple budget smartphone produced for the African market is available on the streets of Kenya for as little as €37 (US$50) and has sold more than 300,000 units across the country.
    Smartphone penetration in Africa is estimated between 17-19%, though rates vary wildly from country to country. Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, has a smartphone penetration as high as 41%. Emmanuel Revmatas of Samsung Electronics West Africa explains the sudden influx of smartphone use in the country, saying: “The advent of new privately owned submarine cables and their landing on the coast of many East and West African nations, including Nigeria, have significantly reduced the cost of Internet access and increased the adoption of smartphones on the Continent.”
    Cheap Android phones will probably far outsell BlackBerry's in Africa, however, if they're all using BBM as one of their main instant messaging tools, maybe that will attract their attention to BlackBerry's hardware when it comes to upgrading etc.
    cjcampbell, rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-05-13 02:26 PM
  12. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Come to think of it with my neighbor 'delivered' must only mean delivered to the processing center, not the end user.
    No, delivered means the message has reached your neighbor's iphone. Otherwise it wouldn't be delivered, would it?

"Messages sent to another iMessage recipient will display a 'Delivered' status once the other device receives the message"

From Apple: "It�s reassuring to know your text was read � or even received. iMessage tells you if your text was delivered. If the recipient has read receipts enabled, you�ll see that your message was read, too."
    Apple (Canada) - iOS 6 - iMessage for unlimited texting.
    Fourth image with description.
    08-05-13 02:28 PM
    Looks like they found another dog to kick around.
    Meanwhile, Samsung had its Galaxy S III on seemingly every carrier out there and spent four to six times as much as HTC on marketing. A better device won't sell if no one knows about it.

There's the meat of the nut, and dead on why so many are getting kicked in the teeth on sales.
    cjcampbell, Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    08-05-13 02:30 PM
    LoL,
    today's spike will cause some people to work overtime.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-laughing-buddha-diy-feng-shui-10.jpg
    08-05-13 02:38 PM
    Delivered does not equal 'read'. I also have no problems with my wifes ipad or ipod, just my neighbors for some reason, so def not without problems and definitely lacking features and polish imho.
    Everone has their opinion but iOS does not lack "polish" when it comes to texting.

I will bet you that we will NOT be flocking to BBM. Just hearing a Blackberry user say that iOS lacks polish is funny

Why would a iPhone user migrate to BBM?
    08-05-13 02:40 PM
  16. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I think you're severely underestimating emerging markets where BlackBerry has the greatest potential. They are not seen as an "old and busted" company in those countries. The smartphone growth rates are also a LOT higher than here in North America.

Here's a little blurb from April 2013:

Cheap Android phones will probably far outsell BlackBerry's in Africa, however, if they're all using BBM as one of their main instant messaging tools, maybe that will attract their attention to BlackBerry's hardware when it comes to upgrading etc.
    Agree the pop today was precipitated by the Samsung press release about future BBM on their phones. Seems silly, but it made CNN so got a lot of traction as a positive sign. It *is* positive, but it has also been obvious since the x-platform announcement that if BBM really is released x-platform, it would be available on Samsung phones.

Whether BBRY can monetize BBM if it is released x-platform and how much it will encourage Curve users etc to jump to another platform with the resultant decrease in BBRY handset sales are both open questions.

I think x-platform BBM is a tacit admission that the hardware side of their business will not make it and they have to do whatever is necessary to try to survive in software and services. Good call, in my opinion.
    08-05-13 02:40 PM
    Because the iPhone user can't use iMessage to communicate with their friends who have Droids and BlackBerries. SMS is an option, but eventually people will ask, why am I paying for unlimited text messages when I can use BBM for free? Plus, if BBM has additional capabilities, like a desktop presence, it would make it way more useful than SMS. Right now my friends and I use Google Talk, a truly buggy and unreliable app [Edit: we use it because it is cross-platform and can be used on a phone or a computer. Very flexible. Just poorly implemented].
    cjcampbell, rarsen, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    08-05-13 02:53 PM
    Everone has their opinion but iOS does not lack "polish" when it comes to texting.

I will bet you that we will NOT be flocking to BBM. Just hearing a Blackberry user say that iOS lacks polish is funny

A lot of them were former BlackBerry users, I've heard more than a few long to have BBM back. And I've answered a few recently that were irritated when moving from iMessage and not being able to chat with their regulars efficiently. The win or lose will make itself known, soon enough. Personally, I welcome BBM with open arms. I know at least two dozen others, and that's just in my circle of contacts.
    cjcampbell, fedakd, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    08-05-13 02:54 PM
    I can't help but worry about Mikou and his short position. I would assume he's still holding it.
    Same here. Unfortunately the past two green days weren't enough to hit his stop, so unless he was watching he's underwater.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 02:55 PM
    A lot of them were former BlackBerry users, I've heard more than a few long to have BBM back. And I've answered a few recently that were irritated when moving from iMessage and not being able to chat with their regulars efficiently. The win or lose will make itself known, soon enough. Personally, I welcome BBM with open arms. I know at least two dozen others, and that's just in my circle of contacts.
    I know apple users that will download BBM. At least 5 I've asked so far.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 02:56 PM

If it is the best,everyone will move to it.

Posted via CB10
    fedakd and bungaboy like this.
    08-05-13 03:00 PM
    iPhone keeps popping.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BergerKing; 08-05-13 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Inflammatory edit
    08-05-13 03:02 PM

There's the meat of the nut, and dead on why so many are getting kicked in the teeth on sales.
    That is why the technical merits of handset x or OS Y are of no real interest to me because I think it is largely irrelevant in regards to market growth.
    08-05-13 03:02 PM
    I don't know anyone that will DL bbm. I think one will just to try it out. Unless it is perfect though, he won't keep it.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 03:03 PM
  25. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Because the iPhone user can't use iMessage to communicate with their friends who have Droids and BlackBerries. SMS is an option, but eventually people will ask, why am I paying for unlimited text messages when I can use BBM for free? Plus, if BBM has additional capabilities, like a desktop presence, it would make it way more useful than SMS. Right now my friends and I use Google Talk, a truly buggy and unreliable app [Edit: we use it because it is cross-platform and can be used on a phone or a computer. Very flexible. Just poorly implemented].
    You have a point about x-platform. I know I will download it and give it a try. Heck, the price is right. The problem, of course, is that we are talking about vapourware at this point. RIM/BBRY has a history of shipping late and buggy (recently BB10.0, but lots more I won't list). Users of iOS/Android are in no way going to be inclined to say, "It'll get better. This is the first version. Give them time." If it isn't functional and reliable out of the gate, at least at the level of whatever they are using now, the backlash will finish BBRY quickly in this space. You mention Google Talk being "truly buggy and unreliable�. Can you imagine the resources Google has expended on this?
    08-05-13 03:14 PM
113,256 ... 16501651165216531654 ...