View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I am going into the first happy weekend in a long time(QE) and I hope others are as well...
    That is good to hear!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-03-13 01:47 AM
    Kudos to BlackBerry for pushing hard on new features. The latest 10.2 leak looks great, lots of new stuff.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 06:33 AM
    I will dump $5k into bbry based on m8s comment. Let's see where it goes.

Posted via CB10
    Should be based on what "you" think/believe.
    plasmid_boy and morganplus8 like this.
    08-03-13 07:01 AM
    Where do you see negative posting about Samsung? I see LCJR talking about the Note 3, and the 2, and curious about similar functionality on the Z, which he doesn't have and likes to hear about as well. Nuttin' wrong with that.
    BK, I think he was referring to the article on the paid Chinese posters that I shared in here previously (Thursday or Friday).

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...ml#post8935839

EDIT: I should have read ahead. LoL
    Last edited by bungaboy; 08-03-13 at 08:01 AM.
    08-03-13 07:49 AM
    Meant to pass this on yesterday. Nice to see the thread come alive again.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-thank.jpg  
    08-03-13 09:07 AM
    BlackBerry: Now The Dust Is Settling, Time To Load Up On Shares

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1602...ce=google_news
    08-03-13 09:38 AM
    Meant to pass this on yesterday. Nice to see the thread come alive again.
    08-03-13 09:46 AM
    More positive articles starting to appear.

BlackBerry's operations present strong margin of safety - analyst
    IVC POST | IVCPOST Staff Reporter Updated: Aug 03, 2013 10:19 AM EDT

According to analysts, the threats to BlackBerry's future were clear. For a prospective venture capitalist, investing in the company would be a risky bet since a complete turnaround would not be guaranteed. However, for value-seekers, the company's current below market valuations would make investing in this company a sound business decision.

BlackBerry failed to meet analysts' expectations. The Canadian company sold only 2.7 million BlackBerry 10 devices. Four million customers switched to another brand and its shares' value went down by more than 20%. Furthermore, 250 more workers were laid off at BlackBerry's Waterloo headquarters after the company fired 5,000 employees in 2012.

"We are five months into a platform transformation that we anticipate will drive future smartphone device sales, greater enterprise efficiency, and a new mobile computing opportunity for years to come. We've never been a devices-only company. We also run a global secure data network and services business. And we don't plan to run the company with a short-term device-only strategy," CEO Thorsten Heins said.

Heins' views was supported by Frontaura Capital's analyst, Timothy Raschuk. Raschuk valued BlackBerry's enterprise service and security at around US$2 billion. The said figure together with cash and other assets that Research in Motion holds would amount to US$2.35 billion. BlackBerry's current market cap is US$4.45 billion. The company's operations and intangibles would present a strong margin of safety that would make up for temporary struggles regarding customer count and device sales.
    08-03-13 10:08 AM
    So what happened with the Prim situation on Aug 1st / 2nd? I didn't hear anything about him and BBRY.
    08-03-13 01:06 PM
    Obama Administration Vetoes Ban on Sale of Some Apple iPhones, iPads

Barack Obama: Anti Patent Troll-In-Chief | Zero Hedge
    Politics aside (I think any administration would probably do the same) . . . . . . . Holy fork!
    Bugmapper likes this.
    08-03-13 06:37 PM
    Politics aside (I think any administration would probably do the same) . . . . . . . Holy fork!
    Very disturbing...

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    08-03-13 07:42 PM
    Yeah, all these people who post on this site and don't even have a BB10 phone... sheesh.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    Once you own a BB10, you will lose the correct evaluation of the stock since you fall in love with the device.

Posted via CB10
    Bugmapper and zyben like this.
    08-03-13 09:40 PM
    Once you own a BB10, you will lose the correct evaluation of the stock since you fall in love with the device.

Posted via CB10
    I am in love with my wife.
    Does that make her "not fat" ? ? ?

plasmid_boy and Bugmapper like this.
    08-03-13 10:48 PM
    I spy with my little eye . . . .

Android 4.3's New 'Always-On' Wi-Fi Feature Buried in Settings

PCMag.com

August-03-13 7:11 PM GMT

It might be a bit much to say that one of the new features packed into Android's 4.3 upgrade is controversial, but it's definitely one worth knowing a little bit more about. As those who have taken a spin around the Android 4.3 ROM have noticed, Google has made a change to devices' Wi-Fi settings in Android 4.3.

"To improve location accuracy and for other purposes, Google and other apps may scan for nearby networks, even when Wi-Fi is off," describes Google.

Android Police's Ron Amadeo notes that the move is actually probably designed to save one's battery life instead of wasting it, given that the only other way for one's smartphone to discern one's location is to kick on the battery-draining GPS. However, he also calls out Google's interesting use of language in its disclaimer – specifically, the "other purposes" bit.

"Those 'other purposes' probably (that means this is the speculation part) involves shipping that Wi-Fi location data back to Google, which is how the Wi-Fi location service currently functions. The only way to use Wi-Fi hotspots for location data is to build a map of SSID (hotspot name) locations. You do that by running around with a GPS and Wi-Fi chip and virtually stick Wi-Fi pins on a map," Amadeo writes.

To check and see whether your phone has this feature enabled by default (a number do not), you'll have to navigate through to the very bowels of your Android operating system's settings — Google doesn't exactly make this feature all that easy to flick on and off. Here's how:

Fire up the Settings app and tap your finger on the Wireless and Networks option. Tap on the Wi-Fi option, and then tap on the Menu button on your phone's lower-right-hand corner (the triple-dots icon). When the submenu pops up, tap your finger on the Advanced option. From there, you'll want to make sure to check the "Scanning always available" option if you want to participate in the new Android 4.3 feature. Otherwise, if it's checked, you need merely to uncheck it to ensure that "Wi-Fi off" really means "Wi-Fi off."

It's important to reiterate that numerous reports have come in from Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Galaxy Nexus owners – to name a few – who all indicate that this feature remains off by default when they've updated their devices to Android 4.3. Which is to say, it's more important that you know about this potentially useful setting than to freak out about it, but it's also worth checking this, and many of Android's other "Advanced" wireless configuration options, when you've upgraded your mobile OS!
    rarsen, zyben and sidhuk like this.
    08-04-13 07:13 AM
    Like in the old days of "Payola".

Samsung Accused of Paying Developers for Promotion

By Jane McEntegart
    August 3, 2013 1:00 PM - Source: The Verge

Oops!

Back in April, Samsung found itself facing an investigation over questionable marketing techniques. Samsung's marketing department allegedly hired students to post negative comments about the HTC One on a number of tech and gadget websites that linked to favorable benchmark results for the HTC One. At the time, Samsung said that "future marketing work would be more in line with its company philosophy of transparency and honesty." Unfortunately, it seems one company working for Samsung never got the memo about transparency.

Samsung has said its ad agency is to blame for recent reports that it had been offering money to developers to promote the South Korean company. The Verge yesterday reported that developers on the Stack Overflow community had been offered money to promote Samsung's Smart App Challenge. According to the report, viral marketing company Fllu was contacting Stack Overflow community members and offering cash in exchange for mentions of the Samsung Smart App Challenge.

Though Fllu originally denied that Samsung was a client, the Verge was able to verify through email headers that the emails sent to Stack Overflow users came from the same source as its own communications with Fllu. Samsung has said Fllu's actions are "clearly against Samsung Electronics corporate policy," while Fllu now admits that it was working for Samsung. Samsung has reiterated its commitment to "engaging in transparent and honest communications with consumers."
    BergerKing, jxnb, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    08-04-13 07:17 AM
    not sure if it makes any sense?
    BBRY Accumulator Study Aug 2 2013
    Last edited by sidhuk; 08-04-13 at 01:09 PM.
    W Hoa and plasmid_boy like this.
    08-04-13 11:33 AM

Interesting charts. My take-away from the article is positive but cautious. It comes across as a realistic short term prognosis.

So, in this case, we can conclude that 1) demand is rising again over supply, 2) there is Dark Pool buying into weakness that is more than short covering. It is my opinion, based upon the Accumulators, that portfolio buying has been ongoing since mid-July.

I however do not see the level of positive divergence that is typically the sign of a major low. But there is enough positive information here to support holding a position in BBRY at the current time with the expectation of adding to that position if we see a test of the lows with rising Accumulators.

Upside targets would be $10.35 to $10.85, just under the gap down on earnings. A move back up into the gap would have to be supported by improving fundamentals at BBRY.
    08-04-13 01:37 PM
    I am not familiar with dark pool, but it seems to reflect the regular chart indicators. I am not sure, whether its take about going over the $10.xx requires a change in the fundamental of Blackberry.

What do you think, Morgan?
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-04-13 02:25 PM
    Interesting to read seeking alpha article comments. Some shorts there are still convinced the stock is going lower. Some think to zero.

Just astonishing to me that people think that way. If I was long and it shot to $50, I'd sell everything. If I was short, at what point would I close?

I really think a blow out quarter is needed where earnings are positive before some of these people will cover.

Having said that, I do think bigger players are covering. And short interest will continue to drop.
    08-04-13 02:50 PM
  20. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Did someone say imessage? It really is quite a basic system, can't tell if your message has been received or read, have to launch a separate app for facetime etc, not cross platform, I could go on. Also, my neighbor and I both have iphones and when we have tried texting it takes an hour and a half on average for imessage to send it through.
    From what I've seen of bbm, it looks a lot more polished and friendly, hopefully that translates over to the ios version. I will definitely be downloading it when it drops this summer, I'll let you know how it is.

About telling whether your message has been received or read:
    "iMessage provides the ability to perform full two-way delivery and read tracking for any messages sent through the iMessage network. Messages sent to another iMessage recipient will display a 'Delivered' status once the other device receives the message, and a 'Read' status with a timestamp once the user actually reads the message."

If you don't want people knowing whether you have read their message yet, you can disable read receipts. I have my phone set up this way.
    "Delivered status notifications cannot be disabled in iMessage, however you can choose to disable the sending of read receipts under Messages in your iOS Settings."
    Settings --> Messages --> send read receipts = OFF

Very handy to have that choice. Can BBM allow you to disable read receipts? I don't think it can, but it has been a while since I have tried it and of course x-platform is still vapourware so I am unable to confirm.

About having to launch a separate app for FaceTime:
    Let's ask Siri. "Open FaceTime". "It doesn't look like you have an app named FaceTime".

FaceTime functionality on the iPhone is invoked from other apps. You can do this from iMessage as follows.
    1. Touch status bar (top of the display where the time is displayed) once, which in all apps including iMessage scrolls you to the top. What's that we see? Buttons labeled "call" and "FaceTime".
    2. Touch FaceTime and you are immediately videoconferenced to the person you have been messaging.
    I use it frequently in this fashion. I cannot imagine a more friction-free method to invoke it. Two taps on the screen you already have open.

The other way I use it is from the Contacts app. You can choose to call, email, send a message or *FaceTime* a contact. Neat, huh?

iOS 7 will have voice-only FaceTime (AKA free phone calls) as a choice as well unless the carriers can stop them (FaceTime over 3G/LTE was delayed over a year by the carriers). Even now in iOS 6 you can simply hit the home button which will minimize the FaceTime app to a status bar, stop sending video and continue as audio only. You can then access the other phone functions (calendar or Internet access for example) while continuing the call.

About cross platform. You are not totally wrong here:
    iMessages themselves can only be sent and received from iOS devices and OSX computers, but you can still use the iMessage *app* to exchange SMS messages with anyone that has that capability which is... darn near anyone with a cell phone, smart or not. Usage is exactly the same, but if you contact someone without iMessage, your message will automatically be sent as an SMS. The text bubble will be green instead of blue.

I have two contacts that still use BBOS. Green bubbles for them.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-27.jpg

About your comment that, "my neighbor and I both have iphones and when we have tried texting it takes an hour and a half on average for imessage to send it through.":
    I find your experience curious. Of course iMessages can fail. Servers go down etc. In my experience this is rare (Apple has 147 billion in cash. They can well afford and have built some NSA size data centres with plenty of redundancy in the last couple of years) but I have had it happen twice that I recall in the almost 2 years I have been using it. "Some users" were affected for over 5 hours in April as one recent example. If it does go down though, the iMessage is then automatically sent as an SMS message. I don't remember exactly the delay but it is on the order of a few seconds, not minutes. Do you not have any SMS allotment? The other possibility is that you have this option (send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable) turned off, although the default is on. I still find your difficulty curious as even if you do not have 'send as SMS' on, your iMessage difficulties sending iphone to iphone should be extremely infrequent. Check your settings anyway.
    Settings --> Messages --> Send as SMS = ON

Here is a screenshot of the settings. It also shows the read receipt settings.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-image.jpg
    08-04-13 05:49 PM
  21. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    More positive articles starting to appear.
    Link to the actual article:

https://sumzero.com/headlines/techno...actually-a-buy

1. Disclosure: The author of this report did hold an active position in this security at the time of its posting.

It is difficult for me to believe this report is unbiased after such a disclosure.

2. Business valuation overview:
    The brand: 2.3 billion

Blackberry brand is now worth 2.3 billion dollars?

Lots more... discussion points available. Like BBRY MDM valued at 500 million.
    -The MDM space is estimated to be a $784-million market with about 128 or more firms vying for customers.
    -The mobile device management market is rapidly being commoditized and could very likely be consumed by emerging technologies that focus on mobile application security.
    (Mobile Device Management Market Won't Last: Gartner)
    08-04-13 05:59 PM
    Interesting to read seeking alpha article comments. Some shorts there are still convinced the stock is going lower. Some think to zero.

Just astonishing to me that people think that way. If I was long and it shot to $50, I'd sell everything. If I was short, at what point would I close?

I really think a blow out quarter is needed where earnings are positive before some of these people will cover.

Having said that, I do think bigger players are covering. And short interest will continue to drop.
    WIth such pitiful volume, I can hardly believe the short interest is going to drop by much if any at all. We'll find out soon enough on Friday, August 9th where the SI stands as of July 31st.
    08-04-13 07:04 PM
    I expect short interest to drop another 20 million shares.

Aug 9.... GREAT!

And on Aug 11... the conclusion to Breaking Bad starts (second half of season 5)
    Randeman, jxnb and leafs123 like this.
    08-04-13 07:47 PM
    First things first. Thank you BK for standing up for me a few days ago when I was just comparing Samsung and BlackBerry future devices. I really don't know why KFH227 would think I was in any way anti-blackberry. KFH227, are we good???
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-04-13 09:47 PM
    Now, OMG, what a weekend!!!! Besides eating out and swimming all the time, I learned alot about this new DoD server and Cloud we are about to see. At least those within the DoD will see it. OMG, how do I start??? Lol
    08-04-13 09:50 PM
113,256 ... 16441645164616471648 ...