Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Curious on you guys' thoughts on this:

Best Buy US:

Verizon: Z10 is 18th and 27th (white and black)
    AT & T: Z10 is 11th
    T-Mobile: Z10 is 11th

The Q10 shows up nowhere with the carriers. It only shows up on the unlocked. The Z10 and Q10, unlocked, are 6th and 20th, respectively, out of 192 phones.

Are none of the US carriers offering Q10 on contract?

Why does the Z10 rank so much higher as an unlocked device vs on contract?
    dusdal, I should have taken pictures but here in El Paso Texas all the Verizon Wireless shops have "Blackberry Sale" up on their large outdoor billboards. Not sure how to take that either.

Edit: But the shops have the Z10 and Q10 for sale.
    08-01-13 03:50 PM
    Shadow forgot to add st the end there that the day will turn red with the fire of a thousand suns and life as we know it will cease to exist!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 03:50 PM
    Cgk, I am not an enterprise customer and I care about security.

Such sweeping generalisations...

Interesting to see how this pans out. I'm starting to see a pattern with the posting here...

Posted via CB10
    I got in at 650 it's in my interests for the stock to go as high as possible. As for the generalisation - as frank used to say 'use your mentality, come back to reality' - sales tell us the value of security in the current market place.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    08-01-13 03:51 PM
    Just thinking a bit more about those Verizon sales:

Attachment 188222

BBRY at 0.1%. One sale per thousand. I can't see how any management team could justify continuing to expend shelf space on these products. Do you? Honestly, it makes no financial sense, and in business, that is ultimately the only sense that counts.

Here's what I think will happen. As soon as contractually possible, Verizon will cease selling BBRY products. Until that time these products will be dead phones walking. No marketing beyond what is mandated by contract. No staff training or incentives. No software updates.
    I think you're right. At one sale per thousand, it makes absolutely no business sense for Verizon. And AT&T is virtually in the same boat.
    08-01-13 04:00 PM
  5. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Shadow forgot to add st the end there that the day will turn red with the fire of a thousand suns and life as we know it will cease to exist!

Posted via CB10
    There is life beyond Blackberry my son. From the ashes of your shattered existence you can rebuild.
    08-01-13 04:04 PM
    No need to hack BB OS10 it hack itself... Thor call it a Feature that APPL don't have... ---->

BlackBerry BB10 update reportedly deleting text messages at random
    BlackBerry BB10 update reportedly deleting text messages at random - Edge Runner | Edge Runner

Regards
    So what. Here is a feature that android has:
    Android 4.3 update causing problems with Nexus 4 handsets, rendering some unusable
    new_me222 likes this.
    08-01-13 04:06 PM
    Just thinking a bit more about those Verizon sales:

Attachment 188222

BBRY at 0.1%. One sale per thousand. I can't see how any management team could justify continuing to expend shelf space on these products. Do you? Honestly, it makes no financial sense, and in business, that is ultimately the only sense that counts.

Here's what I think will happen. As soon as contractually possible, Verizon will cease selling BBRY products. Until that time these products will be dead phones walking. No marketing beyond what is mandated by contract. No staff training or incentives. No software updates.

As Verizon is the largest smartphone carrier in the US by current sales (36.9%) discontinuation would, in my opinion, kick the stool out from under BBRY stock. Remember Mr Heins said the following on March 22:
    CEO Thorsten Heins said the company has to regain market share in the U.S. for BlackBerry to be successful. 'You got to win here to win everywhere else,' he said. 'That's just the way it is. We've lost market share quite a bit, to put it mildly, and we absolutely need BlackBerry 10 to turn us around.'
    If Verizon discontinues BB phones which is only 0.1% of sales how would this "kick the stool out from under BBRY stock". Wouldnt change anything from the bottom line. Common now......
    08-01-13 04:11 PM
  8. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    It's Official BB have Acknowledged Yesterday.

Regards
    Is it this one?
    KB34478-Received SMS text messages do not appear within BlackBerry Hub on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    Received SMS text messages do not appear within BlackBerry Hub on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Overview
    Received SMS text messages do not appear within the BlackBerry Hub on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone. Sent items appear and in some cases may force the appearance of received SMS messages.

Resolution
    This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Workaround
    Restart the BlackBerry 10 smartphone:

Hold down the power button until the option to Restart appears.
    Tap Restart.

Don't be so harsh if this is the issue. We all remember the 3 finger salute to reboot from the Windows 95 days don't we? This is much easier.
    08-01-13 04:13 PM
    The trolls were screaming bloody murder when z10 was priced 150$ on contract at rogers. The moto X is going to have very similar specs and is going on sale for 200$ at rogers. Now what?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 04:13 PM
    If Verizon discontinues BB phones which is only 0.1% of sales how would this "kick the stool out from under BBRY stock". Wouldnt change anything from the bottom line. Common now......
    It depends if analysts are anticipating bbry to grow 1% per year then by year three bbry should have 4% market share. If Verizon says no to bbry then in year three it will hypothetically be zero'ish and the stock will tumble.
    08-01-13 04:15 PM
    *************** do not feed ******************
    08-01-13 04:16 PM
    Fairfax earning are out:

Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited (TSX:FFH)(TSX:FFH.U) announces a net loss of $157.8 million in the second quarter of 2013 ($8.55 net loss per diluted share after payment of preferred share dividends) compared to net earnings of $93.7 million in the second quarter of 2012 ($3.79 net earnings per diluted share after payment of preferred share dividends), primarily reflecting unrealized losses on its bond portfolio, partially offset by strong underwriting results. Book value per basic share decreased to $361.87 at June 30, 2013 from $378.10 at December 31, 2012 (a decrease of 1.6% adjusted for the $10 per common share dividend paid in the first quarter of 2013).

"We had strong and much improved underwriting performance in the second quarter and first half of 2013. Our net loss in the second quarter was only due to net mark-to-market bond losses of $500 million as a result of higher interest rates, including $400 million on our state and muni bond portfolio, a majority of which is insured by Berkshire Hathaway. Our muni bond portfolio was mainly acquired in the last quarter of 2008 at an after-tax yield of 5.79%," said Prem Watsa, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fairfax, who further commented, "we are maintaining our defensive equity hedges due to our concern about the financial markets and the economic outlook. We continue to be soundly financed, with quarter-end cash and marketable securities at the holding company in excess of $1.2 billion."

Also an old investor presentation... April
    Attached Files
    rarsen, dusdal, lcjr and 1 others like this.
    The trolls were screaming bloody murder when z10 was priced 150$ on contract at rogers. The moto X is going to have very similar specs and is going on sale for 200$ at rogers. Now what?

Posted via CB10
    Same price in the US as well based on what I read online. It is what it is I guess.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    If the comment section is any indication, the phone is DOA. The *only* saving grace might be massive ad spend Google plans to commit to the phone...
    08-01-13 04:22 PM
    True, 0.1% of phones doesn't translate to a lot of dollars. However if Verizon were to stop carrying BlackBerry's altogether, this would be a bad thing perception wise, and perception can affect the stock far more than those 0.1% phones ever could. "Kicking the stool out," whatever that means in terms of stock price, is probably an exaggeration though.
    kfh227 likes this.
    08-01-13 04:26 PM
    People might not be happy with the pricing of the Moto X but at the end of the day, it's a lot more appealing because:

1. It's Android
    2. It's STOCK Android
    3. It has Apps
    4. It isn't BlackBerry
    5. Highly customizable

Add that all up with the whole "The US is against BlackBerry" and well..
    08-01-13 04:26 PM
    More from Fairfax's Q2 earnings:

"Fairfax holds significant investments in equity and equity-related securities. In response to the significant appreciation in equity market valuations and uncertainty in the economy, the company has hedged its equity investment exposure. At June 30, 2013, equity hedges temporarily represented approximately 109.2% of the company's equity and equity-related holdings (in excess of the company's target ratio of 100%) because of quarter-end equity fluctuations. The market value and the liquidity of these hedges are volatile and may vary dramatically either up or down in short periods, and their ultimate value will therefore only be known over the long term."
    08-01-13 04:33 PM
    Understands!! Maybe you have been hacked! I am not an enterprise customer either but I got hacked 5 times in 2 years when I had an I-phone, 4 out of the 5, I was able with the credit card company to reverse the charges but couldn't do it with the five, and these are big $ amounts to make some peoples head spin, so security is really realy IMPORTANT to me!!!

Cgk, I am not an enterprise customer and I care about security.

Such sweeping generalisations...

Interesting to see how this pans out. I'm starting to see a pattern with the posting here...

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, bungaboy, spike12 and 1 others like this.
    08-01-13 04:38 PM
  19. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Why, it will be incontrovertible proof of the failure of BB10 in the US market. You know, the market that the BBRY CEO said was essential to BBRY?
    "You got to win here to win everywhere else yada yada"

According to Mr. Heins:
    Failure in US -->losing everywhere else.

I didn't directly comment on AT&T since BBRY is 1.4% of their sales (1400% better than Verizon relatively speaking), but I could see how a more bearish poster than me might consider AT&T a less than guaranteed source of BBRY products in the near future as well.

No way AT&T would think that they could limp by with the other 98.6% of their sales, could they?
    08-01-13 04:38 PM
    People might not be happy with the pricing of the Moto X but at the end of the day, it's a lot more appealing because:

1. It's Android
    2. It's STOCK Android
    3. It has Apps
    4. It isn't BlackBerry
    5. Highly customizable

Correction, it is not stock Android. A stock Android version is coming to the Google Play store just like the HTC One and GS4.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 04:39 PM
    Most of the losses were interest rate related... bonds in highlights.

The equity portfolio was up a bit, still somewhat overhedge though.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-fairfax-q2-s.jpg  
    dusdal likes this.
    08-01-13 04:45 PM
    Serious question, have you ever been to an adult party where you felt that people wanted you to bugger off, but not really saying it directly?
    I have a feeling that this might be happening to you here.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 04:52 PM

1. It's Android
    2. It's STOCK Android
    3. It has Apps
    4. It isn't BlackBerry
    5. Highly customizable

The most interesting thing about this phone is that it is US only and it's only real aim is to build share in the US - it doesn't appeal to me but if the marketing budget of $500 million is true I would expect to see it dent sales of anything else at same price.

The eh... X about this phone is that the younger generation might be willing to pay for the colour choices but I have no real clue about that sort of thing...
    Last edited by cgk; 08-01-13 at 05:16 PM.
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    08-01-13 04:57 PM
    Came across this on another thread and love what I read. It may not be a money maker, but it is a great thing for a global company to be doing, and on an ongoing basis. Good for BlackBerry and the kids who qualified for the program.

BlackBerry and Free The Children Inspire Canadian Youth to Build-A-Village - Press Releases
    08-01-13 05:00 PM
    Moto X article.

Don't read it. But look at hte hardware specs ..... then go to the comments.
    AnandTech | A Quick Look at the Moto X - Motorola's New Flagship
    08-01-13 05:02 PM
113,256 ... 16321633163416351636 ...