Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think he cover today Nasdaq low was 8.62
    07-30-13 10:56 AM
    this has been happening for the last couple of months lol noticed it a long time ago and was day trading off this for a while
    Good for you, hope you had a decent gain. (though I don't have the ballz to day trade this thing) it would be interesting to see this pattern charted during that timeframe.
    07-30-13 11:13 AM
    I'm just happy seeing green for once. Keep it quiet. If we see too much green the analysts will be back putting up more crap about BB's last days.
    Android is going after Apple in a big way and the battle is heating up as margins are getting pinched. I just wish Apple and Android would focus on taking each other out of the market so BB can quietly carve out 10% of the global market for itself.
    Apple's problems are starting to build. We have heard about the unfortunate lady in China that died while answering her iphone. Now Apple is being investigated for unfit worker conditions in one of their major manufacturing plants. It is interesting that the media isn't slaming Apple with these stories.
    It looks like BB is putting a lot of money into app development for the BB10 platform. Love it.
    Thor ... could you please hire the guy on youtube 'Why I still hate my Z10' and get him to do a commercial.
    The next 6 months are going to be interesting. This stock is not for the faint of heart. The last ER beat up my account so bad I think I am going to have to sedate myself before the next one.
    I think the security of BB combined with their BES is going to start catching on in the corporate world. It would be nice to hear about a few big corps getting on board. The expansion of BBM to all phones is getting a lot of curious buzz in the tech circles around here. Seems everyone around the world loves BBM.
    No matter where you live, go into your local phone store and talk to one of the more experienced personnel. Ask them how the BB phones are selling on a percentage basis compared to Apple and Android. Then ask them why they think the BB phones are not more popular than that given such hiigh quality. Maybe we can share some of that info here to help us get a handle on what is going on.
    A really nice lady I was talking to at Rogers told me that the BB phones are awesome but the product launch was very rushed with very little training provided. Thumbs down to the marketing department! She went on to tell me that normally when a new product is being launched the manufacturer will host an evening training session with the new product on hand for all to see, feel and try. The only training they got for the new BB10's was a video webex.
    The distribution system is what it is, at least for now. The marketing department needs to do such a good job with the A10 that ALL in-store reps around the world will want to have one for themselves. If none of the in-store reps want one, then they aren't going to sell it either.
    Thor...could you get the marketing department to do a quick case study on the launch of Grey Goose Vodka. Now that's how you launch a new product.
    Keep clicking the netflicks ads until we see a BB10 app.
    07-30-13 11:19 AM
    Normally around mid day it starts to trade lower. See July 9, and July 15, as example. Essentially the intra day gains cannot hold. We need to see a strong finish today to get a reversal. I believe we will get it today.
    $8.90 or above today is a plus.

Posted via CB10
    JLagoon, bungaboy and m0de25 like this.
    07-30-13 11:19 AM
    Maybe I'm the odd one standing, more reasons for blackberry to transition them self and stick with their plans. As far as I'm concerned, blackberry has something all the other smartphone makers don't and that is multiplatform OS.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-30-13 11:20 AM
    Can't break $8.90
    That's because TA is nothing more than reading tea leaves. Just so happens 8.92 is the 7-ema which has acted as a very strong ceiling since the 15th. But that's just looking at what I want to see so it probably has zero bearing on what's actually happening.
    dusdal, zyben, bungaboy and 8 others like this.
    07-30-13 11:20 AM
    That's because TA is nothing more than reading tea leaves. Just so happens 8.92 is the 7-ema which has acted as a very strong ceiling since the 15th. But that's just looking at what I want to see so it probably has zero bearing on what's actually happening.
    .... welcome back.
    And thanks for the cowbell!
    07-30-13 11:27 AM
    Gains were good for awhile but then volatility took over, lost a 10K trade one day and decided to take gains and stop day trading. Your are very right though it takes guts to day trade this and discipline but it was just exhausting doing this on a regular basis. Don't need the added stress lol

Good for you, hope you had a decent gain. (though I don't have the ballz to day trade this thing) it would be interesting to see this pattern charted during that timeframe.
    07-30-13 11:39 AM
    .... welcome back.
    And thanks for the cowbell!
    I've been around. Just couldn't bring myself to post amongst all the noise.
    07-30-13 11:41 AM
    Apple up 1.9%,
    BBRY up 1.8%
    GOOG up 1.25%
    NOK up .75%

Never a bad day when all the market players are in the green.
    spike12 and dusdal like this.
    07-30-13 11:47 AM
  11. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Still decent gain if we can hold it...positive a couple percent is encouraging.

Posted via CB10
    Could this be a "buy on the rumour" kind of bump related to the Aug 1 Fairfax report?

Of course we all know the second part of that phrase is, "sell on the news".
    07-30-13 11:49 AM
    Could this be a "buy on the rumour" kind of bump related to the Aug 1 Fairfax report?

Of course we all know the second part of that phrase is, "sell on the news".
    What is expected to be in that report?
    07-30-13 11:59 AM
    Suppose it could be. I can't imagine what materials news could come out of the Fairfax call though.

I would expect "In the short term our holdings in BlackBerry are below our purchase price, however, from the outset we knew that this was a medium to long term recovery and we stated this in all of the previous earnings releases. The turnaround is on track and we expect that BlackBerry has an intrinsic value much higher than the market currently reflects."

Or something similar.
    07-30-13 12:00 PM
  14. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    this has been happening for the last couple of months lol noticed it a long time ago and was day trading off this for a while
    There is a different investor mix after hours (less individual investors) and the volumes are far lower. Makes sense that it could move a little different (eg price changes generally happen more suddenly). I sincerely doubt there is any simple predictive pattern (red pre/green day) as you suggest here.

There are real indications that after hours volatility is positively correlated with next day volatility though. I don't think that helps us much, except maybe to predict how many antacid tabs you will need for the day ;-)
    07-30-13 12:01 PM
    Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm kinda disappointed not to pick up some FB at $18. Really liked the price then but didn't believe in the company. What a run.
    cjcampbell and Randeman like this.
    07-30-13 12:03 PM
    Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm kinda disappointed not to pick up some FB at $18. Really liked the price then but didn't believe in the company. What a run.
    We all have many woulda, coulda, shouldas. :-) Don't feel bad. It's only money.
    07-30-13 12:07 PM
  17. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    What is expected to be in that report?
    I really don't know, but I imagine some here are hoping Mr. Watsa will have something to say by proxy that will "unlock shareholder value".

I could speculate, but will instead just wait 2 days.
    07-30-13 12:08 PM
    Instagram is very determined to keep Windows Phone users away. I can see why 3rd party developers may not want to spend much time coding outside of iOS & Android:

Instagram: Windows Phone pictures deleted from third-party app | BGR

Excerpt:

"It seems that Facebook really doesn’t want Windows Phone users uploading photos onto Instagram. The Verge reports that Facebook seems to be deleting all Instagram photos uploaded through Instance, a third-party app that lets Windows Phone users put their pictures on the popular photo-sharing network. Although Instance users can upload their pictures to Instagram, The Verge says that “after just seconds, the photos disappear from an Instagram account and the URLs to access them no longer work.” Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom recently said that Instagram wouldn’t be coming to Windows Phone or BlackBerry “anytime soon” and the company appears very determined to keep unauthorized platforms from enjoying its services."
    07-30-13 12:08 PM
    Instagram is very determined to keep Windows Phone users away. I can see why 3rd party developers may not want to spend much time coding outside of iOS & Android:

Instagram: Windows Phone pictures deleted from third-party app | BGR

Excerpt:

"It seems that Facebook really doesn’t want Windows Phone users uploading photos onto Instagram. The Verge reports that Facebook seems to be deleting all Instagram photos uploaded through Instance, a third-party app that lets Windows Phone users put their pictures on the popular photo-sharing network. Although Instance users can upload their pictures to Instagram, The Verge says that “after just seconds, the photos disappear from an Instagram account and the URLs to access them no longer work.” Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom recently said that Instagram wouldn’t be coming to Windows Phone or BlackBerry “anytime soon” and the company appears very determined to keep unauthorized platforms from enjoying its services."
    Except it works mighty fine on my Z10.
    07-30-13 12:19 PM
    'Peach' from BlackBerry, Mozilla fights bugs | Security & Privacy - CNET News

Nobody likes bugs in their peaches, but in computer security terms, the goal of the new "Peach" tool from BlackBerry and Mozilla is to fight back against the critters.

For its part, BlackBerry relies on a mix of its own proprietary fuzzing tools and third-party ones to test how secure its products are. "[Peach] spans across multiple technologies," said Adrian Stone, who leads Research in Motion's security response team. "We employ fuzzing technology on a pretty wide scale at BlackBerry... not just for our mobile phones, but also the blackberry enterprise server."

The collaboration could indicate part of a change in computer security culture, as large companies invest more effort in sharing security research. But it also speaks to addressing the legitimate concerns of security experts that the Web-as-platform presents potential serious security risks.
    07-30-13 12:38 PM
    ICar Dream Downsizes to Dashboards - Businessweek

While Steve Jobs regretted not making an iCar, Apple Inc. (AAPL:US) for years was ambivalent about the auto industry. Now it’s vying for dashboard space held by Microsoft (MSFT:US) Corp., BlackBerry Ltd. and Pandora Media Inc. (P:US)

Those models use Cupertino, California-based Apple’s iOS 6 operating system in the dashboard head unit -- the core of the car’s stereo -- eliminating the need for separate navigation devices.

It isn’t completely satisfying, said Ron Montoya, the consumer-advice editor for Edmunds.com, an automotive data service in Santa Monica, California, who’s tested the Siri-enabled system in the Chevrolet Spark.

“It works well enough for some things, but I personally think Siri doesn’t work that well,” Montoya said in a phone interview. “It frequently doesn’t recognize my voice.”

“Look at the car industry: It’s a tragedy in America. Who is designing the cars?” Drexler said in May 2012 at a Fast Company conference in New York. “Steve’s dream before he died was to design an iCar.”

Apple’s rivals have worked hard to establish a foothold inside the car that they will be reluctant to give up. BlackBerry’s QNX, with 50 percent of the 2012 market for proprietary OS in autos, and Microsoft, with 25 percent for Chairman Bill Gates, are the biggest, said Anna Buettner, IHS iSuppli’s automotive infotainment and telematics analyst.

While Toyota, for example, will offer Siri Eyes Free in vehicles this year, the world’s largest carmaker isn’t ready to cede console space to Apple or other companies, said Sandy Lobenstein, U.S. vice president for connected technology.

“Our environment to deliver apps is a controlled environment,” Lobenstein said in an interview. “We place a big priority on quality. We place a big priority on safety. We really want to curate that environment, and we don’t want to open it up to just anybody.”

Even Apple.
    07-30-13 12:50 PM
    We all have many woulda, coulda, shouldas. :-) Don't feel bad. It's only money.
    Something to be said for "buy and hold."
    Yes, I admit it, I bought Facebook on IPO day (caught up in all the hype). Then, later the same day, I bought another 1000 shares as the price dropped during all the confusion of the delayed trading launch.
    I was left holding a worthless investment, according to many in the discussion groups, that dropped more than 50%. Lots of encouragement to dump it.
    Luckily, I ignored all the bad advice. However, I did not average down any further than IPO day (usually I do). It's been 14 months now and after finally doing what I thought it would do all along for mobile, Facebook is in danger of getting back to even. In another year, maybe it will double. Who knows?

I'm keeping all of my BlackBerry too. May even average down some more, depending upon how Facebook keeps doing.
    07-30-13 12:59 PM
    07-30-13 12:59 PM
    Jul 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    BlackBerry Interview: BlackBerry exec says company is not in trouble | BGR

The first step on the road to recovery is admitting that one has a problem...

If I was Long I was worrying seeing a company executive that deny reality Ouch !!!

Regards
    07-30-13 01:01 PM
    Jul 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    BlackBerry Interview: BlackBerry exec says company is not in trouble | BGR

The first step on the road to recovery is admitting that one has a problem...

If I was Long I was worrying seeing a company executive that deny reality Ouch !!!

Regards
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cool-story-bro-facebook-cover-funny_4917309083747628.jpg
    07-30-13 01:05 PM
113,256 ... 16221623162416251626 ...