View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    We need news from BlackBerry.
    Seems that the stock bleeding now drives even the more supportive's reflection.

Mind the washing machine.
    Nothing really significant - at best a break even - will occur before next E.R.

Stock variation - when based on nothing but expectations and/or speculations - is not economic reality.

This is not conspiracy, but sure can be a trap. We should avoid building too many scenarios, set unreasonable expectations or believe all must be thrown to the toilet because it's not fast enough.

Edit: Alex, please... give the street a bone to chew.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 05:40 PM
    Here it is in portrait.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000257.jpg

Posted via CB10
    danprown and JLagoon like this.
    07-29-13 05:40 PM
    Looks like the bottom of that channel is below zero.

Maybe they'll start paying us to take BBRY shares?
    07-29-13 05:46 PM
    Q5 coming to Koodo for $350...thoughts?

Posted via CB10

That's pretty cheap, but I haven't held it in my hand yet so I wouldn't know. Are people loving it, or hating it?
    07-29-13 05:48 PM
    That's pretty cheap, but I haven't held it in my hand yet so I wouldn't know. Are people loving it, or hating it?
    This is a pretty and nice device.
    At this price, it's very attractive.
    Nite guys !

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 05:51 PM
    I've been trying to get my daughter to by a Q10. No luck. Maybe she'll try a Q5. I may have to sweeten the deal for her.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and FastLane228 like this.
    07-29-13 05:56 PM
    I've been trying to get my daughter to by a Q10. No luck. Maybe she'll try a Q5. I may have to sweeten the deal for her.

Posted via CB10
    What was the reason she said no to the Q10? Maybe she is looking for a full touch device just like her friends and all of the under 20 crowd?
    07-29-13 06:00 PM
    Here it is in portrait.

Posted via CB10
    It is tough to see it, especially with $5 price increment. The weekly chart can turn bullish, because MACD is curving upward.

Hi Morgan; would you be able to post Abigail's chart with the up to date closing price, please? Has it hit bottom?
    07-29-13 06:02 PM
    Price. And she's using an older BlackBerry on BIS. Loves not having to pay for data. Although, she's heading off to Guelph soon for her Masters, so being able to use BBM video is what I'm pushing for. Might have to loan her my PlayBook instead.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and FastLane228 like this.
    07-29-13 06:04 PM
    Super fly, just listened to your tune on my z10. You've still got your mojo! Now, if you could just apply it to our stock...

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 06:07 PM
    Follow Throught:

I Stay Short Overnight from $8.68

Regards 8-)
    07-29-13 06:21 PM
    And it continues . . . . .

JPMorgan manipulated market, U.S. says as settlement nears

WASHINGTON — Reuters
    Published Monday, Jul. 29 2013, 8:03 PM EDT
    Last updated Monday, Jul. 29 2013, 8:09 PM EDT

The U.S. power regulator outlined its case of market manipulation against JPMorgan Chase & Co. on Monday as industry sources said a final settlement on the issue should come on Tuesday.

Traders used improper bidding tactics in California and the Midwest to boost profits, officials said in a statement that brought to light some details of an extensive investigation.

Reports of that probe have circulated for months and a deal with the regulator could put an end to a distraction for JPMorgan chief executive Jamie Dimon.

The U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) staff has found “eight manipulative bidding strategies” used by a JPM affiliate in 2010 and 2011, the regulator said.

JPMorgan declined to comment.

Two industry sources said a settlement over the trades could come as early as mid-morning on Tuesday. The bank is expected to pay around $400-million to end the investigation and the settlement could include other payments, according to reports and an industry source.

Monday’s regulatory move did not contain any mention of specific traders or commodities chief Blythe Masters, who had been mentioned in media reports as having been singled out by investigators.

The FERC action is a reminder of the tougher regulatory environment commodity traders are facing, particularly banks, which have been under intensifying public and political pressure over their ownership of things such as metals warehouses and power plants.

JPMorgan announced abruptly on Friday that it was quitting the physical commodity markets, seeking a buyer or partner to take over an operation that includes ownership of three power plants, as well as a handful of large tolling agreements.

The alleged violations in Monday’s letter offered little new insight into the bank’s trading, as most of the details had already been laid out in previous FERC filings.

If there is a settlement, JPMorgan would close the book on a probe that dates back more than two years when California’s power grid operator noticed the bank was using an “abusive” trading strategy that effectively forced the grid to pay for plants to sit idle, ultimately adding to costs.

The FERC has been particularly active this month. The regulator approved a $470-million penalty against British bank Barclays Plc and four of its traders for manipulating California power markets. Barclays said it would fight the fine in court.

For JPMorgan, a deal would also allow CEO Jamie Dimon to make good on his promise to resolve multiple government investigations and regulatory run-ins over the past year. The bank, which is the biggest in the United States by assets, is under pressure in Washington for its size and for its $6.2-billion “London Whale” loss on derivatives trades last year.
    07-29-13 07:59 PM
    I have planed to buy another block of shares at $8.50. It surely looks like it's going to get there tomorrow. Well, I'll have to take it as a gift I can't refuse. It is always a hard decision to buy a stock when nobody seems to want it. It is equally difficult to sell a stock when everyone fights for it.
    07-29-13 08:08 PM
    I have planed to buy another block of shares at $8.50. It surely looks like it's going to get there tomorrow. Well, I'll have to take it as a gift I can't refuse. It is always a hard decision to buy a stock when nobody seems to want it. It is equally difficult to sell a stock when everyone fights for it.
    So very true. I feel I am on the BlackBerry ship that is just sailing in the middle of the ocean, hoping that it can pick up its sail or be rescued.

I still support BlackBerry but so many negative news. The good thing is that expectation is low, and Q2 ER beats estimate it should boost the SP.

I still love my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rim4ever and Randeman like this.
    07-29-13 08:23 PM
    Being down XX XXX dollars sucks.

/rant
    Last edited by Kid Vibe; 07-29-13 at 09:07 PM.
    07-29-13 08:56 PM

/rant
    Yup, stressful ain't it.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-29-13 09:00 PM

/rant
    I feel your pain ! I am XXX XXX dollars down myself... I made peace with the idea after some huge fights and I have accepted and digested the fact that the best case scenario is to get my money back in 12 months or so...

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:05 PM
    Yup, stressful ain't it.

I hear ya man, its a toughy indeed. The only reason why I haven't sold off is because of the BBM cross platform along with BES10. Must wait until those emerge for a quarter or two before I can make a decision on BB...
    I feel your pain ! I am XXX XXX dollars down myself... I made peace with the idea after some huge fights and I have accepted and digested the fact that the best case scenario is to get my money back in 12 months or so...

Posted via CB10
    I hear ya man, but I do feel BB will step it up and the SP will bounce (not sure by how much) within a year.
    07-29-13 09:13 PM

/rant
    I definitely know kid, we're in the same ship. I had hope that BlackBerry defend itself, but by not doing so the stock keeps drifting downwards. With 180 million plus shorts... where will the bottom be? We got to have hope, rebuilding a brand after being knocked down will take time.

That said, I wish i knew a guy like Carl Icahn.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-29-13 09:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ouch.

07-29-13 09:17 PM
    Lumia 1020 apparently off to a very slow start. Carbon copy of BBRY story. From the article+comments:

- was supposed to be the breakthrough phone
    - nice hardware but too expensive at $300 with contract.
    - high return rates of WP vs iphone/android
    - salespeople go for easy kill, iphone is just too easy a sell
    - MS /WP is often scorned /but* of jokes
    - higher learning curve for UI, not instinctive enough
    - salespeople seem disinterested
    - customers are hesitant to invest away from current platform (heavily invested in apps)
    - not enough apps
    - lack of big name apps
    - slow rollout of O/S updates
    - etc, etc.

At this point, why wouldn't either an MS/Nokia/BBRY partnership, or MS buyout of BBRY be in the making? This way, BBRY would solve the hardware dilemma (class leading phone hardware from Nokia and solid tablet offerings) and can join software power on the security front, MDM, front/back server ends, automobile software, app consolidation + development, subscriber consolidation, BBM X + Skype domination, seamless Office integration, and a whole slew of other things.

I know the above is obvious, just thinking out loud. I just don't see any other partnership combo gaining that much traction The fight for 3rd spot would actually turn into a fight for top spot, imo.

http://bgr.com/2013/07/29/nokia-lumia-1020-sales/
    Last edited by m0de25; 07-29-13 at 10:25 PM.
    07-29-13 09:21 PM
    I hear ya man, its a toughy indeed. The only reason why I haven't sold off is because of the BBM cross platform along with BES10. Must wait until those emerge for a quarter or two before I can make a decision on BB...

I hear ya man, but I do feel BB will step it up and the SP will bounce (not sure by how much) within a year.
    Any glimmer of hope and I'll stick with them beyond 2013, but if we are still in this state next spring I'll probably unwind my position. I'm long but if they can't get any traction in 4-5 quarters of bb10, I don't see how 3-4 more quarters of waiting and hoping will help.

07-29-13 09:26 PM

/rant
    You're not alone in that. Apparently misery does love company. If this stock somehow bounces back to 12-13 I plan to at least halve my position and take a loss (depending on what news got it there as well of course).
    07-29-13 09:59 PM
    Carl Ichan sits on the board of many firms, it doesn't stop him from hedging downside risk or outright betting against it. The same is true here... Prema merely has a board seat, not control... we can't assume anything.
    Actually we can not only assume, but guarantee that this is not the case.

I had to clarify this in respect with Prem Watsa as I have now read this several times that he is short BBRY or he has hedged his BBRY position through puts or the like.

First off, Fairfax does not specifically hedge individual positions, rather they enter total return swaps on various indices that the underlying positions have some correlation to. To hedge its portfolio against the possibility of a bear market, Fairfax takes out short positions against the S&P500 and Russell 2000 (small cap index), selling the broad market indexes so the company will benefit if they decline.
    Although the hedge is of the same size as Fairfax’s stock portfolio, it does not specifically cover the value stocks that Mr. Watsa owns (or as the pros say, is “long” in). As a result, it is not an exact hedge. There is a slight mismatch.

See quote below from Prem:

Prem Watsa

Yes, I’m sorry. So, in response to the in equity markets in 2009, and early 2010, the economic uncertainty in the U.S. our equity hedge ratio to approximately 93% of our equity exposure. The effect of this increase by entering into Russell 2000 and total return swap contracts, average index level of 646.5. This was in addition to the S&P 500. Russell’s total return swap contracts we had done in September 2009 at an S&P 500. Now, I’ll give you some information on the line financials, Thank you.

Additionally, see below from a call recently

Q How are your investments structured now for the future?

A We are not in commodities and missed out on that run-up totally. Value guys miss those cycles. What we do is buy stocks but hedge them against the S&P.

Essentially what he does is similar to what anyone can do which is use inverse ETF's to hedge their equity portfolio and go long undervalued companies. For example using SH (short S&P) and RWM (short Russell 2000) and maybe VIXM (intermediate volatility index) as hedges, (as an FYI due to contango the short term volatility index is not recommended, nor is holding VIXM for more than a month). You can also buy puts against these indices as well.
    In essence he is going long those stocks he believes are undervalued like BBRY and shorting the market for which his positions may be part of like the nasdaq composite. Although BBRY was kicked out of the Nasdaq 100 (as was NFLX) late last year!
    Another way to think about this is he thinks the market at times is overvalued (although not always, because he has removed his equity hedges before and gone long, as he did late in 2008). see below from the conf call with Prem

“Given the unprecedented decline of the equity markets during the past several months, we felt it was prudent to promptly inform our shareholders that we closed out our equity index total return swaps this week and effectively eliminated our equity portfolio hedge. While we believe the recession may be long and deep, we also believe that stock prices may have already discounted the worst of the economic decline. As value investors, we are finding an incredible number of investment opportunities across the world. That said, in the short term we recognize that stock markets can continue to fall significantly.”

Le me conclude with saying the strategy does not always work as his returns the past 3 years have not beaten the markets. As a result of recent hedges, Fairfax is sitting on $1.8 billion of unrealized losses (as of Dec. 31, 2012) in its equity hedge and CPI derivative portfolios.
    However in the long term they have beaten by a wide margin.
    bungaboy, danprown and zyben like this.
    07-29-13 11:04 PM
    Hi Guys, I see a request from JLagoon for the Abigail update so here goes:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-11-year-chart-july-28a-2013.jpg

We haven't touched the uptrend line which appears to cross at $ 7.60/shr US. That's a buck lower from here and it just has to make contact intraday to cause a reversal. I still think we are going to avoid dropping that low, unless we see a general market correction which means all boats will sink. I know this is painful to watch but the trend is still down, there hasn't even been an attempt at a reversal and yet we are grossly oversold in here. When the reversal comes it will be a big move. Hang in there, keep producing excellent charts and my prediction still stands that we reverse this week!
    07-29-13 11:11 PM
113,250 ... 16191620162116221623 ...