View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    CB monitors should be mindful that a lot of BlackBerry fans are choosing to avoid cb as it is obvious to every cb fan that the haters have taken over the CB site posting nothing but negativity, lies, misinformation and pure hate for BlackBerry. These types of posts would NEVER be Allowed on WP central or imore.

Posted via CB10
    Here here...well said

Censorship has its pitfalls, but it's clear CB is over run. I find myself more and more turned off by the amount of negative threads.

All it takes is deleting half of the BS threads and this place becomes a happy place. You start getting legit posters back and contributing.

But when half the threads are bashing BB10 and extolling the virtues of other platforms that crap needs to go.

Purge purge purge....and watch the Schills give up.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    07-28-13 04:19 PM
    Yeah, I call BS on your last 7 words Have a great weekend yourself and good luck on all of the projects you're working on.

Bugmapper, hope the water damage is minimal.

See ya tomorrow!
    Yup, fancy new rec room all done. Thanks. Nothing like a productive weekend to lift my spirits. See yall next week.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    BlackistheBerry, m0de25 and lcjr like this.
    07-28-13 04:28 PM
    Hi guys !
    Out of my annual e-lethargy period, just the time of a (very long) read.
    SF
    Hey, Superfly - Welcome back! How did your recording sessions/gig go? The thread missed you.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-28-13 05:24 PM
    it is my experience that if a stock goes into a tail spin, the discussion board goes into a tailspin as well, not that this observation helps us much, but perhaps a good opportunity to focus on something else for a little while, not to get sucked into all the negativity...................
    plane6065 and bungaboy like this.
    07-28-13 06:44 PM
    it is my experience that if a stock goes into a tail spin, the discussion board goes into a tailspin as well, not that this observation helps us much, but perhaps a good opportunity to focus on something else for a little while, not to get sucked into all the negativity...................
    When the stock is up the haters are back under the bridge hiding and things are civil.
    07-28-13 07:03 PM
    I thought that this thread was about making money with a stock called BBRY? Does it matter how you make the money on the stock? So, if you buy long, you're a lover…and if you sell short, you're a hater?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-28-13 07:10 PM
    I thought that this thread was about making money with a stock called BBRY? Does it matter how you make the money on the stock? So, if you buy long, you're a lover�and if you sell short, you're a hater?
    Would you please read the title of this thread.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 07:14 PM
    Would you please read the title of this thread.

Posted via CB10
    O.K., so this thread is for BUYERS who take a long position, only. Fine, have a nice day.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-28-13 07:27 PM
    http://berryflow.com/bbindiaadvert/

"Boo hoo, you?re not satisfied with BlackBerry marketing efforts in the United States??Well get your head out of the narrow minded culturally polarized gutter. BlackBerry marketshare in the US is dismal, and while many think the answer to swaying public opinion is a massive costly ad campaign about all the latest and greatest from BB?Windows has proved that strategy is not all to successful. "

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 07:38 PM
    O.K., so this thread is for BUYERS who take a long position, only. Fine, have a nice day.
    Thank you, you too.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 07:41 PM
  11. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    No, pull up a chair and stay a while.

This thread is a poll, with associated discussion.
    "VIEW POLL RESULTS: DID YOU BUY SHARES?"

The poll answers are 2/3 yes, 1/3 no at this point.

I came here as a potential buyer to ask about a safe point to jump in, hypothesizing $4.50 with rationale for that price. My entry price was generally considered low, but most objections were... less than well thought out in my opinion. The stock has slid 13% in the 2 weeks since and about 40% in a month. $4.50 seems less distant for most people today.

PS: I finally voted in the poll. Do I get a stamp or something allowing me official entry?
    sidhuk likes this.
    07-28-13 08:59 PM
    Thanks for the advice on getting some basic investing education, however looking through your post I feel you could benefit more than me. One rule I have heard repeatedly is don't become attached to a stock. They are tools to make money.

I have responded to your post by point below.

1. Their profit is negative and will only get worse for the foreseeable future according to consensus estimates. Even BBRY is forecasting further losses this quarter. You can only count on tax breaks and 'right sizing' for so long before the facts assert themselves on their cash.
    Earnings forecast:
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Earnings Forecast - NASDAQ.com

The cash burn, in my opinion, has started this quarter and will accelerate. Stay tuned for the Sept earnings call for the numbers to see if my opinion is correct. ”Promo prices” for BB10s and increased advertising expenses in a desperate effort to get BB10 to crawl above 1% will probably both be cited in the Sept earnings call as reasons for the cash burn. Lots more reasons, but I will partially address them as I respond to your other points.

PS: What's up with this obsession with calling losses "paper losses"? It is bad enough WRT stocks (if I had bought 100000 BBRY at $14.66 I would have lost almost $600000 in a month. Has no one here ever listed their assets to a financial institution before? This would be a real loss in net worth), but now it is companies too?

2. Draw your own graph of quarterly subscriber numbers. Collapse. At this point there is nothing substantial to replace these monies with. Lots of "coming soon" though. Unfortunately BBRY has historically had an interesting definition of "soon".

3. You forgot the Q5. You also are forgetting the abysmal take up rate of these released products. Remember the June 28 numbers? The A10 has spawned several threads decrying its mediocre leaked specs. I feel the A10 will find even less success in the market than the other BB10 devices. There are some very strong competitors in the phablet space being released this fall. As far as the "coming soon" stuff like x-platform BBM, forgive me if I don't count that as an assured future revenue stream. Maybe it will actually be released. Maybe it will be full featured. Maybe it will be relatively bug free. Maybe people on Android etc will try it. Maybe the BBRY NOC will survive the load of people trying it. Maybe people will keep using it. Maybe BBRY will find a way to get people to punch their credit card number into a BBRY web page to pay for... I don't know, something related to BBM. I'm not holding my breath. BES has its own battles to fight as well. Plenty of strong, established competitors.

4. Maybe. However I, and many others, think that if BBRY is to survive, it will be on the service side. They have a heck of a fight there which I partially described above, but they may be able to chip a ledge on the cliff and hang on. Will it be as a sub $5 a share company? I think that is a definite possibility.
    Thanks for responding!

You do make some fair points and some points which I will disagree with.

First, you are absolutely right about not getting too attached to a stock. Many people on this thread are too attached and I have to be careful as well. Point for you.

Secondly, the cash situation. Right now there is *no* documented cash burn. Cash flow was positive at the last ER on June 28. It is possible that they are using some cash now, but that is conjecture until the next earnings report. And a small decrease in cash could still be acceptable depending on the whole picture. Note that the structure of the Canadian tax system means more one-time cash savings if they continue to report losses.

Next, the subscribers. OS7 relies on subscribers for a steady and continuous cash flow. BB10 does not rely on subscribers. That is why they are stopping reporting subscribers. Other companies like Android and Apple do not report subscribers because they do not have any. It is possible that there is a decrease in Blackberry *users* right now and this is not good. But Blackberry is actively planning on having zero *subscribers* in a few years when OS7 is phased out completely.

My thesis is not that everything is fine at Blackberry. Rather, I believe that in the short-to-medium term there are too many things supporting the company. You alluded to some of them by referring to Blackberry's services. As well, their cash pile provides support even if it starts to gradually decrease soon.

Long-term is still an open question and you could very well be right about future problems. They certainly face a lot of serious challenges. But as of right now, the problems are not enough to sink the company this month, or even this quarter. Sometime during the winter we will have a better feel for the future of the company.

Cheers!
    07-28-13 09:13 PM
    http://berryflow.com/bbindiaadvert/

"Boo hoo, you?re not satisfied with BlackBerry marketing efforts in the United States??Well get your head out of the narrow minded culturally polarized gutter. BlackBerry marketshare in the US is dismal, and while many think the answer to swaying public opinion is a massive costly ad campaign about all the latest and greatest from BB?Windows has proved that strategy is not all to successful. "

Posted via CB10
    How many people in India can actually afford a z10?
    07-28-13 09:28 PM
    I may have to cash out and take my losses so I can send some money to my fiends family. I just don't know what to think right now.
    I don't envy that decision. Your future or their current needs.
    lcjr likes this.
    07-28-13 10:19 PM
    I may have to cash out and take my losses so I can send some money to my fiends family. I just don't know what to think right now.
    Sorry to hear. It certainly is a difficult choice.
    lcjr likes this.
    07-28-13 10:26 PM
    Talk of demise premature, BlackBerry says

But Totzke pointed out that the company still has 1 million government users and provides BlackBerry devices or services to 90 percent of Fortune 500 companies, including MetLife, ADP and Whirlpool.

He also noted that BlackBerry?s losses on the enterprise side might not be as alarming as they seem. Businesses, particularly government agencies, are typically extremely private about their tech partners, so even though BlackBerry appears to have lost favor among many notable names, the brand still has loyalty behind the scenes.

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...rosionxml.html
    morganplus8, zyben, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    07-28-13 10:31 PM
    Sorry to hear that lc. You gotta do what you feel is best. I hope his family and friends make it through this tough time.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, m0de25, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    07-28-13 10:54 PM
    How many people in India can actually afford a z10?
    Currently approximately 44 million. Which is about 10 million more than the UK.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-28-13 11:12 PM
    Thanks CJ. That was the last of my brotherhood. 11 gone now. I'm sooooo lucky to be alive. Ok, I'm only holding 50 shares now folks. You can bash me now. Dang, life sometimes sucks...
    All the best, LC. As impersonal as all of us are in this internet forum, let's continue to support each other, at least in good thoughts and intentions.
    07-28-13 11:25 PM
    I think this is it for me folks. We've had a great time and I've learned so much from all of you. I tried to list all of you but it took so long. I can still hang out if you don't mind but it will be a bit before I can invest again. I just gave all I had to my buddy's wife in the hopes it helps her and me in getting through this. He's gone here but I remember everything. I miss you Jeff!!
    My thoughts are with you lc. Your contribution to this thread has been most helpful. Take care!

Btw, the most important part of the title of this thread is "I support bbry...".
    07-28-13 11:30 PM
    Thanks man, so long as you guys allow me to contribute and give my knowledge of DOD and other contributions, I would like to stick around. But I would like everyone to know that I only have 50 shares now starting Monday morning. I gave all to my buddy's wife.
    No worries brotha! If we have a 100 dollar party, you can count on me for paying for all your drinks! If we go to $0, well be glad you sold lol...
    07-28-13 11:50 PM
    Lcjr, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. No matter if you are invested or not, you will always be welcomed here.

I may not say much but I have been following this thread for quite awhile. It is sad to see what this thread has transformed into over time but it really shows who the true supporters are. And you, my friend, are definitely one of the last pillars that are still holding this thread together. It will not be the same without you.

All the best with your decision. Do what feels right and never have regrets.
    m0de25, zyben, fedakd and 5 others like this.
    07-28-13 11:51 PM
    Sad to hear about your buddy lc. Nice to see there are still guys out there with morals, integrity and compassion such as yourself. It shows well on you and your upbringing. Hope you continue to hang around, wouldn't be the same without ya.
    cjcampbell, m0de25, lcjr and 8 others like this.
    07-28-13 11:52 PM
    On its part, BlackBerry India has expanded its channel and distribution networks. A year ago it was present in 80 cities and now it is present in more than 250 cities. Today, it has a market in many small towns. BlackBerry has also made concerted efforts to strengthen its presence in the enterprise segment. “We provide the best enterprise solutions and are still most favoured by the CIO community for the secure communication backbone that we provide to them,” says Lalvani.

Clearly, the Canadian device maker is bouncing back strongly in the Indian mobile phone market.

BlackBerry strikes back - Indian Express Mobile
    morganplus8, m0de25, zyben and 7 others like this.
    07-29-13 12:00 AM
    Lcjr, very sorry to hear about what happened. If I can say so, you did the right thing, and I am sure it means more to your buddy's wife than you can know.

I hope good things come your way shortly. I know you are looking at your post DoD career, so all the best in figuring out which path to take. In the meantime, rest assured you made the right call here. It doesn't make day to day life easier, but you will never regret it. Hang in there.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 12:04 AM
113,256 ... 16131614161516161617 ...