View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Sorry for the basement...but I'm sure a few will point out "the writing was on the wall".

Hope all goes well and insurance looks after you.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I'm sure someone warned me about the storm days before it happened, but since I have them on ignore I didn't get the warning.

Thanks, but I don't do insurance unless my family's well being is at stake. Just an excuse to renovate and to curse at the rain.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    07-27-13 11:58 PM
    Well I'm trying to find something out of the DoD and maybe completely out of government service. But no matter what I find I still want to get my own thing started which is buying and selling real estate along with classic cars and trucks. I also want to keep building awesome jeeps. My next project is going to be taking a normal jeep cherokee and cutting off the top so it's a convertible. I'll put in a roll bar and tailgate to complete the package.
    07-28-13 12:03 AM
    Well I'm trying to find something out of the DoD and maybe completely out of government service. But no matter what I find I still want to get my own thing started which is buying and selling real estate along with classic cars and trucks. I also want to keep building awesome jeeps. My next project is going to be taking a normal jeep cherokee and cutting off the top so it's a convertible. I'll put in a roll bar and tailgate to complete the package.
    Nice...

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 12:05 AM
    Yes, I'm sure someone warned me about the storm days before it happened, but since I have them on ignore I didn't get the warning.

Thanks, but I don't do insurance unless my family's well being is at stake. Just an excuse to renovate and to curse at the rain.

I'm in Alberta so we have the High River thing going on....I know a person there that got wiped out and I surly feel for anyone who has to deal with that BS.

Hope it works out for you.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-28-13 12:09 AM
    I'm in Alberta so we have the High River thing going on....I know a person there that got wiped out and I surly feel for anyone who has to deal with that BS.

Hope it works out for you.

Posted via CB10
    Oh nothing like what you folks are dealing with !!! Just a freak rainstorm that overwhelmed a basement window. Thanks for the concern though.

Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    07-28-13 12:14 AM
    Forgot to mention...character counts in buisness, some of these key board heros should learn that.....no doubt at all you will do well sir.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and cjcampbell like this.
    07-28-13 12:16 AM
    Are you Tim Z on twitter? Thanks for all the info.

Yep ! So you know my trade are real since I post it with Screenshot & I'm not in love with any stock ;-)

I can be long BBRY in the future & Short AAPL it will depend of the company !

I love Technology & I love Stock Market too !

Good Week-End to Eveybody ! :-)
    danprown likes this.
    07-28-13 01:50 AM
    I am enjoying the heightened level of discourse and debate here over the last day. Two observations about BB10 and BBM and their competition.

Yes, BB10 will have to battle hard to pick off iPhone and Droid users. However, it is a big mistake to equate Droid's market share with high user satisfaction. My Droid owner friends all say the same thing: once you have a Droid for a year or so, it bogs down and starts to do strange things. Email and social messaging do not come through in a timely fashion, and calls drop. One friend's Motorola Slider reboots constantly. They treat the last six to twelve months of their two-year Droid contracts as being a long slog they endure until they can upgrade. Do they love the OS? Yes, when it works. But let's not pretend that owning a Droid is all gummy bears and rainbows, ok? One good friend who has made fun of my Z10 actually said that he wishes his phone was "all cool with sliding stuff around" like mine (he meant the Flow and Peek features). He's on Sprint, so he would have to wait for the A10.

So, fine, maybe some Droid and iPhone users will switch, but maybe they won't. But as far as WhatsApp, FB, and Google being entrenched social messaging options that BBM can't compete against? Laughable. Google Talk or Google Hangouts is bug-tastic and has been for years. It USED to be better. Connectivity is intermittent, and messages are lost regularly. Worse, the app will TELL you you're connected, and you won't be. FaceBook? Anyone who loves FaceBook as a messaging platform, raise your hand and explain why. Tell me its strengths, because I would love to know them. From notifications that aren't made, to a lousy desktop layout, to incomprehensible behavior. On your desktop, FB mimics the look of an email client. But it's not. On my phone I deleted a message from my friend Steve. Little did I realize that it deleted EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE we had ever exchanged, because it treats every message (sent and received) as all part of one thread. With no Deleted Items folder, and no chance to get back what you lost. Thanks FB. I have never used WhatsApp, because a) no one I know in the States uses it and b) its poor reputation precedes it.

Sure, BlackBerry can still fumble the opportunity with BBM. It can fail to monetize it. But this is where the competition seems weakest. I can guarantee I can get three Droid and iPhone users to download BBM immediately. And I can probably get around ten more in short order when I explain that it doesn't use that much data, and they can scale back their expensive texting (SMS) plans as a result. A single BB10 user might never get a colleague or friend to get a BB10 phone, but they can easily get their friends to try the free BBM app.
    Man, you've inspired me way more than I already was. lol I'm impressed with all the details you mentioned, some that I didn't even know about (i.e. google talk being buggy). That's a real big point right there. Like how bad does your coding have to suck for you not to have an almost perfectly functioning app, which is made by the same people who make the damn phone your using, for you Android people. . .But it sucks that not many people see it our way here. At least not until they realize it some day in their lives when Blackberry is still stickin' around.

So if they don't monetize it, which I'm pretty sure they will do, for at least $3, if not $5. But would they suffer greatly with absolutely no gains if they made it free? Just curious. I know they would be pretty stupid not to because it's worth it as hell. Compared to all the stupid apps people pay for these days, or the good ones. This one is by far the most sexy ***, useful, productive, efficient, cost effective app on BB, but soon to be on all OS's. And tell me it wouldn't be a smart move for them to make it a PC/MAC app. BBM is takin' over baby!
    Reed Richards likes this.
    07-28-13 04:31 AM
    [warn]We are rapidly approaching the point where this thread will get another "cooling off timeout" if the insult trading and trollery does not stop. Whether that becomes a permanent timeout will depend on the ongoing conduct of the thread.[/warn]

Another 15 posts removed and warnings handed out for attacking other members instead of using the Report tool to request moderator review.
    07-28-13 06:32 AM
    We are rapidly approaching the point where this thread will get another "cooling off timeout" if the insult trading and trollery does not stop. Whether that becomes a permanent timeout will depend on the ongoing conduct of the thread.
    Wouldn't it be a better approach to have the offending posters handed a cooling off period? By far the majority of posters here respect the rules and other members views. By giving individual members a time out the rest of us could continue to enjoy this thread.
    07-28-13 07:29 AM
    Holy mackerel guys ! Tons to read this weekend. Thanks. I'm busy with a flooded basement and all the renos that go with. I look forward to some bedtime reading tonight.

That sucks man. What caused the flood (other than water )
    07-28-13 07:44 AM
    That's your opinion. Doesn't mean every one else needs to agree with it. So stop trying to force it.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't try to force anything. If anything, I gave an equally scoped response.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 08:47 AM
    Wouldn't it be a better approach to have the offending posters handed a cooling off period? By far the majority of posters here respect the rules and other members views. By giving individual members a time out the rest of us could continue to enjoy this thread.
    Only part of your statement is true…The majority of posters respect other members views, only when the price of BBRY stock is on the rise. When bad things happen with BBRY, they slam every anti-BB thread, even if they don't know what they are talking about. I praise "BBRY shorters", for having the brains to beat the stock market. That said, i'm ashamed at the way they are treated in these forums. If you stand up for yourself, you are shouted down as being a troll, or a traitor. It takes brains to play the stock market, and balls to be a shorter. Just my opinion, folks.
    Otech#CB and mikeo007 like this.
    07-28-13 08:47 AM
    Quick random question - they don't sell bb10 devices in China do they?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by cgk; 07-28-13 at 09:09 AM.
    07-28-13 08:49 AM
    Quick random question - they don't sell bb10 devices in China do they?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    Not sure but Lewis Hamilton won the Hungarian Grand Prix today.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-facebook-20130728-083240.png

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 09:35 AM
    Not selling in China yet officially yet. Black market only. They need apps before sale in there like full Wechat version.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 10:35 AM
    [warn]We are rapidly approaching the point where this thread will get another "cooling off timeout" if the insult trading and trollery does not stop. Whether that becomes a permanent timeout will depend on the ongoing conduct of the thread.[/warn]

Another 15 posts removed and warnings handed out for attacking other members instead of using the Report tool to request moderator review.
    Come on mods, this is a pro BB thread and the whole intent of this thread is to discuss the stock and BB related events that effect the SP. You now see folks on here with no intent of investing in BB and feel their negative comments are warranted. The thread is for those that support and invest in BB. Now we have several on here causing problems because their views aren't accepted or supported and you want to give everyone a time-out? How about getting the trolls out and those that feel their anti-BB views and comments are warranted in here? They can go make their own thread for petes sake. I'm out of here for a while. Hope everyone has a great Sundays and maybe I'll check in sometime next week.
    rim4ever, W Hoa, bungaboy and 14 others like this.
    07-28-13 10:52 AM
    Come on mods, this is a pro BB thread and the whole intent of this thread is to discuss the stock and BB related events that effect the SP. You now see folks on here with no intent of investing in BB and feel their negative comments are warranted. The thread is for those that support and invest in BB. Now we have several on here causing problems because their views aren't accepted or supported and you want to give everyone a time-out? How about getting the trolls out and those that feel their anti-BB views and comments are warranted in here? They can go make their own thread for petes sake. I'm out of here for a while. Hope everyone has a great Sundays and maybe I'll check in sometime next week.
    Yeah, I call BS on your last 7 words Have a great weekend yourself and good luck on all of the projects you're working on.

Bugmapper, hope the water damage is minimal.

See ya tomorrow!
    07-28-13 11:25 AM
    CB monitors should be mindful that a lot of BlackBerry fans are choosing to avoid cb as it is obvious to every cb fan that the haters have taken over the CB site posting nothing but negativity, lies, misinformation and pure hate for BlackBerry. These types of posts would NEVER be Allowed on WP central or imore.

Posted via CB10
    Otech#CB and ibpluto like this.
    07-28-13 11:26 AM
    Looks like cars are being compromised now. I see the article mentions ford which uses Microsoft tech. Toyota is mentioned too but don't know what they use.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...96R06120130728

Posted via CB10
    zyben, rarsen and Korepab like this.
    07-28-13 11:44 AM
    CB monitors should be mindful that a lot of BlackBerry fans are choosing to avoid cb as it is obvious to every cb fan that the haters have taken over the CB site posting nothing but negativity, lies, misinformation and pure hate for BlackBerry. These types of posts would NEVER be Allowed on WP central or imore.

Posted via CB10
    +1...this thread is the reason why I visit the site mostly. The interaction on here doesn't equal that of the BBM group.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 11:49 AM
    The competence of BlackBerry:

BBM: Whatsapp, Microsoft, Facebook, Google..
    BES10: Good, Airwatch, Citrix... Microsoft, IBM, SAP...
    Smartphone: Google, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung...

So you could argue that Prem Watsa, those Baker brothers, your friend that did a good trade and haven't told you that BlackBerry is dead, all of them are just insignificant ants compared to the talent that you can find in the companies that BlackBerry is competing with.

You suspect that BlackBerry has some sort of secret projects but don't have any idea of what it could be.

Those aren't good arguments to keep the stock, looks more like an emotional response.

And about the infallibility of the brilliant business men, well what can you say, send your story to Eike Batista, maybe you get him his first laugh of the year.
    I believe Morgan was replying to my specific question which I asked Morgan directly. I liked and respected his answer. we all work and do our life chores thinking we are doing the right thing. after all of those chores, holding a nice civilized conversation without insulting is also part of my life and I would like to keep that asset. I do take examples from Prem to Jim Cramer and make my perceptions like every one else does. I rather Liston to Jim Cramer first than Prem. All of Prem's holding in blackberry or most of Fairfax financials investment is fully hedged . the reason Prem's name shows up when blackberry stock is discussed is obvious but, I can completely understand why it irritates some of the people here. stock market is based on the future but we do use past and current examples or anything else in our life for that matter. even algorithms in stock trading software's are setup based on past examples but it does require continue human intervention based on the individual stock or current and future market conditions.
    I have heard that emotions shouldn't be part of the trading, I think that line need to be elaborated. a good or bad news changes market reactions/emotions/sentiments consequently changes trading decisions about the stock. even though, many times nothing technically had changed at the company fundamentals. I see that all times.
    so in order to cover my question, (which was indirectly about the ability of blackberry management team to get all their ducks in a row) Morgan had/choose to explain it with his life experience examples which I respected very much.
    if I need your opinion, I will ask you directly. or I will leave my question without directing at any one. having said all of that, I have nothing against you. I would still look forward to having a productive grown up conversation with you.
    Last edited by sidhuk; 07-28-13 at 12:43 PM.
    07-28-13 12:03 PM
    Hi guys !
    Out of my annual e-lethargy period, just the time of a (very long) read.
    I read so much insightful comments that I don't miss some posts that have been cleaned (Thanks PKCable and Branta).

Stay civil and friendly, as much as possible (or use ignore/report before the flames) !
    Cheers
    SF
    sidhuk and Bugmapper like this.
    07-28-13 12:13 PM
    I voted no. Does that make me eligible to post in this thread now?
    07-28-13 12:34 PM
  25. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I will agree that it is theoretically possible to go below $5 in the long-term, but in the near/middle term it is impossible.

I mean this in a polite way, but on the interweb sometimes things sound more rude than they are meant. So don't take this in a bad way.... If you don't understand why the stock cannot go below $5 anytime soon then you really need to get some basic investing education.

The reasons are:

1. Three billion in cash and growing. There is *no* cash burn at present. The cash hasn't even started to decline, let alone burn. If they continue to have paper losses they will also continue to get large tax rebates.

2. Although the subscriber base has started to decline, it is not collapsing. AND THIS DECLINE IS EXPECTED WITH BB10. If the entire base switched to BB10 tomorrow then their subscribers would go to zero overnight, but the company would be very healthy. That is why they are ceasing to report subscribers in the future --- it is not part of BB10. They are switching to a model similar to Android and Apple that does not involve subscribers.

3. They are still ramping up new products. The only BB10 products right now are the Z10 and Q10. We are still waiting for the A10, full roll-out of BES 10.1, and cross platform BBM, among other things.

4. A relatively small market share is acceptable, as long as the absolute numbers are enough to sustain the company. They do need to be selling a good couple million phones each month, and that is exactly what they are doing.

Like I said at the start, long-term they might run into trouble, but right now they still have way too much cash and way too many opportunities.

And actually, the process of composing this response helped me to think through Blackberry's long-term opportunities again. Really, in a few months they will start firing on all cylinders. They will have more apps, a stable of BB10 products, and at least a number of enterprises will be gradually switching to BB10. Even in a bad case scenario, BB will be hanging on just fine. It would take an unexpected external shock to really hurt them hard.
    Thanks for the advice on getting some basic investing education, however looking through your post I feel you could benefit more than me. One rule I have heard repeatedly is don't become attached to a stock. They are tools to make money.

I have responded to your post by point below.

1. Their profit is negative and will only get worse for the foreseeable future according to consensus estimates. Even BBRY is forecasting further losses this quarter. You can only count on tax breaks and 'right sizing' for so long before the facts assert themselves on their cash.
    Earnings forecast:
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Earnings Forecast - NASDAQ.com

The cash burn, in my opinion, has started this quarter and will accelerate. Stay tuned for the Sept earnings call for the numbers to see if my opinion is correct. �Promo prices� for BB10s and increased advertising expenses in a desperate effort to get BB10 to crawl above 1% will probably both be cited in the Sept earnings call as reasons for the cash burn. Lots more reasons, but I will partially address them as I respond to your other points.

PS: What's up with this obsession with calling losses "paper losses"? It is bad enough WRT stocks (if I had bought 100000 BBRY at $14.66 I would have lost almost $600000 in a month. Has no one here ever listed their assets to a financial institution before? This would be a real loss in net worth), but now it is companies too?

2. Draw your own graph of quarterly subscriber numbers. Collapse. At this point there is nothing substantial to replace these monies with. Lots of "coming soon" though. Unfortunately BBRY has historically had an interesting definition of "soon".

3. You forgot the Q5. You also are forgetting the abysmal take up rate of these released products. Remember the June 28 numbers? The A10 has spawned several threads decrying its mediocre leaked specs. I feel the A10 will find even less success in the market than the other BB10 devices. There are some very strong competitors in the phablet space being released this fall. As far as the "coming soon" stuff like x-platform BBM, forgive me if I don't count that as an assured future revenue stream. Maybe it will actually be released. Maybe it will be full featured. Maybe it will be relatively bug free. Maybe people on Android etc will try it. Maybe the BBRY NOC will survive the load of people trying it. Maybe people will keep using it. Maybe BBRY will find a way to get people to punch their credit card number into a BBRY web page to pay for... I don't know, something related to BBM. I'm not holding my breath. BES has its own battles to fight as well. Plenty of strong, established competitors.

4. Maybe. However I, and many others, think that if BBRY is to survive, it will be on the service side. They have a heck of a fight there which I partially described above, but they may be able to chip a ledge on the cliff and hang on. Will it be as a sub $5 a share company? I think that is a definite possibility.
    Richappa likes this.
    07-28-13 12:42 PM
113,256 ... 16121613161416151616 ...