Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    My thoughts, since you asked:
    “I don't see where you have any real investment knowledge”

I don’t have to have knowledge outside of diversification... and that it’s nearly impossible to beat the broader market, no matter who you are. Is that good enough?

“this thread is not a competition of the minds.”

Curious, you were the one who made comments about intellectuals.

“pushing weak theories”

Caution in the face of headwinds and diversification, ok.

"I support BBRY and BUY shares", yet you don't BUY/OWN shares. –

I own the product, and curious to see where the stock stabalizes and shows a clear sign of a turnaround. I’m here to make money, plain and simple. Because I’m not losing money at the moment, does that diminish my skepticism?

“It really doesn't matter what my background is, or how many degrees I have, or the number of papers published on the subject of investment, your behaviour is still the issue here.”

Does that mean you can’t be wrong sometimes? Even the best minds get it wrong... I certainly get it wrong... a bunch, which is why I run a diversified portfolio.

“Your constant focus on Bollinger Bands, without the consideration of all of the other TA that's talked about by some of us on this board stinks of something more sinister in your motivation.”

Sinister, yikes... I’ll focus on stochrsi divergence vis-�-vis price inclusive of support/resistance if that’ll make you happy. I’ve found more success using those anything else.[

Do you see the irony in claiming to have an investment background; then not providing us with any evidence of such background? –

What background would you like Morgan... I work for an asset management shop (buy-side) w/ a focus on fallen angels.

“Who spends years developing their craft and then shows up to a thread "post bad news" with no skin in the game”

As stated previously, I’ve made some money on the name, mostly luck on my puts, does that preclude me from sniffing around and suggesting caution...

“Do you honestly believe that someone with an MBA and a PhD would not look at fundamentals too?”

Ahh, the credentials. I don’t doubt that you’re an intelligent man Morgan... in fact I think you’re probably a swell fellow and have a bunch to share. My continued questioning of your post is merely the lack of colour on why almost every post is slanted to the extreme positive in the face of the most recent earning news.

“You kill me.”

Softly I hope?

“I'm calling you out on your continued rudeness”

I’m working on it.

“On this great thread”

Agreed.

If my position makes for a more honest conversation, does that make it bad?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-26-13 08:35 AM
    Not according to the New York Times which used IDC as its source:

Already, the combined share of the worldwide smartphone market controlled by Apple and Samsung Electronics slipped to 43 percent in the second quarter from 49 percent a year earlier, IDC, a research firm, reported Friday.

Some of the companies that are chipping away at the leaders are familiar names attempting comebacks, like Sony, Nokia and HTC. Others are relative newcomers like LG, Lenovo, ZTE and Huawei.

�The story is no longer Apple versus Samsung,� said Bryan Wang, an analyst at Forrester Research. �Going forward, they will both face similar challenges.�

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/bu...r=yahoofinance
    Eh? How does that go against his point that android/iOS is a monopoly? It doesn't

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    tiziano27 likes this.
    07-26-13 08:40 AM
    I welcome all opinions. I've just noticed that some that come on the thread express their opinion right off the bat by rudeness and belittlement. Not all mind you, just some here and there. Luckily the really rude people leave after a few posts but everyone who expresses their opinion with tact and kindness is more than welcome here. Hope everyone has a great Friday!
    07-26-13 08:44 AM
    Jeepers.... pretty soon, at this pace, each page on this thread will have 3 or 4 readable posts with the rest greyed out :s
    Yup, two new winners this morning.
    07-26-13 08:44 AM
    Back on track here, so are we close to breaking out of the low 9s anytime soon? lol. I would prefer north of 9 rather than 8s.
    07-26-13 08:48 AM
    Yup, two new winners this morning.
    I have to remember not to always quote. I know I'm guilty of that at times.
    07-26-13 08:49 AM
    You don't have to, of course.

So the thread title reads "I support BBRY I buy shares." But at the same time the thread is structured as a poll, where you can answer yes or no. The poll implies to me that contrary positions should be welcome, but it is clear in every page that posters with different opinions are treated by lepers by the clique of regular posters.

You would think that out of all the threads in CB, a thread about making money should be welcoming to a variety of opinions. Strangely this thread is less tolerant of opposing views than most any thread in CB.
    Not at all. The people here are merely asking for an engaged discourse on the future of BBRY and its current state in the market without the acrimony and patronizing attitude that has arrived at the same time as some of the new contributors. After June 28 it seems many new arrivals came here more to gloat and immerse themselves in a bit of schadenfreude rather than to meaningfully contribute, either as a bull or bear.
    07-26-13 08:52 AM
    I welcome all opinions. I've just noticed that some that come on the thread express their opinion right off the bat by rudeness and belittlement. Not all mind you, just some here and there. Luckily the really rude people leave after a few posts but everyone who expresses their opinion with tact and kindness is more than welcome here. Hope everyone has a great Friday!
    With you there sir!

No one here is ever quick to snap at those with negative views of blackberry so long as they're respectful. It should be a no brainer coming in here if you're talking down about the stock with people who passionately support the company you're going to get people pushing back.

But if you speak with fact and empathize with the thread you'll find it much easier to convey your points and find it easier to get a meaningful discussion going.

I continue to thank all those (on both sides) who add TA, fundamentals and general words of wisdom with regards to trading, investing and this stock specifically.

Keep it happy folks, it's friday. At the end of the day, time heals all - most of us can afford that time to rebuild what we've lost and wait to clearer days. only 6 months into investing I'm starting to see/read into charts of other companies and see that even the behemoths see their volatility and dips.

Let's all hope everyone prospers & continue to share meaningful thoughts on how to go about making more money.

Cheers to all!
    m0de25, lcjr, cjcampbell and 3 others like this.
    07-26-13 08:54 AM
    Eh? How does that go against his point that android/iOS is a monopoly? It doesn't

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    Well if your version of a monopoly is two separate entities controlling 43% of the market who am I to argue?
    dusdal, slipstream89 and bungaboy like this.
    07-26-13 08:57 AM
    Just for ****s and giggles, check out AOS - Alberta Oil Sands.......
    BergerKing likes this.
    07-26-13 09:10 AM
    I quite frankly don't think it is a flag ship. I think it is a Z10 clone with a lower cost design (non removable battery for example) and a larger screen. And to be frank, in the USA, with current rumored specs, they'll have to sell it for $1 on contract unless it is quad core.

I am saying again and again and again. If they don't start showing me something big picture that says they are going after consumers, they are done for. The need netflix, they need Pandora. They need to be able to stream wirelessly to my TV. They need this stuff. The thing is, to stream Netflix to the TV and do other things with the phone, you need quad core!

I really don;t know who they are targeting as customers with the A10. I can't imagine it is enterprise. And there is no one on the planet that will leave Android or iOS to try BB10. Give them a reason! Joe Shmoe average consumer will not buy the A10 or Z10 or Q10 or Q5 because the OS is good.

The only saving grace is The containerization for Android and iOS along with cross platform BBM. They could actually transition to the Android operating system quite easily. I hate to say it, but why not make an Android device? They could keep BB10 for people that want real security (enterprise/gov't) but they have pretty much made it possible to transition into Android devices also.
    Thanks for that input. I totally agree and was comparing the upcoming A10 against or side by side the upcoming Samsung Note 3. I'm wanting a phablet so whoever comes out with the best model for me will win my money. I'd like to stick with BB, but want something in between a phone and tablet for my business I'm wanting to start, so we'll see I guess.
    07-26-13 09:12 AM
    Just one bone to pick with your post.

It appeared to me that there were a number of posts before the ER regarding the suspect BB10 sales at and misdirection from the company which posts and posters were roundly ridiculed by the majority of posters believing every positive spin by the company or analyst.

After the ER, respected posters (Charles comes to mind) thought the company lied or just lost a lot of money (900K for former ceo) and left.

Now, there may be a lull in the overall timing but the stock is slowly going down. Why are the people pointing out suspected spin or simply bringing out to light negative news again ridiculed and targeted as trolls.

They are, after all, trying to post aggressively...

Otherwise, my main concerns regarding the stock is the lack of reliable sales numbers BB10 and BES related between ERs, the euro troika at the top and the timid board. The lack of transparency on the numbers only benefits large hedge funs who can spend the money to channel check or follow up with someone at the telcos to give them a hint as to the numbers sold. The small fish are operating on trust and crumbs from "analysts" and BBRY. We all know how that worked out. Service revenue gives BBRY some time, BBM and Channels (most optimistically a 1 billion asset like Instagram, Whatsapp) gives them a "hook" and an asset but won't save them if the handset business collapses.

In terms of "floor," if Larry the Liquidator or a "partner" did not come through at $6 per share, why come at anything above that? They could have seen what BB10 or BES was about as part of the due dilligence. Jim B saw it and bailed out.

So for anyone with all their money in BBRY, based on the above, a very sensible advice is to cash out and wait. If it goes to 100, or even 20, you will have plenty of time to enter, without being greedy. If not, well, you cut your losses (hopefully not 900K like for former ceo) and on you go. Meanwhile, rubbernecking or day-trading.

There are many here who are supposedly here to help us. Thank you!
    But... where were you before the ER?
    I suppose you could have helped us MORE if you had been posting so aggressively before???
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-26-13 09:16 AM
    Canadian Diabetes Association Saves Costs by Switching to BlackBerry-Only Solution

�By centralizing our BlackBerry solution, we realized this move would bring us tremendous cost savings. We estimate that the CDA will save as much as $250,000 over years; that includes data costs, long distance savings, hardware upgrades and paying to end contracts early,� Carpenter said
    The CDA�s employees are happy as well. �When we migrated our users over to the BlackBerry solution,� Carpenter said, �I asked them to show me anything they couldn�t do that they were already doing on their previous device. It�s not a hard sell once they begin using the BlackBerry device.�

Canadian Diabetes Association Cuts Cost With BlackBerry-Only Solution �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

Sorry, BlackBerry is a lot of things... but least expensive is not one of them. Easy to manage (if you are only using just BB10 or just BBOS), and secure - yes. And having just one platform to manage as well as being able to use the same apps - if they use apps for their business would be a plus.

But none of the reason they gave in that statement make sense.... Savings on Data Cost? Long Distance? Hardware Upgrades? Paying to end Contracts Early? How would any of that apply to BB and BB only?

Or the being able to do ANYTHING on the new BBs that they could do on previous devices - that only makes sense if the previous devices were BBOS devices.

Most likely BBRY did a donation (of devices and/or licenses) to the CDA who is a non-profit, so they get a right-off for their taxes. And they also get to post a "positive" pieces on the BBRY website.

Notice they didn't say anything about how many of the 350 employees are actually getting Corporate Phones...

Good news, yes. Should it affect a decision on investing, no.
    07-26-13 09:23 AM
    Not according to the New York Times which used IDC as its source:

Already, the combined share of the worldwide smartphone market controlled by Apple and Samsung Electronics slipped to 43 percent in the second quarter from 49 percent a year earlier, IDC, a research firm, reported Friday.

Some of the companies that are chipping away at the leaders are familiar names attempting comebacks, like Sony, Nokia and HTC. Others are relative newcomers like LG, Lenovo, ZTE and Huawei.

�The story is no longer Apple versus Samsung,� said Bryan Wang, an analyst at Forrester Research. �Going forward, they will both face similar challenges.�

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/bu...r=yahoofinance
    Google is a monster . I know a lot who feel conned into getting a crappy iphone5 . They say "ya... I like it" but when ask if they would get another iphone and the answer is a big NO. Most say Android/Samsung while the others say blackberry. I think iphone sales look stronger then true customer sale as carriers made stupid large purchase commitments and now sitting on millions of unsold iphone that were bought but not sold Verizon Might Owe Apple $14 Billion for Unsold iPhones - HotHardware. That is just but one carrier who will take a huge hit.
    leafs123 and bungaboy like this.
    07-26-13 09:29 AM
    I think the real problem here is those dedicated to this thread are likely BBRY share holders, most of them hoping to hear advice to stay with BBRY, the share price is going to sky-rocket, etc.

People don't like hearing bad news, and people especially don't like hearing what they don't want to hear.
    Compaqee and Kris Erickson like this.
    07-26-13 09:35 AM
    You don't have to, of course.

So the thread title reads "I support BBRY I buy shares." But at the same time the thread is structured as a poll, where you can answer yes or no. The poll implies to me that contrary positions should be welcome, but it is clear in every page that posters with different opinions are treated by lepers by the clique of regular posters.

You would think that out of all the threads in CB, a thread about making money should be welcoming to a variety of opinions. Out of all the threads, here is where it is most dangerous to plug your ears and sing lalalala when contrary views come along. Confirmation bias will make you lose money. Strangely this thread is less tolerant of opposing views than most any thread in CB.
    I just wanted to quote this in case some couldn't see it.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-26-13 09:37 AM
    Google is a monster . I know a lot who feel conned into getting a crappy iphone5 . They say "ya... I like it" but when ask if they would get another iphone and the answer is a big NO
    I think people tend of like Apple products across the board and love Verizon as well (despite not rolling out 10.1 or their high fees).

Apple, Verizon Take Home Brand of the Year Awards
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-26-13 09:38 AM
    A while back I stated that I thought not much was going to come from BlackBerry (news related) while they were in the midst of setting stock options for the management group. Here is the latest position for Heins:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-july-26a-2013-chart.jpg

Note that as of July 5th, he is all in and holds a position going forward here. Also note the Frank sold a chunk of stock at $ 9.67/shr here so that price seemed to be a good one for him (probably an automated RSA sale). We still don't know at what price Heins got his block of 3.5 million shares at.

As for the stock, we are in a well defined pattern here, seems surprisingly stable don't you think?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-july-26-2013-chart.jpg

The Bollinger Bands default at the 20-day moving average and today is a special day because it is the first day (or 20th) one to show the stock without the pre-June 28th highs in it. This means that the bands are going to narrow at a terrific rate as predicted by the dropping off of the stock pricing in the $ 14.50 range:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-july-26c-2013-chart.jpg.

And sure enough, you can see this occurring in today's trade with the bands rushing to converge. We are setting ourselves up for another situation like the last time the bands were super tight, i.e., another big move is in store here.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-july-26d-2013-chart.jpg

If you look back to 2011, you will see the exact same pattern developing as we have today, a major sell-off, a basing pattern and a pop. We are lining up for a pop here and only have to get above the 20-dma (today its $ 9.37/shr and dropping) or centerline in the BB's to see the rally. In the meantime, we are drifting lower while we wait for the bands to close by mid next week.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-july-26b-2013-chart.jpg

The scale of the movement looks to be diminished this time around but that is due to the price of the stock, when you look at the percentage move, they hold the exact same prominence. We will have extremely tight bands by mid week so things might become less boring for some of us. GL
    07-26-13 09:41 AM
    This JPM report is a bit old, 7/16 but I noticed the blurb below and thought i'd highlight it. There's also some colour on the Venezuela and R&D in the research note:

Two significant customers: BlackBerry disclosed that two customers together comprised 23% of FQ1�14 revenue (vs. only one customer that comprised 14% of FQ1�13 revenue). There was one customer that comprised 12.7% of accounts receivable as of June 1, 2013 (March 2, 2013 - one customer comprised 8.2%).
    mikeo007 and danprown like this.
    07-26-13 09:43 AM
    �there�s no way around tech analysis, so get over it� - & how many are undewater on their investment?

Taylor�s book talks about a host of other TA tools as well, with varying degrees of confidence. The truth is, if you were to take Taylor�s best indicators and build an algorithm to execute when it says buy and sell you�d lose money over any time horizon! Before you rely on someone else�s analysis... subscribe to tradestation, learn ELA code, program your inputs and run a few thousand back-test during various cycles... when it pukes out lots of red, come back and tell me how well bollinger bands work.

Also, if you're going to quote Taylor then it�s a bit disingenuous to not mention his risk management approach which is a firm part of his trading plan. I can guarantee you that Taylor would not have ridden this name down to where it is now hoping and praying.

Perhaps that�s why I�m viewed as rude... it�s like amateur hour around here sometimes. People pull a video of YouTube and hold it up as the holy grail of investing. Taylor isn�t looking for a white knight; he creates a trading plan and follows it. That in a nutshell is the most difficult part of investing... keeping your emotions in check!

I like Blackberry products, I like Apple products; heck I live on Google�s web browser and just bought the Chrome Cast... but do I take that to the next step to put my dollars behind the stock, no. Not unless there�s a compelling enough case where all signs point to positive future earnings.

I don�t see that yet from BBRY, till then, I�ll wait; gauge the sentiment from the diehards, look for company announcement and future earnings release to guide my investment thesis. I don�t like losses, paper losses especially.

Not surprised Morgan �likes� this comment.
    I did not follow the whole conversation here, but where did Taylor come in? I sure did not mention him, and sure have never been able to figure him out. But whether you lose money or what. Tech Analysis is going to be part of the conversation when you are discussing stock trading.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and Jahcure like this.
    07-26-13 09:49 AM
    We will have extremely tight bands by mid week so things might become less boring for some of us. GL
    Thanks Morgan! I sure hope we see something moving north soon. Even if we just move up to $10, that will raise some hopes and lighten the mood in here some.
    07-26-13 09:50 AM
    I just wanted to quote this in case some couldn't see it.
    Which earns you an ignore...
    07-26-13 09:52 AM
    Which earns you an ignore...
    I expected nothing less.

IMO, I'm in good company.
    mikeo007 and m1a1mg like this.
    07-26-13 09:58 AM
    07-26-13 10:00 AM
    I expected nothing less.

IMO, I'm in good company.
    Good company, on a bad thread.
    Or bad company, on a good thread.
    Whichever way you want to look at it....
    bungaboy and StormieTwo like this.
    07-26-13 10:02 AM
113,256 ... 16031604160516061607 ...