Marke share in q2-2013 using data from IDC:

Android: 80.24%
    Apple: 13.1%
    WP: 3.8% ?
    BB: 2.9% Sales stable in june?

Lumia: 3.1%
    BB10: 1.1% ?

It looks like a monopoly.

Growth Accelerates in the Worldwide Mobile Phone and Smartphone Markets in the Second Quarter, According to IDC - prUS24239313
    In the markets where they are still strong, the question for bbry/Nokia isn't 'can we catch Samsung/Apple' it is 'can we stop micromax, karbon, zte et al. from over taking us'.

The real crazy stat is the number of devices in China not running any Google services at all - massive market.

I think to an extent all of us (me included) are looking in entirely the wrong places for the next mobile superstar
    W Hoa likes this.
    07-26-13 03:35 AM
    Anybody else looking at the A10 specs and wondering if those specs are locked in or is there still chances that they will change?
    I am sure the circuit boards are done with assembly underway. Do not see now they could change now with out starting over again. It take months to procure parts and schedule manufacturing. What they are is what they will be.
    lcjr likes this.
    07-26-13 04:19 AM
    Hey, guys, y'all get someone that doesn't get it and is posting Off-Topic and bugging ya, or is just whatever, please don't quote 'em. It makes it a lot easier to clean up. If they wanna post about negativity and the same hoopla we've all read a couple hundred times, they can make their own thread and leave y'all alone.
    BK, THANK YOU! Please don't stop now.
    07-26-13 05:28 AM
    Lol...Bungaboy is going insane about now.

Posted via CB10
    Sanity partially in check! I have 18 of these trashers on my ignore list so most of the time I am unaware of the vile crud they spew.

. . . . . . . . . until somebody quotes them. Then . . . . . . BAM!
    07-26-13 05:41 AM
    I am hearing rumours of a "wolf cull" in the very near future.
    07-26-13 05:53 AM
    I am sure the circuit boards are done with assembly underway. Do not see now they could change now with out starting over again. It take months to procure parts and schedule manufacturing. What they are is what they will be.
    The other issue is they don't design those things in a day, the A10 will have been designed and priced based on estimates of how other models were priced, specced and should sell. So it is effectively on rails... We might see a bigger changes in the next generation.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    lcjr likes this.
    07-26-13 05:56 AM
    The other issue is they don't design those things in a day, the A10 will have been designed and priced based on estimates of how other models were priced, specced and should sell. So it is effectively on rails... We might see a bigger changes in the next generation.

I am more interested in these devices that will plug into lap and desk tops! Sounds like it has great promise but lack the confidence in Blackberry being able to bring it to market before Samsung or another company can.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 07-26-13 at 07:15 AM.
    Bugmapper and lcjr like this.
    07-26-13 06:00 AM
    LOL ............ Clearly, reading and comprehension aren't your strong points.

We have many contributors to this thread who are providing thoughtful analysis, demonstrating sound reasoning, in-depth knowledge of the topic at hand, and, factual, well researched, and/or intuitive information regarding their point of view or argument, but, we would still openly welcome your "special insight" re: the topic at hand ..... without the "calling out" and/or "insults".

But only a hypocrite like you would slam someone else's point of view, while not having posted a single positive thing about BBRY since you got here, post Fiscal Q1/2014 ...... all of this while blatantly ignoring the title of the thread. Now go back to bashing BBRY and anyone who dares to want to spend their time in the deep end of the intellectual pool. You would simply be dismissed as laughable if you weren't so rude.
    Morgan, it looks like you've tired of me knocking every post you make...

Are you a charted technical analyst? I doubt it because your analysis is extremely flawed. I am however, it was one of those 3 letter designation that I picked up along the way so I quite versed in it. So again, Bollinger Bands as the reason for a "snap back"... Seriously? Please show me any serious study that shows a 100% tech analysis that beats fundamental analysis in a back test. TA has short comings, you want to rely on it for a snap back thesis... Sold to you and your increased paper loss.

Shifting goal posts... Which jobs did BBRY create that you're referencing? The last few headlines have been high profile departures & now blowing out of R&D staff; surely this is good news... As reflected in the stock price?

A white knight saving the day is NOT an investment thesis! Another 3 letter destination I picked up along the way was a CFA... Sales, profits, excellent products are what get people interested. To add to your white knight list why not add playing global lottery programs so maybe they can increase their cash or better yet, maybe a guarantee from the Canadian Govt that they will buy all shares below $8/ share to put a floor in.

I don't disagree that positive news relating to MDM is a plus for the firm but my point is, why isn't the assumption that DoD WILL go w/ BBRY rather than the current state where you're hoping?

Regarding partnerships... TH was asked and didn't indicate a single name, but did say he was open... perhaps this is where we differ but what (probably)!sounds like a plus to you sounds like a plea for help. Weak companies have less leverage so even if they were to cut a deal, do you think the economics would really benefit BBRY as much as you thinks?

I believe my "bashing" on this board has focused on cautioning people to jump in until the skies are a bit more clear, i believe my "bashing" here also involves suggestions on diversification...

Morgan, if I'm gruff with you, my apologies... I'll take it easier on you and i'll be sure to bring my water wings the next time I attempt to swim in your league...
    aniym, mikeo007 and m1a1mg like this.
    07-26-13 06:30 AM
    This TA issue has really been run into the ground - at this state you ever buy into or don't - I don't, I think it is pseudo-science but don't feel the need to discuss that over and over - if people wanted to have a long detailed about TA -maybe a separate off-topic thread is the place for it?
    cjcampbell and aniym like this.
    07-26-13 06:40 AM
    LOL ............ Clearly, reading and comprehension aren't your strong points.

We have many contributors to this thread who are providing thoughtful analysis, demonstrating sound reasoning, in-depth knowledge of the topic at hand, and, factual, well researched, and/or intuitive information regarding their point of view or argument, but, we would still openly welcome your "special insight" re: the topic at hand ..... without the "calling out" and/or "insults".

But only a hypocrite like you would slam someone else's point of view, while not having posted a single positive thing about BBRY since you got here, post Fiscal Q1/2014 ...... all of this while blatantly ignoring the title of the thread. Now go back to bashing BBRY and anyone who dares to want to spend their time in the deep end of the intellectual pool. You would simply be dismissed as laughable if you weren't so rude.
    The bollinger bands squeeze indicator by john carter explained in this you tube, he guys if you discuss stock trading, there is no way around of tech analysis, so get over it.
    07-26-13 06:54 AM
    07-26-13 07:28 AM
    Snake oil, peddled by those who are trying to sell a system. TA may have had some value in the past when the traders were all people and they could be swayed by their mutual understanding of lines of resistance and other shapes. But 70% of trading today is done by algorithms - computer programs to whom you or I or chartists are guppies to be eaten

Now factor in the big hedge funds, insiders, and other market manipulators, any remaining feeble signal you hope to get from the charts are just drowned out by the whims of these giant whales.
    Last edited by notfanboy; 07-26-13 at 07:42 AM.
    aniym, mikeo007 and m1a1mg like this.
    07-26-13 07:32 AM
    I was going to blame the crown and Stella, but now that is cleared I can continue....lol

Posted via CB10
    Stella is one on my biggest weakness....
    lcjr, Bugmapper, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    07-26-13 07:40 AM
    So what do you think those algorithms are programmed to watch? Why does every single market trading program include TA indicators, including visual charts?

Valid points?

It's a tool in the box, not an all knowing 100% winner.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 07:41 AM
    Snake oil, peddled by those who are trying to sell a system. TA may have had some value in the past when the traders were all people and they could be swayed by consensus based lines of resistance and other patterns. 70% of trading today is done by algorithms - computer programs to whom you or I or chartists are guppies to be exploited.

Now factor in the big hedge funds, insiders, and other market manipulators, any remaining feeble signal you hope to get from the charts are just drowned out by the whims of these elephants.
    I won't argue, but the backbone of some algos are TA based/influenced or at least derived from TA theories so they are not quite as disconnected as you think. Not the arbitrage or high frequency ones, but mean reversion, pattern trading, and other algos have some connection to basic TA.
    07-26-13 07:44 AM
    In the end I have little faith in the charts no matter what method is being used. BBRY reacts so wildly with both good and bad news that the charts are useless most the time except to tell you where you are right now.

Got to be a slow day when most of the discussion is about this.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-26-13 07:46 AM
    Morgan, it looks like you've tired of me knocking every post you make......
    My thoughts, since you asked:

Not so much, you appear to be rude and ignorant to others, that's the issue and if that's the center of your life, I really don't care. I don't see where you have any real investment knowledge, but again, I don't care as this thread is not a competition of the minds . I think you believe this is now your sandbox and you've chosen to waste our time by pushing weak theories with little substance using your rudeness as a back drop. I never thought for a moment that you are "knocking every post" of mine, you're just being rude to owners of the stock, a key prerequisite of this thread, "I support BBRY and BUY shares", yet you don't BUY/OWN shares. It really doesn't matter what my background is, or how many degrees I have, or the number of papers published on the subject of investment, your behaviour is still the issue here. Your constant focus on Bollinger Bands, without the consideration of all of the other TA that's talked about by some of us on this board stinks of something more sinister in your motivation. I actually don't think you have a background in investment but I don't hound you about that with every post you submit on this thread. Do you see the irony in claiming to have an investment background; then not providing us with any evidence of such background? Who spends years developing their craft and then shows up to a thread "post bad news" with no skin in the game, ... berating others who own the stock and who have a vested interest in it. You think you are really helping anyone here, or perhaps just your own ego? I admit, I laughed when I'm told you have a backgroud in TA yet you don't demostrate it in any way, can you see the humour in that? Do you honestly believe that someone with an MBA and a PhD would not look at fundamentals too? You kill me.

I'm calling you out on your continued rudeness on this great thread, while purposely not passing judgment on your lack of content.
    07-26-13 08:08 AM
    The bollinger bands squeeze indicator by john carter explained in this you tube, he guys if you discuss stock trading, there is no way around of tech analysis, so get over it.
    “there’s no way around tech analysis, so get over it” - & how many are undewater on their investment?

Taylor’s book talks about a host of other TA tools as well, with varying degrees of confidence. The truth is, if you were to take Taylor’s best indicators and build an algorithm to execute when it says buy and sell you’d lose money over any time horizon! Before you rely on someone else’s analysis... subscribe to tradestation, learn ELA code, program your inputs and run a few thousand back-test during various cycles... when it pukes out lots of red, come back and tell me how well bollinger bands work.

Also, if you're going to quote Taylor then it’s a bit disingenuous to not mention his risk management approach which is a firm part of his trading plan. I can guarantee you that Taylor would not have ridden this name down to where it is now hoping and praying.

Perhaps that’s why I’m viewed as rude... it’s like amateur hour around here sometimes. People pull a video of YouTube and hold it up as the holy grail of investing. Taylor isn’t looking for a white knight; he creates a trading plan and follows it. That in a nutshell is the most difficult part of investing... keeping your emotions in check!

I like Blackberry products, I like Apple products; heck I live on Google’s web browser and just bought the Chrome Cast... but do I take that to the next step to put my dollars behind the stock, no. Not unless there’s a compelling enough case where all signs point to positive future earnings.

I don’t see that yet from BBRY, till then, I’ll wait; gauge the sentiment from the diehards, look for company announcement and future earnings release to guide my investment thesis. I don’t like losses, paper losses especially.

Not surprised Morgan “likes” this comment.
    07-26-13 08:08 AM
    no skin in the game, ... berating others who own the stock and who have a vested interest in it
    I'm interested in this assertion -- do people HAVE to have an investment in BBRY to have an opinion?

Why?

-CFOT
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-26-13 08:15 AM
    So what do you think those algorithms are programmed to watch? Why does every single market trading program include TA indicators, including visual charts?
    I won't argue, but the backbone of some algos are TA based/influenced or at least derived from TA theories so they are not quite as disconnected as you think. Not the arbitrage or high frequency ones, but mean reversion, pattern trading, and other algos have some connection to basic TA.
    I don't know if you can find any connection at all, at least with the kind of TA that shows up in this thread. The algos have thousands of rules. Sure some of these rules will resemble the few rules of "basic TA". But the timescales are different - orders of magnitude different. The charts posted here are on the scale of months, weeks, and days. The algos work in microprocessor time. The data available for rules is also different, again by orders of magnitude. The charts posted here use rules that rely on a single variable changing over time. The algos have access to huge amounts of real-time data from all corners of the market, depending on what the rules require.
    07-26-13 08:16 AM
    Well....Happy friday everyone!

Just caught up on the recent posts. Holy smokes. Let's all hug and have some beers. Decided to go out for drinks with the boys yesterday, thursday night drinking be crazyyyyy.

In any case, I suspect in the upcoming trading sessions we'll start seeing the stock move, it's been hanging out around 9 for far to long. Some peice of news that gets the folks moving. I still think the swing is going to be to the upside.

I've currently exited by BBRY shares and tried to make some trades (IMG) to get some of that capital working for me. So far so good! Recouped about 10% of my 4k losses =(.

BUT I WILL BE BACK. Mark my words. Just simply trying to capitalize on some other value plays at the moment. Money is money.

Love you all, will still be reading daily .

Cheers!

P.S - Morgan, good to see you posting again, assuming health is well?
    07-26-13 08:20 AM
    Just as an aside, z10 is now only �292 on Amazon UK if someone was looking to pick it up...

07-26-13 08:24 AM
    Jeepers.... pretty soon, at this pace, each page on this thread will have 3 or 4 readable posts with the rest greyed out :s
    07-26-13 08:25 AM
    I'm interested in this assertion -- do people HAVE to have an investment in BBRY to have an opinion?
    You don't have to, of course.

So the thread title reads "I support BBRY I buy shares." But at the same time the thread is structured as a poll, where you can answer yes or no. The poll implies to me that contrary positions should be welcome, but it is clear in every page that posters with different opinions are treated by lepers by the clique of regular posters.

You would think that out of all the threads in CB, a thread about making money should be welcoming to a variety of opinions. Out of all the threads, here is where it is most dangerous to plug your ears and sing lalalala when contrary views come along. Confirmation bias will make you lose money. Strangely this thread is less tolerant of opposing views than most any thread in CB.
    Last edited by notfanboy; 07-26-13 at 08:52 AM.
    mikeo007 and m1a1mg like this.
    07-26-13 08:27 AM
    Marke share in q2-2013 using data from IDC:

Android: 80.24%
    Apple: 13.1%

It looks like a monopoly.

Growth Accelerates in the Worldwide Mobile Phone and Smartphone Markets in the Second Quarter, According to IDC - prUS24239313
    Not according to the New York Times which used IDC as its source:

Already, the combined share of the worldwide smartphone market controlled by Apple and Samsung Electronics slipped to 43 percent in the second quarter from 49 percent a year earlier, IDC, a research firm, reported Friday.

Some of the companies that are chipping away at the leaders are familiar names attempting comebacks, like Sony, Nokia and HTC. Others are relative newcomers like LG, Lenovo, ZTE and Huawei.

�The story is no longer Apple versus Samsung,� said Bryan Wang, an analyst at Forrester Research. �Going forward, they will both face similar challenges.�

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/bu...r=yahoofinance
    07-26-13 08:29 AM
113,250 ... 16021603160416051606 ...