View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
  1. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I am sorry but this is getting too fantastical to carry on - you might as well be talking about what Heins will do when he is running MS . .

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    You are fortunate to have missed the exchange where it was suggested that once BBRY "ceases to offer smartphones", they could sell BB1x that customers would choose to install over a surviving manf's OS.
    07-25-13 02:42 PM
    One more time with feeling:

0:26 "I'm HORNY"... WTF.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    07-25-13 02:42 PM
    slow day, sorry guy's n gal....this is very funny (skip the first 1:20)....we could use some stuff like this:

bungaboy and cjcampbell like this.
    07-25-13 02:45 PM
    I really don't expect much for the next few days... Unless some surprise news comes out. I'm waiting for fairfax and Prem to discuss their BB holdings.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-25-13 02:49 PM
    I really don't expect much for the next few days... Unless some surprise news comes out. I'm waiting for fairfax and Prem to discuss their BB holdings.
    I'm not expecting anything like that. Those guys have so many holdings (including stocks lol) they probably haven't noticed yet that BBRY sank down into the 8's. We need another update, release, or event.
    07-25-13 02:57 PM
    ....we could use some stuff like this:
    Please no.
    Shanerredflag, Randeman and lcjr like this.
    07-25-13 03:08 PM
    Next big event is the Blackberry Jam Asia 26-27 September. Developers attending will get a free device. "We are committed to ensuring that the BlackBerry� developer community has the proper tools to develop outstanding BlackBerry 10 apps, so we will be providing BlackBerry� 10 Dev Alpha C devices to qualified developers who attend BlackBerry Jam Asia 2013!"

BlackBerry Jam Asia: Why Attend
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-25-13 03:08 PM
  8. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Apple iPhone charger teardown: quality in a tiny expensive package

Isolation
    Because the power supply can have up to 340V DC internally, safety is an important issue. Strict regulations govern the separation between the dangerous line voltage and the safe output voltage, which are isolated by a combination of distance (called creepage and clearance), and insulation. The standards[12] are somewhat incomprehensible, but roughly 4mm of distance is required between the two circuits. (As I discuss in Tiny, cheap, dangerous: Inside a (fake) iPhone charger, cheap chargers totally ignore these safety rules.) You might expect the primary board to have the dangerous voltages and the secondary board to have the safe voltages, but the secondary board consists of two areas: the hazardous area connected to the primary board, and the low-voltage area. The isolation boundary between these areas is about 6mm in the Apple charger and can be seen in the above diagram. This isolation boundary ensures that dangerous voltages cannot reach the output.

What makes Apple's iPhone charger special
    Apple's power adapter is clearly a high-quality power supply designed to produce carefully filtered power. Apple has obviously gone to extra effort to reduce EMI interference, probably to keep the charger from interfering with the touchscreen.[16] When I opened the charger up, I expected to find a standard design, but I've compared the charger to the Samsung charger and several other high-quality industry designs,[17] and Apple goes beyond these designs in several ways. The input AC is filtered thorugh a tiny ferrite ring on the plastic case (see photo below). The diode bridge output is filtered by two large capacitors and an inductor. Two other R-C snubbers filter the diode bridge, which I've only seen elsewhere in audio power supplies to prevent 60Hz hum;[6] perhaps this enhances the iTunes listening experience. Other chargers I disassembled don't use a ferrite ring and usually only a single filter capacitor. The primary circuit board has a grounded metal shield over the high-frequency components (see photo), which I haven't seen elsewhere. The transformer includes a shield winding to absorb EMI. The output circuit uses three capacitors including two relatively expensive tantalum ones[14] and an inductor for filtering, when many supplies just use one capacitor. The Y capacitor is usually omitted from other designs. The resonant clamp circuit is highly innovative.[9]

Apple's design provides extra safety in a few ways that were discussed earlier: the super-strong AC prongs, and the complex over-temperature / over-voltage shutdown circuit. Apple's isolation distance between primary and secondary appears to go beyond the regulations.

And the knockoffs:
    Tiny, cheap, and dangerous: Inside a (fake) iPhone charger
    The UL has complex safety specifications on how much distance (known as "creepage" and "clearance") there must be between the primary and secondary sides to prevent a shock hazard.[6] The rules are complicated and I'm no expert, but I think at least 3 or 4 mm is required. On this power supply, the average distance is about 1 millimeter. The clearance distance below R8 on the right is somewhat less than one millimeter (notice that white line crosses the PCB trace to the left of R8).

I wondered how this power supply could have met the UL standards with clearance less than 1 mm. Looking at the charger case more closely, I noticed that it didn't list any safety certifications, or even a manufacturer. I suddenly realized that purchasing the cheapest possible charger on eBay from an unknown manufacturer in China could actually be a safety hazard. Note that this sub-millimeter gap is all that's protecting you and your phone from potentially-lethal 340 volts. I also took the transformer apart and found only single layers of insulating tape between the windings, rather than the double layers required by the UL. After looking inside this charger, my recommendation is to spend a bit more on a charger, and get one that has UL approval and a name-brand manufacturer.

I saw chargers in the university student union building being sold on a table in the hall last week for $6 in among $8 iphone cases. Looked just like the original. Interestingly, when the lady sold one she took the customer's phone and tested that the charger actually worked. Perhaps some QC issues?

Truly amazing that posters here think Apple should initate a "massive recall" for an issue that is highly unlikely to be their fault and that would do nothing to actually resolve the safety issue. Perhaps they hope the negative publicity could indirectly help BBRY stock? If so, that is rather... unaltruistic.
    07-25-13 03:12 PM
    Next big event is the Blackberry Jam Asia 26-27 September. Developers attending will get a free device. "We are committed to ensuring that the BlackBerry� developer community has the proper tools to develop outstanding BlackBerry 10 apps, so we will be providing BlackBerry� 10 Dev Alpha C devices to qualified developers who attend BlackBerry Jam Asia 2013!"

That probably won't do anything to sp as I don't think it will get any coverage. It's a full on dev thing.... no keynote, no announcements, no media coverage.
    lcjr likes this.
    07-25-13 03:13 PM

More marketing dollars wasted. I believe we have the support of the smaller developers. What we need now is sufficient subscribers so that BlackBerry's ecosystem is also consider relevant when developing an app.
    07-25-13 03:26 PM
    That probably won't do anything to sp as I don't think it will get any coverage. It's a full on dev thing.... no keynote, no announcements, no media coverage.
    True dat, but at least BB is conducting business and has developers gathering at an event. That's good for publicity and general public awareness. I'm thinking we dive really deep into BB business in this thread and the general public doesn't know 1/1000,000th of what is covered here so when they see or hear these type events are going on maybe, just maybe they think BB is doing great things. I know, I'm reaching here. lol
    cjcampbell and morganplus8 like this.
    07-25-13 03:29 PM
    Today is the nineteenth day of downtrend. The stock had 11.8 million in volume, and closed at $8.98. The stock got out of the top blue descending triangle line (shown on all charts), dip a little bit below it, and bounced to close at $8.98. The same low at $8.90 occurred again, which was the low of 7/19 and 7/22 as well. I think, tomorrow will be either sideways (stay around $9 - $9.05 or break down (break $8.95, and then break $8.90). If the stock breaks $8.90, then we are still in a downtrend. If we stay sideways, then we are flattening the bottom, and are waiting for a break out.

Bullish interpretation:
    It continues to bounce off the $8.90, $8.95, and $9 support level. $8.90 were tested 3 times. It created a clear flat bottom of the cup--pink line on the daily chart. Not enough selling pressure to move this stock down significantly. It needs to bounce off the blue line with price range around $8.95 - $8.94 tomorrow. Weekly chart so far shows an inverted hammer as trend reversal sign.

Bearish interpretation:
    It is just a matter of time, until $8.90 support breaks. Friday is usually red. Daily stoch. RSI will cycle down. "Death cross" on the daily chart may scare traders or encourage to short the stock.

My hopium:
    $8.90 as the low on the Abigail Doolittle's chart.

30 minute:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-25-4.02.52-pm.jpg

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-25-4.03.36-pm.jpg
    07-25-13 03:38 PM
    Thanks JLagoon, this is definately getting interesting.
    07-25-13 03:46 PM
    I appreciate that you put out both a bearish and a bullish interpretation. This makes it clearer that there is a subjective aspect to technical analysis. However there is a third interpretation that I think needs to be pointed out. Consider the the graph you are describing in you text below.

It continues to bounce off the $8.90, $8.95, and $9 support level. $8.90 were tested 3 times. It created a clear flat bottom of the cup--pink line on the daily chart. Not enough selling pressure to move this stock down significantly. It needs to bounce off the blue line with price range around $8.95 - $8.94 tomorrow. Weekly chart so far shows an inverted hammer as trend reversal sign.
    Is it possible that you are trying to ascribe some meaning to a random walk? Humans after all are very good at finding patterns and shapes.
    07-25-13 04:03 PM
    Is it possible that you are trying to ascribe some meaning to a random walk? Humans after all are very good at finding patterns and shapes.
    This stock is volatile, but it is not as random as we may think. What makes us think that it could be random is the fact that we don't move the market. The parties with big budget, and HFT move this. As far as I can recognize, the $8.90 - $9 support pattern is very similar to the $9.10 - $9.20 pattern. Do you remember, when it just weaved around $9.20 last week, before it broke out downward of the descending triangle? Last week, $9.10 was looking like the flat bottom, but it broke $9.10 on 7/19. Now, $8.90 is looking like the flat bottom. Will it break $8.90 tomorrow? If it does, then jeeeezz @#$!@#%^^@.

So, what kind of scenario does this type of situation usually resolve or can resolve? There still a lot of shorts that have not covered. Buyers that cause a break out haven't showed up. What is happening then? Is it just HFT and day traders recycling trades? Or is there a huge accumulation that has been happening "silently"?

Morgan seems to have the most experience with this; perhaps he could enlighten us further, based on the stock action today, and up to date.

Here's a chart with the blue fill and red fill to show the two support pattern range:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-25-5.07.24-pm.jpg
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-25-13 04:17 PM
    Anyone noticing yet that charts are correct half the time?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 04:21 PM
    You are fortunate to have missed the exchange where it was suggested that once BBRY "ceases to offer smartphones", they could sell BB1x that customers would choose to install over a surviving manf's OS.
    I might have missed something, but who made that suggestion? For my part, I was simply wondering if, years from now, handset specs and durability would be high enough to allow BlackBerry to roll out major new versions of its operating systems that users could opt to purchase, to replace their older BB operating systems. I never suggested replacing a Droid OS with a BlackBerry OS on a handset, and I don't recall anyone else saying that. Another forum member gave the opinion that years-old hardware will probably not a) be durable enough and b) perform well enough to pull this off, which is completely fair. I based my question on when I seamlessly upgraded my laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7. The years-old hardware was completely up the tasks I required of it.

A customer who absolutely loves the form-factor of his phone might indeed be interested in upgrading its OS over the air for $100, especially if doing so would not trigger the need for a new contract from his carrier. Corporate customers could update their "fleet" of handsets without a large capital expenditure. The other member is right: phones might never reach this state of durability. But these sales would be high margin.
    07-25-13 04:26 PM
    This stock is volatile, but it is not as random as we may think. What makes us think that it could be random is the fact that we don't move the market. The parties with big budget, and HFT move this. As far as I can recognize, the $8.90 - $9 support pattern is very similar to the $9.10 - $9.20 pattern. Do you remember, when it just weaved around $9.20 last week, before it broke out downward of the descending triangle? Last week, $9.10 was looking like the flat bottom, but it broke $9.10 on 7/19. Now, $8.90 is looking like the flat bottom. Will it break $8.90 tomorrow? If it does, then jeeeezz @#$!@#%^^@.
    Let me tell you why I'm skeptical about this. TA talks about lines of support, lines of resistance, bands, cup and handles, etc. It conjures up images of a mechanical thing that obeys some laws of mechanics. "We are testing the support line". "We broke the resistance" It like those red lines and blue lines is some kind of physical scaffolding and structures that somehow affects the movement of the graph. I think those lines and their effect are imaginary.

What happens when a prediction doesn't pan out? Not a problem. The next day a chartist simply starts over and draws new lines! Predictions also are given a lot of leeway. A chartist could say we are due for a "breakout" or a "key reversal". But for several days nothing happens. Eventually something has to happen though. If the movement is in the right direction, the prediction is counted as a success. If not, the failed predictions are blamed on manipulation, swept under the rug and forgotten. Predictions are bound to be correct half the time, but human nature quickly forgets the misses and only remembers the hits.

Also I don't recall a single instance where the chartists here were able to predict a significant stock movement. I can recall any significant shift that was anticipated by the chartists. When the stock moved up or down by 2% or more, it was always because of an analyst downgrade or upgrade, earnings report, or some real news.
    07-25-13 04:43 PM
    ^^TA is more for predicting how a stock will move in the absence of any significant news

obviously TA isnt going to be able to predict any good news or bad news, and in these situations big swings happen. But when there is no news and its just a quiet day, TA could somewhat predict how a stock will react during that day
    07-25-13 04:50 PM
    As soon as materials become available that can make a smart phone have multi year durability then those same materials will be used to create smart phones that are 50% thinner and lighter with less durability. The consumer will generally choose the thinner and lighter phone while the corporate customer will usually complain that their employer is issuing them a brick.

On a similar note � we can thank Steve Jobs for the current standard of using glass for smartphone screens as this is something that he insisted on for the original iPhone. Prior to that smartphone screens were constantly getting scratched up because they were made out of plastic.
    07-25-13 04:53 PM
    I don't understand some of the long winded or never ending posts from the anti BlackBerry fans here. what is it would you like to see happen with BlackBerry? Do you want everyone at BlackBerry to lose their jobs? What would make you unhappy negative people happy?

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, cjcampbell, spike12 and 9 others like this.
    07-25-13 05:01 PM
    Let me tell you why I'm skeptical about this.
    Personally, chart or no chart, I just want this stock to go to the book value, which is still $18, I believe. I thought of selling on 6/26 and 6/27, and I was green. I knew that it was going to go down, because the daily stoch. RSI is at the top, and would cycle down. However, I did not expect it to go down 25%. That is an insane range plainly speaking. Imagine that your country currency lost 25% of its value in less than 1 day, so your money in the bank is 25% less valuable. Ouch, right?

It also depends on the time frame expectation that you have for profit. Some are waiting for $15, $18, $24, even $100. When can one expect to see these prices? Tomorrow? One week from now? After September 28? Next year? If you want to day trade this stock, then 80% of the time, you can follow the stoch. RSI on the 30 minute chart. It is pretty accurate. I think, we are tracking for weeks and months mostly here.

Nevertheless, if charts are the only map that I have against the unpredictable weather conditions to at least see, what paths are available for me to travel, then it is better to have them, than none at all.
    07-25-13 05:15 PM
    If bb10 doesn't start selling better, we probably won't see $30+ ever.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 05:20 PM
    Apparently the Q10 is launching before the end of July in Brazil

BlackBerry Q10 Enfim Lan�ado no Brasil

IMO this is a very important and growing market. It's also a market in which BlackBerry falls into the 'other' category for marketshare.

Sometimes I wonder if they are better off in countries that have never seen a BlackBerry haha.
    07-25-13 05:27 PM
    If bb10 doesn't start selling better, we probably won't see $30+ ever.

Posted via CB10
    I predicted 28 by December... O yea!

I've looked at my trading account once since ER... Boo. BB has been very quiet since their shareholder meeting...

Just broke 40 000 posts.
    CDM76 and lcjr like this.
    07-25-13 05:29 PM
113,251 ... 15981599160016011602 ...