View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    There has been a weird disconnect in the UK between BBRY's self-image and its actual customer base in recent years - we heard a lot about "toys not tools", productivity and all that but the real consumer for bbry's products (outside of enterprise) has been parents buying cheap burner phones for kids (curves) or people on low incomes such as teenagers buy their first phone and wanting cheap data packages - it's almost like BBRY think this is a short blip and when they wake up, they will be a brand that commands a decent premium.
    Agreed, same in Canada, I have 2 children, both of them plus my wife had Blackberry's on a Limited BIS plan (email / messaging only or social networking / messaging only) I had a full data plan. I decided to go WP8 for this cycle just to try something different, my oldest went android. My wife and youngest are due to upgrade in the fall and cannot find any compelling reason to go BB if the BIS limited plans were still available they likely would have stayed BB.
    07-24-13 10:37 AM
    Business Insider offered this today:

Photos Of Blackberry's New Smartphone Leak And It Looks Pretty Slick

Photos Of Blackberry's New Smartphone Leak And It Looks Pretty Slick - Yahoo! Finance
    07-24-13 10:58 AM
    No... just pending as of 8 am today. But prices are listed. Just letting everyone remember that GoC does not pay fire sale prices.
    Ok. Thanks
    With new Rogers contract most will get the 2 year contract price I'd imagine. In which case waiting until Jan 1 might be a good idea due to new CRTC rules re: contracts

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 11:09 AM
    New Nexus 7 finally adding some hardware specs the PB had years ago. Sadly the PB's potential was never fulfilled.
    CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    07-24-13 11:21 AM
    Looking at the new blackberry 5inch phone. it does look like a winner IMO. by the time it gets released, should be able to use the majority of the android apps, wireless HDMI/local wifi, big screen with better GPU, good size battery. deeper Bluetooth integration with QNX. speed is just fine with dual core.
    it sure satisfies my shopping list. not sure if I am gonna need a tablet with it? I have already accounted the BB10 as the most advanced operating system. I am just fine with 8mp camera.
    07-24-13 11:30 AM
    Looking at the new blackberry 5inch phone. it does look like a winner IMO. by the time it gets released, should be able to use the majority of the android apps, wireless HDMI/local wifi, big screen with better GPU, good size battery. deeper Bluetooth integration with QNX. speed is just fine with dual core.
    it sure satisfies my shopping list. not sure if I am gonna need a tablet with it? I have already accounted the BB10 as the most advanced operating system.
    The size of the A10 is growing on me and might consider dropping the Z10 for it. The battery size is a winner for me and might just leave the tablet at home as well for watching videos on the go. It's big enough to watch a TV show on the go.
    sidhuk, Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    07-24-13 11:34 AM
    Do you guys think the A10 is BBRY's last stand? If this doesn't take off I think they will start looking for a buyout or completely move to a software only company.
    07-24-13 11:42 AM
    Do you guys think the A10 is BBRY's last stand? If this doesn't take off I think they will start looking for a buyout or completely move to a software only company.
    I wouldn't go that far but it might be the last stand for Heins.
    07-24-13 11:47 AM
    I don't think it's a last stand at all...they just have to break even on hardware + expenses until their broader vision takes hold.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell, jxnb, W Hoa and 4 others like this.
    07-24-13 11:49 AM
    The size of the A10 is growing on me and might consider dropping the Z10 for it. The battery size is a winner for me and might just leave the tablet at home as well for watching videos on the go. It's big enough to watch a TV show on the go.
    I agree with you.
    as it has been said before that, it is hard to make a good OS, which blackberry has done it. the rest of the things like hardware, apps are not as hard as it seems. blackberry made a good decision by keeping android support. most of the traders have a short memory and want instant results and follow the kings. how ever, long term vision requires looking at the bigger picture. I do like blackberry management, and I like what they are doing. this a marathon and on going process. people talk about other phone specks and their pricing etc. but none of those is blackberry. blackberry can match other phones with the almost same kind of specks, but the others can not provide blackberry experience. i still like blackberry chances. the day it catches the momentum in north America, the traders will switch in no time because traders have no loyalty. blackberry management is still in the learning phase about what consumers want, they have enough cash on hand to learn and nail it.
    LG is a good example of not giving in to big two.
    Shanerredflag, jxnb and bungaboy like this.
    07-24-13 11:53 AM
    A10, Z10, Q10, Q5, 9720..... we are missing at least one, if not two devices, so I don't see it as a last attempt. I see it as them providing a complete lineup for consumers to choose from.

Calling the A10 a "last stand" is like saying the Chevy cavalier didn't sell well so the Chevy Silverado is GM's last stand. It is just one of several products that they offer to different users. The hyperbole in the tech industry is off the charts.

I do see the A10 (once BB10.2 is ready) as a perfect opportunity to reboot their marketing in the US. Now they can show off 4 distinct devices at displays around the world and advertise accordingly.

At least that is how I would synchronize the beginning of a big ad campaign - in concert with the A10 and 10.2 and hopefully BBM cross platform. All at the same time.
    Shanerredflag, jxnb and bungaboy like this.
    07-24-13 11:59 AM
    Chrome cast

Everyone needs to read up on this.

It's what I and some others said bbry needs to do. Well, Google did it first. Another nail for the coffin.

Oh it works with iOS also...

Sad.

UPDATE : $35
    Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 12:05 PM
    Head of BlackBerry's PlayBook Tablet, David Smith, Leaves Company - WSJ.com

A senior BlackBerry Ltd. executive who was in charge of the largely unsuccessful PlayBook tablet is no longer at the company.

David J. Smith, an executive vice president in charge of mobile computing, left the company within the past few weeks, according to a person familiar with the matter. Mr. Smith couldn't immediately be reached.
    07-24-13 12:07 PM
    Agree...I have found with my Z that I much prefer the charging bundle to swapping for a fresh battery as it saves the reboot time. Sooo a non removable battery doesn't matter that much either.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 12:09 PM
    Chrome cast

Everyone needs to read up on this.

It's what I and some others said bbry needs to do. Well, Google did it first. Another nail for the coffin.

Oh it works with iOS also...

Sad.

UPDATE : $35
    Posted via CB10
    How so? The OS has DLNA built in. Chromecast is an accessory, just like the Nexus Q. Was that a nail in BB's coffin?
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-24-13 12:27 PM
    I don't think it's a last stand at all...they just have to break even on hardware + expenses until their broader vision takes hold.

Posted via CB10
    No I can't see it - the shareholders want signs of growth and "we are just breaking even but don't worry we have a vision!" ust wouldn't cut it in regards to the CEO - they might agree with the vision but there would surely be moves to get in a CEO who can more aggressively get them there.
    07-24-13 12:41 PM
    Head of BlackBerry's PlayBook Tablet, David Smith, Leaves Company - WSJ.com

A senior BlackBerry Ltd. executive who was in charge of the largely unsuccessful PlayBook tablet is no longer at the company.

David J. Smith, an executive vice president in charge of mobile computing, left the company within the past few weeks, according to a person familiar with the matter. Mr. Smith couldn't immediately be reached.
    It's a miracle he lasted this long.
    07-24-13 12:48 PM
    Blackberry Playbook
    Victim to no apps and not enough ram for future upgrades.
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    07-24-13 12:51 PM
    boy we need some good news ......getting depressing
    07-24-13 12:56 PM
    No I can't see it - the shareholders want signs of growth and "we are just breaking even but don't worry we have a vision!" ust wouldn't cut it in regards to the CEO - they might agree with the vision but there would surely be moves to get in a CEO who can more aggressively get them there.
    Perhaps but it would appear given the Boards vote of confidence they believe in that vision and the time lines he's provided.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-24-13 01:00 PM
  21. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    A Gaping Hole in BlackBerry�s Turnaround | The Motley Fool

1. "As recently as fiscal 2011, hardware contributed over two-thirds of all gross profit, with services accounting for the rest. In fiscal 2013, hardware has fallen into negative gross margin territory, which means that services are paying the bills right now."

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-gross-profits.png

2. "Since BlackBerry 10 devices use generic data plans offered by mobile operators instead of BlackBerry Internet Service, or BIS, plans, and the goal is to transition entirely to the new platform, the consumer side of services revenue will eventually decline to zero over time."

3. BBRY is pinning hopes for future revenue on MDM etc, but these are very competitive areas. Even with optimistic assumptions for BES, the numbers just don't add up.
    "Without a thriving services business, there is no turnaround for BlackBerry."

Troubled times.
    07-24-13 01:10 PM
    1) one would expect that given the delayed release of the new OS.

2) wrong...just look at the automotive OTA for firmware release . Then there is M2M firmware pushes as well...not here yet but coming

3) wrong again.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:18 PM
    I'm sure BB won't tranistion all of the legacy OS7 users to Bb10 till the MDM is generating income. What is the time frame that author is talking about? 1yr,2yr,5yrs? There is 14 mill IS7 users in Indonesia alone. How fast do you think we can convert a whole country to BB10?

Bb just released(releasing) a new OS7 device so I think there will still be BIS income coming in
    07-24-13 01:21 PM
    Random thought about the future of smartphones: in a few years, will handset RAM, CPU, storage, and battery specs be so good that there is no need to buy new phones every 1 to 2 years? If so, will companies like BlackBerry simply release new versions of their operating systems for, say, $100 every few years? Will phones become like PCs, where few people have a need to upgrade their computers as often as years ago?

Some people will always want a new handset just for the sake of something new (much like some car owners), but I could see people holding on to the same handset for 3 to 5 years, as long as it was durable. In that case, BlackBerry could say, ok we're at BB10.5 right now, we're not going to upgrade it any longer, so the next OS will be BB11, and the upgrade will not come for free. You can stay where you are, or you can upgrade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Droids, users might get minor version upgrades, depending on the manufacturer of their handsets and their carriers, but they won't get an entirely new flavor on their same handsets.

We've talked about BlackBerry ceasing to make handsets. This scenario would go further - the company would no longer need to have a physical phone sold to sell its software. Who knows, it could even move to a subscription fee for its operating system, rather then a one-time fee.
    Shanerredflag, cgk and cjcampbell like this.
    07-24-13 01:23 PM
    Random thought about the future of smartphones: in a few years, will handset RAM, CPU, storage, and battery specs be so good that there is no need to buy new phones every 1 to 2 years? If so, will companies like BlackBerry simply release new versions of their operating systems for, say, $100 every few years? Will phones become like PCs, where few people have a need to upgrade their computers as often as years ago?

Some people will always want a new handset just for the sake of something new (much like some car owners), but I could see people holding on to the same handset for 3 to 5 years, as long as it was durable. In that case, BlackBerry could say, ok we're at BB10.5 right now, we're not going to upgrade it any longer, so the next OS will be BB11, and the upgrade will not come for free. You can stay where you are, or you can upgrade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Droids, users might get minor version upgrades, depending on the manufacturer of their handsets and their carriers, but they won't get an entirely new flavor on their same handsets.

We've talked about BlackBerry ceasing to make handsets. This scenario would go further - the company would no longer need to have a physical phone sold to sell its software. Who knows, it could even move to a subscription fee for its operating system, rather then a one-time fee.
    Interesting....makes sense but that would ruin some people's dooms day parade lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:27 PM
113,256 ... 15891590159115921593 ...