View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Whoa whoa whoa...

Lets deal with reality here, the last time the Leafs won the cup there were only about 3 billion people on the planet.
    Hi Morlock! I was reminded of my signature by another member and I just wondered how your fixed for a shirt my man?!
    07-23-13 11:43 PM
    What are the chances that an analyst actually asks about BBRY?
    I guess BBRY will certainly be a part of it since it's around 28% of their portfolio.
    07-23-13 11:45 PM
    Yes!!! BlackBerry needs to move to desktop support.

BBM Is likely just a cross platform ad for BlackBerry for a couple of years. I figure that if you buy a BlackBerry phone then BBM should be free and clear of ads, and if you are on another platform then you either pay a couple of bucks, or you get ads.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!

Hi Bugmapper,

I believe the ads are already in place for bbm in the form of channels. If bbm goes cross platform, and establishes a large user base, would you as a company be interested in being on the recommended channels page to market your brand?

Not to mention if they can milk brand/account verification as well for companies and celebs.
    Last edited by spike12; 07-24-13 at 12:07 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-23-13 11:46 PM
    It's funny, sometimes I think of how my life would be if I had invested at 6 and sold at 18 last year during school... Man o man, I'd be set for the next 5 years or so and be able to do so much more... sigh, freedom.
    Kid, you might as well think about how your life would be if you were to sprout wings and fly. For your scenario to come true you would've had to do a series of pretty incredible things. First, you would have had to have the prescience to pick the exact bottom of this stock and go all in. You then would've had to follow it up with some fantastic timing � getting completely out of a stock that has tripled your portfolio in less than six months. Finally, you would've had to walk away from the market completely satisfied with your gains. It's much more likely that you would have said to yourself, "I must be a genius investor. The next Prem. I'm ready to parlay this into some real money."

What you should be thankful for is a relatively inexpensive lesson about the stock market.

Dictated to my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    07-24-13 12:51 AM
    Let's see:

)

What are Q2 sales expectation again? Was the projection the same as Q1? Is it possible that we may actually beat it despite Thorsten's projection?
    !
    Since Heins was predicting the Z10 to outsell the q5 and q10 3:1, we better hope Heins is wrong - I don't know about the Q10 but the Q5 has been priced wrong and I think there is a good chance that it will lead to a miss.
    07-24-13 03:38 AM
    Since Heins was predicting the Z10 to outsell the q5 and q10 3:1, we better hope Heins is wrong - I don't know about the Q10 but the Q5 has been priced wrong and I think there is a good chance that it will lead to a miss.
    I agree. There is no way the Q5 is going to make serious progress in countries like India at the price they are asking. Maybe if the device was outstanding but I have already read too many poor reviews on the Q5.

I see the A10 as the next possible boost for Blackberry, the problem I do see is that most current Blackberry diehards will be the main customers for the A10. This means they will be dumping their Z and Q units for A units.

Blackberry's main problem is getting "new" users to bite and unless they come up with something really good to attract them, the A10 will not be enough.
    Robert Halloran likes this.
    07-24-13 04:59 AM
    Within the UK and Europe the reviews of the Q5 were pretty good but.. they all commented that there were simply better phones for the same amount of money - at sub-220 euros they could have had a winner but not at the current pricing...
    Bugmapper likes this.
    07-24-13 05:12 AM
    In university I was taught to either go for high price and lower sales expectations or lower price and higher sales expectations.

Sort of supply and demand. Right now there is not great demand so prices should be lower to get the devices in more hands and create a demand. Then prices of FUTURE devices can be higher once the demand is established.

Is economics 101. Why does BlackBerry not get this. I have feeling that they want to make BB10 devices seem like premium devices and as such price them as premium devices...... but that's not the right philosophy right now.

Posted via CB10
    m0de25 likes this.
    07-24-13 06:05 AM
    Within the UK and Europe the reviews of the Q5 were pretty good but.. they all commented that there were simply better phones for the same amount of money - at sub-220 euros they could have had a winner but not at the current pricing...
    How do you feel the A10 will sell in the UK and Europe?
    07-24-13 06:07 AM
    In university I was taught to either go for high price and lower sales expectations or lower price and higher sales expectations.

Sort of supply and demand. Right now there is not great demand so prices should be lower to get the devices in more hands and create a demand. Then prices of FUTURE devices can be higher once the demand is established.

Is economics 101. Why does BlackBerry not get this. I have feeling that they want to make BB10 devices seem like premium devices and as such price them as premium devices...... but that's not the right philosophy right now.

Posted via CB10
    Getting "the demand is established" is Blackberry's biggest problem. There just seems to be a lack of any interest.
    07-24-13 06:08 AM
    How do you feel the A10 will sell in the UK and Europe?

On another thread, someone commented that the way to think about it is the same sort of relationship between the SG4 and the Note - so if that is the case, given Z10 sales, I would think the answer is going to be "badly" - especially because it might well be that the pent-up demand from BBRY fans has been 'used up' on the Z10.

I just don't see what the secret sauce is.

Getting "the demand is established" is Blackberry's biggest problem. There just seems to be a lack of any interest.
    Marketing and advertising has been called out but I think the timing of having to compete against MS/Nokia for the third spot with both customers and carriers has had an impact - or to put it another way - there might be a demand for a third player but if two challengers appear at the same time, they split the potential market between them allowing neither to dominate.
    Robert Halloran likes this.
    07-24-13 06:17 AM
    By any metrics, selling nearly 1 million new phones per month is far from "lack of any interest".

Regarding the A10, I am hoping that it will be called Z11 or something like that to indicate an evolution of the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    07-24-13 06:27 AM
    By any metrics, selling nearly 1 million new phones per month is far from "lack of any interest".

Regarding the A10, I am hoping that it will be called Z11 or something like that to indicate an evolution of the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    I can not agree and think they need to separate it from the Z10 which is now FREE due to it's sales!
    07-24-13 06:31 AM
    I can not agree and think they need to separate it from the Z10 which is now FREE due to it's sales!
    I haven't heard that the Z10 is now free, but if it is that is even better. The Z11/A10 replaces the Z10, similar to the iPhone5 filling in as the iPhone4 turned free.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-24-13 06:40 AM
    Hi Bugmapper,

I believe the ads are already in place for bbm in the form of channels. If bbm goes cross platform, and establishes a large user base, would you as a company be interested in being on the recommended channels page to market your brand?

Not to mention if they can milk brand/account verification as well for companies and celebs.
    Yes, I see channels as "hard" advertising and other stuff as "soft" advertising ... such as pop ups etc. I think there will be plenty of interest in the channels and it can be very lucrative... I just want them to limit the other annoying junk ads if I've made the investment in their hardware and bought a phone or tablet or whatever. If i'm on android I don't get the same courtesy. That way there is some loyalty/respect between bb customers and the company. Actual customers get a premium experience.
    spike12 likes this.
    07-24-13 06:59 AM

Posted via CB10

Just as an FYI... the Z10 is $649 and the Q10 is $699 to government employees in Canada. I suspect many other organizations will also be paying that price. (Although they are not yet ready to distribute - the prices are posted)
    07-24-13 07:07 AM
    Just as an FYI... the Z10 is $649 and the Q10 is $699 to government employees in Canada. I suspect many other organizations will also be paying that price. (Although they are not yet ready to distribute - the prices are posted)
    That is list price for outright purchase for anyone in Canada at present. Too bad they wouldn't offer Government employees a discount.
    CDM76, cjcampbell and sidhuk like this.
    07-24-13 07:20 AM
    Hopefully QNX is a piece of this?

Technology for cars to talk to each other urged

Associated Press

July-23-13 5:46 PM GMT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal accident investigators are recommending the government set performance standards for new safety technology that allows cars and trucks to talk to each other and then require the technology be installed in all new vehicles.

The National Transportation Safety Board made the recommendation Tuesday in response to fatal school bus accidents at intersections in New Jersey and Florida last year.

Vehicles equipped with the technology can continuously communicate over wireless networks, exchanging information on location, direction and speed 10 times a second. A computer analyzes the information and issues danger warnings to drivers, often before they can see the other vehicle.

NTSB officials said the technology holds great promise to reduce deaths and injuries caused by crashes at intersections.
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    07-24-13 07:22 AM
    Have you seen it as now approved for GOC employees? Last I checked it was "pending ".

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 07:31 AM
    I haven't heard that the Z10 is now free, but if it is that is even better. The Z11/A10 replaces the Z10, similar to the iPhone5 filling in as the iPhone4 turned free.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, poor Apple is doing so poorly they are giving their phones away, too!
    07-24-13 07:41 AM
    Yes, poor Apple is doing so poorly they are giving their phones away, too!
    Ok... lets not get confused with giving a product away for free and getting a product free with contract. I know you know the difference but man, you're not relaying it.
    07-24-13 07:48 AM
    Have you seen it as now approved for GOC employees? Last I checked it was "pending ".

Posted via CB10
    No... just pending as of 8 am today. But prices are listed. Just letting everyone remember that GoC does not pay fire sale prices.
    07-24-13 08:05 AM
    Ok... lets not get confused with giving a product away for free and getting a product free with contract. I know you know the difference but man, you're not relaying it.
    He pumps and bashes BBRY when it suits him. He loses all credibility now be it pro or con BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 08:05 AM
    That is list price for outright purchase for anyone in Canada at present. Too bad they wouldn't offer Government employees a discount.
    No no no... gov employees are not using their own money so they should pay full price. They get a free blackberry that they can use 24 hours a day so lets soak them for full retail price. - As are all other agencies. No discounts for brand new, top of the line, best in security equipment.
    07-24-13 08:10 AM
    its the PB pricing problem all over again. BBRY always overestimates the true market value of their devices. I am not sure why, bu they do. That always hinders a products launch and sales numbers, a viscous circle.
    m0de25 likes this.
    07-24-13 08:21 AM
113,250 ... 15871588158915901591 ...