View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    going back to what was being said before about Nokia's strategy and how it differs from BBRY - they really simply to be trying to build volume at the low-end:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/...he-big-screen/

Very cheap (within europe) for a 4G phone.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-23-13 04:12 AM
    Man, you guys really kicked up the discussion last night...great stuff. Just got caught up. I find it really problematic with android ports on BB10 and how they handle permissions. Unlike BB10 apps, you are forced to accept all permissions if you want to use the app, and cannot accept the specific access you would like to give the app. There's no reason for games to access your contacts.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 06:24 AM
    I saw a Lexus one earlier with the same sort of message. They really are making it more of a standard thing now as opposed to a luxury add on.
    Even entry level vehicles now have some smart phone services. It makes sense all around.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/technology/bluelink/
    cjcampbell, lcjr and CDM76 like this.
    07-23-13 08:45 AM
    looks like Blackberry is working from the ground up as a brand new company.
    My Blackberry Experience | My Randomness
    07-23-13 09:16 AM
    Good morning gang! Looks like somebody forgot to put the cork back in the SP yesterday and it's leaking red all over the place. We'll blame Bugmapper today. lol. I hope everyone has a productive day and let's get this baby back into the GREEN!
    07-23-13 09:39 AM
    Further proof that GSSTATCOUNTER is very deceiving. The recent report suggests that total Blackberry subs in Indonesia are 15 million. where Gsstatcounter shows only 5.28% of the total users in Indonesia are blackberry users. If i do the math 15mill/5.28%=2840909x100=284,090,900 total smart phone users in Indonesia? something doesnt add up here. because according to this news here the total smartphone users in Asia will be 347mill by year 2015. go figure that out. or 347million per year? either way i slice it, GSSTATCOUNTER is a bull.
    07-23-13 09:39 AM
    Good morning gang! Looks like somebody forgot to put the cork back in the SP yesterday and it's leaking red all over the place. We'll blame Bugmapper today. lol. I hope everyone has a productive day and let's get this baby back into the GREEN!
    AAhhhhh! Dangit I left early yesterday and forgot. Sorry
    07-23-13 09:48 AM
    Further proof that GSSTATCOUNTER is very deceiving. The recent report suggests that total Blackberry subs in Indonesia are 15 million. where Gsstatcounter shows only 5.28% of the total users in Indonesia are blackberry users. If i do the math 15mill/5.28%=2840909x100=284,090,900 total smart phone users in Indonesia? something doesnt add up here. because according to this news here the total smartphone users in Asia will be 347mill by year 2015. go figure that out/
    Although I wouldn't dispute that the site may be useless, I don't understand how any of that proves... anything.

You're dividing two numbers with questionable accuracy (one rounded off, the other probably fluctuating daily) and comparing to a prediction of a future value two years down the road. If you play a bit with the first two you can easily get numbers that come out in the vicinity of the last one.
    07-23-13 09:49 AM
    Further proof that GSSTATCOUNTER is very deceiving. The recent report suggests that total Blackberry subs in Indonesia are 15 million. where Gsstatcounter shows only 5.28% of the total users in Indonesia are blackberry users. If i do the math 15mill/5.28%=2840909x100=284,090,900 total smart phone users in Indonesia? something doesnt add up here. because according to this news here the total smartphone users in Asia will be 347mill by year 2015. go figure that out. or 347million per year? either way i slice it, GSSTATCOUNTER is a bull.
    Statcounter itself never claimed that it can be used to extrapolate its data into device sales. It was only Gadget Masters and certain posters (dusdal?) who were defending that connection. However now that certain corrections were made and Statcounter data is no longer as favorable to BBRY, those posters have stopped referring to it. We can all be thankful for that.
    Superfly_FR, tiziano27 and CDM76 like this.
    07-23-13 09:50 AM
    Does anybody know if there is a difference between access to websites via BIS units and BB10 units? (other than the obvious pain at the users end) What I mean is, if you use a BBOS device to look at a web site, does it show up as a device or does it appear as a server? And If I am a Canadian in Indonesia, does the data get routed all the way back to Canada, or do I show up as an Indonesian?

Sorry, not a very clear question, but hopefully you get the idea. BB10 is very clearly identified by websites because the access is more direct, but is BBOS somehow misidentified because it goes through BIS?
    07-23-13 09:52 AM
    Although I wouldn't dispute that the site may be useless, I don't understand how any of that proves... anything.

You're dividing two numbers with questionable accuracy (one rounded off, the other probably fluctuating daily) and comparing to a prediction of a future value two years down the road. If you play a bit with the first two you can easily get numbers that come out in the vicinity of the last one.
    would you please show me how? and what number do you come up at? because 15million is 5% and is current. never mind the future prediction number. Indonesia can not have close to 300millon smart phone users as of today. because their total population is close to 250million.
    07-23-13 09:54 AM
    Does anybody know if there is a difference between access to websites via BIS units and BB10 units? (other than the obvious pain at the users end) What I mean is, if you use a BBOS device to look at a web site, does it show up as a device or does it appear as a server? And If I am a Canadian in Indonesia, does the data get routed all the way back to Canada, or do I show up as an Indonesian?

Sorry, not a very clear question, but hopefully you get the idea. BB10 is very clearly identified by websites, but is BBOS?
    the point that i am trying to make is that the actual numbers of blackberry users are more than what Statcounter shows. and is it is very bad press news.
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-23-13 09:57 AM
    Statcounter itself never claimed that it can be used to extrapolate its data into device sales. It was only Gadget Masters and certain posters (dusdal?) who were defending that connection. However now that certain corrections were made and Statcounter data is no longer as favorable to BBRY, those posters have stopped referring to it. We can all be thankful for that.
    thanks and agree.
    LoL not sure what did i put in my tea this morning. gonna relax now.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-23-13 10:00 AM
    the point that i am trying to make is that the actual numbers of blackberry users are more than what Statcounter shows. and is it is very bad press news.
    Sorry.... yes I got your point exactly. And I agree that those numbers don't jibe.

I was trying to see if the solution to the inconsistent numbers was because of how BB devices access the web in different countries, and in different OS releases. And completely different than iOS and 'Droid.
    rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    07-23-13 10:02 AM
    going back to what was being said before about Nokia's strategy and how it differs from BBRY - they really simply to be trying to build volume at the low-end:

Nokia Lumia 625: hero of the big screen – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog
    It has been shown that there is a BIG market for non flagship devices (cheap). And right now the mobile market is about numbers and marketshare...if you build it and you have the numbers, then customers will continue to come. Nokia and MS know that they are behind and have to work harder to attract users. But once they have a platform, then they can profit from it. Right now they are in the building stage of their "plan".

It like opening a new restaurant... most don't see a profit for at least a year, for many it takes longer than that. Those that are short sighted tend to go out of business - which is the case with most new restaurants. But the smart ones have planned out what they are going to do and they know that they are going to have to spend money to make money. (not sit on 3 billion dollars while they are launching a new platform and hope it just catches on).

Not having low end devices, or having to sell their "premium" devices cheaply is going to hurt their bottom dollar - and shows that they didn't plan well. But I think with continued OS updates, that customers may begin to really like the BB10 platform and discounted devices.
    Korepab, cgk, m0de25 and 1 others like this.
    07-23-13 10:05 AM
    would you please show me how? and what number do you come up at? because 15million is 5% and is current. never mind the future prediction number. Indonesia can not have close to 300millon smart phone users as of today. because their total population is close to 250million.
    Actually, I misread where the 347M came from, and thought that was extrapolating smartphone users just in Indonesia. If you bump 15M up to 15.5, and drop the (no doubt very volatile) 5.28% down to 4.5%, you get 344M... that's how I could get in the vicinity.

Suffice to say we basically all agree those stats are useless for any purpose involving estimating sales.

(Stray calculation, at 242.3M people in Indonesia, the 15M represents 6.2% of the entire population (not just smartphone users), for whatever that's worth. Obviously BB's share of the user base is well over 6%.)
    Superfly_FR, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    07-23-13 10:09 AM

Sorry, not a very clear question, but hopefully you get the idea. BB10 is very clearly identified by websites because the access is more direct, but is BBOS somehow misidentified because it goes through BIS?
    Your request comes directly from the IP that your BB10 device is at, through the regular routing mechanism to the destination server. If you're on wifi it will be the local routable IP (whatever your router appears as from the outside) and if you're on cellular it will be some address registered to your carrier.

The browser would appear (with 10.1) as "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.75 Safari/537.1" if you had Desktop Mode enabled in the browser settings (i.e. no sign that it's a BB device) and as "Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1720 Mobile Safari/537.10+" if you did not (emphasis added).

No idea how BIS looked for this stuff.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    07-23-13 10:14 AM
    Your request comes directly from the IP that your BB10 device is at, through the regular routing mechanism to the destination server. If you're on wifi it will be the local routable IP (whatever your router appears as from the outside) and if you're on cellular it will be some address registered to your carrier.

The browser would appear (with 10.1) as "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.75 Safari/537.1" if you had Desktop Mode enabled in the browser settings (i.e. no sign that it's a BB device) and as "Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1720 Mobile Safari/537.10+" if you did not (emphasis added).

No idea how BIS looked for this stuff.
    There are number of artificial page click increasing softwares out there. These softwares do have the options of mimicking different browsers. Pretty handy to fool the results for few quaters.
    07-23-13 10:32 AM
    I'm filing this under the 'every little bit helps' category. In a photo spread titled "40 years of cellphones, from car phone to iPhone," BlackBerry gets final mention with a picture of the Z10 and this quote:

"2013: BlackBerry Z10

10 years after launching one of its most popular phones ever, BlackBerry in March released its new flagship phone, hoping to bring the phone maker back into the cellular limelight."

40 years of cellphones, from car phone to iPhone - Slide Show - MarketWatch
    cjcampbell, leafs123, lcjr and 9 others like this.
    07-23-13 11:31 AM
    07-23-13 12:15 PM
    07-23-13 12:28 PM
    Not particularly proffesional in the way its written, but certianly makes you think (Conspiracy theory or not).

The one thing in the Article that caught my eye, because I have been saying this since I got my Z10 is this

All this negative bull**** about this absolutely amazing piece of technology (and if you haven’t used it, just STFU because you don’t know what you’re talking about) has baffled me until now. Now I’m filing it under “Things that make you go ‘hmmmm.’”
    I compare phones to cars alot (because it has its factions of fanboys and an entire media business to review them). I read a lot of car reviews, and I drive a lot of cars (I rent a lot when I travel). I can see and understand so many of the opinions ....they sort of make sense, they by all accounts take into account pro's and cons. With that said, I have seen some negative bias towards GM for about the first year after bankruptcy but nothing to what I see for BB....... with the new BB10 devices, I honestly don't understand the negativity.....at all. I have test driven Droid and iOS plenty, nothing about those OS is better than BB10....nothing (not including the app gap). Even if you don't agree with me its the best, it is at a minimum equal to and better in some key metrics (Flow, Hub, Peek, Keyboard ....etc). Sure there are some areas it could improve, but what product can't???

The HATRED is mind boggling, it's as if the world is against this company......I really don't get it. It seems everyone reviewing the device just piles on it. Here in Canada and especially in BB's backyard, there are lots of folks with them. I have yet to meet one that doesn't absolutely 110% LOVE their Z's and Q's. Yet in the media world, its almost as if they want folks to think BB eats babies and kicks puppies or something......
    07-23-13 12:34 PM
    It's a very interesting article. The hate for BlackBerry is something that defies logic and points to the obvious that BlackBerry is under attack. CB is a good example.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk and CDM76 like this.
    07-23-13 12:36 PM
    so after my tirade about negative reviews for BB, I read this .......LOL
    07-23-13 12:41 PM
    If anyone wants to see what an organized short squeeze looks like, take a look at Herbalife (HLF) and a 3 month chart, esp the last month. Icahn v Ackman and one of them is winning. I posted about it back then, but clearly Ackman is in big trouble on this trade. He has enough $$ to ride it out, but where is his point of maximum pain????,

Ah, now only if BBRY would do the same.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=H...rce=undefined;
    07-23-13 12:44 PM
113,256 ... 15801581158215831584 ...