Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    More beer....worked for me. haha

Posted via CB10
    I had one and realized I should probably wait another day. Saturday was a long day and even longer night. I'm really getting too old for that amount of consumption. lol
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-22-13 09:10 PM
    Still not understanding why an app needs access to my picture files like it says it does. Or are you saying the apps need access to the picture folder for downloads and such?

Edit: never mind, I get it now.
    CJ gave a few examples of where you may wish to up/download pics from your picture folder... But, yes, there's a bit of online talk about other apps - like a flashlight app asking for access - *that* would raise a bell in my head and I've often sorted through these types of apps until I landed on one that didn't "pry". You'll need to just ask yourself how much sense does it make, case by case, and go from there.
    07-22-13 09:11 PM
    It needs access to files so that you can download off the web, save pictures, upload files... etc. It's all good man
    It may all be good but you are giving the app permission to send BBM messages, access your contacts, and send email. I dislike the general permissions boxes. A game doesn't need access to my contacts.
    bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    07-22-13 09:12 PM
    CJ gave a few examples of where you may wish to up/download pics from your picture folder... But, yes, there's a bit of online talk about other apps - like a flashlight or clock app asking for access - *these* would raise a bell in my head and I've often sorted through these types of apps until I landed on one that didn't "pry". You'll need to just ask yourself how much sense does it make, case by case, and go from there.
    yes... I agree whole heartedly. I was using this specific app, a browser, as the basis for my reasoning. There are many apps that ask for more than they need and, as you stated, one needs to assess for themselves if they find it reasonable or not.
    m0de25, lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-22-13 09:14 PM
    It may all be good but you are giving the app permission to send BBM messages, access your contacts, and send email. I dislike the general permissions boxes. A game doesn't need access to my contacts.
    Read my comment just above this one.
    07-22-13 09:14 PM
    I had one and realized I should probably wait another day. Saturday was a long day and even longer night. I'm really getting too old for that amount of consumption. lol
    Ok you're speaking in unknown tongue language right now and I can't understand you (gulp burp). I thought you said something like a beer didn't sit right with you or something. Be right back, need another beer.
    07-22-13 09:17 PM
    +1
    Besides, most of those geniuses are still referring to BlackBerry as RIM. Shows you true diligence....

Typical attention getter headlines that almost never have any solid or reliable content within the article.
    lcjr, Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    07-22-13 09:18 PM
    Ok you're speaking in unknown tongue language right now and I can't understand you (gulp burp). I thought you said something like a beer didn't sit right with you or something. Be right back, need another beer.
    Lol....rookies haha

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-22-13 09:23 PM
    Ha... I didn't say it didn't sit right, I just realized that it would be best to have more than one day off drinking, especially when that one day was nothing but naps and couch time. lol Heck, I didn't even wake up until 2:30 on Sunday afternoon. I can't remember the last time I slept that late, and that was followed by 2 naps before bedtime around midnight. It's a bit of a stretch to call that a day of sobriety.
    lcjr, Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    07-22-13 09:24 PM
    What exactly does "Samsung set to steal" or "FBI looks to Dump" mean?
    Personally I find their choice of words funny/telling: Samsung "is set to steal" just about everything they can get away with (competitor execs and ideas, squares with round corners (!), etc) And as far as "FBI looking to dump" _sters for things like clues, yes... I suppose they do that often, as well.
    Last edited by m0de25; 07-22-13 at 09:42 PM.
    cjcampbell, lcjr, rim4ever and 1 others like this.
    07-22-13 09:26 PM
    Good question. In theory, yes: You write an HTML 5 application once and it runs everywhere. That's if it is written against HTML 5 standards. Also, Javascript is often used in HTML 5-powered applications, so the phone rendering the HTML 5 code needs to honor not only the HTML 5 standards but also Javascript standards in order for it to work the same way across devices and platforms .
    Thank you for the very well reasoned reply. I have zero background in this and truly appreciate the help.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and YangFui like this.
    07-22-13 09:27 PM
    Here's another question I have regarding BB phones. If I get an A10 here in the US and move back overseas to Germany or Belgium, would my unlocked phone work there the same as here or are the devices sold there differ from those here?
    07-22-13 09:36 PM
    Here's another question I have regarding BB phones. If I get an A10 here in the US and move back overseas to Germany or Belgium, would my unlocked phone work there the same as here or are the devices sold there differ from those here?
    It will work better as you would instantly have all the updated OS's that for some reason take 6-12 months to clear US carriers.

Wish it was a joke.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell, m0de25, CDM76 and 4 others like this.
    07-22-13 09:39 PM
    And a screen saver from my Z:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000385.jpg

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell, lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-22-13 09:42 PM
    Or if I'm on FB and want to upload a pic. It will need access to my files, or if I'm applying for a job and need to upload my resume, or I want to download a music file or document. There are lots of reasons and scenarios where this would be needed.
    CJ, you're one of my favorites here yet I humbly would like to correct something you wrote:
    "...if I'm on FB and want to upload a pic. It will need access to my files..."

If by "it will need access to my files" you mean Facebook (FB) then I would like to clarify: When you upload a photo, for instance, to FB--FB does not need to have direct access to files on your computer (nor would anyone in their right mind want it to). Facebook doesn't "pull" the image data from your computer; instead, the image data is "pushed" to Facebook in an http request stream that is initiated and mediated by the web browser being used at the time. Only the web browser can access files on the host system--FB itself runs in a security sandbox and no script or other HTML process can interrogate the host system (security holes aside).

Things are very different when you get into browser plug-ins (like Flash)--and installed toolbars, ActiveX controls, etc. But no standard HTML/CSS/or Javascript code can access files on the host system for either read or write access outside of browser-specific support files, such as cookies, history lists, cache files, favorites lists, etc.
    Last edited by YangFui; 07-22-13 at 10:01 PM.
    07-22-13 09:45 PM
    What if he already did? Is it possible that he sold off at $14 or $15 without it being public knowledge?
    He would have had to report it, he's on the board and its really not his style. I seriously doubt he has sold any BBRY shares.
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    07-22-13 09:48 PM
    CJ, you're one of my favorites here yet I humbly would like to correct something you wrote:
    "...if I'm on FB and want to upload a pic. It will need access to my files..."

If by "it will need access to my files" you mean Facebook (FB) then I would like to clarify: When you upload a photo, for instance, to FB--FB does not need to have direct access to files on your computer (nor would anyone in their right mind want it to). Facebook doesn't "pull" the image data from your computer; instead, the image data is "pushed" to Facebook in an http response stream that is initiated and mediated by the web browser being used at the time. Only the web browser can access files on the host system--FB itself runs in a security sandbox and no script or other HTML process can interrogate the host system (security holes aside).

Things are very different when you get into browser plug-ins (like Flash)--and installed toolbars, ActiveX controls, etc. But no standard HTML/CSS/or Javascript code can access files on the host system for either read or write access outside of browser-specific support files, such as cookies, history lists, cache files, favorites lists, etc.
    Yes sir, that is what I meant. By "it" I did indeed mean the browser, not FB directly. I didn't know how it all worked on a technical level but I do now so thanks
    Compaqee and YangFui like this.
    07-22-13 09:49 PM
    Sell Dec $8 puts for $1. Buy Dec $10 calls for $1.

?????

Hrmm ....

If not, might go naked some December $5 puts. When I say small ammount. I mean SMALLLLLL.

Now you know why I want to see BBRY drop to $7! It would make selling puts almost risk free.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-22-13 09:51 PM
    Yes sir, that is what I meant. By "it" I did indeed mean the browser, not FB directly. I didn't know how it all worked on a technical level but I do now so thanks
    Ah--my apologies for misunderstanding. I figured it was worth clarifying just in case someone else also misunderstood your post.

I think I speak for everyone in having the joyful knowledge that Facebook--in particular--cannot directly access files on my computer.
    07-22-13 09:59 PM
    Sell Dec $8 puts for $1. Buy Dec $10 calls for $1.

?????

Hrmm ....

If not, might go naked some December $5 puts. When I say small ammount. I mean SMALLLLLL.

Now you know why I want to see BBRY drop to $7! It would make selling puts almost risk free.
    Alas...I see risk though.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 10:00 PM
    It will work better as you would instantly have all the updated OS's that for some reason take 6-12 months to clear US carriers.

Wish it was a joke.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, just unsure if the specs were somehow different because of the frequencies and things. Don't want to go over there and put in another carrier card only to find I have a brick.
    07-22-13 10:02 PM
    Oh, and I corrected something I wrote: A file is uploaded using an http request stream, not an http response stream...
    lcjr likes this.
    07-22-13 10:03 PM
  23. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Shadowy banger (Mike E).... I understand the argument from pre 5 HTML but...is an app developed within 5 guidelines not a good thing?

Only asking as I feel if done properly with standardized protocols why would I not save costs to reach the widest audience?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, HTML 5 (which, by the way, is still a draft spec) is by comparison to native apps far inferior at this time. More functionality is 'coming soon'.

As a trivial example, I notice you are posting from the CB10 *app*. This is not an HTML 5 app, it is a native Cascades app with the commensurate performance and usability benefits. Accessing this forum via HTML through the browser is about as trivial an example as available. This forum is adequate in the browser, but I read frequent complaints about people continuing to use the app in spite of deficiencies (eg no ignore functionality) that could be easily avoided in the reportedly "best in class" browser. I am using a browser now even though I have no philosophical difficulties with Tapatalk or the Tapatalk lite version offered for free as the CB app version for idevices.

HTML is good enough for this simple use case in even my critical opinion, but you and many others still have migrated to a native app, despite deficiencies like no ignore functions the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" brigade miss so dearly.

Anything more complex than a web forum is far more pleasant, functional and efficient with an app. I can hose you with obvious examples, but hopefully you realize the truth without that. Note that HTML 5 can be used to develop standalone apps, but there is relatively little advantage to using this draft spec language in this way as opposed to through the browser at this time.

Perhaps in some great bright future there will truly be a "write once, use anywhere" protocol. Maybe it will even be a variant of HTML 5. What I do know as of summer 2013 is that native apps are necessary for fluid, non-trivial apps. I learned programming over a decade ago developing client side Java applets (only the programmers will wince there). This was the great future and I bought in big time. Oh well. Still handy server side. Right now, and I will say for the next 24 months at least, native (not HTML 5 in the browser or wrapped as an app) apps are critical a platform's success. BB10 can try to increase their penetration in this sphere or fail as a handset manufacturer.

As an aside, I also notice you have a "Mike E" from Calgary in brackets after my screen name.

Here is a picture of City hall in Lotusland (less than a 10 minute stroll from my house). Ask any Calgarian if that matches theirs. Missed it by 970 km. Right country, wrong province.

View image: image
    danprown and notfanboy like this.
    07-22-13 10:06 PM
    And a screen saver from my Z:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000385.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	185221

Posted via CB10
    Seems we're in the same mindset lol...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000309.png

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, DatMisterB and bungaboy like this.
    07-22-13 10:06 PM
    Thanks, just unsure if the specs were somehow different because of the frequencies and things. Don't want to go over there and put in another carrier card only to find I have a brick.
    I see what your after...there is a thread with all the specs...I will go find and post back here for you
    One Moment please. Haha

Posted via CB10
    lcjr likes this.
    07-22-13 10:08 PM
113,251 ... 15781579158015811582 ...