View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Notanormalboy you sure spend a lot of time trying to convince people to sell and bash BlackBerry. I know a few traders that covered and looking to buy a bunch of BBRY shares if shorts are willing to short BBRY to $8.50. With $6 in cash alone go ahead and short BBRY. Question why are you here justaweirdboy? You think your posts will get anyone here to throw their shares away? No need to answer I don't care. It would be great if I had the ignore option. I don't use my pc much after I got my z10. Pc is just to slow.
    Hi. I am not going to report you as that is not my style. However I am hoping that the thread ambassadors attempt to dissuade you from unproductive personal attacks, as it is in nobody's interest to have this thread closed. Thank you.
    07-19-13 07:38 PM
    Thanks YangFui for the insight.

Whilst I am long on the stock, it does worry me and the question for me is... How low can I handle this SP. Should I just sell and take my loss (I have no funds to buy anymore) or should I stay strong... The fundamentals tell me to wait but it is tough for sure. Facing the reality of realizing the decision you made was a poor one is the toughest for any investor.
    07-19-13 07:47 PM

Whilst I am long on the stock, it does worry me and the question for me is... How low can I handle this SP. Should I just sell and take my loss (I have no funds to buy anymore) or should I stay strong... The fundamentals tell me to wait but it is tough for sure. Facing the reality of realizing the decision you made was a poor one is the toughest for any investor.
    if you don't mind me asking - what's your cost basis per share and how much total did you invest?
    07-19-13 07:50 PM
    A lot of people (maybe Charles too) in this forum are disguised with bbry management and the death grip of the shorts. Prior to June 28, there was an element of hope that this company could turn things around. No one was prepared to let their shares go for less than $xxxx, now I think there are a lot of individuals who would be happy just to receive back their invested capital.

Wall Street is there to make money at any cost and unfortunately us longs have on paper increased the bankrolls of certain short term traders. I'm just hoping management gives us a lifeline soon with a positive announcement of any kind.
    Errrr . . . . you forgot about the haters and trolls. Drive-by and resident.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-19-13 07:52 PM
    [QUOTE=Superfly_FR;8854194]Well... cheers !

Hey, Superfly -- How did your drumming go today? Is the moulis for the wrap?
    Bugmapper likes this.
    07-19-13 07:56 PM
    All good advice gentlemen...and that is aways welcome.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 07:57 PM
    if you don't mind me asking - what's your cost basis per share and how much total did you invest?
    14.73 and I have 2700 shares. Hurts to say that lol :/ But my risk is really low as I don't own a house and live at home with my parents. So if Hell occurs and it goes to 0, I'll **** the bed but still have a place to sleep.

Odd though, I mean last year the stock was 6 at its dead lowest, when BB had less cash, no phones coming out (presumed), and little direction it seemed. Now with revenues seemingly increasing, potential profits next next quarter, we are back to the single digits. I remember when they announced the Z10 was coming out, the stock shot up... Will it happen with the A10 (or atleast a small spike).
    jaffna_guy likes this.
    07-19-13 07:58 PM

Hello Kid Vibe,

You're quite welcome...

I'm running out for a dinner--but you said it as well as I could--tough decisions to make here, we all are in that situation.

If you hold and the stock goes up, you can experience the taste of victory; if you sell and the stock goes up or you hold and the stock goes down further and doesn't recover, you get to experience the agony of defeat.

I'm with you on the fundamentals. This company is real and has real products and real users and a history of success in this market niche. I understand that past successes don't predict future successes--but think how hard it would be to assess its chances had it not been for its previous preeminence...

So, my relatively short answer: It's too early to really know what the right thing to do is... I felt good about owning the stock at $14--I feel reasonably sure that it truly is undervalued by nearly every reasonable and academic measure given the information that's available to us. So I'd like to continue holding--not accumulating, but holding--until more data is available with which to make a decision either to sell all/some or continue holding. I do not plan to buy more shares unless the stock crosses $16.50 or so--I'll probably write more on that should that price point reappear.
    07-19-13 08:05 PM
    14.73 and I have 2700 shares. Hurts to say that lol :/ But my risk is really low as I don't own a house and live at home with my parents. So if Hell occurs and it goes to 0, I'll **** the bed but still have a place to sleep.

Odd though, I mean last year the stock was 6 at its dead lowest, when BB had less cash, no phones coming out (presumed), and little direction it seemed. Now with revenues seemingly increasing, potential profits next next quarter, we are back to the single digits. I remember when they announced the Z10 was coming out, the stock shot up... Will it happen with the A10 (or atleast a small spike).
    Thanks for sharing. I think a lot of are hoping that time will give bbry to work things out and then the SP will react accordingly.

I'm curious though if M+8 and other veteran investors are writing any covered calls?
    07-19-13 08:09 PM
    A little OT but this has got me thinking...the tablet market growth...could it perhaps not be the tablet people love as much as the portability? I know we have all the toys here at the house and of all of them the absolute best (including our Mac and PC) for cruising the Internet is this Z10....it blows the iPad away. We have a couple PlayBook's too....their wed surfing is...well...you know.

I was so much looking forward to BB10 on a Playbook...simply because of the great Web cruising mixed with the larger screen and some of the other key features of BB10 OS.

My question:

Is it the tablet only that people love or the expeirance?

If the expieriance....which no one has done better than Apple in that form factor then yes, IMO BlackBerry has a great chance in that market...just bring BB10.2 to an 8 inch screen.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 07-20-13 at 08:20 AM.
    07-19-13 08:09 PM
    Who's to say he's not worried? Let's face it, Prem Watsa gambled with BBRY and lost badly. I can't imagine that Prem would be anything but disgusted with the whole situation.

From the time that he doubled down on RIMM last year, BBRY has lost 47% of its value. And this -47% actually looks good when compared to Prem's holdings before he doubled down.
    How could Prem or a Fairfax investor possibly be happy with any of this?
    I can imagine that he might not be disgusted. Given how long his horizon is, and how he's repeatedly indicated this is absolutely a long-term transition for the company and a long-term investment for Fairfax, I can easily imagine that he's not very surprised by anything other than perhaps how volatile the stock has been in this very short term, and how silly it is that so many people are expecting faster results.

At the AGM, he nodded his head slightly in what I assume was agreement whenever Heins talked about the need for patience and how the analysts' collective optimism for the last ER was never warranted.

Also, not clear on what you're saying with the "doubled down" thing... he averaged down with a purchase somewhere down around $7, as far as I recall. That means the stock is up from that point, not down 47%. It's down 47% or so from his supposed average...
    jxnb and rarsen like this.
    07-19-13 08:10 PM
    Who's to say he's not worried? Let's face it, Prem Watsa gambled with BBRY and lost badly. I can't imagine that Prem would be anything but disgusted with the whole situation.
    There hasn't been any report that he sold any shares. If he hasn't sold, how can you say he lost badly?
    07-19-13 08:10 PM
    There hasn't been any report that he sold any shares. If he hasn't sold, how can you say he lost badly?
    You edited out my next paragraph where I answered that very question.
    07-19-13 08:13 PM

holy smokes! if i was you i would put in a sell order in at $14.74 right now and pray to God that it hits. if it does walk away and be glad that you are walking away with both balls intact. learn from the experience and never make the same mistake again.

the most important lesson here is to DIVERSIFY! find a good low cost S&P 500 Index Fund (or equivalent) and invest for the long term. forget the "get rich quick" mentality - it leads to ruin.

good luck.
    07-19-13 08:13 PM
    Found this while trying to dig up Prem's lowest buy price (which I didn't find, but it's definitely under $9.85 and very likely under $8). The article was from July 23 2012.

Prem Watsa Doubled Down on Research-In-Motion, Again - Forbes

Quoting the part that caught my attention:

Averaging down is one of the secrets in Mr. Watsa�s 35 years of investing. In his last shareholder letter, he wrote: �average down when buying and average up when selling! Illustrated with the case of International Coal, we averaged down from our initial cost of $4.58 per share to an average cost of $3.37 per share. We sold half our position at $7.26 per share (a 115% gain) and only five months later, there was a takeover offer for the whole company at double that price. In spite of not buying only at the low and not selling only at the high, we earned $341.2 million by selling at over three times our cost.�

We have had a lot of discussions of value traps lately. RIMM is considered a value trap as the company continues to lose market share and delay the release of its new products. But Prem Watsa is not an average investor. He is doubling down again.

Take that as a counter-point to the flurry of "advice" (and advice) here not to average down. It's not an inherently bad concept, just another technique that has its own risks and possible rewards.
    07-19-13 08:21 PM
    holy smokes! if i was you i would put in a sell order in at $14.74 right now and pray to God that it hits. if it does walk away and be glad that you are walking away with both balls intact. learn from the experience and never make the same mistake again.

the most important lesson here is to DIVERSIFY! find a good low cost S&P 500 Index Fund (or equivalent) and invest for the long term. forget the "get rich quick" mentality - it leads to ruin.

good luck.
    As the saying goes, "Pigs get slaughtered! ". Unfortunately I was caught gorging in the trough prior to ER. I now understand that index etf's are the way to go.
    07-19-13 08:21 PM
    Even Billionaires can be wrong. sometimes fatally.
    07-19-13 08:26 PM
    Here's my take on this Kid Vibe.

The stock has no memory. It doesn't care what you bought it at before, nor whether it's come up or down from that point.

You need to decide based on what you think the stock will do from now. If you look at the big picture, including considering other stocks, and you think BBRY is at this price the best investment you could possibly make out of those you've analyzed, then it's valid to leave your money sitting right where it is.

It's even valid (and I hope obviously so) to consider investing more... which translates to averaging down: your average price does have a memory, even if the stock itself does not.
    07-19-13 08:29 PM
    "The ultimate beauty of index funds is that they get you utterly out of the business of guessing what will happen next. They enable you to say seven magic words: "I don't know, and I don't care." Will value stocks do better than growth stocks? I don't know, and I don't care -- my index fund owns both. Will health care stocks be the best bet for the next 20 years? I don't know, and I don't care -- my index fund owns them. What's the next Microsoft? I don't know, and I don't care -- as soon as it's big enough to own, my index fund will have it, and I'll go along for the ride. With an index fund, you're on permanent auto-pilot: you will always get what the market is willing to give, no more and no less. By enabling me to say "I don't know, and I don't care," my index fund has liberated me from the feeling that I need to forecast what the market is about to do. That gives me more time and mental energy for the important things in life, like playing with my kids and working in my garden."

I don't know and I don't care - Aug. 29, 2001
    07-19-13 08:30 PM
    "The ultimate beauty of index funds is that they get you utterly out of the business of guessing what will happen next. They enable you to say seven magic words: "I don't know, and I don't care." Will value stocks do better than growth stocks? I don't know, and I don't care -- my index fund owns both. Will health care stocks be the best bet for the next 20 years? I don't know, and I don't care -- my index fund owns them. What's the next Microsoft? I don't know, and I don't care -- as soon as it's big enough to own, my index fund will have it, and I'll go along for the ride. With an index fund, you're on permanent auto-pilot: you will always get what the market is willing to give, no more and no less. By enabling me to say "I don't know, and I don't care," my index fund has liberated me from the feeling that I need to forecast what the market is about to do. That gives me more time and mental energy for the important things in life, like playing with my kids and working in my garden."

I don't know and I don't care - Aug. 29, 2001
    I like that....great analogy and strong advice for balancing ones assets.

Cheers

Cheers
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000379.jpg

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell and take99 like this.
    07-19-13 08:36 PM

good luck.
    Ha, thanks for the advice. Money is just paper to me, I'm not rich, yes I have saved up quite a bit and invested the majority but that was my choice. I analyzed the situation and did a best case and worst case scenario. I say give this stock some time, no rush, especially not for me. Just graduated and now am looking to go into the real world. I would make up the loss within a year just saving bits and pieces from my new job (whatever that is lol).

You only live once. I have some family members who have gambled with stocks and have won BIG. Believe it or not, some of these stocks were much more risky than BB... They lost some too. We'll see what my future bolds. If we hit 28 by December (I called it that we would, now not sure lol). I'll gladly sell and fly back to Tokyo for another 2 months hah! Who is with me If we stay in the single digits, well, I'll be mowing the lawns here in Vancouver.
    07-19-13 08:43 PM
    Ha, thanks for the advice. Money is just paper to me, I'm not rich, yes I have saved up quite a bit and invested the majority but that was my choice. I analyzed the situation and did a best case and worst case scenario. I say give this stock some time, no rush, especially not for me. Just graduated and now am looking to go into the real world. I would make up the loss within a year just saving bits and pieces from my new job (whatever that is lol).

You only live once. I have some family members who have gambled with stocks and have won BIG. Believe it or not, some of these stocks were much more risky than BB... They lost some too. We'll see what my future bolds. If we hit 28 by December (I called it that we would, now not sure lol). I'll gladly sell and fly back to Tokyo for another 2 months hah! Who is with me If we stay in the single digits, well, I'll be mowing the lawns here in Vancouver.
    Winning Habit No. 1: Preservation of Capital is always Priority No. 1

The Master Investor – Believes his first priority is always preservation of capital, which is the cornerstone of his investment strategy.

The Losing Investor – Has only one investment aim – "to make a lot of money". As a result, often fails to keep it.

For Buffett, money once made is to be kept, never lost or spent. Capital preservation is the foundation of both his personality and his investment style. Once, when asked why he had this drive to make so much money, he replied: "It's not that I want money. It's the fun of making money and watching it grow." Buffett's attitude towards money is future-oriented. When he loses – or even spends – a dollar, he doesn't think of the dollar, but what the dollar could have become...Buffett gripes…"Do you know how much that is if you compound it over twenty years?" When you or I lose money, we count the dollars we actually lost. Not Buffett. His loss is what those dollars could have been. Losing money, to him, is a gross violation of his underlying aim, which is to "watch money grow." The Master Investor is focused on the long term…His focus is on the investment process, and the preservation of capital is the foundation of his process. It's built into his investment method; it underlies everything he does. When you're driving, your focus is on getting from point A to point B, not on staying alive. That objective, however underlies the way you drive…In the same way, the Master Investor doesn't need to think about preservation of capital. By focusing on his investment rules he automatically preserves his capital, just as I stay alive by focusing on keeping my distance while I'm driving. To the Master Investor, investing is not a sideline. It's his life – so if he makes a loss, he is losing part of his life. Here's why: If you lose 50 percent of your investment capital, you have to double your money just to get back to where you started…They know it's much easier to avoid losing money than it is to make it…As Buffett puts it, "It's much easier to stay out of trouble now than to get out of trouble later." Preservation of capital isn't just the first Winning Investment Habit. It's the foundation of all the other practices the Master Investor brings to the investment marketplace, the cornerstone of his entire investment strategy. - "Winning Habit No. 1" – The Winning Investment Habits of Warren Buffett & George Soros by Mark Tier
    07-19-13 09:02 PM
    Did people expect BB to reverse the user-bleed immediately after releasing BB10? If so, then that was probably unrealistic.
    These things take time, even for the most successful turn-round stories.
    For example, Mac OSX is (IMO) the best OS out there at the moment, but I didn't buy a Mac until 5 years after the first OSX release in 2005 (I started with MS-DOS, then UNIX, Linux, and Windows, I love trying out new things and was aware of the Pros of OSX).
    IMO BB10 is the best mobile OS at the moment (yes I use Androids and iOS as well). Give it sometime for people to catch on.
    We are in a "me now" generation of young adults. They are used to always being right (schools now have "no zero" policies even if kid doesn't ever hand an assignment or test in!!!) and getting whatever they want now... right freaking now. it's only going to get worse

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-19-13 09:03 PM
    I'm with ya Kid. Always wanted to explore Japan with my GF! Bucket List!

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 09:03 PM
    Not with my kids CDM!

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-19-13 09:05 PM
113,256 ... 15651566156715681569 ...