Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Interesting.
    http://www.thestreet.com/_nasdaq/sto...FREE&cm_ite=NA

The company added a number of hot, new, 4G/LTE handsets to its portfolio in the second-quarter, including Nokia's (NOK_) Lumia 928, the BlackBerry (BBRY_) Q10 and Samsung's Galaxy S4. Verizon believes that overall, the increases were boosted by the fact that its 4G/LTE wireless network is now available to more than 300 million Americans in 500 markets across the country.
    Do you 4G ?
    07-18-13 11:45 AM
    No, 4G not available where I live. And on 100 Mb data plan, what would I do with 4G anyway. It would be gone in 1 day.
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-18-13 11:53 AM
    Here is link to Verizon Q2 2013 Earnings Call Transcript if you are interested in wading through it.

VZ - Q2 2013 Earnings Call - Earnings Impact
    cjcampbell and Superfly_FR like this.
    07-18-13 12:00 PM
    I think, unfortunately, that BBRY is about to get touched up on the security front. I don't think the shares are halted, but the German papers are pointing out issues with BB10 and IMAP and POP3 email log in info....

BlackBerry 10 Allegedly Harvests Email Credentials Without Warning - N4BB
    read these links,
    the answer is in the comments. thanks
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-allege...tials-warning/

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/07/1...berry-servers/
    Last edited by sidhuk; 07-18-13 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added another link
    07-18-13 12:08 PM
    Can we make it back to green? I think we can That is, of course, unless there's another big sell off to drive us back down, or even further south.
    07-18-13 12:39 PM
    I didn't say I believed it, only that it was an issue. If you have money in BBRY you know the truth is no defense against the haters....
    07-18-13 01:33 PM
    Lots of water will pass under the bridge before they can develope hardware that I can wear on my belt that does Photoshop and AutoCAD.

I think the day will come but there is still lots of demand for tablets in the mean time. We are years away from replacing tablets, laptops and desktops with a personal computing device in your pocket.
    I strongly disagree. It's more an issue of someone bringing this to market. The cost benefits already exist.

Replace $2000 in hardware with $1000 in hardware when people already spent $600 on the phone anyway... It's not an irrational thought to think the a10 will be exactly this.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 01:34 PM
    Thanks JLagoon. Another member I'd like to hear from would be YangFui, he has considerable knowledge in the field of IT... I wonder if he still has his shares?
    Hello Kid Vibe,

Thanks for the mention. I hope that you along with everyone else here are doing well and hanging in there...

Yes, I still have my shares. I was travelling but was still following this thread. I didn't have anything useful to contribute and still feel that the dust from the QE is still settling.

I've admittedly been humbled by what's happened because I believed not only in the BlackBerry technology stack but also in its management. I don't want to rant about my specific feelings regarding BlackBerry management but I do feel that all of us were led astray in some respects and that the company has been overly smug in announcing products (and delivering late) and expecting the world to clamor for them. The Titanic was an amazing and capable ship but it was arrogance on several levels that ultimately turned it into one of humankind's most memorable man-made disasters.

BBRY has imperfect yet truly superb technologies and products--just like iOS and all the Android-powered ones. In light of this, the company just hasn't done a good enough job at marketing and educating. I'm not talking about the quality of the ads: I personally feel that the bold DYMO-tape-like branding, kiosks, images, print copy/ad messages, and packaging are world-class in quality. The issue to me is that, at least in the US, its BB10/Q10/Z10 message is lost in the higher-volume static of iPhone and Android, sort of like having Beethoven's Ninth being played at volume 1 while Justin Bieber and Paris Hilton blare at volume 11. Most consumers are already confused enough when faced with technology decisions and I have personally visited a dozen or so AT&T and T-Mobile stores that carry the Z10/Q10 products and have been horrified at the sales staff's utter lack of training and understanding when it comes to the BlackBerry lineup. (In some cases, a front-line sales rep wasn't aware of a new BlackBerry phone and didn't know that the store had any BlackBerry products in inventory.) I've overheard many conversations between sales reps and customers and the reps invariably says something like "your best bet is to go with iPhone or Android"; those who mention BlackBerry also mention its lagging number of apps, which has become almost mantra in the industry. While I was aware of this woeful retail-channel knowledge issue before the QE report, I felt that educated consumers do their research and know what they want and don't go to stores and certainly don't ask sales reps which product to buy. Instead, they order online or go directly to the register and buy BlackBerry. Apparently, even people aware of BlackBerry's latest OS and products are not so committed to the brand or are simply confused about their choices (probably boiling down to: Z10 with large touch screen and no keyboard/Q10 with keyboard, missing trackpad/trackball and tiny touch screen/A10 on the horizon) or are currently happy/locked-in-by-contract with their current phone...

I don't exactly know how you fix the retailer-training/knowledge issues because the sales reps are often not especially technical in or knowledgeable about even the competing products--they know just enough buzzwords to sound intelligent. If anything, they know what they own so they end up talking about the Android- or iOS-powered phones especially if they're part of the app-obsessed youth culture.

What irks me most is the continued post-ER outpour of negative news, negative blogs, and overall negative sentiment. I worry a bit about BlackBerry company morale especially amidst recent layoff announcements, but as many people have already observed, the past quarter was successful from many perspectives--it just disappointed. Anyone who works at BBRY probably knows the drill by now and is likely inured. Yet to outsiders BBRY is almost a laughingstock--at least among investment and technology cognoscenti--and the company needs now to fight that along with all the negativity. Fending off not skepticism but raw negativity (even when it appears on this thread) has gotten quite tiresome. There is a point beyond which all this will ruin BlackBerry completely. Like Galileo, you can be right but still suffer a sad and undeserved fate in the face of popular opinion and stupidity.

Having said all that, I hold my shares because I still think the company's stock has been unduly punished, that its products are intrinsically exceptional, that enough aficionados exist globally that the company probably will not go out of business any time soon, and that there's a huge amount of upside potential especially if there is any meaningful good news and if the company doesn't posture but actually fixes what's broken and does it quickly. There is a general slump in smartphone sales that is affecting all smartphone companies--this gives BBRY a bit of much-needed time-headroom within which to formulate a more-effective sales strategy. But time is not our luxury: market-timing, especially in this industry sector, arguably plays a more important role in technology-company successes than the technology itself.

If the consensus is that the company's turn-around is simply going to take time, then that's something I can believe in--long turnaround times have happened with many other companies. The problem is that holding onto BBRY carries a dear opportunity cost, at least in my case. If I don't see actual progress on the marketing and sales end of the business soon that translates to higher earnings numbers then I will shift some or all of my stake elsewhere. (I haven't yet defined "soon".)

I am sure BBRY understands that it is in a fight for its life; I can only hope that it too has been humbled and is motivated to fix what's broken. As much as I'm disappointed with TH, I've got to believe that, unless he's some sort of sociopath, his ego has suffered a huge blow and that he isn't one to go down without a really good fight.
    Last edited by YangFui; 07-18-13 at 02:56 PM.
    07-18-13 01:48 PM
    07-18-13 02:01 PM
    Nice summary yang

Posted via CB10
    Kid Vibe, bungaboy and YangFui like this.
    07-18-13 02:01 PM
    Can't really take this as evidence. These guys are huge BB fans and always quote that counter. It is inconsistent at best and really doesn't give a solid or realistic number. Considering that Samsung sold in 2 weeks more than double what BB did for the whole quarter, it's not really fathomable that BB has pulled ahead.
    Bugmapper, dusdal, cgk and 5 others like this.
    07-18-13 02:05 PM
    I strongly disagree. It's more an issue of someone bringing this to market. The cost benefits already exist.

Replace $2000 in hardware with $1000 in hardware when people already spent $600 on the phone anyway... It's not an irrational thought to think the a10 will be exactly this.
    I honestly don't believe this notion is feasible any time soon with consumer expectations. People expect their phones battery to last, at the very least, all day. No one has that requirement for laptops.

With current technology, you can't expect something with a battery small enough to comfortably fit into our pocket to be able to handle programs like ~CAD or Photoshop.
    07-18-13 02:08 PM
    There's the sell off.... god they're good.
    07-18-13 02:19 PM
    Hold on tight; this could be a triple bottom reversal. Volume on this drop is less than the previous two.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-18-3.26.54-pm.jpg
    07-18-13 02:35 PM
    Florida Department of Children and Families - Canada

more case studies at the bottom of the page
    07-18-13 02:39 PM
    There's the sell off.... god they're good.
    Whas screening the end of trading day ... yup they're evil good ... No biggie then, 1.6% ...
    Have a nice end of journey folks !

P.S: won't be there much for two days ... recording session ... but you can count me in to ...
    ! HIT THE COWBELL !
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    07-18-13 03:05 PM
    Thanks Yang.

IMO has Alicia Keys done anything? I could have named several artists to sponsor (prob half the price) that would have been a better choice for promotion...

Wonder if they still use Diplo?

07-18-13 03:06 PM
    Both MSFT and GOOG missed, wow.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-18-13 03:06 PM
  19. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Apple actually farmed out their watch today as they ran into some engineering hurdles they couldn't get past...will the other firm? who knows. That said, with the exception of a couple thousand beta units of Google Glass it's all vapor ware. THE NOC is the key to BlackBerry's future...they have to figure out how to monetise it because not one car manufacturer or medical device maker will trust iOS or android cloud service to push anything short of a pizza place phone number.

Posted via CB10
    Farmed out their watch? You are incorrect. They went on a hiring spree.

Apple hires fresh talent for ‘iWatch’ - FT.com
    " The company has begun hiring �aggressively� for the project in recent weeks, say people familiar with Apple�s plans for the wearable device, a move that shows it has stepped up development but which raises questions over the ability of its own engineers to develop wearable technology. As Apple moves from iPods, iPhones and iPads into an entirely new category of product, it is looking beyond its existing staff in Cupertino for the talent required to build it � an indication that the endeavour involves �hard engineering problems that they�ve not been able to solve�, according to one source. "

Making statements like you did above (calling a hiring spree by BBRY competitor Apple for iWatch engineers, "farming out") does no one interested in BBRY stock any favours. Far from being evidence of failure of the iWatch project, a hiring spree is evidence of their commitment to it. Will it pan out? Who knows, but Apple has the funds and apparently the determination to give it a real chance at success.

Regarding the NOC being Blackberries future except for the minor detail that, according to you, they haven't figured out how to monetize it ("they have to figure out how to monetise it"). Is this monetization 'coming soon'?

It is also interesting that you don't mention BB10 anywhere as "the key to Blackberry's future". Giving up on these handsets so soon? I thought I was bearish...

You should also spend some time in, for example, a hospital environment. I don't think the doctors on rounds with iPads are just pulling up pizza place numbers.
    07-18-13 03:19 PM
    Both MSFT and GOOG missed, wow.
    Yup
    4:08 PM Microsoft (MSFT): FQ4 EPS of $0.59 misses by $0.16. Revenue of $19.9B (+10% Y/Y) misses by $830M. Shares -4.2% AH. CC at 5:30PM ET (webcast). (PR) Read comments
    4:06 PM Google (GOOG): Q2 EPS of $9.56 misses by $1.22. Revenue (ex.-TAC) of $11.1B misses by $230M. Shares -4.5% AH. CC at 4:30PM ET (webcast). (PR) Read comments
    07-18-13 03:22 PM
    Regarding the NOC being Blackberries future except for the minor detail that, according to you, they haven't figured out how to monetize it ("they have to figure out how to monetise it"). Is this monetization 'coming soon'?
    We missed you ... kinda !
    You must be right, they have no idea ... (ironic)
    take99 likes this.
    07-18-13 03:24 PM
    We missed you ... kinda !
    You must be right, they have no idea ... (ironic)
    gah.... when you quote, it defeats the wonderful little grey box on my screen..... lol
    bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    07-18-13 03:29 PM
    I see Microsoft had to write off $900 million on Surface RT inventory - OUCH.
    07-18-13 03:29 PM
    Man, everyone's ER is getting whacked.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-18-13 03:34 PM
    Farmed out their watch? You are incorrect. They went on a hiring spree.

Apple hires fresh talent for �iWatch� - FT.com
    " The company has begun hiring �aggressively� for the project in recent weeks, say people familiar with Apple�s plans for the wearable device, a move that shows it has stepped up development but which raises questions over the ability of its own engineers to develop wearable technology. As Apple moves from iPods, iPhones and iPads into an entirely new category of product, it is looking beyond its existing staff in Cupertino for the talent required to build it � an indication that the endeavour involves �hard engineering problems that they�ve not been able to solve�, according to one source. "

Making statements like you did above (calling a hiring spree by BBRY competitor Apple for iWatch engineers, "farming out") does no one interested in BBRY stock any favours. Far from being evidence of failure of the iWatch project, a hiring spree is evidence of their commitment to it. Will it pan out? Who knows, but Apple has the funds and apparently the determination to give it a real chance at success.

It is also interesting that you don't mention BB10 anywhere as "the key to Blackberry's future". Giving up on these handsets so soon? I thought I was bearish...

You should also spend some time in, for example, a hospital environment. I don't think the doctors on rounds with iPads are just pulling up pizza place numbers.
    Dat a fact? Farmed in then...happy.

I don't support apple and don't buy their shares either....though I did make pretty decent dollars shorting them earlier this year.

Using an iPad as a paperless chart is one thing...it's far from M2M....yaa think?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and BlackistheBerry like this.
    07-18-13 03:38 PM
113,256 ... 15551556155715581559 ...