View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Thanks JLagoon. Another member I'd like to hear from would be YangFui, he has considerable knowledge in the field of IT... I wonder if he still has his shares?
    07-17-13 04:39 PM
    Here's some interesting reading..

DoD Building Secure 4G Network | The Gotham Blog

Along with General Dempsey's remarks, which includes " The next step is making our networks joint. Today, the Department operates 15,000 networks. We are consolidating this sprawling mass of IT into a common set of enterprise services, all based in the cloud. The new “Joint Information Environment” will deepen collaboration across the services and mission areas. It will also be significantly more secure, helping ensure the integrity of our battle systems in the face of disruption.
    As part of this new Joint Information Environment, we are building a secure 4G wireless network that will get iPads, iPhones, and Android devices online by mid-2014. In fact, I have a secure mobile phone with me here today.
    This phone would make both Batman and James Bond jealous.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/eve...%20remarks.pdf
    07-17-13 04:55 PM
    Here's some interesting reading..

DoD Building Secure 4G Network | The Gotham Blog

Along with General Dempsey's remarks, which includes " The next step is making our networks joint. Today, the Department operates 15,000 networks. We are consolidating this sprawling mass of IT into a common set of enterprise services, all based in the cloud. The new “Joint Information Environment” will deepen collaboration across the services and mission areas. It will also be significantly more secure, helping ensure the integrity of our battle systems in the face of disruption.
    As part of this new Joint Information Environment, we are building a secure 4G wireless network that will get iPads, iPhones, and Android devices online by mid-2014. In fact, I have a secure mobile phone with me here today.
    This phone would make both Batman and James Bond jealous.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/eve...%20remarks.pdf
    Too bad there's no mention of BlackBerry there. I guess that's because they are already on their networks. Also, it's a shame he didn't mention what phone he had that would make Batman and James Bond jealous.
    07-17-13 05:01 PM
    The DoD has currently over 600,000 commercial mobile devices in operational and pilot use, including 470,000 BlackBerrys, 41,000 Apple devices, and 8,700 Android devices.

Ok, so BB better keep that number up
    cjcampbell, Korepab, lcjr and 2 others like this.
    07-17-13 05:02 PM
    Too bad there's no mention of BlackBerry there. I guess that's because they are already on their networks. Also, it's a shame he didn't mention what phone he had that would make Batman and James Bond jealous.
    Yeah, other than they mentioned BB10 devices are amongst those that will be allowed to use this awesome network. I'm betting he is using a Blackberry Z10 with the new DoD enterprise system installed with all the military and civilian bells and whistles that are still in beta phase.
    07-17-13 05:05 PM
    Yeah, other than they mentioned BB10 devices are amongst those that will be allowed to use this awesome network. I'm betting he is using a Blackberry Z10 with the new DoD enterprise system installed with all the military and civilian bells and whistles that are still in beta phase.
    Ha... I'd like to think that too but it could be some military made android phone, or the S4. Who knows.
    lcjr and Bugmapper like this.
    07-17-13 05:11 PM
  7. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Remember Mr. Heins April 29 to Bloomberg?

"“In five years I don’t think there’ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore,” Heins said in an interview yesterday at the Milken Institute conference in Los Angeles. “Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model.”

Of course what he was really saying is that BBRY cannot compete in the tablet market, now or for the forseeable future. The tablet market is large and will likely eclipse the entire PC market in 5 years.

Gartner source:
    -Tablet growth for 2013 alone will be nearly 70%, with shipped devices growing to 197 million, from 116 million in 2012.
    -By 2017, tablet sales are expected to outpace PC sales, which shipped over 340 million units in 2012. tablet sales in 2017 are expected to be around 467 million units, according to Gartner. This represents an increase of approximately 350 million units from 2012's levels, or about 303%.

In addition to making Thorsten look... unimaginative, this poses a real problem for BBRY moving forward. Apple, Microsoft and Google all have their OS on both tablets and phones. If you are willing to include the Chrome OS, all 3 also have a PC OS as well.

Google and Apple are rumoured to be heading to wearables like smartwatches. iOS7 is reported to dramatically expand car connectivity, "beaming" data to a simplified iOS in the Dashboard. I won't dwell on vaporware here though. BBRY also has absolutely detail free claims to be many places beside the phone.

This will have a negative effect on BBRY share price in my opinion. Consumers want a device ecosystem and BBRY is far behind here.

The Next Phase of the Smartphone War Is About to Begin - AAPL, BBRY, GOOG

" As for how this turn of events affects other operating systems, it will be devastating over the long term. A company like BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) is already facing an uphill battle when it comes to convincing consumers to adopt its BB10 operating system.

BB10 lacks the robust app ecosystem of iOS or Android, and thus many consumers who otherwise might have adopted it are loathe to make the switch. The rise of device connectivity will make the gap between the dominant mobile operating systems and upstarts like BB10 even wider.

Going forward, not only will potential customers lose out on Candy Crush and Snapchat, but they'll also lack the freedom to buy a smartwatch or other connecting device. "

Three billion cash might sound like a lot, but compared to Microsoft, Apple and Google, a presently unprofitable BBRY has very little ability, financial or otherwise, to expand outward to other devices. Simply remaining in the phone hardware business at all is very much an open question according to many reputable analysts.

This may explain Mr. Heins banging away at the message in the earnings call and the AGM that they are more than a devices company. He can't very well say that there won't be a reason to have a phone in 5 years time. It is certainly not necessarily the end of Blackberry. Perhaps their software plays (x-platform BBM, BES 10, secure spaces in Android/iOS) will pan out. Problem is that hardware is where most of their money has come from. It will be a much diminished company if they are forced into software only.
    notfanboy likes this.
    07-17-13 05:49 PM
    Apple actually farmed out their watch today as they ran into some engineering hurdles they couldn't get past...will the other firm? who knows. That said, with the exception of a couple thousand beta units of Google Glass it's all vapor ware. THE NOC is the key to BlackBerry's future...they have to figure out how to monetise it because not one car manufacturer or medical device maker will trust iOS or android cloud service to push anything short of a pizza place phone number.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 06:09 PM
    Remember Mr. Heins April 29 to Bloomberg?

"�In five years I don�t think there�ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore,� Heins said in an interview yesterday at the Milken Institute conference in Los Angeles. �Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model.�

Of course what he was really saying is that BBRY cannot compete in the tablet market, now or for the forseeable future. The tablet market is large and will likely eclipse the entire PC market in 5 years.

Gartner source:
    -Tablet growth for 2013 alone will be nearly 70%, with shipped devices growing to 197 million, from 116 million in 2012.
    -By 2017, tablet sales are expected to outpace PC sales, which shipped over 340 million units in 2012. tablet sales in 2017 are expected to be around 467 million units, according to Gartner. This represents an increase of approximately 350 million units from 2012's levels, or about 303%.

In addition to making Thorsten look... unimaginative, this poses a real problem for BBRY moving forward. Apple, Microsoft and Google all have their OS on both tablets and phones. If you are willing to include the Chrome OS, all 3 also have a PC OS as well.

Google and Apple are rumoured to be heading to wearables like smartwatches. iOS7 is reported to dramatically expand car connectivity, "beaming" data to a simplified iOS in the Dashboard. I won't dwell on vaporware here though. BBRY also has absolutely detail free claims to be many places beside the phone.

This will have a negative effect on BBRY share price in my opinion. Consumers want a device ecosystem and BBRY is far behind here.

The Next Phase of the Smartphone War Is About to Begin - AAPL, BBRY, GOOG

" As for how this turn of events affects other operating systems, it will be devastating over the long term. A company like BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) is already facing an uphill battle when it comes to convincing consumers to adopt its BB10 operating system.

BB10 lacks the robust app ecosystem of iOS or Android, and thus many consumers who otherwise might have adopted it are loathe to make the switch. The rise of device connectivity will make the gap between the dominant mobile operating systems and upstarts like BB10 even wider.

Going forward, not only will potential customers lose out on Candy Crush and Snapchat, but they'll also lack the freedom to buy a smartwatch or other connecting device. "

Three billion cash might sound like a lot, but compared to Microsoft, Apple and Google, a presently unprofitable BBRY has very little ability, financial or otherwise, to expand outward to other devices. Simply remaining in the phone hardware business at all is very much an open question according to many reputable analysts.

This may explain Mr. Heins banging away at the message in the earnings call and the AGM that they are more than a devices company. He can't very well say that there won't be a reason to have a phone in 5 years time. It is certainly not necessarily the end of Blackberry. Perhaps their software plays (x-platform BBM, BES 10, secure spaces in Android/iOS) will pan out. Problem is that hardware is where most of their money has come from. It will be a much diminished company if they are forced into software only.
    You just refuse to listen what he says. But this has been explained for dozen times, so I wonder if we should go again.
    Short : it is not the tablet format nor usage that is targeted here. But it's internal "intelligence". BlackBerry vision is that these screens will not need embedded power anymore. They will become peripherals. "Mobile computing"...

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 06:57 PM
    You just refuse to listen what he says. But this has been explained for dozen times, so I wonder if we should go again.
    Short : it is not the tablet format nor usage that is targeted here. But it's internal "intelligence". BlackBerry vision is that these screens will not need embedded power anymore. They will become peripherals. "Mobile computing"...

Posted via CB10
    Lol...are you not supposed to be sleeping

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 07:12 PM
    Lol...are you not supposed to be sleeping

Posted via CB10
    Indeed... btw the main default of Q5 is clicking keyboard lol have to keep it quiet now. CU later ! and good nite too

Edit : Haha, 6 hours is my normal nite sharp and clear 2morrow (but very busy...)

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and bondary like this.
    07-17-13 07:16 PM
    Can you link me to where Heins said this? Every single thing I've read points to " Mobile computing" as BB providing the BES like administration of phones, cars, and other machines. I have yet to see a source where it is about dumb peripherals. I think that is more of a fantasy cooked up in fans' fertile imagination. Please correct me if I missed it.
    07-17-13 07:40 PM
    Can you link me to where Heins said this? Every single thing I've read points to " Mobile computing" as BB providing the BES like administration of phones, cars, and other machines. I have yet to see a source where it is about dumb peripherals. I think that is more of a fantasy cooked up in fans' fertile imagination. Please correct me if I missed it.
    When he says that all you'll need is the device on your hip, and it will have all the computing power that you need, carrying everything with you, then I'm guessing that it means we won't need a bunch of independent smart devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 07:51 PM
    Nokia ER tomorrow...will be interesting to see if WP8 is really doing better.
    If Lumia sales are much better than expected It could hurt BBRY. The guidance was a 25% increase to 7 million.
    07-17-13 08:18 PM
    If anyone wants to be an armchair advertiser, Gadway is soliciting feedback for commercials on his channel C000D23B4

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, CDM76 and Korepab like this.
    07-17-13 08:44 PM
    Also the 'Internet of Things' often refers to how everything is getting a Web server chip, rather than just PCs and phones.

I think (no source) the term caught hold when IPv6 had to become a reality due to all of the new numbers and types of devices accessing the Internet.

Meaning fridges, cars, medical equipment coming equipped with a Web server.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 08:48 PM
    Pretty good analysis here for the most part. I'll warn you ahead of time its fairly positive so some of you may not want to click from the shadows...

Seeking Alpha
    07-17-13 08:54 PM
    Hi...I just took the plunge and bought a VPN account so I could have multiple identities on the interweb forums. Man....I feel invincible!!
    07-17-13 11:33 PM
    If Lumia sales are much better than expected It could hurt BBRY. The guidance was a 25% increase to 7 million.
    Historically, Nokia and BBRY stock prices are correlated. Nokia stock goes up, BBRY goes up. (And vice versa.)

Investors have a tendency to view both as tied to the success of alternative OSes more so than the two companies as competitors. With their market shares, neither BBRY nor Nokia will put a material dent in each other.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-18-13 02:26 AM
    I won't link anything, because I'm too busy today.
    The latest source I can claim for that is from the 30 minutes face to face talk I had with Christophe Lefort, EMEA VP, prior the E.R. I was questioning about PlayBook (now I understand some sentences I heard and I couldn't decrypt then). This is what mobile computing means and I've written many times since; your mobile device is your "intelligence", any other device connected to it inherits of its power. And even a passive peripheral (bigger touch screen, for instance) will become an "instant on" BB10 full featured tool, whatever its brand or OS is.
    This is Machine to Machine (M2M).

P.S: and yes, while I have ZERO facts to backup this, I do believe PB will be able to handle this ... later.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-18-13 at 03:56 AM.
    jxnb and bungaboy like this.
    07-18-13 03:29 AM
    The PB is a write-off - nobody is going to be bring back a failure as part of their future - just forget about it.
    07-18-13 03:43 AM
    Historically, Nokia and BBRY stock prices are correlated. Nokia stock goes up, BBRY goes up. (And vice versa.)

Investors have a tendency to view both as tied to the success of alternative OSes more so than the two companies as competitors. With their market shares, neither BBRY nor Nokia will put a material dent in each other.
    Besides the "sentiment" or pride being #3 for a few K users/sales, BlackBerry and Nok/MS have the same #1 achievement goal.
    Break the duopoly and demonstrate there's no fatality on this market.
    Every market share crumb both grab to the giants is a step to recovery for them and future players.

As a side note, I also had a long "interview" lately vith a pre-sales director in France. I couldn't refrain to ask about partnerships with MS and BB cloud strategy. On the MS front, of course I asked (more than once). And the response was vague, eluding. But then I asked about Business Cloud Services (BCS) under Office365 and its evolution for BB10 users (currently not supported, as Active Sync is "enough" for now).
    I'll give you the answer : "It's written on the roadmap". Of course I've been asking "when" (at least 10 times with different techniques lol), then I'll give you the only answer I had : "BlackBerry has not communicated about this, so I'm not authorized to go further on this subject" (I could add a within the quote ...).
    Oh, yes, on my tenth attempt my question was "before the end of 2015 ?" and the stunned and laughing expression he had left no doubt about it'll be ... before. Far before.

P.S: to be clear Office365 is perfectly integrated with BES10 (Enterprises). My question was for SOHO and individuals (without BES).

Now make your bets ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-18-13 at 03:57 AM.
    07-18-13 03:45 AM
    The PB is a write-off - nobody is going to be bring back a failure as part of their future - just forget about it.
    It's basically nothing else than enhanced bridge. Even a third party editor could do ...
    But they won't spend time on it now, unless this is the "compensation" Thor vaguely discussed with Kevin ... [ask CBK, I don't know !]
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-18-13 03:47 AM
    It's basically nothing else than enhanced bridge. Even a third party editor could do ...
    But they won't spend time on it now, unless this is the "compensation" Thor vaguely discussed with Kevin ... [ask CBK, I don't know !]
    I'd be happy with an enhanced bridge. I'd be even happier to convert the Playbook in to just a screen, and let the Z10 be the brain.
    07-18-13 04:01 AM
    Anyone seen the thread about BBRY shares being suspended in Germany - anyone know what is going on/able to verify?
    07-18-13 04:14 AM
113,256 ... 15521553155415551556 ...