View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Wonder what would happen to BBRY SP if this happened to them?

Is suspect we won't even see a blip on AAPL SP

All three Russian leaders dump iPhone - Rethink Wireless

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    No doubt. To be fair though, APPL's shareprice has plummeted quite a bit over the last year. They are in trouble too.

I really think BB needs to get its *** into China and push there. Lenovo, where you at?

Japan would be nice, but just coming back from Tokyo... I have no idea how BB could manage... Even with Sony. Sony isn't as big as they used to be. iPhone dominates Tokyo and I'm sure rest of Japan and Samsung's promotion is unreal over there too, some of the best I've seen.
    07-16-13 07:32 PM
  2. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Why can't bbry do an advertising blitz? didn't they get a new advertising firm? What can they lose by doing this? Showing off their new products. I just don't understand.
    They could, and probably should give it a try. Problem of course is it may not work to increase sales much and will definitely burn their cash. Blackberry is damaged goods for many smartphone customers and whether ads will help much given their current phone lineup is an open question.

The following is from one of the many BBRY downgrades after the poor June 28 earnings call:
    Deutsche Bank Downgrades BlackBerry (BBRY) to Sell

" "If they choose to keep plowing money into marketing BB10 devices across the globe, it will create a heavy cash burn unless the uptake begins to quickly gain traction. Historically this has not happened with other handset companies and we do not expect this trend to change with Blackberry," said Modoff. "

If BBRY turns their 3 billion cash into 1.5 billion cash with a 5 month advertising blitz, is that in shareholder's best interest? Of course, those are purely speculative numbers, but feel free to treat them as gospel and jump on me anyway ;-)
    07-16-13 07:35 PM
    Madoff has been a bear (as have many others) for a long time. I do agree the continual bashing is hurting and am not really sure why as the devices are solid (imo). Tough to be a cheerful contrarian

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 07:46 PM
  4. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    No doubt. To be fair though, APPL's shareprice has plummeted quite a bit over the last year. They are in trouble too.

I really think BB needs to get its *** into China and push there. Lenovo, where you at?

Japan would be nice, but just coming back from Tokyo... I have no idea how BB could manage... Even with Sony. Sony isn't as big as they used to be. iPhone dominates Tokyo and I'm sure rest of Japan and Samsung's promotion is unreal over there too, some of the best I've seen.
    I'm pretty sure RIM pulled out of sales in Japan. Ah yes, here it is. Stopped sales in February, right after the Z10 was released.

BlackBerry to stop selling handsets in Japan - Nikkei | Reuters

" BlackBerry's market share in Japan has shrunk to 0.3 percent from 5 percent, the daily said.
    BlackBerry could not be immediately reached for comment.

The company, which changed its name from Research In Motion when it launched its new BlackBerry 10 smartphones a week ago, will continue to offer support to existing users, the Nikkei said. "
    (Reuters)
    07-16-13 07:58 PM
    Is there any online resource to find out who at bbry been offered options after June 28? If nothing else, the low SP will provide employees an incentive to see bbry succeed.
    07-16-13 08:01 PM
  6. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    Madoff has been a bear (as have many others) for a long time. I do agree the continual bashing is hurting and am not really sure why as the devices are solid (imo). Tough to be a cheerful contrarian

Posted via CB10
    I don't agree that the quote from Modoff is "bashing". Seems like a fairly reasoned statement to me. Maybe not BBRY positive, but that doesn't make it bashing.

Also, you wrote Madoff, not Modoff. Is that a typo or are you referring to a Mr. Madoff, not the quoted Mr. Modoff.
    07-16-13 08:06 PM
    One step closer...

In an exclusive chat, GizBot got to know that the Canadian maker behind BlackBerry Bold is in a verge of announcing something "

Finally, Instagram is coming to BlackBerry ecosystem. Moreover, BlackBerry 10 OS users should be eligible to download Instragram app , for sure.

http://www.gizbot.com/mobile/exclusi...ws-012967.html
    m0de25, jxnb, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    07-16-13 08:07 PM
    I don't agree that the quote from Modoff is "bashing". Seems like a fairly reasoned statement to me. Maybe not BBRY positive, but that doesn't make it bashing.

Also, you wrote Madoff, not Modoff. Is that a typo or are you referring to a Mr. Madoff, not the quoted Mr. Modoff.
    Typo...and was not saying his statement was bashing, was commenting on all the bashing in general...it's everywhere.

Posted via CB10

Edit...although as typos go that one is pretty ironic. haha
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 07-16-13 at 08:24 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-16-13 08:12 PM
  9. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    One step closer...

In an exclusive chat, GizBot got to know that the Canadian maker behind BlackBerry Bold is in a verge of announcing something "

Finally, Instagram is coming to BlackBerry ecosystem. Moreover, BlackBerry 10 OS users should be eligible to download Instragram app , for sure.

Exclusive: Instagram Coming To BlackBerry 10 Devices and BB A10 More Details Leaked | Blackberry - Gizbot
    gizbot
    "While conversing with a high profile executive over at BlackBerry India on the sidelines of BlackBerry Q5 launch, a reveal came that was unexpected. In an exclusive chat, GizBot got to know that the Canadian maker behind BlackBerry Bold is in a verge of announcing something " Breakthrough". Would you like to know what BlackBerry is hiding from consumers? Finally, Instagram is coming to BlackBerry ecosystem. Moreover, BlackBerry 10 OS users should be eligible to download Instragram app , for sure.It is to be seen whether Instragram will arrive on BlackBerry's older platform or not. The executive over at BlackBerry India wished to remain anonymous.

I think I will await confirmation from a more... conventional source.
    07-16-13 08:17 PM
    First time I am in agreement with a post from you. I must need a beer.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    07-16-13 08:36 PM
    Remember the exec in UAE who claimed a new playbook was coming this summer
    07-16-13 08:39 PM
    Remember the exec in UAE who claimed a new playbook was coming this summer
    It could happen !

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    take99 and lcjr like this.
    07-16-13 08:40 PM
  13. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    First time I am in agreement with a post from you. I must need a beer.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-16-13 08:40 PM
    Nah turns out I just really needed a beer
    07-16-13 08:56 PM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    Bugmapper and BergerKing like this.
    07-16-13 08:58 PM
    Personally I really had been looking forward to buy the A10, I was expecting a luxury design with top specs and I was willing to pay for that. I don't think I'm the only one right now (looking at forums it seems a majority feels the same) feeling that the specs are outdated, even if BB10 does not need much more it still feels as if I'm supposed to buy 1 year old hardware for a top of the line pricetag. And the design looks anything but luxury if the leaks are correct.
    With the extremely unimpressive Z10 launch in the US to be followed up by an A10 that worst case could be pretty much doa I can't help but think they should not be in this hardware business at all, it simply isn't working, the is no more room or time for a mistake and the A10 sure looks like one right now.
    Some people here need to understand the user base with BlackBerry, but first, need to understand that with an OS like BB10, there is no need to over create hardware!
    A good example is with the Windows PC: We buy a PC with bloated Windows X, then a faster processor/more RAM/Graphics card, etc., to keep up with more bloat-ware that we install in the form of patches and updates. Then, we need a faster PC because, well, you get the picture.
    BB10 is different. It doesn't need to match hardware that other OS's require.
    This also helps keep margins higher, as older parts can be purchased, with SHOULD help investors(!)
    07-16-13 09:12 PM
    Some people here need to understand the user base with BlackBerry, but first, need to understand that with an OS like BB10, there is no need to over create hardware!
    A good example is with the Windows PC: We buy a PC with bloated Windows X, then a faster processor/more RAM/Graphics card, etc., to keep up with more bloat-ware that we install in the form of patches and updates. Then, we need a faster PC because, well, you get the picture.
    BB10 is different. It doesn't need to match hardware that other OS's require.
    This also helps keep margins higher, as older parts can be purchased, with SHOULD help investors(!)
    I agreed with part about increasing margin, however to create hype and somehow convince regular consumer to switch or renewing with a blackberry device need more than just the technical explanation.

The playing field is not the same for them right now, and to really stir the pot, they need more than just a comparable service. They need innovation.

One of the theory behind TLSA, investors are buying into their innovation and of course TLSA are somewhat meeting their expectations. Can't tell you of TLSA is overvalue which I think it is with short interest at 37%.

I think and would hope BBM will stir the pot a little. Its not easy to compete on the hardware now days as everyone can and make great device, the key will come down how to get the crowd excited by coming out with more than just peak, hub and flow.

I'm no genius, but changing people's perception isn't easy and the only way to do it is by first impression which I think they failed to a certain extend. They do have another shot with BBM and BBM channel.
    07-16-13 09:45 PM
    I have been thinking, looking for thoughts and suggestions. My average is around 15. As I'm down a few Gs. While there's a little left, I was thinking of cashing out and buy a few long calls. Risks would be the same on whatever amount I put in. But my thoughts is to get the same amount of shares let say 2015 Jan calls and ride long as my original plan.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
    07-16-13 10:05 PM
    Does anyone know a single person who did not buy a BB10 phone and whose reason for not doing so was *solely* that it didn't have better specifications?

I don't buy this whole A10 spec concern. I really don't think the target market is going to be missed if the thing isn't quad core, or whatever.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:11 PM
    Check out Thomson Reuters Eikon in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/32066887

Nice!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:28 PM
    I have been thinking, looking for thoughts and suggestions. My average is around 15. As I'm down a few Gs. While there's a little left, I was thinking of cashing out and buy a few long calls. Risks would be the same on whatever amount I put in. But my thoughts is to get the same amount of shares let say 2015 Jan calls and ride long as my original plan.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss (paper). You could buy puts to hedge the downside, potentially $9 puts (expensive since they are close to the strike) out to Jan 2015.

If Blackberry rallies back, you lose on the options but have the upside of the stock going back to $15 or higher as you expect.

If BBRY continues to fall, you have some downside protection.

In either case your cost basis = your initial cash outlay for stocks + cost of options.

Going out to Jan 2015 gives you plenty of time value.
    Compaqee likes this.
    07-16-13 10:34 PM
    I'm no genius, but changing people's perception isn't easy and the only way to do it is by first impression which I think they failed to a certain extend. They do have another shot with BBM and BBM channel.
    I agree wholeheartedly. The thing I'm most excited about this summer is cross-platform BBM. Why? First, some background on BlackBerry in the U.S., where I live. Here, few know that BB10 is entirely new. Droid and iPhone users regard BlackBerries with condescension mixed with a little bit of grudging respect. Theywill gleefully insult BlackBerries as being outdated and uncool, but they do understand that for certain things they are still the best (such as messaging, notifications, battery life, and security). BlackBerries to them are BB7 devices, a reliable but limited and boring tool.

Can this change in the U.S.? Sure. There have been brands in other industries that have come back from the dead before. Is it likely? Too soon to tell, but it will be very, very tough, and BlackBerry will have to improve its marketing tremendously.

However, a well-done cross-platform BBM could absolutely be successful. That's something BlackBerry users CAN convince their friends and colleagues to try, if not use. Even if others make fun of BBM for being BlackBerry, it's just another free app to try. If it's as rock-solid as BBM is on BlackBerries, it should be very popular.

Professionally, I don't think it will be difficult for conferences and seminars to employ channels. One, lots of business people still have BlackBerries, and two, people still respect BlackBerry's ability to manage messaging. How exactly BlackBerry will monetize channels will be of interest. I can think of pros and cons to several pricing models. However, this is a great opportunity to remind people of BlackBerry's strength: top-notch messaging and security. I'd hope for a ripple effect to BES adoption, and possibly even more handsets being sold.
    07-16-13 11:23 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss (paper). You could buy puts to hedge the downside, potentially $9 puts (expensive since they are close to the strike) out to Jan 2015.

If Blackberry rallies back, you lose on the options but have the upside of the stock going back to $15 or higher as you expect.

If BBRY continues to fall, you have some downside protection.

In either case your cost basis = your initial cash outlay for stocks + cost of options.

Going out to Jan 2015 gives you plenty of time value.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm starting a new company and might need some capital.

I see the 10 strike put for 2015 at 3.35 premium. Which means my initial cash outlay would be tied up till 2015 plus injecting some money into the put call to protect myself from further downside risks.

Meanwhile, 2015 call, at the money is about 2.13 which isn't cheap either. Trying to put my self in the same position without committing more capital.

I can only blame myself for not thinking ahead before the ER. Lesson learned. Still like BBRY chance but hard to be positive when reading nothing but negative news out there.

Clarification if you don't mind, I can still close instead of exercising the option on those 2015 call or put out assuming SP is on the right side of the spectrum ?

Thanks
    Compaqee likes this.
    07-16-13 11:56 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly. The thing I'm most excited about this summer is cross-platform BBM. Why? First, some background on BlackBerry in the U.S., where I live. Here, few know that BB10 is entirely new. Droid and iPhone users regard BlackBerries with condescension mixed with a little bit of grudging respect. Theywill gleefully insult BlackBerries as being outdated and uncool, but they do understand that for certain things they are still the best (such as messaging, notifications, battery life, and security). BlackBerries to them are BB7 devices, a reliable but limited and boring tool.

Can this change in the U.S.? Sure. There have been brands in other industries that have come back from the dead before. Is it likely? Too soon to tell, but it will be very, very tough, and BlackBerry will have to improve its marketing tremendously.

However, a well-done cross-platform BBM could absolutely be successful. That's something BlackBerry users CAN convince their friends and colleagues to try, if not use. Even if others make fun of BBM for being BlackBerry, it's just another free app to try. If it's as rock-solid as BBM is on BlackBerries, it should be very popular.

Professionally, I don't think it will be difficult for conferences and seminars to employ channels. One, lots of business people still have BlackBerries, and two, people still respect BlackBerry's ability to manage messaging. How exactly BlackBerry will monetize channels will be of interest. I can think of pros and cons to several pricing models. However, this is a great opportunity to remind people of BlackBerry's strength: top-notch messaging and security. I'd hope for a ripple effect to BES adoption, and possibly even more handsets being sold.
    For the time being, I do feel the same that there is more upside potential for cross platform BBM and BBM channels. MDM wise, I'm still not fully convinced it is enough to turn the ship around.
    07-17-13 12:01 AM
    Facebook, a social network company, tried to monetize it's popularity by getting into phone business. What an #EPICFAIL it turned out to be!

Now, BlackBerry, a phone company is getting into mobile social networking (via cross platform BBM and Channels) and showing how it's done, like a boss!

No doubt in my mind that in < 30 days of it's release, BBM would be on 50% of active iPhone and Android devices in most countries

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 07-17-13 at 12:13 AM.
    07-17-13 12:01 AM
113,256 ... 15471548154915501551 ...