View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I'm at $15.63 right now for a $ basis/share. I may ignore that voice inside me and buy some more at this low price next week though.
    I am in a very similar situation. I may wait until I have some more funds and am able to buy a bigger chunk of shares to really bring my average SP down...still weighing my options though. I have no problem sitting on this investment for 4 more years or so
    lcjr, Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    07-16-13 04:11 PM
    I am in a very similar situation. I may wait until I have some more funds and am able to buy a bigger chunk of shares to really bring my average SP down...still weighing my options though. I have no problem sitting on this investment for 4 more years or so
    I may add 20 to 40 shares next week at this price. That's all I can throw at anything right now because I'm maxing out my TSP (401) retirement savings because I plan on retiring (again) early in 7 years and want all I can get of the government matching contributions. I guess that's why I'm not as hurt as the others that don't have any other investments. Like you, I can ride this out for a few years up to my retirement date of July 2020. But I will be really tempted to cash out if this did reach the $100 mark before then.
    07-16-13 04:17 PM
    You think something like that would push this up that high? Man, you'e starting to make me feel better and it's not even beer-thirty yet.
    Sure, all it would take is a few vocal critics to change their opinions and we are going right back up again. It would have to be the right deal of course but absolutely it's possible. And then....party time again haha

Beer thirty here...cheers

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-16-13 04:20 PM
    And one more feel good tune:

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    07-16-13 04:27 PM
    If the A10 comes out just like the leaks suggest, personally I'm afraid it could really be the phone that kills their hardware business. It simply won't sell with that design and those specs no matter how good the BB10 OS is. This could impact the stock for several quarters to come, what the stock needs is a lot of very good news regarding BES10 and later BBM but that might take some time. A licensing deal or some kind of partnership would be helpful also, at this point and as a shareholder I almost hope they could manage to get out of the hardware business as soon as possible before it kills the company. The Z10 and Q10 are great phones but they are still not able to sell them enough to make a profit, the A10 appears to be a dissapointment so how can they possibly sell anything of that. Maybe it is time to realise that even if they have some very good phones they are not able to compete in this market and should get out.
    kfh227 likes this.
    07-16-13 04:29 PM
    Today is the twelfth day of downtrend. The stock touches $9.10, which appears to create a double bottom based on the $9.10 on 7/10/2013 (two circles). One possibility is the stock is going to trend within the parallel downtrend channel (red fill) with a bottom range of $8.55 range. I don't want to see this at all. Another possibility is the stock is going to get out of the parallel channel, and perhaps starting to form a cup. Stoch. RSI is certainly at the bottom and can curve upward, and the MACD histogram (the circle on the daily chart) on the daily has decreased.

30 minute:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-16-5.17.49-pm.jpg

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-16-5.27.29-pm.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-16-5.27.29-pm.jpg  
    07-16-13 04:35 PM
    If the A10 comes out just like the leaks suggest, personally I'm afraid it could really be the phone that kills their hardware business. It simply won't sell with that design and those specs no matter how good the BB10 OS is. This could impact the stock for several quarters to come, what the stock needs is a lot of very good news regarding BES10 and later BBM but that might take some time. A licensing deal or some kind of partnership would be helpful also, at this point and as a shareholder I almost hope they could manage to get out of the hardware business as soon as possible before it kills the company. The Z10 and Q10 are great phones but they are still not able to sell them enough to make a profit, the A10 appears to be a dissapointment so how can they possibly sell anything of that. Maybe it is time to realise that even if they have some very good phones they are not able to compete in this market and should get out.
    Right now I'm focusing on the fact that they are still on track and the leaks are really good for BB at the moment. I'm surprised the leaks are coming out this early, but happy to see them due to the current situation. As far as the content of the leaks, everything is pure speculation but you do bring up a valid point. BB has time to get this right. They don't have to go head to head with the competition, but they should be competitive with the device and software. Meaning, if the consumer expectations are a quad core, 1080 HD, sd card slot, etc...then BB should have those as well.
    07-16-13 04:41 PM
    Right now I'm focusing on the fact that they are still on track and the leaks are really good for BB at the moment. I'm surprised the leaks are coming out this early, but happy to see them due to the current situation. As far as the content of the leaks, everything is pure speculation but you do bring up a valid point. BB has time to get this right. They don't have to go head to head with the competition, but they should be competitive with the device and software. Meaning, if the consumer expectations are a quad core, 1080 HD, sd card slot, etc...then BB should have those as well.
    Personally I really had been looking forward to buy the A10, I was expecting a luxury design with top specs and I was willing to pay for that. I don't think I'm the only one right now (looking at forums it seems a majority feels the same) feeling that the specs are outdated, even if BB10 does not need much more it still feels as if I'm supposed to buy 1 year old hardware for a top of the line pricetag. And the design looks anything but luxury if the leaks are correct.
    With the extremely unimpressive Z10 launch in the US to be followed up by an A10 that worst case could be pretty much doa I can't help but think they should not be in this hardware business at all, it simply isn't working, the is no more room or time for a mistake and the A10 sure looks like one right now.
    07-16-13 05:07 PM
    OH Boy. DOA again.
    07-16-13 05:14 PM
    OH Boy. DOA again.
    Well, I really wish I could be more positive but this time, regarding the A10, DOA is what i fear, it simply is not what people had been hoping for, I still own a lot of shares so obviously I don't like it.
    07-16-13 05:22 PM
    Personally I really had been looking forward to buy the A10, I was expecting a luxury design with top specs and I was willing to pay for that. I don't think I'm the only one right now (looking at forums it seems a majority feels the same) feeling that the specs are outdated, even if BB10 does not need much more it still feels as if I'm supposed to buy 1 year old hardware for a top of the line pricetag. And the design looks anything but luxury if the leaks are correct.
    With the extremely unimpressive Z10 launch in the US to be followed up by an A10 that worst case could be pretty much doa I can't help but think they should not be in this hardware business at all, it simply isn't working, the is no more room or time for a mistake and the A10 sure looks like one right now.
    I hear you man. But like I said, we should wait and see what the A10 really comes out with. I'm holding out for the A10 right now instead of getting the Z10 so I really want the A10 to blow my expectations away, so the current specs are a bit disappointing. But these specs may or may not be the real deal, so the fact that there are leaks of yet another device getting ready to make it's debut is great stuff in itself. I'm sure there are those that disagree with the idea of BB being strictly software, but I'm one of the few that think they should be. Not that they can't produce a good/great device product, but I think they would be better off being the company that corporations pay big money to in order to have security and reliability. Just my two cents worth of rambling though.
    07-16-13 05:22 PM
    Well, it's beer-thirty and I have some fish to throw on the grill tonight. I'll check in later to see what's happening.

See you on the patio!!
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-16-13 05:28 PM
    What ever it is worth, Today The Girl at the local costco said that they are selling TONS of Q10's. Z10 was ok selling.
    in Mid canada.
    So what ever her Tons mean?
    07-16-13 05:36 PM
    Where is the f'ing Verizon event for the Z10, Q10, or A10? Anyone still working in BlackBerry marketing?
    07-16-13 05:37 PM
    I checked with one of my internal contact in TELUS. He said the same thing as well. Sales of Z10 isn't as good and Q10 sales are tapering off a little. I don't think they need to sell alot of devices to be profitable and IMHO, I don't think they can compete with Samsung or Apple. Somehow if blackberry can stop losing subscribers or remain flat to execute other plans such as BB10 MDM, BBM cross platform services, that will help transition them to more of a OS provide l provider like Google instead of being in the hardware business.
    plane6065 likes this.
    07-16-13 06:09 PM
    There's open revolt about the Playbook not getting any major releases & A10 poor specs threads popping up like weeds...

Is it any wonder that the stock is getting beaten down when the only fan site is split?

The opinion poll results posted by Kevin (I'm not a crock) M. shows that battery life on BB10 for 45% is somewhat satisfied to worse?

As a potential investor, this site gets read by more than the faithful, it's tough to push the buy button.
    07-16-13 06:24 PM
    High $13 for me (if I am not counting the profit taking and reinvesting) have several thousand shares. I am here to stay till my girls are 18 (12 years to go)
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    07-16-13 06:24 PM
    Now if BlackBerry could somehow make this into a commercial, showing the virtues of Q10/Q5 keyboard typing vs glass touch/autocorrect (warning, graphic language - not for the faint of heart)

The 25 Funniest Autocorrects Of DYAC
    07-16-13 06:32 PM
    Well, it's beer-thirty and I have some fish to throw on the grill tonight. I'll check in later to see what's happening.

See you on the patio!!
    Glad to see you back LCJR. If I didn't have so many shares I wouldn't be so edgy. I wish BlackBerry would provide some positive news soon. It appears that the closest thing that BlackBerry has going for themselves is the BES10 and security. Let's hope for positive news soon about BES10 And security. BlackBerry shouldn't wait forever, people won't .

My friends all were surprise I got a BlackBerry because they believe they aren't good anymore. I tell them they are and will come back. They just need time, but lack marketing and PR.

BlackBerry need to be relevant in the areas they are good at -business, security, OS and brand.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Bacon Munchers and lcjr like this.
    07-16-13 06:59 PM
    Excellent! Let's see how much it rose.
    Open:9.36
    High; 9.37 (What!)
    Low: 9.10 (Bounce, baby.)
    Close: 9.12 (But...)

Down 2.61%??
    I don't understand. I thought Green meant up. Learn something new every day.

On the bright side I guess it was up by a penny for a while. Maybe soon.
    Yeah, but he commented in the premarket when it was trading green... and the wink indicated that it was only up marginally by pennies. Unless I'm missing some sort of double sarcasm here... if so... sorry

I think all of us barfed a little in our mouths today, I know I did. Definitely not a cheery place here as of late.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-16-13 07:07 PM
    Perhaps they should try BBRY?

NSA snoops a big boost for anti-spying security apps

PARMY OLSON
    Forbes
    Published Tuesday, Jul. 16 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
    Last updated Tuesday, Jul. 16 2013, 11:23 AM EDT

Thanks to the NSA privacy scandal, business is booming for services that claim they can keep mobile phone communications away from prying eyes and ears. One of the most high profile among them is Silent Circle, a National Harbour, Maryland-based firm whose monthly revenue has increased more than 400 per cent month-on-month since June 6, the landmark day that documents leaked by Edward Snowden revealed a mass, government snooping campaign called PRISM.

After moving to bigger offices three times in the last five months, the privately-funded company is living out of boxes and expects to ramp up staff numbers from 64 to 100 by year’s end.

The biggest surprise for its founders: a significant interest from enterprise customers, which now make up 40 per cent of Silent Circle’s revenue.

“We never saw that coming,” says CEO Mike Janke. “We didn’t realize global businesses had such a problem as it relates to mobile security and BYOD [bring your own device]… We thought we’d make a nice business, solve a problem, have 50-75,000 customers.”

Now Silent Circle is forecasting 2-3 million subscribers by the end of 2013, spanning individuals, corporations and various government agencies and militaries from around the world. Having launched in October 2012, Silent Circle says it became profitable in late May 2013. Earlier this year it sold 35,000 one-year subscriptions to luxury phone maker Vertu, which pre-installed the software on phones that are popular among the super-rich.

While individuals can download Silent Circle’s four mobile apps for $10 a month – encrypting phone calls, video and text messages in the country they originate – businesses will typically buy bulk subscriptions for their staff, along with a management console for $1,500. They’ll get a discount of 5-15 per cent depending on the number of subscriptions they buy, and while that can range in the thousands, it can end up being cheaper than the cyber-security packages they might buy for desktop networks.

“Typically they were spending $3-million on some kind of IT security and very little dealt with mobile,” says Janke. “For $200,000 they can cover not only their devices but the devices of their sources and management them with a management console.”

While the NSA snooping story has boosted the number of individuals who want their phone calls and text messages to remain private, corporations can at least put a palpable dollar value on their privacy.

Gregg Smith, CEO of mobile security firm Koolspan recounts a story from the last year where an executive at a board meeting inadvertently became a spying conduit after the microphone of their mobile phone was activated without their knowledge. The organization that was listening in (Smith says it was not a hedge fund) went on to short the company’s stock and net itself $30-million. “Dollars are being shifted from network attacks to attacks on mobile devices,” says Smith, who has also seen an increase in customer interest since the NSA spying scandal broke.

While Koolspan provides a hardware-based chip, Silent Circle’s products are software based, and represent a bespoke alternative to smartphone vendors like Samsung and BlackBerry, whose SAFE and Balance programs offer IT departments blanket protection for staff devices. With Silent Circle apps, staff can use a smartphone of their choice while setting their own security boundaries through use of the subscription.

Silent Circle’s encryption technology works a little like a virtual private network, particularly when it re-routes a call from say, Shanghai, to a phone that doesn’t have the app in Ohio. The call will go through Silent Circle’s servers in Canada, before hopping onto the public telephone switch gateway.

The company says it is unique to other Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services like Skype because it avoids keeping the keys to unlocking each customer’s encrypted data. It means that even with a U.S. court order, Silent Circle would not be able to hand over identifying metadata about its clients, or the content of their communications.

Phil Zimmerman, Silent Circle’s co-founder and the inventor of popular e-mail encryption software PGP, says most VoIP services don’t use encryption, and most of the few that do use protocols that share encryption keys with their servers. “Whoever controls that servers is in a position to use your key to read your traffic,” Zimmerman says.

Avoiding encryption keys and refusing to build backdoors is partly a business decision, he adds, since it would put off government customers. To get street cred from the cyber security community, Silent Circle has published its application source code on GitHub where other hackers can check its validity, although at least one critic claims the source code is incomplete.

Silent Circle’s product may be well timed, but its encryption protocols have been a long time in the making. “I’ve been wanting to do it with secure telephony for longer than I wanted to with e-mail, but 20 years ago the industry wasn’t ready,” says Zimmerman, who has been working on secure voice protocols for about eight years now. Zimmerman had been promoting software to secure phone calls through his own website, ZFone.com, in late 2011 – and not making much money from the venture – when Janke first sent him an e-mail with a business idea.

“We talked on the phone,” Zimmerman remembers. “He pitched the idea that he want to start a company to do secure VoIP, secure text messages and secure email, and he wanted to provide it to military people serving overseas so they could speak to their families. He wanted it for other things too like banks, oil companies and all kinds of enterprise customers, but it sounded like a great idea to me and so I said, ‘Sure.’ And that’s what we did. It’s kind of an unusual partnership.”

While Janke used to be a U.S. Navy Seal, Zimmerman was once the target of a three-year criminal investigation because of his work with PGP. The incongruity goes further. What does Zimmerman think about his American customers using the same Silent Circle software as certain American intelligence agencies, to hide from said intelligence agencies? Zimmerman laughs. “I love it,” he says.
    07-16-13 07:09 PM
    Forget BlackBerry 10
    Interestingly enough, the bullishness isn’t predicated on the strength of BlackBerry 10 as a platform, nor does Zabitsky expect unit sales to rise. On the contrary, the analyst believes that BlackBerry will inevitably abandon hardware and transition to becoming a cross-platform web services player instead.

More specifically, Zabitsky is particularly bullish on the prospect of BlackBerry Messenger becoming cross platform, which is scheduled to arrive this summer on iOS and Android. Opening up BBM to a wider audience is “long overdue,” in Zabitsky’s view. He believes that Microsoft is fumbling with its Skype acquisition, since the software giant hasn’t expanded carrier relationships, which presents an opportunity for BBM.

BBM could effectively become the next Skype, Zabitsky believes, delivering voice, video, and text communications tools.

A10 won't save the company IMO.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    07-16-13 07:11 PM
    Why can't bbry do an advertising blitz? didn't they get a new advertising firm? What can they lose by doing this? Showing off their new products. I just don't understand.
    07-16-13 07:14 PM
  24. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I think some people haven't heard of the concept of market segmentation. They seem to think you must bring a product out at the price that would immediately maximize sales numbers, rather than tapping some of the market that's happy to support a higher margin product in return for being an early adopter and only later lowering the price.... later, when you've also been able to ramp up production enough that you won't have trouble meeting demand.

Is it my imagination or is that what's behind the spate of armchair CEO comments about Q5 pricing (not just here)? Same as how all the other products they've released were initially "too expensive" and then, when the price was dropped (a planned event, even if the exact timing isn't determined in advance) it's always reported as a desperate attempt to increase sales or to dump inventory of a failed product.

Do we have any MBAs in this crowd who can talk about typical strategies along these lines? I think we need some education. (I'm sure I do... just not from some of the posters I've seen here lately.)

Posted via CB10
    I've heard of market segmentation. Had to buy new goggle lenses at Whistler one fine Sunday morning. Paid almost double ($100 for A-frame lenses. Hey, they fit ). Also have seen many successful phones drop in price over time.

The difference here is the rapidity of this drop. Combine it with, let's just say less than stellar sales as BBRY relucantly admitted on June 28 (what is the % breakdown of BBOS to BB10 anyway? Does Mr Heins think obfuscating this really helps his company?) and many conclude this is evidence not only of low sales, but swelling inventory. Remember Mr. Heins claiming sales were so good that they cranked up production? Of course anything BBRY management says needs a salt shaker nearby.

BlackBerry Downplays Z10 Price Cuts - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

" �Having price cuts this early before a new product is actually announced seems unusually early to us,� Jeffrey told CNBC. �It seems hard not to conclude there is excess inventory.�

Indeed, particularly after BlackBerry�s lousy first-quarter earnings, which boasted as its centerpiece a piddling 2.7 million BlackBerry 10 devices sold. So what�s the company to do? Hope like hell that the A10 is better received at market than the Z10. Beyond that? Keep its head down and continue to struggle for relevancy. "
    (allthingsd)

swelling inventory + poor sales = not good
    07-16-13 07:21 PM
    Wonder what would happen to BBRY SP if this happened to them?

Is suspect we won't even see a blip on AAPL SP

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2013...ail_rt_mc_body

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    07-16-13 07:30 PM
113,256 ... 15461547154815491550 ...