View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Just.lol.
    It's off topic so I won't discuss it here. Suffice to say that if it wasn't about the os, all devices could be certified secure with an add-on.
    Now BES10 allows kinda sandboxing that creates safe networking for specific data. That doesn't make the device / os secure. Just isolate safe work from unsecured environment.

Edit : for BES over Ios and Android, it DOES allow offline work, for emails, calendar and contacts for example.

Let's not jump on that "secure enough" thing.

Posted via CB10
    Any OS can meet security standards if is hardened, or do you think BB10 developers are some kind of magicians of security that use their own secret technology to secure the OS? Of course not, security is based in open standards that anyone can implement. A MDM company hooks into the OS and certify the container is isolating the information, the OS can't be updated before the MDM vendor certifies the new version.

Third party apps can be executed in the encrypted container, not only the mail-calendar-documents that are provided by default by MDM companies. So you can do all your work in the encrypted container and your personal stuff outside the container.

Yes, BlackBerry is using that technology for Workspace and Balance. Vritualization is even more secure but can't be used offline.

The security advantage of BB10 is pretty much done with those technologies.
    07-13-13 09:26 AM
  2. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    I suppose the answer is because I am a value investor. The stock is worth X and I am paying less. I don't time the markets. If anyone could do that, The Forbes 400 would have billionaires that are day traders. the count of day traders on that list is zero. People shouldn't pretend that they'll be the first. Stocks go up or down for a reason or for no reason at all.

I've been doing value investing for many years now. I can't even begin to explain everything about it. Suffice it to say that if you know how to do a DCF that's not even 1% of what value investing is.

What you advocate below is poor judgement. If you see $1 on sale for 50 cents, you buy it. You don't wait for $1 to be for sale for 40 cents. You buy it at 50 cents and if it drops to 40 cents who cares? You still paid 50 cents for a dollar and it's not a bad thing just because that 50 cents is currently "trading" at 40 cents. You pay 50 cents now and if you have to you leave room to buy 40 cents later. Thing is, you better plan for paying 10 cents. I've seen it happen. Just go look at USG. Painfully cheap several years ago. Anyone that waited for $10/share is a fool.
    You've seen it happen?

We've all seen things happen. I've seen you say this on June 27:
    "I view worse case as meeting expectations."
    And you accuse me of poor judgement? The signs were all there for a disastrous 28th, particularly much evidence of the awful Z10 sales. How is the SEC investigation going about the "scandalous" report of low sales and high returns? Didn't Mr. Heins say he wouldn't stand for such lies? Here's a thought. Maybe they weren't lies.

Tiny orders per store. High return rates. Throw in the abysmal app situation and widespread problems with rebooting etc.

Regarding your "If you see $1 on sale for 50 cents, you buy it. You don't wait for $1 to be for sale for 40 cents." That would be a great deal, unfortunately that is not what is happening here. The last year showed BBRY bumping along around $7 or $8 with open speculation about the end of BBRY until it looked like BB10 handsets would *finally* be released. Speculation that these handsets would be successful drove the stock up from about November to June. Then reality hit on June 28. Handset sales disastrous. Stock crashed and is sinking still. Even bulls like you are openly expecting "high 7 or low 8". Many analysts expect far less. Many in fact say BBRY in its present form will be finished soon. The eagerness for a takeover, even in this thread, is palpable. Certainly beats bankruptcy I guess.

Let's try to quantify your analogy. I suggested exiting and re-entering at your expected $8 which set off your "You don't wait for $1 to be for sale for 40 cents". OK, $8 is your 40 cents. What does that make your dollar? $20? Go find a dozen analyst estimates. Compare them to your "dollar".

See the problem? BBRY stock isn't expected by any reasonable person to be worth $20. Is it worth $6? BBRY is showing it is unable to compete in the handset market, which is still the lions share of its business. How long the company will bleed until they get competitive phones or give up the handset business will be the main factor in seeing how much, if any, value will remain. Yes, wait for BES 10. Yes, wait for BBM everywhere (how will they monetize this one, and will it compensate for even more platform defectors?). Yes, wait for the glorious M2M domination. I personally don't think these things will happen fast enough or be successful enough (there is plenty of well funded competition in these areas) to push value up much at all.

I could be wrong, but I personally wouldn't bet on this stock until it is much lower that today. $4.50 anyone?

Last bit of investment advice.
    "It's never different this time."
    aniym likes this.
    07-13-13 09:34 AM
    You do know that the source code to the QNX Neutrino was open when RIM bought it?
    Not one person has said that that has made QNX "insecure."

Yes but is the OS is open source any chance at being secure is gone. No matter if BIS or BES and regardless of the MDM software being used. No open source software is anywhere near as secure as a controlled software package.

Posted via CB10
    tiziano27 and app_Developer like this.
    07-13-13 09:51 AM
    Some research from Garnter posits that MDM is morphing into Mobile App Management and is disappearing as we know it, so there is something in what you are saying.

Mobile Device Management Market Won't Last: Gartner

"Mobile Device management is in chaos right now, and I think this market is going to die," said John Girard, vice president and distinguished analyst at Gartner. "MDM will reach an endpoint and then we'll really start to see vendors have to look at mobile application management and application shielding around the app -- that is really what is happening."

The MDM space is estimated to be a $784-million market with about 128 or more firms vying for customers. It is projected to be $1.6-billion market by 2014, according to Gartner. Despite increasing momentum, market penetration for MDM is currently estimated at less than 30 percent.
    Any OS can meet security standards if is hardened, or do you think BB10 developers are some kind of magicians of security that use their own secret technology to secure the OS? Of course not, security is based in open standards that anyone can implement. A MDM company hooks into the OS and certify the container is isolating the information, the OS can't be updated before the MDM vendor certifies the new version.

Third party apps can be executed in the encrypted container, not only the mail-calendar-documents that are provided by default by MDM companies. So you can do all your work in the encrypted container and your personal stuff outside the container.

Yes, BlackBerry is using that technology for Workspace and Balance. Vritualization is even more secure but can't be used offline.

tiziano27, CDM76 and app_Developer like this.
    07-13-13 09:56 AM
    Some research from Garnter posits that MDM is morphing into Mobile App Management and is disappearing as we know it, so there is something in what you are saying.

Mobile Device Management Market Won't Last: Gartner
    That's right, the same technology that was used to secure the whole device is now applyed to secure a just a group of apps and their data inside a container that runs in the device. The company has total control of the container.

Doesn't matter if the device is BB10 or iOS, the MDM features of the OS don't add anything to the functions of the container.
    07-13-13 10:18 AM
    07-13-13 10:24 AM
    anyway ,good news that market can go down and even bad news can go up sometimes,right?
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-13-13 10:27 AM
    It will eventually sink in . . . . .

Infographic: Is Your Information Safe from Data Breaches?

Jul 13, 2013 10:00 AM EST

By Abigail Wang

The more our personal information is digitized the more that information is at risk. A lot of people don't worry about protecting their sensitive data because they're under the impression that hackers wouldn't be interested in their accounts. If you think this, you're sadly mistaken. Even your personal email can be worth a lot depending on what information you have on it, like access to your online banking statement and details of your Amazon account. It's important to be aware of the danger your personal information is in if you don't properly protect it.

What are the Risks?
    Data breach care company ID Experts shared statistics of identity theft and data breach over the last decade, showing a higher rate at which these crimes are happening than most people are probably aware of. We throw around terms like identity theft, medical identity theft, and data breach to spread awareness of possible threats, but that doesn't mean everyone knows what they actually mean.

ID Experts gives straight-forward definitions that can help clear misunderstandings. Identity theft, which one in every 20 consumers is a victim, is the misuse of an individual's personal identifiable information for fraudulent purposes. Medical identity theft, which affected two million people in the United States in 2011 alone, happens when someone uses another person's name and personal identity to wrongly receive medical services or prescription drugs. Finally, a data breach is a security incident where sensitive information like Social Security Numbers and protected health information is copied, stolen, or used by an unauthorized person.

Who and What is at Stake?
    The vulnerability to data breaches is increasing, and consumers, patients, and a range of different industries from healthcare to retail are at risk. Almost 13 million Americans were victims of identity theft last year, more than double the amount since 2003. Over 600 million records have been compromised in security breaches since 2005. These numbers will only continue to grow if individuals aren't more proactive in protecting their information online.

Alarmingly, 94% of surveyed healthcare organizations were victims of at least one data breach within the past two years. Even college health services are at risk for being attacked; in 2009 hackers accessed approximately 160,000 personal records of students and alumni at the University of California at Berkeley. One reason for these attacks could be because a medical record can reportedly fetch $50 on the black market.

Why Now?
    Almost 40 million people in the U.S. use smart phones. The problem is that most people don't secure their mobile devices even though they have personal and private data stored on them. Moreover, more companies and healthcare organizations are moving towards electronic records. This may be more convenient for them, but a surprising 88.6% of healthcare professionals access patient information with unprotected smart phones.

The massive amounts of data that people can now find online and through security breaches have led some to believe the worst has yet to come. Last year security firm Internet Identity predicted that the Internet will be used as a murder weapon by 2014. It suggested that malware conflicts between nations are inevitable and a future breach into military hardware will have serious repercussions. Cyberterrorism, any politically motivated attack against information, computer systems, programs, and data, is on the rise.

What Can You Do?
    It's not a hopeless situation. There are steps you can take to protect your personal information. You should wipe old emails and accounts that you don't use anymore. In the case of active accounts, consider setting up two-factor authentication and using a password manager like Editors' Choice Dashlane. Make sure you're using secure cloud applications when you put information online. It's also a good idea to buy antivirus software. Be smart: consider what information you make available online and secure all your devices.
    rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    07-13-13 10:59 AM
    The last two weeks have been the worst during my BB investment. Lets get this show on the road and hit up to double digits atleast.

When Morgan comes back I'd love to hear his thoughts.

Kantar Worldpanel�s report goes on to say that BlackBerry�s market share during the three months ending 2013 had falling precipitously to 0.7%.(US)

I know the media is completely focused on the US while disregarding other nations, this could be a bit of a positive if BB shows some growth in other markets.
    07-13-13 11:19 AM
    Is this a reliable source? Are the numbers they are quoting verifiable via another source?
    07-13-13 11:34 AM
    The last two weeks have been the worst during my BB investment. Lets get this show on the road and hit up to double digits atleast.

When Morgan comes back I'd love to hear his thoughts.

Kantar Worldpanel�s report goes on to say that BlackBerry�s market share during the three months ending 2013 had falling precipitously to 0.7%.(US)

I know the media is completely focused on the US while disregarding other nations, this could be a bit of a positive if BB shows some growth in other markets.
    It would appear the safest bet to focus exclusively on the growth of the US market. This is a mistake we have made in this investment. Wall Street will always discount what BlackBerry is doing overseas. Growth could be 10% YOY in xxxxxx but shorts will say see no growth in US.
    fedakd likes this.
    07-13-13 11:38 AM
    Is this a reliable source? Are the numbers they are quoting verifiable via another source?
    Many will say that StatCounter is not reliable for "Market Share" stats and I even doubt the methodology for more accepted market share stats. You will often see two agencies reporting somewhat different numbers for platforms. Regardless, what is displayed on there is not a bad sign I'd say.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-13-13 11:40 AM
    Hopefully that will compensate for the 70% drop in Canada.
    StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share
    07-13-13 12:08 PM
    And another one bites the dust!
    Last edited by bungaboy; 07-13-13 at 02:36 PM.
    Bugmapper, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    07-13-13 12:15 PM
    bungaboy,

Enterprise security is very different from consumer security, we are talking about enterprise security here.

Containerization and Virtualization allow corporations to work with the same security standard using BYOD than buying a dedicate handset for their employees. So, BB10 is loosing one of the biggest advantage in the enterprise, the ability to configure the handset for security blocking any user activity that could expose the company data. Containerization and Vritualization make just that in any OS.

BlackBerry is reacting to this change providing their own solution for containerization (Workspace) and working to become a relevant actor in the BYOD space, recognizing this trend is irreversible.

So if BB10 won't sell in significant quantities in the corporate market. BB10 is not having success in the consumer market because the lack of apps and the technical inability to run in low end devices and not enough diffusion. What do you think is the future of BB10 if BlackBerry can't sell enough units to finance their development?

So, I propose make BB10 open source right now to expand its adoption and add resources to its development. BlackBerry can benefit greatly if the OS is adopted for third parties and more massively by users.
    They are opening BBM late, don't make the same mistake with BB10, or it will end forgotten like webos.
    07-13-13 12:18 PM
    suddenly the crackberry website is coming up as mobile on my home pc. Black background and white lettering and I hate it. What happened? Can I change this back somehow? Thank you
    either replace the "m" in "m.crackberry.com" by "www" or hit the "desktop" link at the very bottom of the page.The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

Ahah ! I've been trapped In the forum section, still at the very bottom, hit "default style", sry.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    CDM76, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    07-13-13 12:34 PM

Encryption and isolation is only a tiny part of security. But I think we're already slightly OT ... Could you create a new thread where many could discuss about it ?
    I suggest the BB10 OS section where very advanced about security CB users hang.
    Sorry, but we have to stick to the topic here (as in every thread) ...
    bungaboy, rarsen, kfh227 and 1 others like this.
    07-13-13 12:44 PM
    I could be wrong, but I personally wouldn't bet on this stock until it is much lower that today. $4.50 anyone?
    Last bit of investment advice.
    "It's never different this time."
    Edited : Welcome shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex in the CB community and in this thread (sorry, I didn't noticed at first your post count)

We'll be glad to hear your BBRY inverstor advices then (if ever the stock dives that low) ...
    I don't even want to comment about the number of "disatrous" statements you claim valid. Name them "deceptive" or below street expectations. But disastrous, simply; no.

Your feelings matters, and we're glad to have a new round of - say - Bears around. We also like to chill under the fresh shower. It's refreshing and often insightfull. But please keep some assertions for blogging @ BGR or S.A. We don't want flames here; Thank you in advance.
    07-13-13 12:52 PM
    A lot of salt. I mean, a LOT. These data are ... difficult to analyse.
    take99 and sidhuk like this.
    07-13-13 01:00 PM
    Same source but different metric: Top mobile OS's in the US. BBRY registers 4.32 and windows 1.42.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-stats.jpg

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-13-13 01:59 PM
    I thought that we came to the conclusion that statcounter's figures were all over the place?
    07-13-13 02:16 PM
    I thought that we came to the conclusion that statcounter's figures were all over the place?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-i_want_to_believe.jpg
    DragonFlyer and aniym like this.
    07-13-13 02:25 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I_Want_To_Believe.jpg 
Views:	930 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	182264
    LoL

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 02:26 PM
    Maybe when posting stats we should add a rider 'For entertainment purposes only'. Every data point prior to June 28 had BBRY supporters and critics alike being dragged and pushed all over the statistical landscape. I don't see that confusion being resolved any time soon.
    bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    07-13-13 02:40 PM
    Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 07:12 PM
113,256 ... 15361537153815391540 ...