View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    "With half of all companies expected to employ a bring-your-own-device, or BYOD, program by 2017, there's about to be a growing need to secure employee mobile computing devices in a streamlined manner. To that end, Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) recently introduced its Secure Work Space solution for Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android and Apple Inc. "

Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY)’s Gamechanger? - Insider Monkey

They keep referring to the company as Research in Motion. When is that going to stop!
    Well, technically they still are until the name change request gets filed with the various securities commissions. AGM vote simply meant shareholders approve of the new name.
    07-12-13 09:28 AM
    They keep referring to the company as Research in Motion. When is that going to stop!
    The name change hasn't officially taken place yet, as is my understanding. Notice how even though the ticker is still BB/BBRY, the name under it is still Research In Motion.

Anyways, it's been a while since I've been back here. How's everyone feeling about the share price right now? The math points to it being undervalued but given the huge short position, I've been hesitant to increase my position (read: loss, haha).

Thoughts?
    Bugmapper likes this.
    07-12-13 09:28 AM
    The name change hasn't officially taken place yet, as is my understanding. Notice how even though the ticker is still BB/BBRY, the name under it is still Research In Motion.

Anyways, it's been a while since I've been back here. How's everyone feeling about the share price right now? The math points to it being undervalued but given the huge short position, I've been hesitant to increase my position (read: loss, haha).

Thoughts?
    Same boat here with a paper loss. Hesitant to add but at the same time, the price is too good.
    07-12-13 09:30 AM
    In Canada, the name change was filed on Sedar, so in Canada at least it's BlackBerry.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-12-13 09:41 AM
    Agreed. He does point out that there will be different versions. That said, what he does list isn't earth shattering. Nothing that will make people ruch out to buy one.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the good features about QNX is that it can run faster with less power.
    Correct me if I'm wrong ain't referring to poor grammar either.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-12-13 09:42 AM
    Why the BlackBerry PlayBook is still worth buying

Why the BlackBerry PlayBook is still worth buying - Liliputing
    I think the comments are great. I'm not sure why anyone is flogging a device that's not being produced anymore...

"An iPad mini with 64GB costs a whopping $350 more than the PlayBook." - joke of the day...
    Bugmapper likes this.
    07-12-13 09:43 AM
    Morning Gang,

this is a little OT but still related to BB / BBRY wrt R&D. therewas an article in the G&M a coule of days ago...
    How to sell Silicon Valley on the death of silicon - The Globe and Mail

in the article the author suggests a team up with Blackberry could be very benificial to both companies, but this is highly speculative. With all the talk of quadcores and multiple gigs of ram being the only way for BB to compete and the insistance that "battery life must not suffer", I really hope there is someone in BB R&D taking a good hard look at this. IF, as the article suggests, this is a new and better tech, and IF BB could get it first, then maybe, just maybe they stand a fighting chance. IF they give it a pass or wait for someone else to prove the tech... well then they will continue to play catch up.

Anyone with some experience or knowledge in the sector, please comment. I'm thinking of selling some assets and buying some of this as a purely speculative play.
    I have no experience or knowledge in the sector so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Yeah, really speculative. Company has (including all exercisable warrants) about 150 Million shares outstanding, and likely to issue more to generate cash in the next few years. Also not a lot of assets or income so your investment will see some dilution.

Very big upside potential if they can get the technology to a marketable scale. And they do business in Canada and trade on the TMX so I will keep it on my watchlist.
    cjcampbell and StormieTwo like this.
    07-12-13 09:44 AM
    Same boat here with a paper loss. Hesitant to add but at the same time, the price is too good.
    Too good, relative to what? You're already in the name, you believe its going to rebound hard, don't double down. Greed is good, but wait for the fundamentals to turn would be my take...
    Robert Halloran and m1a1mg like this.
    07-12-13 09:45 AM
    Agreed. He does point out that there will be different versions. That said, what he does list isn't earth shattering. Nothing that will make people ruch out to buy one.
    I believe all devices, starting with Q5 will have different versions depending the region.
    For Q5, besides the 4G/LTE, some models may have dual SIM, NFC or not and even different chips [pinch of salt here].
    DragonFlyer and Bugmapper like this.
    07-12-13 09:48 AM
    true, but I'm interested in what Icahn would do if he were to get the approval..
    Ichan currently faces a ton of headwinds... why would he want to tie his hands with a pc turnaround and a mobile phone turnaround?

Also, Ichan if he were to get into BBRY would probably gut the company and sell it for parts... effectively killing the company. In the process you may/may not hit breakpoint on the stock and lose the maker of your device...
    07-12-13 09:49 AM
    Too good, relative to what? You're already in the name, you believe its going to rebound hard, don't double down. Greed is good, but wait for the fundamentals to turn would be my take...
    Maybe not the right choice of words, but the price is low. Really comes down what you think may happen. I'm holding but on the fence of adding some. *shrug*
    Last edited by leafs123; 07-12-13 at 10:05 AM.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-12-13 09:52 AM
    This is an interesting part of the article that I can't argue with

"If I were POET, I would look to a company like BlackBerry Ltd. to validate the microchip. Perhaps BlackBerry’s engineers can create a smartphone using the POET microchip side by side with a product using silicon chips. That would show the results and the performance attributes.

In exchange, POET could offer BlackBerry exclusivity for two years to produce smartphones with the POET chips. That way both companies win. Once an independent third-party technology company can prove POET’s claims, then money will flood in from all of Silicon Valley."
    I have no experience or knowledge in the sector so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Yeah, really speculative. Company has (including all exercisable warrants) about 150 Million shares outstanding, and likely to issue more to generate cash in the next few years. Also not a lot of assets or income so your investment will see some dilution.

Very big upside potential if they can get the technology to a marketable scale. And they do business in Canada and trade on the TMX so I will keep it on my watchlist.
    Very speculative, but I can see that silicon is coming up against the wall. They can't get much smaller without getting leakage across circuits. and then there is the power requrement (and the heat it generates). POET might be the solution, but will it catch on?
    Bugmapper likes this.
    07-12-13 10:07 AM
    Must admit this as a fair general advice.
    Then, if we break the $8s again (provided there's no atrocious news but only shorts assault), I would only need a moderate amount (500X8 = $4000) to average down to the $10s (current: 500 sh avg $13.2). Why it could make sense ? Because I believe whatever the future of BlackBerry is (I exclude the bankruptcy option) this is far under their value (somehow "securing" my investment). But this will be me "doubling down" and - again - this is not something we can suggest as an advice. Just my situation, with very low amount of shares and some new cash available.

Time for our friendly reminder
    PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

If you're not used to deal with stocks, the following should be your starting point.

1. This is real money. Your money. There's no tryouts nor refunds.
    2. You must establish what is your capacity before entering the game. Set it and keep it as an absolute limit (you can add later, depending on your revenues profile). Generally, something like 15% of your currently available and free cash is a reasonable amount. Do not speculate with money you don't own in full (credit). If you lose, don't rely on things like "averaging down" or "buy on dips" unless you have additional cash that fits with this rule.
    3. Stay calm. Looking at the stock on a day basis is hard for your nerves. Either good or bad, fluctuations can happen very fast.
    4. We are a drop in the bucket, even those of us with 100s K $ in the game are nothing if we compare to the global cap (count in $K Billions)
    5. Those playing "against" you have more power, more money and know how the market can react. You don't. Do not use "everyday" logic here. This "game" has its own rules and it takes a while to understand/accept them.
    6. One possible approach is to play "long" (counting in years), this particular approach is the one I suggested when starting this thread back in Feb 2011. I personally stick to this approach, as it appears to be somehow the most adapted for rookies like us, engaging tiny amounts and with very limited skills. Be careful about fees/taxes you may have to pay for each transaction: they can ruin your gains easily.
    7. Please be aware that if you consider investing in stocks, mixing different companies and types of investments (ex : safe, aggressive, short term, long term) is highly recommended.
    8. Last but not least : stay humble and prudent.
    07-12-13 10:07 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the good features about QNX is that it can run faster with less power.
    But BB10 isn't QNX which seems to pass a lot of people by.
    07-12-13 10:15 AM
    Good news for you guys. If I give my .02 of what I actually believe im wrong all the time. Personally I honestly feel this stock is heading towards the 8's. If I were going to get in id wait for the bleeding to stop then go in. So now that i've given my expert advice lets just see what happens

PS: I sold out at 11.15 at a loss. if I jumped back in now with that money I would have done well even if I was still at a loss
    07-12-13 10:18 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong ain't referring to poor grammar either.
    BB10 IS NOT QNX, it started with the basic QNX kernel. And yes some of the OS that are based on QNX are able to run with very little power and with very basic hardware.

But an OS for a Mobile Device is very complicated, and BBRY even said that they had to "paste" some of the BBOS into it to make it do what they needed. Based on power usage and hardware requirements, I'd say that the OS could use quite a bit of optimization. But they were running out of time and a 1-1/2 year delay was already more than they could afford. There might be a lot of room for future growth... but based on the PlayBook being "killed", I'd say that they aren't anywhere close to the optimization needed to reduce the hardware requirements.

So they aren't going to be able to build entry level devices with BB10, until entry level devices are using dual cores and 2GB of RAM.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-12-13 10:21 AM
    Then, if we break the $8s again (provided there's no atrocious news but only shorts assault), I would only need a moderate amount (500X8 = $4000) to average down to the $10s (current: 500 sh avg $13.2). Why it could make sense ? Because I believe whatever the future of BlackBerry is (I exclude the bankruptcy option) this is far under their value (somehow "securing" my investment). But this will be me "doubling down" and - again - this is not something we can suggest as an advice. Just my situation, with very low amount of shares and some new cash available.
    Averaging down for small investors never makes much sense to me, I never do it - leaving aside that you could be throwing good money after bad, there is also the opportunity cost factor.
    07-12-13 10:22 AM
    Very speculative, but I can see that silicon is coming up against the wall. They can't get much smaller without getting leakage across circuits. and then there is the power requrement (and the heat it generates). POET might be the solution, but will it catch on?
    That's the rub. From an investor's point of view, if it doesn't catch on then the shares start trading in the fractions of pennies. I've lost significant amounts on high tech stocks (particularly laser technology) because I bought in before there was a viable business with actual sales. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again (but I prolly will )
    07-12-13 10:22 AM
    07-12-13 10:26 AM
    They would have difficulty copy protecting the name Z10 because it is not a name, just a model designation and a serial number. You can't copyright letters or numbers unless they form an identifiable word or name. X1245 cannot be protected.... Zephyr model 10 can.
    07-12-13 10:31 AM
    Averaging down for small investors never makes much sense to me, I never do it - leaving aside that you could be throwing good money after bad, there is also the opportunity cost factor.
    +1

I'm a new investor but I'm trying to remember to build the mentality and discipline that at the end of the day, money is money. Believing and supporting a company by buying shares has minimal effect on how it will actually perform. We have to separate our emotions from our investments.

For example, I root for Blackberry because I like the underdog, believe in the product and I'm a Canadian. But that does not mean to throw a hail mary at it with all my cash. Protect your money!

Going forward, my cash has been spread into much more solid & lower risk stocks to help hedge the risks I have in Blackberry. I still believe in the company but I'm looking out for myself because remember if BBRY closes up shop, we are not going to be their priority.

Like cgk said - throwing good money after bad is not something to do. There are places to make money elsewhere just remember that =).

Exercise caution.

Long - just been polishing my steel balls =).

Cheers!
    07-12-13 10:31 AM
    I haven't seen a value placed on the stock for a while, but last year it was said it had fallen down to close to $9 a share. That was before many of the cost savings initiatives were put into place. Don't know how assists have been liquidated since then, but the whole "services" model that had some value is collapsing on them. And who really knows what agreements they have on some of the "shared" patent portfolios that they share ownership of, or what assets (their own patents) they might liquidated between now and....

But I think you know what you are doing with your money Superfly. Just suggesting that caution should be used, and that anyone wanting to invest really should do their own research and not listen to me or anyone else in a public forum. I'm half empty on BBRY at this point and your half full, but neither of us really knows.
    07-12-13 10:40 AM
    BlackBerry will be the sponsor of Inside the Race with BlackBerry, a companion program hosted by ETalk‘s Danielle McGimsie and Innerspace’s Teddy Wilson, and providing viewers with access to behind-the-scenes footage, post-race analysis, interviews with competitors and never-before-seen footage. Weekly episodes will begin airing July 16 at 10 a.m., and fans will have chances to win a weekly prize of a BlackBerry Z10 by answering trivia related to the episode, as well as a grand prize of CAD$5,000.

Read more: CTV sets digital content slate for “The Amazing Race Canada” � Realscreen
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    07-12-13 10:42 AM
    So what is the name of the Z10?

Kinda dumb for BlackBerry to call their devices something that any other manufacture could come along and use (if they became popular). Probable three or four Chinese manufactures getting ready to release Z10, Q10 and A10 devices right now if that is the case.
    07-12-13 10:47 AM
    So what is the name of the Z10?

Kinda dumb for BlackBerry to call their devices something that any other manufacture could come along and use (if they became popular). Probable three or four Chinese manufactures getting ready to release Z10, Q10 and A10 devices right now if that is the case.
    Yeah, a lot of manufacturers have been doing that for the last 20 years or so. Not sure what the advantage is... maybe running out of names and many names don't translate well. I started noticing it in cars. Mazda cars and Honda Motorcycles are good examples. In some ways it puts the emphasis back on the manufacturer, not the model. So you are buying a HONDA XBR250 not a honda SUPERFLYER. If the brand name of the manufacturer is good, it needs to be emphasized so people remember the mfgr, not the model.
    07-12-13 10:53 AM
113,256 ... 15311532153315341535 ...