View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    uhhh ... I hope you don't mean what I understand.
    If this is part of European culture then has anyone seen any public figure demonstrating this behavior? Has Chancellor Merkel done this in public?
    07-10-13 03:26 PM
    thanks for the reference explanation !

Now, about promotion, there's IMHO 3 levels :
    1. Make people know there's something new = occupy the space (what you start to see now, even "minor league-ed"
    2. Promote the products and their specificities = advertising (in big, starting ... ???)
    3. Ease adoption with discounts = incentives. This one has to be done "in the shadow" to avoid "they discount cauz they can't sale" analysts. IMHO these will be enterprise focused on a one to one deal basis, mostly for large fleets and BES10+devices deals.

2 and 3 have not started ... and hopefully 1 will be upgraded in next months ...
    I was talking to a couple of managers who operate kiosks in the mall selling all varieties of phones for multiple carriers. These kiosks are relocated in many malls throughout Canada.I asked them how they decide on which phone is promoted in regards to extra signage and displays. I was told it was paid for by the manufacturers such as BBRY, Samsung, Apple etc. It changes on a weekly basis based on who paid their corporate head office to promote their phones. Corporate head office then instructs the individual kiosks on what signage to use, and how to display the phones.
    I asked if it was effective and was told " whatever phone has the biggest display and signage promotion for the week is always the top seller at the kiosks for that week."
    I have no idea what the cost is to have the prominent signage for the week but whatever it is it seems well worth it.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 03:28 PM
    If this is part of European culture then has anyone seen any public figure demonstrating this behavior? Has Chancellor Merkel done this in public?
    I don't know but back when I was a chef, I worked for a few Italians straight off the boat and you get to learn what certain things mean and the severity of their gestures.... lol
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    07-10-13 03:29 PM
    Almost every French president have, at least once ... De Gaulle may be the most explicit example.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-13 03:31 PM
    A little OT but related to BBRY's industry nonetheless. I apologize if this has been posted earlier.

It seems like BBRY's biggest US carrier supporter Verizon, is having trouble selling the "other fruit's" phones as well. Someone got strong armed here. Hopefully they've learned their lesson but a very big price to pay though.

International carriers seems to be shying away from the tactics of the other fruit company.
    Verizon had to pay up to get the iPhone, remember in 2009/2010, At&t was taking customers away from Verizon due to the exclusivity...

Apple did a brilliant job of getting firms to commit to sell like heck... from a business standpoint; it’s brilliant because Apple gets paid either way.

China Mobile can hold out, but for how long? And the other regions (India), I think Apple is growing rather well, not Android well but moving devices and all that comes with it.

Sometimes I wonder why this message board is called “...bbry, I buy shares”... what’s the point of talking about Apple getting paid $14bn by Verizon for sales short fall when what we really need are more BBRY device sales. Apple has engineered things so they get paid... something BBRY needs to do.

Speaking of off topic... the t-mobile news is pretty interesting from a consumer standpoint.
    07-10-13 03:32 PM
    Supe..... Believe it or not, we, as a whole, kept it pretty cool with the exception of a couple of knee jerk reactions. The majority of the "offending" posts have been deleted so you can't see for yourself but I'd say it was pretty laid back on the "local" front. I'm not excusing, but explaining.
    Ok, can't juge on what I can't see ... But guys, let's not superpose troubles and problems.
    That's easy. So let's stick to it. We're adults, isn't it ?
    07-10-13 03:33 PM
    Be well, Morgan.

I don't what to say about this stock. Is this stock in a bigger wedge pattern (blue lines)? Is this stock forming a round bottom? Is this stock forming an inverse head and shoulders (orange line)? So I put Morgan's full quote below, and repeat this one: "This stock is easier to push down than up but 300,000,000 plus shares have traded down here and those buyers are looking for a rally. Who will win is yet to be decided. Key-reversal please!"

Those people, who continue to push this stock down could go to hell. And if you like Blackberry, but want to buy at a lower price to start a new position or add to your existing one, then you ought to change your mindset, because going lower is not good.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-10-4.25.58-pm.jpg

I'm heading out the door but I do want to say thank you for all of the kind words!

I know the stock is getting dragged down here and there is nothing that we can do right now. I guess we can hope for a key-reversal later in the day as we have hit new lows on this sell-off. I doubt the news of the VP Sales guy getting dumped is a negative considering the PR team of 16 years got the boot too. This stock is easier to push down than up but 300,000,000 plus shares have traded down here and those buyers are looking for a rally. Who will win is yet to be decided. Key-reversal please!
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-07-10-4.25.58-pm.jpg  
    07-10-13 03:33 PM
    Verizon had to pay up to get the iPhone, remember in 2009/2010, At&t was taking customers away from Verizon due to the exclusivity...

Apple did a brilliant job of getting firms to commit to sell like heck... from a business standpoint; it’s brilliant because Apple gets paid either way.

China Mobile can hold out, but for how long? And the other regions (India), I think Apple is growing rather well, not Android well but moving devices and all that comes with it.

Sometimes I wonder why this message board is called “...bbry, I buy shares”... what’s the point of talking about Apple getting paid $14bn by Verizon for sales short fall when what we really need are more BBRY device sales. Apple has engineered things so they get paid... something BBRY needs to do.

Speaking of off topic... the t-mobile news is pretty interesting from a consumer standpoint.
    We include what the competition is up to and how they are affected as it's the same industry and has a direct impact on the stock at hand. This last article is a perfect example. During the AGM, TH said it's hard to get prominent space when the dollars are easier to get with the "other fruit". This article actually backs that up and adds another dynamic. If I thought my company was on the hook for billions of dollars in unfulfilled commitments, I'd sure as heck put those devices first and foremost to minimize loss.
    07-10-13 03:42 PM
    Short interest increased 1.8 million shares.
    Settlement Date Short Interest Avg Daily Share Volume Days To Cover
    6/28/2013 184,415,558 34,327,981 5.372164
    6/14/2013 182,600,339 19,423,612 9.400947
    07-10-13 03:48 PM
    Wow... I totally forgot to look at those numbers. It only includes up to the 28th so it will be interesting to see it in two weeks
    kfh227 likes this.
    07-10-13 03:51 PM

It just questions the "support" they would give to BBRY, knowing well that a contractual obligation to the competition needs to be fulfilled first.
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and spike12 like this.
    07-10-13 03:51 PM
    WTF? Is there still even any share available to short? 1.8 million share increased, and the fall is this massive? Have shorts covered at all? Some party must have bought a lot of the stock in the past 9 trading days then. Does anyone have any insight on any institution or individual, whose position increased?

Short interest increased 1.8 million shares.
    Settlement Date Short Interest Avg Daily Share Volume Days To Cover
    6/28/2013 184,415,558 34,327,981 5.372164
    6/14/2013 182,600,339 19,423,612 9.400947
    spike12 likes this.
    07-10-13 03:55 PM
    It just questions the "support" they would give to BBRY, knowing well that a contractual obligation to the competition needs to be fulfilled first.
    That is only the one side of the equation - it's easy to blame the carriers on that basis - but the other side and the bit which is hidden is how much the OEM is willing to put up, take samsung - the carriers promote Samsung's devices not only because they sell well but because Samsung throws money at advertising and marketing generally and to support the carrier - it's a bit of a no-brainer to put your might behind Samsung when you know that for every dollar you spend, they will be spending three. That's just good business.

However the flip to that is that the rather lackluster campaign we are seeing in North America might be an unspoken admission that they have effectively lost that market - now the CEO can't come and say that but the company can indicate it via its action and by targeting markets where they still have a stronghold and there is possible growth.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-10-13 04:00 PM
    From someone who was actually there to observe what that was: it was merely his hand whacking the microphone accidentally. He did it a few times and it was partly annoying and partly humorous. No big deal... possibly a sign of some degree of passion, but not this apparently classic European podium-thumping. ;-)
    Ahhhh but zee spin meisters will make into something much, much bigger me thinks.
    cjcampbell and zyben like this.
    07-10-13 04:02 PM
    Hi,

Came across this article of general interest about Apple apps:
    : Majority of Apple apps are duds | SmartPlanet

Keep moving.
    07-10-13 04:06 PM
    As it was asked yesterday in the AGM, BBRY needs to really push in markets like India and China. Huge gains to be made there especially if there's a right partnership with a local company to help push/production.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-13 04:08 PM
    That is only the one side of the equation - it's easy to blame the carriers on that basis - but the other side and the bit which is hidden is how much the OEM is willing to put up, take samsung - the carriers promote Samsung's devices not only because they sell well but because Samsung throws money at advertising and marketing generally and to support the carrier - it's a bit of a no-brainer to put your might behind Samsung when you know that for every dollar you spend, they will be spending three. That's just good business.

However the flip to that is that the rather lackluster campaign we are seeing in North America might be an unspoken admission that they have effectively lost that market - now the CEO can't come and say that but the company can indicate it via its action and by targeting markets where they still have a stronghold and there is possible growth.
    Possibly but I don't think so, personally. If they had written off the US market, why fire their lead US sales guy? They also need to have a presence in order to continue with enterprise, assuming that they still want devices there and not just BES. A whole market that has discounted a company for a while is not going to turn around in a mere 3 months, which is actually more than the sales period for the last Q
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-13 04:08 PM
    I think the shorts' plan A to close their position is to actively wait for bbry to go bankrupt. There is no way they could exist their position without causing a short squeeze to some degree.
    07-10-13 04:12 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for this.

Keep moving.
    The majority of apps in Apple’s App Store are flops, new figures show.

Analytics firm Adeven has labelled 65 percent of nearly 900,000 Apple apps as “zombies” that people rarely download, according to research seen by the BBC.

“We can’t say exactly how many downloads they (the zombies) have - Apple doesn’t reveal this - but it is very small,” Adeven said. A total of 579,001 apps out of the 888,856 that Adeven tracks in Apple’s U.S. store fit the walking dead category.

Apple has reported that users download nearly 90 percent of all its apps at least once a month. CEO Tim Cook recently said that users have downloaded a staggering 50 billion apps since the 2008 launch of the App Store, which is celebrating its fifth birthday. The company claims to have paid $10 billion to app developers, an amount that it notes is triple what any rival has paid.

Many app vendors, including electronic games publishers, give away apps for free and count on revenue from “in-app sales” and merchandising.

As they take their wares to a marketplace full of duds, they would be wise to ponder the Brechtian question: “Suppose they gave an app and nobody came?”
    cjcampbell, JLagoon and rarsen like this.
    07-10-13 04:15 PM

I guess we have to listen to the language he used....
    "It is really a challenge in the U.S."
    "... it’s a very, very competitive market."
    "...it is hard to convince them [carriers] to not go where the perk is, to go where the perk is going to be..."
    "U.S. is the most difficult challenging country..."

What I hear is ....
    "There is no way we are going to break the Samsung/Apple fortress in the next 12-18 months. Apple has the carriers by the ***** and Samsung is throwing around tons of money so we have to work our way in through the corporate/government/M2M door in the US market."
    07-10-13 04:21 PM
    Hi,

Keep moving.
    Now there is a marketing angle. present the AAPL Appstore as full of Zombies and the google play store as full of Monsters that steal your data. then show a BB10 device getting stuff done!
    07-10-13 04:24 PM
    Short interest increased again, wtf is going on.

I have no idea what to expect anymore with the stock... BB as a company I think is going to survive but this stock is completley ****ed up. If anything, we should have had a strong push up from Q4 since expectations where destroyed and beat! Although I plan to hold on for a while, I really can't understand the stock price right now and the short interest. I hope there is a partnership or something big soon, if this goes down to 6 bux I'll cry.

Oh, and best of luck Mr. Morgan
    spike12, bungaboy, take99 and 3 others like this.
    07-10-13 04:31 PM
    A little OT but related to BBRY's industry nonetheless. I apologize if this has been posted earlier.

It seems like BBRY's biggest US carrier supporter Verizon, is having trouble selling the "other fruit's" phones as well. Someone got strong armed here. Hopefully they've learned their lesson but a very big price to pay though.

International carriers seems to be shying away from the tactics of the other fruit company.

Verizon Seen Owing Apple Up to $14 Billion for IPhones
    By Olga Kharif - Jul 10, 2013 9:35 AM PT

Verizon Wireless may end up owing Apple Inc. (AAPL) as much as $14 billion in purchase commitments over time if the mobile carrier fails to sell an agreed number of iPhones, a report from Moffett Research LLC said.

Under a multiyear deal signed with Apple in 2010, Verizon Wireless is obligated to buy $23.5 billion worth of iPhones in 2013 alone, according to Craig Moffett, a telecommunications analyst who left Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. earlier this year to start his own research firm. Since the purchase commitment is more than twice what Verizon Wireless sold in 2012, the company may have a shortfall of $12 billion to $14 billion, worth $4 to $5 per share, Moffett said in the report.

The report suggests sluggish demand for the iPhone, which accounts for about half of Apple�s sales. Other wireless providers around the world may be experiencing iPhone sales deficits as well, Moffett said. The sales shortfall bolsters analysts� projection for Apple to report a 22 percent decline in net income to $6.87 billion in the third fiscal quarter, according to the average of estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

�It is likely that Apple would be reluctant to simply ignore these commitments, since many other carriers around the world are probably in a similar situation, and a simple amnesty would set an unwanted precedent,� Moffett wrote. �It is therefore unrealistic to think that Apple won�t extract some consideration for renegotiating these shortfalls.�

Trudy Muller, a spokeswoman for Apple, and Brenda Raney, a spokeswoman for Verizon Wireless, declined to comment on Verizon�s iPhone purchase commitments.
    Sprint Commitments

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S), which began selling iPhones in 2011, will probably be able to meet its commitment to buy $15.5 billion worth of iPhones over four years �barring any hiccup in Sprint�s rate of handset sales or the popularity of the iPhone,� Moffett said.

Scott Sloat, a spokesman for Sprint, didn�t have an immediate response.

Verizon and Sprint�s contractual obligations with Apple may be the reason why some carriers are holding out on partnering with the Cupertino, California-based company, Moffett said.

Apple has announced fewer than a dozen new wireless-service providers to sell iPhones since September 2011, leaving the total at about 240. Many carriers balk at working with Apple because of the conditions it imposes. Holdouts include China Mobile Ltd. (941), the world�s biggest phone company, as well as carriers in countries such as Japan, India and Russia, representing billions of potential customers.

Verizon Seen Owing Apple Up to $14 Billion for IPhones - Bloomberg
    Now I understand why Verizon and the other US carriers did everything in their power to delay and slow BlackBerry down. They are on the hook for billions and they will continue to lose billions.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 04:35 PM
    Short interest increased again, wtf is going on.

I have no idea what to expect anymore with the stock... BB as a company I think is going to survive but this stock is completley ****ed up. If anything, we should have had a strong push up from Q4 since expectations where destroyed and beat! Although I plan to hold on for a while, I really can't understand the stock price right now and the short interest. I hope there is a partnership or something big soon, if this goes down to 6 bux I'll cry.

Oh, and best of luck Mr. Morgan
    Same thoughts except crying now. Paper lost getting bigger. No good news like q10 figures, BES or DOD update is hurting. Not sure how low this will go.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 04:49 PM
    Was just at bestbuy mobile in Scarborough, Ontario.

Asked the nice gentleman about sales. His response was simply - "not as good as everyone was expecting".

Business users still gravitate towards it however consumers on the whole not really. I also checked the device and noticed it hasnt been updated to 10.1 yet. The software notification is on, i tried to update it myself but they required a password to unlock the demo to do it. At least security works.

The sales man said the BB10 was still a bit buggy and apps pale in comparison to other platforms.

Unfortunate really to hear this. This mall is rather high traffic (scarvorough town centre) however one store doesnt mean a whole lot but just thought i would share my recent info dig.

Btw the gentleman did not seem at all against bbry, he told me he personally is holding on to his 9900 and WAS waiting on the q10 but now is unsure.

Hopefully our vision for a future more polished and matured ecosystem comes to fruition because i still believe bbry has the best ui to date. (the sales person reciprocated this feeling as well).

Have a great evening you all.

Cheers!

P. S - played with the z10 while in there, still see so much potential, a future ui polishing and app maturing will yield lots of growth im almost certain.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using CB Forums mobile app
    07-10-13 04:54 PM
113,256 ... 15181519152015211522 ...