View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Statcounter has become an incredibly unreliable resource, due to clearly impossible data regarding BB share, in Canada, UK and now USA.
    Have they not gotten back to you after you inquired about the suspicious results?

I'd wait until I heard back before throwing the book at them, or anyone here...
    07-10-13 01:49 PM
    Gohan:

I see your point on the negative sentiment but it’s getting a little more difficult to see the BBRY news as anything but positive. When you’ve been beaten down in marketshare, mindshare and colleagues are being shed it gets tough to press the buy button.

People keep mentioning how the company grew their cash base... firing the people is a great way to keep expenses down (grow/maintain cash) and make the business more appealing for a takeover.

I don’t even know what core business BBRY is in these days besides phones as a consumer.
    Generally speaking is where I was coming from. I do justify the firing of this particular individual but I would think cutting many jobs in general is not a good sign for any company.
    07-10-13 01:53 PM
    There have been no "good news."

The only "good news" have been irrelevant, misleading or empty statements from BBRY themselves.

Hardware makes up 70% of revenues. BB10 is the new platform. The only relevant news, therefore, is the number of BB10 sold. The shorts knew about the poor numbers. Some analysts even put them out there for the small investors. Many chose not to believe them but to belive the misleading statements from TH.

There is no conspiracy.

As you can see clearly that BlackBerry is under a massive corporate attack. What's positive for everyone else is negative for BlackBerry. Good news and the stock goes down. No news and the stock goes down. Bad news is very bad news . I have never seen such blatant and open bashing of a company in my life. They spin almost every thing into a negative.

Posted via CB10
    sakin13 likes this.
    07-10-13 01:54 PM
    Massive layoffs.
    No one said that they would be massive. Typical media just making up a story if they don't know the truth.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 01:59 PM
    Ok, folks, I know we're getting kind of heated up again. Discussion of a topic is one thing, but let's not get loose on calling anyone liars, names, or Bickering in general. Also getting a bit enthusiastic on the report button, again. Lets be reasonable folks. Thanks, you're now re-opened.
    07-10-13 02:23 PM
    Appreciate your opinion. However, accusing CJ of lying I think would be a serious accusation.
    The accusation has received a proportionate moderator response.

[warn] Debate the products and services, and in this case stock buying and selling. DO NOT discuss the other members unless you want to acquire some infraction points, and in the case of repeated infractions some free time away from the forums.[/warn]

EDIT (I forgot something):
    [warn]... and STAY ON TOPIC or we will consider the heavy handed infraction for deliberate disruptive posting. That allows two strikes followed by a timeout... [/warn]

Please remember, it takes more clicks (moderator effort) to clean up a post and hand out warnings than it needs to award a temporary or permanent ban. This thread is taking a disproportionate level of effort to keep it alive, and patience is fast becoming exhausted. If the easy solution is to remove disruptive posters we will consider the overall benefit to the forums ahead of individual members.

Now it is time to hand out some more infractions.
    07-10-13 02:24 PM
    No one said that they would be massive. Typical media just making up a story if they don't know the truth.

Posted via CB10
    OK. I admit that I may have exaggerated.
    07-10-13 02:24 PM
    is there any updates if kevin had a private interview with TH or not?
    07-10-13 02:26 PM
    Ok, folks, I know we're getting kind of heated up again. Discussion of a topic is one thing, but let's not get loose on calling anyone liars, names, or Bickering in general. Also getting a bit enthusiastic on the report button, again. Lets be reasonable folks. Thanks, you're now re-opened.
    Had a heart-attack. This thread is awesome!

Professionalism folks - all opinions matter!

Cheers!
    07-10-13 02:32 PM
    Cool Instablog: Thorsten Heins Speak In Waterloo, Our Takeaway - Tufenk - Seeking Alpha

"While listening -we encourage you to listen-to BBRY CEO Thorsten Heins give his presentation, we heard a thumping noise when he had the ever so slight inclination in his voice. He is not an emotional speaker by any stretch of the imagination. However, the thumping seems to be his hand pounding against the podium from which he was speaking. We are told by Europeans that the hand pounding or thumping is a sign of extreme conviction and therefore must conclude Thorsten meant what he said sincerely."

The author discusses Thorsten's delivery of the AGM, very interesting.
    07-10-13 02:37 PM
    is there any updates if kevin had a private interview with TH or not?
    Nothing that I've heard and probably wouldn't count on anything more than a "I've spoken with TH and he has listened to our concerns" type of message. Kevin still has to play the politics game being in the position he is in.
    07-10-13 02:39 PM
    thats a shame, was looking forward to a response
    07-10-13 02:42 PM
    Cool Instablog: Thorsten Heins Speak In Waterloo, Our Takeaway - Tufenk - Seeking Alpha

"While listening -we encourage you to listen-to BBRY CEO Thorsten Heins give his presentation, we heard a thumping noise when he had the ever so slight inclination in his voice. He is not an emotional speaker by any stretch of the imagination. However, the thumping seems to be his hand pounding against the podium from which he was speaking. We are told by Europeans that the hand pounding or thumping is a sign of extreme conviction and therefore must conclude Thorsten meant what he said sincerely."

The author discusses Thorsten's delivery of the AGM, very interesting.
    Let's assume this is true then who else has done this in the past?
    07-10-13 02:47 PM
    thats a shame, was looking forward to a response
    I could very well be wrong but that's how I would expect it to go down. Kevin may have been told what's in the pipeline as far as device updates and such but he'd have to keep that under wraps until official. Maybe some small hints here and there but that's it as far as I would guess. As for the investor part, we are but a small portion of the members on this site and of the ones that filled out that survey. If it hasn't hit the news networks, or other popular investor channels, I can't see CB getting the inside scoop. Again, just my opinion and could very well be wrong.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-13 02:49 PM
    I think it's the fact that he's German through and through. Certain actions and gestures have more meaning in some cultures and this is simply one read on that point.
    Bugmapper and spike12 like this.
    07-10-13 02:50 PM
    uhhh ... I hope you don't mean what I understand.
    07-10-13 02:59 PM
    I think it's the fact that he's German through and through. Certain actions and gestures have more meaning in some cultures and this is simply one read on that point.
    I heard the pounding on the podium during the speech - it gave me a smile - but it took that article to really make it clear in my mind why I like Thor. It's because I think he is "old school", German, traditional, whatever you want to call it. In public he is polite and professional, but I don't think I'd want to get into an argument with him behind closed doors. Not that he is abusive or anything... just that he is absolutely sure about what must be done and he does it. He is not perfect by any means - but at least he is not wishy-washy about making tough decisions, or even admitting that a plan was not working and killing it.
    07-10-13 02:59 PM
    Had a heart-attack. This thread is awesome!

Professionalism folks - all opinions matter!

Cheers!
    I agree with you, I want to hear both sides of the story. All opinions should be voiced, you can choose whether to take it in or not.

If someone's opinion grinds your gears then whack them on ignore.

My personal take on the jobs thing. I am currently in the middle of a turn around. The reason why a company needs one is because the market has changed and you have to adapt.

Some of the staff that excelled in the pre turnaround company will not do well during the transition because they have different skill sets. This means that you will have to change some of your workforce.

Add on top of this that a large company like blackberry, will have some deadweight, these are the people who cost more than they produce and need to go to make things more efficient.

Then you have the businesses you are phasing out and the ones you are phasing in. Again I would expect to see a gradual phase out of BlackBerry 7 and related staff, at the same time increasing bb10 staff, BBM staff, etc.

I agree that if you are just cutting staff to save costs there is the danger that you will fail to execute and deliver.

Like everything it is a fine balancing act, which IS CONTINUALLY GOING ON. If BlackBerry were not doing this I would be worried. When I heard the news today I thought it was good news. There is always a negative spin on things.

To me it seems as though BlackBerry have a detailed plan which they put together while they were developing the OS and now they are executing it. The question is was the plan at the beginning good enough, quick enough, etc?

Posted via CB10
    Compaqee, bungaboy, jxnb and 1 others like this.
    07-10-13 03:04 PM
    Nothing that I've heard and probably wouldn't count on anything more than a "I've spoken with TH and he has listened to our concerns" type of message. Kevin still has to play the politics game being in the position he is in.
    He has posted interviews with Thor before, but maybe not this time. I'd be happy knowing that our collective concerns and kudos were transmitted by Kevin to the Management team. I doubt there is much for Thor to say back to us right now anyway.
    07-10-13 03:04 PM
    A little OT but related to BBRY's industry nonetheless. I apologize if this has been posted earlier.

It seems like BBRY's biggest US carrier supporter Verizon, is having trouble selling the "other fruit's" phones as well. Someone got strong armed here. Hopefully they've learned their lesson but a very big price to pay though.

International carriers seems to be shying away from the tactics of the other fruit company.

Verizon Seen Owing Apple Up to $14 Billion for IPhones
    By Olga Kharif - Jul 10, 2013 9:35 AM PT

Verizon Wireless may end up owing Apple Inc. (AAPL) as much as $14 billion in purchase commitments over time if the mobile carrier fails to sell an agreed number of iPhones, a report from Moffett Research LLC said.

Under a multiyear deal signed with Apple in 2010, Verizon Wireless is obligated to buy $23.5 billion worth of iPhones in 2013 alone, according to Craig Moffett, a telecommunications analyst who left Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. earlier this year to start his own research firm. Since the purchase commitment is more than twice what Verizon Wireless sold in 2012, the company may have a shortfall of $12 billion to $14 billion, worth $4 to $5 per share, Moffett said in the report.

The report suggests sluggish demand for the iPhone, which accounts for about half of Apple’s sales. Other wireless providers around the world may be experiencing iPhone sales deficits as well, Moffett said. The sales shortfall bolsters analysts’ projection for Apple to report a 22 percent decline in net income to $6.87 billion in the third fiscal quarter, according to the average of estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

“It is likely that Apple would be reluctant to simply ignore these commitments, since many other carriers around the world are probably in a similar situation, and a simple amnesty would set an unwanted precedent,” Moffett wrote. “It is therefore unrealistic to think that Apple won’t extract some consideration for renegotiating these shortfalls.”

Trudy Muller, a spokeswoman for Apple, and Brenda Raney, a spokeswoman for Verizon Wireless, declined to comment on Verizon’s iPhone purchase commitments.
    Sprint Commitments

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S), which began selling iPhones in 2011, will probably be able to meet its commitment to buy $15.5 billion worth of iPhones over four years “barring any hiccup in Sprint’s rate of handset sales or the popularity of the iPhone,” Moffett said.

Scott Sloat, a spokesman for Sprint, didn’t have an immediate response.

Verizon and Sprint’s contractual obligations with Apple may be the reason why some carriers are holding out on partnering with the Cupertino, California-based company, Moffett said.

Apple has announced fewer than a dozen new wireless-service providers to sell iPhones since September 2011, leaving the total at about 240. Many carriers balk at working with Apple because of the conditions it imposes. Holdouts include China Mobile Ltd. (941), the world’s biggest phone company, as well as carriers in countries such as Japan, India and Russia, representing billions of potential customers.

Verizon Seen Owing Apple Up to $14 Billion for IPhones - Bloomberg
    bungaboy, spike12, CDM76 and 8 others like this.
    07-10-13 03:09 PM
    I'd love this post to be edited or even removed. These evocations are - sorry - OT and quite offending, even with
    Do you mind doing it by yourself ? Thanks !
    Done my friend =).
    07-10-13 03:09 PM
    Holly cow guys ...
    I leave the room to - try to - work and earn some pennies and when I come back ...
    I know times are tough and nerves excited. But if you can't handle your testosterone, please have a walk and quit the conversation for a moment.

That's a pity mods have to spend their *volunteer* time to clean the mess.
    Keep your tongues clean, gentlemen. And conversations on topic.

And yes, I'm ...
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-7443174-un-homme-en-colere-et-ventilation-fumee-de-ses-oreilles-dans-une-expression-classique-pa.jpg  
    plane6065, Bugmapper and CDM76 like this.
    07-10-13 03:10 PM
    However, the thumping seems to be his hand pounding against the podium from which he was speaking. [B]We are told by Europeans that the hand pounding or thumping is a sign of extreme conviction and
    From someone who was actually there to observe what that was: it was merely his hand whacking the microphone accidentally. He did it a few times and it was partly annoying and partly humorous. No big deal... possibly a sign of some degree of passion, but not this apparently classic European podium-thumping. ;-)
    07-10-13 03:16 PM
    Supe..... Believe it or not, we, as a whole, kept it pretty cool with the exception of a couple of knee jerk reactions. The majority of the "offending" posts have been deleted so you can't see for yourself but I'd say it was pretty laid back on the "local" front. I'm not excusing, but explaining.
    bungaboy, plane6065 and CDM76 like this.
    07-10-13 03:18 PM
    Holly cow guys ...
    I leave the room to - try to - work and earn some pennies and when I come back ...
    I know times are tough and nerves excited. But if you can't handle your testosterone, please have a walk and quit the conversation for a moment.

That's a pity mods have to spend their *volunteer* time to clean the mess.
    Keep your tongues clean, gentlemen. And conversations on topic.

And yes, I'm ...
    There are three sides to every story. Yours. theirs and . . . . . the truth. LoL
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-10-13 03:21 PM
113,250 ... 15171518151915201521 ...