View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Spoken like an employee. Some of us don't go to work just to punch a clock. Some of us have pride in our work and self worth. Some of us thrive on competition and challenges. Some of us like confrontation and laughing in the face of the naysayers.
    That's precisely the quality that I look for when hiring people, more important than possession of specific skills - no joke.
    07-10-13 11:09 AM
    At this point Blackberry has to compromise between employees, advertising and maintaining production.

This gets to be a tuff choice at times, it is what the people behind closed doors are paid to do.
    07-10-13 11:17 AM
    I wasn’t impressed with yesterday’s close and today’s price action is sad.

I don’t want to be a broken record but charts using things like RSI, Stoch, CCI etc which show overbought/oversold levels are a quick way to lose money. A stock can stay in than extreme range for a long time or give plenty of false signals. Technical analysis is great for entry & exits points once the fundamentals shape up... we’re still waiting for fundamentals...

While the AGM was useful for the faithful, the market was already sour on the name. The one telling thing for me was the question on partnerships... and the fact that none were mentioned.

My fears are now related to the carriers providing earnings and giving insight into actual BBRY sales.... the proverbial other shoe to drop.
    07-10-13 11:18 AM
    Spoken like an employee. Some of us don't go to work just to punch a clock. Some of us have pride in our work and self worth. Some of us thrive on competition and challenges. Some of us like confrontation and laughing in the face of the naysayers.

If you want to go through life doing everything halfway, that's your choice, and I'm glad you're NOT a BlackBerry employee.
    That all sounds very noble but many employees are just glad to have a job, period. They thrive on feeding their family!
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-10-13 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Edited language
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-10-13 11:19 AM
    I wasn’t impressed with yesterday’s close and today’s price action is sad.

I don’t want to be a broken record but charts using things like RSI, Stoch, CCI etc which show overbought/oversold levels are a quick way to lose money. A stock can stay in than extreme range for a long time or give plenty of false signals. Technical analysis is great for entry & exits points once the fundamentals shape up... we’re still waiting for fundamentals...

While the AGM was useful for the faithful, the market was already sour on the name. The one telling thing for me was the question on partnerships... and the fact that none were mentioned.

My fears are now related to the carriers providing earnings and giving insight into actual BBRY sales.... the proverbial other shoe to drop.
    It was always going to be a fight for Blackberry to come back, now it looks like they are fighting for survival.

I still think they can do it with good choices in their future!
    sparkaction likes this.
    07-10-13 11:20 AM
    That's precisely the quality that I look for when hiring people, more important than possession of specific skills - no joke.
    I hire based on:

1) Handshake. They have to have a firm handshake and look you directly in the eye while doing it. If the handshake is like a wet piece of bread, they do not get to Step 2.

2) Volunteer work. Have they volunteered their time to help others, help organizations, etc. while in high school, university, etc.

3) Summer jobs. Did they work summer jobs or hang on the beach?

4) Sports. Did/do they participate in competitive sports. Show me they can make an effort to compete.

5) Attitude. If they have the right attitude I can teach them how to do their job.

6) References. Not just from employers either.
    07-10-13 11:23 AM
    They thrive on feeding their family!
    Family first, of course.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-13 11:27 AM
    That all sounds very noble but many employees are just glad to have a job, period. They thrive on feeding their family!
    Yes, but its keeping and progressing in the "job" that keeps the food on the table. ANYONE can "get" a job. Only those who do well keep them and progress.

We don't keep employees around here, just so "they can keep food on the table". We keep employees around here so our buisness and in relation, our employees can grow
    bungaboy and Rimrocks like this.
    07-10-13 11:35 AM
    I just want someone who gets the job done - not being a sociopath or suffering from weird desire to worship corporations like they have some religious significance or expect others to do the same, I expect nothing more than what I pay for... and why should I?

I worry when people speaking with pride about how extra hours they do for a corp for free...

But that might just my working class British roots speaking...
    07-10-13 11:41 AM
    Layoffs are always unwelcome no matter if you’re in the top 5 or bottom 10% of an organization. Even when you’re doing an excellent job, seeing round after round of colleagues go will take a toll especially when you don’t have a golden parachute like TH.

I understand a certain amount of culling has to be done but we’re getting less and less positive news from the company (with less visibility) and that’s now being reflected in the stock price. With all the cash BBRY will be around, but at this rate potential non-bbry buyers will see headlines of the company’s death before they see a positive advert.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-10-13 11:58 AM
    since when are layoffs bad for a company? all it shows, BB is on the ball, but of course the shorters will tell you anything to further their cause, this is getting old...
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-13 11:59 AM
    Layoffs are always unwelcome no matter if you�re in the top 5 or bottom 10% of an organization. Even when you�re doing an excellent job, seeing round after round of colleagues go will take a toll especially when you don�t have a golden parachute like TH.
    But if you are HP and about to cut 10% of your staff, then according to Jim Suva, the opportunity is golden.

Citi�s Jim Suva, who increased his rating on H-P to Buy from Sell, examined the computer hardware manufacturer�s cost-cutting efforts and thinks H-P itself is underestimating its own effects. Suva anticipates the $3 billion that H-P is targeting in cost-savings will start to be felt in the second half of this year, and it will continue to add a boost to earnings in 2014 and 2015. To accomplish this, H-P plans to fire 10% of its workforce, some 29,000 employees to help achieve this cost-cutting.
    Why Hewlett-Packard Could Vault 30% To $33 A Share - Forbes
    bungaboy and silversun10 like this.
    07-10-13 12:10 PM
    I hire based on:

1) Handshake. They have to have a firm handshake and look you directly in the eye while doing it. If the handshake is like a wet piece of bread, they do not get to Step 2.

2) Volunteer work. Have they volunteered their time to help others, help organizations, etc. while in high school, university, etc.

3) Summer jobs. Did they work summer jobs or hang on the beach?

4) Sports. Did/do they participate in competitive sports. Show me they can make an effort to compete.

5) Attitude. If they have the right attitude I can teach them how to do their job.

6) References. Not just from employers either.
    I think this is all relative in terms of every person. I mean from my perspective it goes:

I Interview Based On:
    1. Resume: In 3 seconds can I look at your resume and decide it's worthwhile reading
    2. Education: Have you gone to school, made an effort to do anything to stand out.
    3. Work Experience: Did you get summer jobs & have you made an effort to learn at these jobs. Is experience relevant to position or not.
    4. Volunteer/References/Extra Curriculars: Not important for me to interview you as I will learn if I choose you.

However I Hire based on:
    1. Attitude: Am I going to kill myself after working with you? Are you interesting? Do we get along? Do you plan on coasting or can I see that you are here to work hard?
    2. Experience: Love to see what the experience was truly like, did they learn or make an effort to learn more. Did you do just the days basic job or did you ask for more. That will tell you what kind of worker someone is.
    3. Education & Future Education: Planning on a CPA/CFA or any designation. I don't want to hire someone who has chosen at 25-35 they don't need or want to pursue more learning. I'm not hiring only someone for my own needs but the company long term. Human Intelligence is huge.
    4. Extra Curriculars: Are you boring or do you have some substance. No one wants an employee they can't have a beer with after work or have a conversation with at lunch.

Again it is all relevant to industry too. I mean accounts love to see extra curriculars, but in finance they could care less and it takes up space on that 1 page resume.
    07-10-13 12:11 PM
    I just want someone who gets the job done - not being a sociopath or suffering from weird desire to worship corporations like they have some religious significance or expect others to do the same, I expect nothing more than what I pay for... and why should I?

I worry when people speaking with pride about how extra hours they do for a corp for free...

But that might just my working class British roots speaking...
    it's the extra work that distinguishes one from settling in a company (nothing wrong with that) vs someone who wants to succeed and progress.

You know when you hire someone if they want to stay put or move up. Expectations are set where they belong once you hire then.
    plasmid_boy, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    07-10-13 12:13 PM
    since when are layoffs bad for a company? all it shows, BB is on the ball, but of course the shorters will tell you anything to further their cause, this is getting old...
    What's getting old is people not seeing both sides of every story.

Laying off as a result of lost cash or a need to save money isn't a good story no matter how you spin it. Laying off as the company no longer needs the assets (less emphasis on handsets or maketing or w/e it is) sure that's fine and shows they are focusing on the core.

If I worked for a company that was constantly laying off as a way to save costs because the company is performing poorly you are damn right I'd be concerned and leave. Why stress out about your job because the company can't afford you.
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    07-10-13 12:18 PM
    Last I heard CEO said I am here to create JOBS. I listened the entire conference. what I am hearing today in the press is total BS. not even remotely close. this kind of BS and spin offs, are scary IMO.
    bungaboy and jxnb like this.
    07-10-13 12:23 PM

That's probably all that employers can expect from their employees. However, for certains jobs (like my group) 'getting the job done' requires much more than simply punching in the hours. Getting things done in my group require exhausting brain power and the only thing that provide the energy to keep us going at it is our passion for what we do. Lacking that and we are destined to fail. I had worked for free on occasions since my childhood (logging 15 hrs days sometimes). Not for worshiping corporations and such, but rather testing my ability and the enjoyment of making something real. Base on my experience, this kind of passion are more frequently found in people with certain characteristics, as AngryEdmontonian and BungaBoy pointed out.
    BlackistheBerry and Rimrocks like this.
    07-10-13 12:26 PM
    The thing that bothers me the most is that the company should have been able to predict the negative spin and dealt with it at the AGM. There was even a question about the poor sales performance in the USA. TH could have used the opportunity to put a positive spin on the release of the VP sales and minimize the noise that was coming.

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    07-10-13 12:43 PM
    A glimmer of hope in the US market? Let's go 10.1 & 10.2! I heard AT&T has got their 10.1 out?

According to this forum: BB10 OS 10.1 Update - Page 2 - AT&T Community Support

"Re: BB10 OS 10.1 Update
    Post Options
    07-09-2013 09:18:20 AM

My BB 10.1.0.2019 showed up about an hour ago for my Z10. 329MB and I am in the Indy area. Hopefully everyone else got theirs today as well. It's about time!"

Just need Verizon and the rest of the gang!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-10-13 12:43 PM
    07-10-13 01:02 PM
    What's getting old is people not seeing both sides of every story.
    Gohan:

I see your point on the negative sentiment but it’s getting a little more difficult to see the BBRY news as anything but positive. When you’ve been beaten down in marketshare, mindshare and colleagues are being shed it gets tough to press the buy button.

People keep mentioning how the company grew their cash base... firing the people is a great way to keep expenses down (grow/maintain cash) and make the business more appealing for a takeover.

I don’t even know what core business BBRY is in these days besides phones as a consumer.
    07-10-13 01:10 PM
    Fact:

Statscounter shows Blackberry as being either 1st, 2nd, or a clear 3rd in terms of internet traffic in the following countries:

Anguilla
    Antigua
    Aruba
    Barbados
    Bermuda
    Canada
    Cayman Islands
    Colombia
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Grenada
    Guatemala
    Guyana
    Honduras
    Jamaica
    Montserrat
    Dutch Antilles
    Saint Kitts
    Saint Lucia
    St. Vincent
    South Africa
    Suriname
    Trinidad
    Turks and Caicos
    United Kingdom
    Venezuela

Also very significant, yet in fourth place, in many other countries such as Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, UAE, Equador etc.

And also in 3rd place (albeit distant 3rd) in the United States of America.

Yeah, there are some wacky blips along the way. So what. I doubt all the data from around the world is being hacked by Blackberry executives to make a handful of retail investors hold onto their shares. Statscounter is only good for trends, not absolute values.... and I like some of the trends I am seeing.

Done.
    Last edited by Bugmapper; 07-10-13 at 01:44 PM.
    07-10-13 01:32 PM
    TH yesterday:

For the marketing question, it is short-term oriented. I mean I am not giving you any news about how many short-sellers we have in our stock. And I also question that philosophy a bit frankly because I'm here to build something with my team. I'm here to maintain and build a second-phase innovative company for Canada and for North America. I am here to return profits to shareholders. I'm here with my team to create jobs and not to destroy jobs, all right? And we’ve got to get through this. And we got to get through this and I am wearing a new suit but it’s not made of Kevlar, so I can still take the punches but we will have to continue to take punches. This is not going to be an easy path.

News today:
    BlackBerry plans more layoffs, fired U.S. sales chief -- report
    The ailing smartphone maker is eyeing additional layoffs beyond the 5,000 announced during its previous fiscal year, says The Wall Street Journal.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-10-13 01:33 PM
    Fact:

Statscounter shows Blackberry as being either 1st, 2nd, or a clear 3rd in terms of internet traffic in the following countries.

Anguilla
    Antigua
    Aruba
    Barbados
    Bermuda
    Canada
    Cayman Islands
    Colombia
    Dominican Republic
    Grenada
    Guyana
    Honduras
    Jamaica
    Montserrat
    Dutch Antilles
    Saint Kitts
    Saint Lucia
    St. Vincent
    South Africa
    Suriname
    Trinidad
    Turks and Caicos
    United Kingdom
    Venezuela

Also very significant, yet in fourth place, in many other countries such as Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, UAE, Equador etc.

And also in 3rd place (albeit distant 3rd) in the United States of America.

Yeah, there are some wacky blips along the way. So what. I doubt all the data from around the world is being hacked by Blackberry executives to make a handful of retail investors hold onto their shares. Statscounter is only good for trends, not absolute values.... and I like some of the trends I am seeing.

Done.
    No one is arguing with established data. Doubling share in a day or two, like in Canada and USA, is impossible. Claiming anything else is deceptive.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-10-13 01:35 PM
    But if you are HP and about to cut 10% of your staff, then according to Jim Suva, the opportunity is golden.

Why Hewlett-Packard Could Vault 30% To $33 A Share - Forbes
    As you can see clearly that BlackBerry is under a massive corporate attack. What's positive for everyone else is negative for BlackBerry. Good news and the stock goes down. No news and the stock goes down. Bad news is very bad news . I have never seen such blatant and open bashing of a company in my life. They spin almost every thing into a negative.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, W Hoa, spike12 and 2 others like this.
    07-10-13 01:42 PM
113,256 ... 15161517151815191520 ...