View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Sorry guys. Can someone give me the Coles notes on the US dilemma? Did TH bring it up in the meeting?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 01:40 PM
    If the bbm experience is replicated on other platforms they might have a huge cash cow on their hands. People including me gladly fork over money for an inferior whatsapp product. I would guess they will give people a year or six months free then charge 1-2 dollars per year. I would gladly pay 50+ for that but I doubt that's what most would pay anyways.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 01:40 PM
    Sorry guys. Can someone give me the Coles notes on the US dilemma? Did TH bring it up in the meeting?

Posted via CB10
    Basically kept saying it's a difficult market to do well in for them. He mentioned one of the carriers sold 9m.phones and 5m were apple iphones. So hinting that they stick with what makes them the most money. That would translate in carriers advertising iphones or androids etc but not bbry. It's a chicken and egg situation though. At the end of the day unless users are coming in and asking for a product they won't dedicate resources to them. As a business owner would you sell what pays the bills. Or spend money hoping to sell brand X? What advantage would they have risking capital to sell z10s? Unless they have an incentive they won't bother. It's up to bbry to make customers demand their products. And then the carriers will be on board.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 01:44 PM
    Looking for some clarication. During the AGM some shareholders voiced that they did not want to see the company broken up. I'm assuming that means broken up and sold for parts, as in, another company buys the BB10 OS, the BES architecture goes to someone else, and so forth, leaving nothing of BlackBerry the company.

Now, if BlackBerry were to partner with Sony or someone else to make the physical handsets for them, that would simply be considered a partnership, correct? BlackBerry wouldn't be selling off a line of business, they would just be leveraging a partner's large scale capabilities, right?
    Yes, you got it right. The Lenovo rumour on the other hand involved them selling the hardware division, one of their business lines.
    bungaboy and Reed Richards like this.
    07-09-13 01:54 PM
    Basically kept saying it's a difficult market to do well in for them. He mentioned one of the carriers sold 9m.phones and 5m were apple iphones. So hinting that they stick with what makes them the most money. That would translate in carriers advertising iphones or androids etc but not bbry. It's a chicken and egg situation though. At the end of the day unless users are coming in and asking for a product they won't dedicate resources to them. As a business owner would you sell what pays the bills. Or spend money hoping to sell brand X? What advantage would they have risking capital to sell z10s? Unless they have an incentive they won't bother. It's up to bbry to make customers demand their products. And then the carriers will be on board.

Posted via CB10
    So how do you address this?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 01:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    I could not agree with you more on this. The USA carriers make their money sending you the monthly bill for services. The initial phone sale is subsidized (except now Tmob), and the money comes back and then some over the next 2 years. The carriers here don't want you to leave the store without a monthly bill to follow and will sell you whatever phone it is that makes that happen. That's why you hear the carriers "don't like the iPhone" but they certainly like what it does for them has they have all fallen in line to sell it now. Here in the USA, its the phone most likely to get that bill to you door after you leave.

BlackBerry have, for the most part, lost mind share here in the USA. If folks have any doubts at all it's basically between the latest hotness from Android and the iPhone. I really do not believe many folks go to the store with an open mind and the decision unmade, at least among my friends I have found that to be the case.
    spike12 likes this.
    07-09-13 01:57 PM
    Looking for some clarication. During the AGM some shareholders voiced that they did not want to see the company broken up. I'm assuming that means broken up and sold for parts, as in, another company buys the BB10 OS, the BES architecture goes to someone else, and so forth, leaving nothing of BlackBerry the company.

Now, if BlackBerry were to partner with Sony or someone else to make the physical handsets for them, that would simply be considered a partnership, correct? BlackBerry wouldn't be selling off a line of business, they would just be leveraging a partner's large scale capabilities, right?
    You are correct. However, everything is for sale as long as the price is right. Based on Hein, AT THIS MOMENT, none of the company's division is put on sale up to the point when a high value being built on it.

Another point, Hein mentioned is that in order to offer the secured phone to certain users (mainly gov and military clients), the company has to have its own handset division.
    07-09-13 02:01 PM
    So how do you address this?

Posted via CB10
    You pay for the ads & marketing.
    That's phase 2. Starting now

Edit : aaaaannnnnnnddd SuperClown out ! Drums time; no cowbell hassle tonight !
    CU2morrow !
    07-09-13 02:12 PM
    I wonder how well a campaign would do with a bunch of current key celebrities showing "how they blackberry". Actually show time shift,story marker. People that teenage and 20/30s can relate too. But they really need instagram first. As much as its a sore spot. They need that app and they need it now. They are losing sales because of it. Netflix isn't the end of the world though. And not bad tacky campaigns like msft does. Big budgets on seinfeld etc don't translate into big sales. You need to connect with the demographic you seek. Alicia Keys does not do that.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 02:24 PM
    You pay for the ads & marketing.
    That's phase 2. Starting now

Edit : aaaaannnnnnnddd SuperClown out ! Drums time; no cowbell hassle tonight !
    CU2morrow !
    Look who is the first tweet on this news article about the AGM

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...edia-reaction/
    abouthsu, Zarpan, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    07-09-13 02:30 PM
    End of day pull back. Time to see if we can start to rely on TA again for support levels. 5-dma is sitting at 9.63 and 3-ema is 9.68. Currently at 9.67 so I'm very curious as to how this day will close out.
    07-09-13 02:35 PM
    If he's got nothing important to say the just go straight to the q & a, how many people actually care about hypothetical car software sales?
    I do!
    cjcampbell, dusdal and leafs123 like this.
    07-09-13 02:38 PM
    If the bbm experience is replicated on other platforms they might have a huge cash cow on their hands. People including me gladly fork over money for an inferior whatsapp product. I would guess they will give people a year or six months free then charge 1-2 dollars per year. I would gladly pay 50+ for that but I doubt that's what most would pay anyways.

Posted via CB10
    I agreed, I too would be gladly to pay to replace all my messaging apps but they would first need to get adoption and then a paid service after. Whatsapp is one of a good example. Let alone have video, BBM channels and voice integration. I truly can't wait for BBM to launch and will be telling all my friends to switch over.
    07-09-13 02:41 PM
    Morgan, when looking at ma's for support or resistance, do you typically use the opening number or the adjusted value as the day goes on?
    07-09-13 02:49 PM
    I agreed, I too would be gladly to pay to replace all my messaging apps but they would first need to get adoption and then a paid service after. Whatsapp is one of a good example. Let alone have video, BBM channels and voice integration. I truly can't wait for BBM to launch and will be telling all my friends to switch over.
    We'll need to convince them why its better. Those who have never used BBM or a BB device are pretty out of the loop when it comes to hyper-connected interactions and IM.

BBM delivers this but many Android & iPhone users I feel would squak at BBM simply because its a BB product before giving it a chance. I spoke with my friends about it, they said what does iChat and Whatsapp not have that BBM has. I said the 'R', the instantaneous feedback, specialized managed systems catered to the IM not just a platform built on top of SMS.

It'll take time, but hopefully it'll give BBRY the exposure it needs to open the blind and ignorant users of other platforms that BBRY has many things to offer!
    cjcampbell, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    07-09-13 02:52 PM
    CJ, can you share your opinion/observations on what the mood was like in the room or in and around the AGM?
    Reed Richards and bungaboy like this.
    07-09-13 02:54 PM
    We'll need to convince them why its better. Those who have never used BBM or a BB device are pretty out of the loop when it comes to hyper-connected interactions and IM.

BBM delivers this but many Android & iPhone users I feel would squak at BBM simply because its a BB product before giving it a chance. I spoke with my friends about it, they said what does iChat and Whatsapp not have that BBM has. I said the 'R', the instantaneous feedback, specialized managed systems catered to the IM not just a platform built on top of SMS.

It'll take time, but hopefully it'll give BBRY the exposure it needs to open the blind and ignorant users of other platforms that BBRY has many things to offer!
    I'll argue that a lot of users on Android and iOS used BBs in the past before they moved on and know what BBM was and I'm sure some miss the experience. The familiarity with BBM will help.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-09-13 03:04 PM
    CJ, can you share your opinion/observations on what the mood was like in the room or in and around the AGM?
    It was fine. Keep in mind that it was not any sort of "event" but more of an information gathering straight from the horses mouth. The vast majority of attendees were white haired and not exactly techy so they were looking at where to look moving forward. With that said, when someone, during q&a said they don't want any sort of breakup of the company, the whole room broke out in applause so that's a great sign as it shows investor confidence in keeping the company on track and as a whole. Also, both before and after the meeting, there was a demo table that had Vivek and others on his team demonstrating the devices and the secure workspace on Android and iOS. There was not a time that it was empty, and afterwards, it was pretty busy around the area.

All in all, a great experience and glad I got to see what these things are like as opposed to watching it via a stream on my computer.
    Compaqee, bungaboy, jxnb and 12 others like this.
    07-09-13 03:06 PM
    I'll argue that a lot of users on Android and iOS used BBs in the past before they moved on and know what BBM was and I'm sure some miss the experience. The familiarity with BBM will help.
    I agree, I'm one of those old users of BB. Loved my storm 2 - BBM surpassed by and far any messaging system i've used thus far.

However, there are large camps of users whom never were with smartphones during the BB era, they are new, fresh and oblivious to all else that is not iOS or Android. Think of the hipsters & teens today. My own friend group which for the most part were business undergrads, had not adopted all smartphones until the ending cusp of the BB dominance and they had just picked up the iPhone.

Although, I see the hope laying within BBM being offered for free and letting iOS and Android users try out the system. I pray, that BB releases BBM top-notch. Deliver the experience and UI to match the 'frills and prettiness' of the other platform applications and I say, BB has a shot at winning over some of these hardcore droid/iOS fans from whatsapp, skype & ichat etc.

Cheers!
    Korepab, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    07-09-13 03:09 PM

I don't follow every single chat messaging programs out there and in most cases, we tend to use one or two particular chat messaging program because of the peoples we talk to or certain particular features i.e. Wechat kind of like walkie talkie (lots of security risks).

IMO, as long as BBM is as good of a quality program as we would expect providing VIDEO, BBM Channels (youtube alike), VOICE and Secure way of messaging, I think BBM will do just fine.
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    07-09-13 03:10 PM
    Ok... so we closed just above the 5-dma. Glad to see it held. Next step is to see how this affects tomorrow's trade. If all goes well, we'll see a climb up, maybe just marginally, but a positive move. If I'm looking at it right, and believe me... that's a big IF ( remember, I really don't know what I'm talking about lol) I think the high of tomorrow would be approx. 10 and a low just a tad lower than today's close, but closing in the low to mid 70's.
    07-09-13 03:14 PM
    Thays what they said during bb jam.. And they already missed that... So. Did they say anything when bbm will be released on ios or android? Or are we lookng at a playbook bb10 timeframe?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using CB Forums mobile app
    Why don't you just take the time to inform yourself what was said. I'll make it easy for you. Here is the link. Go ahead and fill your boots.

http://www.media-server.com/m/p/b8z6sx9h

EDIT: Oops. Just noticed the dude was BANNED!
    07-09-13 03:17 PM
    Morgan, when looking at ma's for support or resistance, do you typically use the opening number or the adjusted value as the day goes on?
    With any short term or real-time indicator you need to treat it as it is dynamic and therefore the adjusted daily number is the one to look at. It is the days' closing number that is posted for you to use for tomorrows chart. I always try to calculate where that average will be when the stock gets to that same price. That's the true breakout point when you are looking at the 3-ema.

As for the action today, I noticed plenty of other stocks faded into the bell. Secondly, the AGM looks good on the surface, based upon what you guys had to report, I missed the actual AGM and will listen to it later. And finally, with all of the interviews done today where so many think BlackBerry is "done" or, that it should drop below $ 6.00/shr now, I think it held up very nicely.
    07-09-13 03:32 PM
    Why don't you just take the time to inform yourself what was said. I'll make it easy for you. Here is the link. Go ahead and fill your boots.

http://www.media-server.com/m/p/b8z6sx9h

EDIT: Oops. Just noticed the dude was BANNED!
    Ya... he was one of the drop ins that started on the 28th. Gotta love the ignore function.
    07-09-13 03:32 PM
    With any short term or real-time indicator you need to treat it as it is dynamic and therefore the adjusted daily number is the one to look at. It is the days' closing number that is posted for you to use for tomorrows chart. I always try to calculate where that average while be when the stock gets to that same price. That's the true breakout point when you are looking at the 3-ema.

As for the action today, I noticed plenty of other stocks faded into the bell. Secondly, the AGM looks good on the surface, based upon what you guys had to report, I missed the actual AGM and will listen to it later. And finally, with all of the interviews done today where so many think BlackBerry is "done" or, that it should drop below $ 6.00/shr now, I think it held up very nicely.
    That's one thing I was worried about. I was expecting it drop right after the AGM and it didn't.
    07-09-13 03:35 PM
113,250 ... 15091510151115121513 ...