View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    07-02-13 09:54 PM
    BlackBerry death may be slow, drawn out - Therese Poletti's Tech Tales - MarketWatch

There are not many on Wall Street who are expecting another company to come in and try to take BlackBerry over at this point.

�We don�t anticipate any moves for BlackBerry for a number of reasons,� said Nomura Equity Research analyst Stuart Jeffrey, in a note Monday. Among the reasons he cited was the fact that there has not been any �apparent interest by any buyer over the past 12 months,� along with �the difficulty of separating device sales from services and security issues.� He said buyers would also need U.S. government security clearance to buy BlackBerry, which will limit the list of viable buyers to North American organizations.

In addition, the track record of past deals in the mobile space has been decidedly mixed, with the deals for both Palm and Motorola Mobility resulting in the shutting down of the products or brands.

Li of Raymond James also even discounted some of the company�s intellectual property and patents, in a �sum-of-the-parts� liquidation analysis, saying that the patents it acquired from NorTel have zero value. He also estimated that BlackBerry will burn through $400 million of its $3.1 billion in cash in fiscal 2014. He also noted that the company will need to use $1 billion �to wind down operations in a liquidation scenario.�
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-02-13 09:56 PM
    This article about BBM kind of makes sense to me: http://seekingalpha.com/article/1531...ce=google_news

Hopefully the launch of bbm to ios and android create a giant upward move to the stock.
    morganplus8, dusdal, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    07-02-13 10:06 PM
    I agree with Cramer today. Heins needs to go
    07-02-13 10:21 PM
    I don't disagree with anything you wrote but I would personally find it appalling and distasteful for a director to be shorting company stock. Maybe he had some puts or another hedge on BBRY, but outright shorting would really bother me. JMHO
    I read about Fairfax's hedging strategy from a few years ago, and Watsa mentioned that it was designed to protect against extreme events such as a market collapse. Sounds like out of the money puts or something with an equivalent effect would fit that description.

I doubt he'd do outright shorting. The hard to borrow cost is very high right now, and paying 10+% annual borrowing rates doesn't sound like a great way to hedge a position.

Out of the money puts on BlackBerry are quite expensive too though, so I don't know if it would be worth doing that either, unless they were extremely out of the money.

Perhaps could have done some covered calls. Although from the report they didn't say that they were hedging everything, just that the value of overall hedges were greater than the value of the assets they were hedging. The hedges could have been more towards protecting against an overall market crash.
    07-02-13 10:26 PM
    So the last two days besides mourning my unrealized loss on the stock and the realized loss on the Call options i had i also did my own personal mini research in NYC regarding the Q10 and the Z10. So i visited 2 stores that i do good business with and another one that i know one rep there. wanted to check all 3 carriers....

So to make a long story short ... the Q10 as well as the Z10 are first of all not getting the support they could ( or should ) from the ATT and Verizon reps , T-Mobile shows alot of commitment yet they are still pushing the iphone alot.

But the most sad thing is that the rate of return is unreal. not because people do not like the devices but people do not want to go through the quick guides and literature that comes with the phone as well as the leaflets that BlackBerry is providing as a quick tour to the user. Users want simplified operations they do not want to read and try to comprehend NEW things regarding technology that already exists more or less.
    I am not going to say whats right and whats wrong but after this bitter research of mine i have one question only for Waterloo : HOW HARD WAS IT TO RUN A FEW FOCUS GROUPS ???? and if you did run the groups you obviously knew that this would be a Huge issue for the average user then those leaflets were all you could come up with ? !! ?...

Epic fail mr TH...Probably even Balmer wouldnt have done as bad !!

losing faith in the management but still have faith in the product .

So,Still Long... added more stock actually. BB10 is incredible my family friends and coworkers are spreading the love ( 12 devices and counting... )
    07-02-13 10:28 PM
    This article about BBM kind of makes sense to me: BlackBerry Has One Last Chance - Seeking Alpha

Hopefully the launch of bbm to ios and android create a giant upward move to the stock.
    Good one. Thanks.

This sounds closer to what TH has been alluding to.

Sometimes I wonder if he has to be somewhat aloof to avoid piquing the interest of some of the bigger players. Simply having the Google's and Apple's knowing what the plan is could end it for BBRY.
    07-02-13 10:28 PM
    Absorbing all this new wisdom is getting tiring.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    It's amazing the thread has all these new experts after the ER willing to tell us what we did wrong. They just arrived to the rescue with one to ten posts or have a few hundred but are busy slamming people on other threads as well. I'm about done here.
    07-02-13 10:32 PM

But the most sad thing is that the rate of return is unreal. not because people do not like the devices but people do not want to go through the quick guides and literature that comes with the phone as well as the leaflets that BlackBerry is providing as a quick tour to the user. Users want simplified operations they do not want to read and try to comprehend NEW things regarding technology that already exists more or less.
    I am not going to say whats right and whats wrong but after this bitter research of mine i have one question only for Waterloo : HOW HARD WAS IT TO RUN A FEW FOCUS GROUPS ???? and if you did run the groups you obviously knew that this would be a Huge issue for the average user then those leaflets were all you could come up with ? !! ?...

Epic fail mr TH...Probably even Balmer wouldnt have done as bad !!

losing faith in the management but still have faith in the product .

So,Still Long... added more stock actually. BB10 is incredible my family friends and coworkers are spreading the love ( 12 devices and counting... )
    I am wondering if this is an additional reason why we don't see the market uptick until a month or more after launch.

I think that this may be why they adopted pushing it through the channels to encourage the word of mouth as opposed to the traditional advertising mediums.

I also added to my position today and may again in the coming weeks if indicators start trickling through.
    07-02-13 10:32 PM
    It's amazing the thread has all these new experts after the ER willing to tell us what we did wrong. They just arrived to the rescue with one to ten posts or have a few hundred but are busy slamming people on other threads as well. I'm about done here.
    I agree. Does any LONG have experience in setting up a simplified (private) forum?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    07-02-13 10:39 PM
    Lcjr let the dust settle and the 'I told you so sobs' will disappear. They just seem to think bashing us will make their own real life shortcomings seem less significant. Lets keep this thing going, we are in the ditch for sure right now but things like this will pass.
    07-02-13 10:40 PM
    Lcjr let the dust settle and the 'I told you so sobs' will disappear. They just seem to think bashing us will make their own real life shortcomings seem less significant. Lets keep this thing going, we are in the ditch for sure right now but things like this will pass.
    IMO, what is the point of selling now when BB has yet to roll out there BBM cross platform and BES10 to other phones... I invested in this company for those two reasons as well as the security and the potential of QNX. The phones are just a small portion to me that aren't enough to bring BB to a healthy level. They are still alive but I admit, the shareprice blows and TH needs to PR something to the shareholders.
    07-02-13 10:43 PM
    This is probably directed at me. Don't mean to slam anyone, just hate to see small investors get run over especially the ones who shouldn't be investing in high volatility stocks.

I generally don't post here pre-ER but have since started because the same small investor who just lost their shirt is looking for advice... & then they're fed cost avg down or the shorts will have to cover hopium when they should really take their lumps and move on.

Love the product, don't really love the stock right now. Sorry if my comments rubbed the wrong way.
    m0de25 and rarsen like this.
    07-02-13 10:48 PM
    I agree. Does any LONG have experience in setting up a simplified (private) forum?

Posted via CB10
    Create an echo chamber, because that's how bulls & bears sort it out.
    07-02-13 10:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    New posters are always welcome. But this thread has been run different than other threads and it's almost become "family or friends" in here over the last year or so. New posters are coming in here not understanding that folks can express their opinion and expect professional responses and not slams or sarcasm. We have also become accustomed to expressing trade info during the day and socialize after trading hours. Where did all these rude experts come from after the ER??? Telling us a dictionary definition of stops and how to save ourselves from losses when the SP fluctuates is an insult. The thread title should be understood before they enter and just start throwing slams around or acting like they are on some other thread. We support BlackBerry and invest in the stock. If those new posters don't understand that then they should ask why we do that on their way out to start their own thread. Simply amazing how the super heros come to the rescue after the negative ER.
    07-02-13 10:53 PM
    This is probably directed at me. Don't mean to slam anyone, just hate to see small investors get run over especially the ones who shouldn't be investing in high volatility stocks.

I generally don't post here pre-ER but have since started because the same small investor who just lost their shirt is looking for advice... & then they're fed cost avg down or the shorts will have to cover hopium when they should really take their lumps and move on.

Love the product, don't really love the stock right now. Sorry if my comments rubbed the wrong way.
    No wolf, I'm not singling anyone out. This thread is not about that. You are more than welcome here and I surely appreciate your expertise. I'm talking to everyone so that we all remember this thread is different than the other threads. It's more of a social gathering to discuss the stock and later after hours get to know each other and let off steam respectfully. Can't find that on another thread.
    07-02-13 10:56 PM
    IMO, what is the point of selling now when BB has yet to roll out there BBM cross platform and BES10 to other phones... I invested in this company for those two reasons as well as the security and the potential of QNX. The phones are just a small portion to me that aren't enough to bring BB to a healthy level. They are still alive but I admit, the shareprice blows and TH needs to PR something to the shareholders.
    I certainly hope some good PR comes out soon. One reason sp is down today are longs getting margin calls. I had to sell some shares due to margin calls. If it goes down much further, I'll have to sell more.
    07-02-13 10:57 PM
    we are all licking our wounds right now, seeing the short position take advantage of a not so bad ER its disheartening. Hopefully a correction is on the horizon but at this moment everyone is still in shock don't think we expected a 30% drop in 2 days. Just alot of anger and frustration on the forum right now but i don't think any of us should take this too personally as most of us just venting.

lcjr, dusdal and fedakd like this.
    07-02-13 10:59 PM
    Hmmm sounds good in theory ... but don't the stop loss mechanisms also help the shorts? I think the sp would still be around 13 if the longs didn't use them. I still think the shorts are greedy... they are looking for the ultimate bottom for max profit. They won this round but will they win the war? If the stock popd up will the shorts not bleed the same way we have?
    It's not about being "short" or "long", it's all about being on the right side of the trade... ;-)

You can make lot of money riding both sides of the wave... ;-)

Cheers !

p.s.: Don't Forget: You owe NOTHING to a company when you buy a Stock,---> the company owes you....
    07-02-13 11:00 PM
    Don't let it bother you. They will come nd they will go. We all are fortunate enough to have brains of our own to make decisions for ourselves...
    07-02-13 11:04 PM
    New posters are always welcome. But this thread has been run different than other threads and it's almost become "family or friends" in here over the last year or so. New posters are coming in here not understanding that folks can express their opinion and expect professional responses and not slams or sarcasm. We have also become accustomed to expressing trade info during the day and socialize after trading hours. Where did all these rude experts come from after the ER??? Telling us a dictionary definition of stops and how to save ourselves from losses when the SP fluctuates is an insult. The thread title should be understood before they enter and just start throwing slams around or acting like they are on some other thread. We support BlackBerry and invest in the stock. If those new posters don't understand that then they should ask why we do that on their way out to start their own thread. Simply amazing how the super heros come to the rescue after the negative ER.
    It will pass, don't worry too much about it buddy. Many of my students think that they are experts after couple classes and go out to enlighten others. Only after they learned everything that they realized that they still don't know anything.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 11:08 PM
    I think your first few posts were a little combative. Since then I think youve presented yourself better.

dusdal, lcjr, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    07-02-13 11:09 PM

Yes there are tons of positives with the company, great products and billions in sales with a healty gross margin. Unfortunately the execution is off. And the communication leaves much to be desired. If there was some major shakeup, current or new big investor leads a shareholder revolt, or company goes private, or buyout offer. How much would bbry be worth today with 3.1 billion in the bank. I'd say much more than $10 a share.
    fedakd likes this.
    07-02-13 11:13 PM
    *sigh*

I don't want to jinx it, but it feels better in here already.
    lcjr, morganplus8, take99 and 4 others like this.
    07-02-13 11:15 PM
    Well, I can certainly understand that people want to gather around the pub after the game and root for the home team and all but I would only recommend place bets in that situation with goofing-off money. It's way too much of a skewed viewpoint to base serious investment decisions on. Some people seem to be investing a serious portion of their net worth on this stock and getting margin calls and all. Don't you think that people would benefit from the other side of the story if they are making serious investments?

I guess the disclaimer is in the title of the thread. This is about supporting BBRY and buying shares and not as much about making sound investments - not if you aren't going to tolerate any negative sentiment.
    07-02-13 11:17 PM
113,256 ... 14851486148714881489 ...