View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Heins' Mobile End Computing Vision Comes To An End; So Must He
    Heins' Mobile End Computing Vision Comes To An End; So Must He - Seeking Alpha

I agree 100%. TH must go
    _dimi_ likes this.
    07-01-13 10:04 AM
    I honestly think that for markets like the US it is an entry level device. the Z10 isn't all that from from a mid level device and in the next 6 months will completely be a mid level device. Now would a lower end device for emerging markets be a good idea absolutely. at least from I'm reading though id consider it a low end device by the time it really rolls out here
    Yeh you're right; from a US market point of view the Q5 is probably okay but definitely for emerging markets BBRY need to push out something cheap *with* BB10 asap.
    07-01-13 10:05 AM

I agree 100%. TH must go
    I'm not entirely sure about that. Yes he should never be allowed to speak in front of an audience ever again... but he has done a lot of good since he came along. he needs to do more esp now but all in all he took over a mess and has been cleaning it up
    07-01-13 10:07 AM
    I'm not entirely sure about that. Yes he should never be allowed to speak in front of an audience ever again... but he has done a lot of good since he came along. he needs to do more esp now but all in all he took over a mess and has been cleaning it up
    He did well initially but he has totally alienated many many believers and investors in this company. There should of been a warning even if it only dealt with the issues in Venezuela. He is not the person to take this company to the next level.
    07-01-13 10:10 AM
    I don't see that happening. honestly, at least here in the USA, I see more 13 14 and 15 yr old kids running around wth high end smart phones everyday. both of my younger sisters 14 and 16 have S3's. its sad but true. that's the pattern herefrom what I see. a good entry level phone with bb10 features, i.e. theQ5 SHOULD do very well.
    I know I sound like a broken record but my 12 year old and 17 year old will not move to an os that doesnt have the social apps they are used to having.

I know bec one wanted the WP until she discovered the app situation ...

Z10
    07-01-13 10:12 AM
    He did well initially but he has totally alienated many many believers and investors in this company. There should of been a warning even if it only dealt with the issues in Venezuela. He is not the person to take this company to the next level.
    Heis not a good spokes person. He is however a good business minded strategist. He should never have handled anything from the roll outs to press statements to ER's. he should stay behind the scenes where he does his best work.
    07-01-13 10:18 AM
    He is not the person to take this company to the next level.
    Well, considering he raised it from the cave to one of the most traded stock ... I tend to believe he's not that bad, actually.

but
    Heis not a good spokes person. He is however a good business minded strategist. He should never have handled anything from the roll outs to press statements to ER's. he should stay behind the scenes where he does his best work.
    I must say I can hear that pretty well.
    Shanerredflag, dusdal and bungaboy like this.
    07-01-13 10:18 AM
    Not likely until after the Annual Meeting takes place and they are voted back into the company again complete with extremely low cost Stock Options! Seems fair doesn't it? It's business.
    Hi M+8. Your low cost option thesis appears to be a game of chicken for bbry management if true. Your suggesting that C-level management attempt to buy low cost options by sand bagging the ER and risk the company's goodwill/name value by dragged the company through the mud putting at risk the company's future. While this is possible given the root of all evil is money, I am wondering if you observed this type of behavior at any other company?

Thanks.
    07-01-13 10:20 AM
    As an investor, I want to see an "X" pattern in the Cash Versus Inventory Base, they need to spend cash to create value added assets that consumers want. So spend that cash on leading technology and software and get them into the consumers hands.
    The way I perceive the US stock market is : Grow or die. BBRY isn't growing.
    07-01-13 10:22 AM
    Canucks, enjoy the holiday. It is what it is for today.

Happy Canada Day!
    Yup. Just woke up from quite a night and catching up slowly. Heading out shortly to go wake boarding but got to get through all this first.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:23 AM
    Yup. Just woke up from quite a night and catching up slowly. Heading out shortly to go wake boarding but got to get through all this first.

Posted via CB10
    Hi CJ. Hit the cowbell before the waves !
    07-01-13 10:25 AM
    I believe the reason that Blackberry at the moment unable to penetrate the consumer smartphone market is because it misses the initiation step, i.e., it does not have the low cost media player with form factor at 4 and 5 inch.
    The same reason that Apple and Samsung can sell so many smartphone, is that the young generation got their media players first, then naturally bought the smartphone when they need.
    I wish that Blackberry can launch the 4" and 5" media players as soon as possible. Most kids before entering the college, they do not need smartphones, but they all want (or need) a media player.
    If Blackberry can sell 10s million of media player under BB10 OS, then the 10's million BB10 media player owners become the potential BB10 smartphone owners.

P.S. If anyone has direct contact with Blackberry top management, please provide this suggestion to the company for consideration.
    I would say that bbry management does not understand sales at the store front level. You have kiss selling phones with very little interest in selling you the right phone but just to close the deal. IMO the easiest sale is based on a spec's. This is the best phone for you because it has the latest xxxxxx. and yyyyyy. Just look at what we are accustomed to with the flat TV marketing and PC sales.
    07-01-13 10:26 AM
    Goldman Sachs Cuts PT on BlackBerry (BBRY) to $12; No Longer Has 'Bull Case' for BB10

Goldman Sachs comments on BlackBerry (Nasdaq: BBRY) following first-quarter 2014 results reported last Friday. The firm has BlackBerry at Neutral, cutting its price target from $17 down to $12.

Analyst Simona Jankowski commented, "We view this quarter as a sharp setback in BlackBerry’s recovery efforts with BB10. In a quarter when the company should have benefited from significant channel inventory fill (with the Z10 available in 147 countries and the Q10 in 96 countries following their January and April launches, respectively), it missed our total BB10 unit estimates by 23%, implying weaker than expected traction."

Jankowski's updated sum-of-parts valuation has BlackBerry at $11, down from a prior valuation of $12. The analyst said, "Our SOTP assigns value to the estimated cash balance 12 months out ($6/share) and the IP portfolio ($5/share), and no value to the operating business given it is losing money. We have reduced the estimated value of BlackBerry’s IP to $2.5bn from $3.3bn on more granular assessment of the closest comp – Motorola Mobility’s IP portfolio – post Google’s sale of the set-top box business to Arris."Jankowski no longer has a "bull case" scenario for BB10, from prior expectations calling for 20 percent. Shipments of 2.7 million BB10 units compares with Goldman's expectation for 3.5 million in shipments.
    07-01-13 10:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Go wakeboarding first, read later!!!

On the fly today but checking in. From the stock price action it looks like the street thought they got it right on Friday. Too bad I had hoped a silver lining would have merged over the weekend.

I'd buy at 10 but unfortunately I bought at 15..... Life goes on $2500 lighter....
    07-01-13 10:27 AM
    I don't see that happening. honestly, at least here in the USA, I see more 13 14 and 15 yr old kids running around wth high end smart phones everyday. both of my younger sisters 14 and 16 have S3's. its sad but true. that's the pattern herefrom what I see. a good entry level phone with bb10 features, i.e. theQ5 SHOULD do very well.
    For a family that is not so rich, it can afford the smartphone hardware (with phone company subside) at $199 or $99 but few of the family can or want to pay the monthly subscription fee to the phone company.
    The BB10 media player is going to target the kids from those family.
    07-01-13 10:28 AM
    For a family that is not so rich, it can afford the smartphone hardware (with phone company subside) at $199 or $99 but few of the family can or want to pay the monthly subscription fee to the phone company.
    The BB10 media player is going to target the kids from those family.
    I understand what you are saying. But most families here are looking at Cell phones for their kids who stay home alone, drive, go to the movies etc. They want cool phones with cool features, at a good price. Right now that Android mostly. For alot of them that dont have phones its the iPod touch cause it has instagram. Sorry BB will not take that market nor make headway there at least in the US

Edit: on a side note it will be a cold day in hell before my kids get phones before they are driving. Even then they will only have emergency minutes no data and NO texting. End parental rant
    07-01-13 10:33 AM
    I noticed no one responded to a certain poster who posted the Kantar numbers. But Holy S**** Batman. They are terrible. Maybe I just deluded myself, but I thought demand for the BBOS10 phones would be huge. BBRY numbers actually went down in sales. How could this be? If you think about it, if this is all the pent up demand gave us, what will the next quarter do? At the end of the day, doesn't BBRY have to sell phones to survive?

I use Europe due to all I heard about great sales volume there.
    Kantar Worldpanel ComTech UK and Europe smartphone sales data for May 2013 - Kantar
    07-01-13 10:39 AM
    I noticed no one responded to a certain poster who posted the Kantar numbers. But Holy S**** Batman. They are terrible. Maybe I just deluded myself, but I thought demand for the BBOS10 phones would be huge. BBRY numbers actually went down in sales. How could this be? If you think about it, if this is all the pent up demand gave us, what will the next quarter do? At the end of the day, doesn't BBRY have to sell phones to survive?

I use Europe due to all I heard about great sales volume there.
    Kantar Worldpanel ComTech UK and Europe smartphone sales data for May 2013 - Kantar
    This is certainly worrisome. Even Windows is growing. I really thought BB10 started off pretty good in the UK...

I wonder if it is because Nokia started selling a bunch of cheap Lumia phones.

I do think BlackBerry needs to bring out a high-spec'd phone. Like the poster several posts above said, it is the easiest thing to sell. TH has been trying to sell people the experience but it's hard to sell that when not a lot of people are willing to even pick up the phone.

Not saying the experience is not good, it is fantastic actually, but I think this strategy would work if we have some low-entry phones so people wouldn't mind giving it a try without sacrificing too much of their wallet.

A10 absolutely needs to have the top of the line specs to attract the high-end segment so they feel they are getting what they paid for.

Now where is that partnership...
    07-01-13 10:42 AM
    this article quotes a downgrade for bbry. the upgrades are for other companies
    *Facepalm*

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:43 AM
    The weather must have got to my head, I don't know how I mis-read that email..

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:44 AM
    If BlackBerry has some great news, and that's a big if, do you think Thursday would be a perfect time to announce it?

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:45 AM
    Hi M+8. Your low cost option thesis appears to be a game of chicken for bbry management if true. Your suggesting that C-level management attempt to buy low cost options by sand bagging the ER and risk the company's goodwill/name value by dragged the company through the mud putting at risk the company's future. While this is possible given the root of all evil is money, I am wondering if you observed this type of behavior at any other company?

Thanks.
    I like the way you type! That's how I feel about management going "secret" around Annual Meetings. The best time to not say much is at this time of year because as we all know, they always get voted in again. There is a big difference between not saying anything constructive and sabotaging the goodwill of the company. The only reason we are having this conversation though, is due to the price of the stock. If it were down to $ 13.50/shr, we wouldn't be suggesting anything here. As long as I have been investing, I can't help but see a correlation between the price of the stock prior to earnings and the setting of stock options. You see this in small to mid-size stocks, not your GM, GE and AAPL's. There was an article over the weekend that talked about this very issue, it was slightly different calling for the company to issue strong/cheap stock incentives to all employees so that they are motivated to work hard for BlackBerry.
    07-01-13 10:46 AM
    I think you misread that. Only 1 BBRY related action. Downgrade to Equal rate by MS

http://seekingalpha.com/currents/pos...rt_mc_readmore

I get emails sent to me..

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:47 AM

I agree 100%. TH must go
    Terrible terrible article. He's getting way too personal and it affects his focus / credibility.

First he goes out on a rant criticising BlackBerry for launching the Z10 first.. how BBM going cross platform will result in a write-down of Z10s on the balance sheet because the salespeople can no longer sell the device since nobody buys it for peek/flow/hub but only buy it for BBM?! Are you kidding me? I feel insulted.

So now that the Z10 has ruined Q10s chances.. he calls for Thorsten to step down for claiming 'a tablet is not a good business proposal'. Except he claims that the chances of the A10 selling well is close to 0 in the A10 thread on CB... so not quite sure which side he's on.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:53 AM

I agree 100%. TH must go
    Ah Michael Collins - the man who was telling us how great devices were sellling via wandering down to his local store and checking on ebay, a man who was held up as a great visionary who had seen through the analysts and their cautionary tales - how is that working out for him?
    morganplus8 and mikeo007 like this.
    07-01-13 11:11 AM
113,250 ... 14701471147214731474 ...