View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Okay folks, I'm completely spent. I'm hitting the rack and hope everyone gets some rest and fresh air so we can continue tracking this great corporation next week. Take some time and enjoy life. This will be here when you return. Later friends.
    06-29-13 12:04 AM
    Why would anyone takeover the company now, when no one tried when it was at $6 last year.
    Because they have succeeded in rolling out bb10 bes10 and 3 proven devices, as well as having BBM channels video voice money, bis income, one of the most recognizable brands in the world, designs for 2 more bb10 devices only months away from rolling out, and possibly the best micro kernel os in the world, + 3.1 billion in cash + a huge patent portfolio. The only thing that they don't have is proper marketing which is what another owner may find very easy to add to the mix. Then bingo ! A huge success because the world knows that BlackBerry now owned by Microsoft/Sony is an unstoppable juggernaut.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    06-29-13 12:05 AM
    Hi JLagoon,
    Hi Morgan; thank you so much to take the time explaining the stock action. I cannot express how helpful you are in helping the people in this board to understand the market. It helps me to absorb the blow today. I am limited to average down further, could only wish for this stock to not drop to single digit, and rise to above $14.48 soon. Patience and avoiding margin calls are my strategies to weather this situation. Man, it is tough.
    06-29-13 12:26 AM
    Here is a clip from Ross Healy on BBRY this morning, he has been a huge fan of the company for sometime now:
    The Street : June, 2013 : June 28, 2013

Additional Comments:
    http://watch.bnn.ca/business-day/bus...13/#clip956120

More Comments:
    The Street : June, 2013 : June 28, 2013

12:30 PM Report:
    http://watch.bnn.ca/headline/headlin...13/#clip956291

2:10 PM Comments:http://watch.bnn.ca/business-day-pm/...13/#clip956359

Katherine Murray / Misek at 5:20 PM
    http://watch.bnn.ca/clip956487#clip956487
    Last edited by morganplus8; 06-29-13 at 01:05 AM.
    06-29-13 12:27 AM
    Strange how those days happen. I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago where people who were calling me to give me terrible news got a busy signal because I was on the phone with somebody else who was giving me even more terrible news. Real life altering events too. Well, they say bad news comes in threes, so you and I should both be safe for a while if I include BlackBerry in my list.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!

For both of our sake, I hope you are right. I don't have it in me to take any more.

Posted via CB10
    Bugmapper likes this.
    06-29-13 12:33 AM
    I hope, there won't be a better entry price anymore.
    06-29-13 01:07 AM
    Hi Morgan; thank you so much to take the time explaining the stock action. I cannot express how helpful you are in helping the people in this board to understand the market. It helps me to absorb the blow today. I am limited to average down further, could only wish for this stock to not drop to single digit, and rise to above $14.48 soon. Patience and avoiding margin calls are my strategies to weather this situation. Man, it is tough.
    Hey, I sensed that and wanted to get something out for you to look at, as well as others, sooner rather than later this time around. I see this sell-off as another accumulation phase for traders to pop the stock and that's a good time to sell some Calls and lower your risk. Now anything could happen on the upside here depending on who the buyer of all of that stock today, was. We can only hope that this play gets picked up as a Hedge Fund investment on the long side to squeeze the shorts. We have the weekend to get caught up on everyone's opinion! GL
    06-29-13 01:13 AM
    Not sure what is going on with CrackBerry. The RIP PlayBook article is really wrong on so many levels. Seems like an emotional move. They did not lie, they WANTED to bring BB10 to the playbook and I'm sure they tried tons of tweaks to try and make it work. Just like when Kevin says things and believes it to be true and turns out it's not in the long run, Kevin did not lie, he told us the truth at the time. They did say they were going to support the platform, what if Playbook OS 2.1 releases and with bridge BBM and other things? At the end of the day, it's not RIP at all.

The stock price went down a lot not because BBRY is going out of business tomorrow, they did not meet expectations of the street. You don't bring back BBRY from the position it was in 2 quarters, it's a long process and will take a while. Anyhow, I just wanted to put a perspective in amongst all the "chaos".
    06-29-13 01:18 AM
    Good luck. High risk, but potentially REALLY high returns.
    I bought more shares too. Call me crazy, but like the odds especially when everyone looks at the gloom and doom.
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    06-29-13 01:22 AM
    I started a thread called Chicken Little attitude, JLagoon suggested I post it here so that is what I'm doing... here is my take on the future quarter of BB.

I invested in BB as I believe in their product and once my plan for the i5 is done (close to A10 release) I'm switching. Yes today was not a great day for investments but before we pull a Chicken Little and start saying the sky is falling lets look forward and see what is still to come.

DoD - US contract
    DoD - Canada
    BES - the income from the management of iphone/android , also in relation to DoD $99 for service and $100/device
    U.K MI6 - still in testing phase
    BBM - cross platform
    Channels - for cross platforms as potential service revenues
    A5 - roll out
    New BB OS7 phone
    Q5 - ?
    A10 - Winter in time fore Christmas
    NEW PR firm - for all the ppl saying why is there no better Ads, well BB did just fire their old PR firm.

Please feel free to add anything else we have forward to looking at BB rolling out for the next quarter that I may have missed.
    06-29-13 01:50 AM
    Why Chinese telecom giant Huawei could buy BlackBerry – Quartz

Why are there reports of buyouts... Isn't this something unfathomable due to the CDN Government regulations.

In other news, Cramer is ****ed.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100852259

"We have got to do a sum-of-the-parts analysis because there's no reason to own it on an earnings basis," he added. "Frankly, the press release was like 'you should sell us before it gets really bad.'"

This is another quote from Cramer...

"My philosophy is that no one ever made a dime panicking," Cramer said. "Acting emotionally, is and has been a loser for as long as I have been at this racket, and that's now spanning three decades,"
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    06-29-13 03:25 AM
    I think people are being too forgiving of the Tens of Millions statement:

“We have very, very good first signs already after the launch in the U.K.,” Heins said, referring to the device which features a keyboard, in an interview today at the Milken Institute conference in Los Angeles. “This is going into the installed base of more than 70 million BlackBerry users so we have quite some expectations. We expect several tens of million of units,” he said.
    This applied only to the Q10. A handset only reasonably have a good sales life span on a year, so its very reasonable to expect those several tens of million of units sales over 12 months. Several tens of millions must also be at least 20 million. So thats at least 1.6 million a month or 3.2 million for the two months of the quarter when the handset was released.

On the face of it most of the comment does not even make sense. Most of BB's 70 million subscribers are low-cost users who would never be able to afford the Q10. The addressable market for the Q10 was not 70 million big.

It was after this statement that BB received many upgrades, so investors were clearly led and misled by TH's comments.

BlackBerry Q10: CEO Thorsten Heins sees sales in ‘tens of millions’ | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    06-29-13 03:57 AM
    Thorstein Lie to Customers, How Can you trust a company which lied so much time...
    Attachment 176994
    You write "lie", presuming he already knew that @ the time he said it. Please, can you provide anything to sit your assertion ?

I say "missed it", and there's something to be corrected with BB10/PB OS dev teams coordinators; this is what worries me.
    Anything else is just ranting blah and doom and gloom emotional grief.
    If we want BB to succeed, we must not sugarcoat it but we have to point out where the knot must be undone.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-29-13 04:36 AM
    I think people are being too forgiving of the Tens of Millions statement:

This applied only to the Q10. A handset only reasonably have a good sales life span on a year, so its very reasonable to expect those several tens of million of units sales over 12 months. Several tens of millions must also be at least 20 million. So thats at least 1.6 million a month or 3.2 million for the two months of the quarter when the handset was released.

On the face of it most of the comment does not even make sense. Most of BB's 70 million subscribers are low-cost users who would never be able to afford the Q10. The addressable market for the Q10 was not 70 million big.

It was after this statement that BB received many upgrades, so investors were clearly led and misled by TH's comments.

BlackBerry Q10: CEO Thorsten Heins sees sales in ‘tens of millions’ | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    Something is clear with "we expect" ... Isn't it ?
    06-29-13 04:38 AM
    Something is clear with "we expect" ... Isn't it ?
    Because they have inside knowledge thats called guidance. Now if he said "We hope ..."
    06-29-13 04:42 AM
    Because they have inside knowledge thats called guidance. Now if he said "We hope ..."
    Yeah, something went wrong. But can anyone pretend - and demonstrate with facts - that Heins was bad faith when he said that ?

Ok, I was about to post this in PB section of the forum, but I believe there's enough fight there, so it'll be FYE.

This is a serious matter, because PB has been in the past already a heavy factor in delay misses (remember the BBID/BIS nightmare for BBM on multiple devices ?). Yes, we can blame the PB for the second time as the thorn in the side for BB10. Twice. I mean ... TWICE ?
    Enough. They have to throw the towel with that piece of hardware and rethink the whole thing.

When I met Christophe Lefort (VP EMEA) a few weeks ago, I discussed a lot (1/2 hour) about the PlayBook and BB10. Before this I was almost certain that the BB10 update will come somehow (limited capabilities/U.I) to the PB within a PB 3.0 OS release. But our discussion made it clear; it won't come as we might think. This discussion about PB turned out to be a discussion about M2M (Machine to Machine) and the use of any external device to extend a BB10 device capabilities. So exciting. At this point (and still now) I got the strong feeling that what we know as a dummy bridge today will become a brilliant M2M solution. In short nothing else but your PB being a deported cord-free full touch screen of any BB10 device (yes, incl. Q10). Everything is ready for that in 10.2 (wireless HDMI to be more specific).

Announcing - may I say moaning ? - BB10 on PB's KO during E.R is IMHO ... just.plain.stupid. Yup. I write this down (you can mark it lol).
    Just bite your tongue and fire anyone who suggested this. Right now. Instant exit. No merci. (damm, I'm trolling now !!!)

BUT, at the same time, I must say the PB nightmare had to stop.
    Why didn't they use it to promote M2M (one major point of software enhancements offered by BB10) is plain mystery to me. Hire 3 devs, make them work night and day and birth this as an exciting 10.2 feature, release the API and that's it. Turn defeat into momentum. Holly cow, I really expected this to be one of the (pre-) E.R BIG surprise. I was wrong.

Bridge has been built to make PB and BB devices collaborate.
    Let's make it real and extend to other platforms.NAO.
    06-29-13 05:02 AM
    I started a thread called Chicken Little attitude, JLagoon suggested I post it here so that is what I'm doing... here is my take on the future quarter of BB.

I invested in BB as I believe in their product and once my plan for the i5 is done (close to A10 release) I'm switching. Yes today was not a great day for investments but before we pull a Chicken Little and start saying the sky is falling lets look forward and see what is still to come.

DoD - US contract
    DoD - Canada
    BES - the income from the management of iphone/android , also in relation to DoD $99 for service and $100/device
    U.K MI6 - still in testing phase
    BBM - cross platform
    Channels - for cross platforms as potential service revenues
    A5 - roll out
    New BB OS7 phone
    Q5 - ?
    A10 - Winter in time fore Christmas
    NEW PR firm - for all the ppl saying why is there no better Ads, well BB did just fire their old PR firm.

Please feel free to add anything else we have forward to looking at BB rolling out for the next quarter that I may have missed.
    As in the above : M2M (Machine to Machine).
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-29-13 05:08 AM
    As in the above : M2M (Machine to Machine).
    QNX automobile adoption
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-29-13 05:12 AM
    This place and some of it's members have been responsible for the "sugar coating" of BBRY.

It is a new day now and we all need to pick up the pieces and move forward with our eyes wide open! We are strong and will survive!

Oh, and I was only kidding about the muscatel. I still have a rather large stock of my Jack Black which I had purchased before I was broke!

Have a great weekend my friends!
    06-29-13 05:25 AM
    Thanks! Helps take your mind off troubles. I'm no pro at darts but I really like playing.
    Holding a beer in my left hand while throwing with my right hand really improves my game, I find. :-)
    Superfly_FR and Shanerredflag like this.
    06-29-13 05:52 AM
    This discussion was started by Superfly_FR on 11/2/11. BBRY (then RIMM) closed that day at $18.91. Here we are, 1457 pages and a bit more than a year and a half later, and the stock has declined about 45%. Just a little historical perspective for ya.
    Yep, but you seem to omit some passing points in your "historical" review.
    The whole part when the stock dumped in the $6s (is that a 70% dump ?) - when we discussed whether or not it was relevant to average down or stand long - being one of the most important ones.
    You shouldn't omit either the momentum when the stock hit the $18s when many took a substantial advantage (either in cash or position increase).

History is not about isolated snapshots, it's a permanent evolution, adaptation.
    I believe this thread is a fair testimony of "our" feelings - hopes & fears, joys and deceptions - and acts, while it has been permanently reminded this thread was - by nature - optimistically (as in "I support") biased. Nowhere an invitation to trade BBRY. The positions - either tiny or large - anyone decided to take is their own (hopefully educated or at least conscious) decision.

Overall, I believe this abstract of OP sums up that.
    Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.
    Let's do historical work again in 2.5 years ... we're only half way.

P.S : I'm finished with justifications, I believe they were due, but they are now sliding off topic.
    Though, I believe many will come here about that, so let's repeat :

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

If you're not used to deal with stocks, the following should be your starting point.

1. This is real money. Your money. There's no tryouts nor refunds.
    2. You must establish what is your capacity before entering the game. Set it and keep it as an absolute limit (you can add later, depending on your revenues profile). Generally, something like 15% of your currently available and free cash is a reasonable amount. Do not speculate with money you don't own in full (credit). If you lose, don't rely on things like "averaging down" or "buy on dips" unless you have additional cash that fits with this rule.
    3. Stay calm. Looking at the stock on a day basis is hard for your nerves. Either good or bad, fluctuations can happen very fast.
    4. We are a drop in the bucket, even those of us with 100s K $ in the game are nothing if we compare to the global cap (count in $K Billions)
    5. Those playing "against" you have more power, more money and know how the market can react. You don't. Do not use "everyday" logic here. This "game" has its own rules and it takes a while to understand/accept them.
    6. One possible approach is to play "long" (counting in years), this particular approach is the one I suggested when starting this thread back in Feb 2011. I personally stick to this approach, as it appears to be somehow the most adapted for rookies like us, engaging tiny amounts and with very limited skills. Be careful about fees/taxes you may have to pay for each transaction: they can ruin your gains easily.
    7. Last but not least : stay humble and prudent.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-29-13 at 10:45 AM.
    06-29-13 06:13 AM
    This place and some of it's members have been responsible for the "sugar coating" of BBRY.

It is a new day now and we all need to pick up the pieces and move forward with our eyes wide open! We are strong and will survive!

Oh, and I was only kidding about the muscatel. I still have a rather large stock of my Jack Black which I had purchased before I was broke!

Have a great weekend my friends!
    Can you be more specific as to how and what was sugar coated?
    I personally don't think anyone here tried to sugar coat anything intentionally. We were wrong in thinking that many more bb10 had been sold, but that was not an attempt at sugar coating.

Investing in a specific stock is always a gamble. Even index is gamble to a lesser extent. You win some and you lose some.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 06:18 AM
    Can you be more specific as to how and what was sugar coated?
    I personally don't think anyone here tried to sugar coat anything intentionally. We were wrong in thinking that many more bb10 had been sold, but that was not an attempt at sugar coating.

Investing in a specific stock is always a gamble. Even index is gamble to a lesser extent. You win some and you lose some.

Posted via CB10
    LoL, someone once said "You win some . . . . . . you lose a lot".
    cjcampbell and plasmid_boy like this.
    06-29-13 07:07 AM
    For me BB was always a 6 month investment. I thought it was under valued and I remember telling my wife that the downside was 25% and the upside was 200%. Well the downside is what happened and while BB may yet vet up there it is not going to happen in the time horizon I had planned for it. I am primarily and dividend growth investor and was hoping to redeploy the capital gains into my other DGI investments. It didn't happen how I had hoped but it did turn out how I knew it could. Investing for capital appreciation in the short term and especially in the tech industry is risky. Even moreso when you are betting on the underdog. Lol

I will unwind my position mid next week and go back to what had worked for me so far - companies that pay you for being an owner.

I wish you all the best of luck. I have learned so much here. So many great people
    Take care all I will be checking in.

Matt
    06-29-13 07:17 AM
    What I would like to see come out of this Q1 report and earnings call is better communications from BB.

You see I consider myself to be an "investor" in BB. Granted, a small one only ~ 10,000 shares, BUT, an investor nonetheless. (As opposed to a "trader" and quick fix profit taker [which is ok too, but not for me]}

As an investor I expect to be given the straight goods in a timely manner. Hopefully TH and Co. will deal with this better in the future.

I am still a long term investor. But I am still smarting from the sell off.

My take away from this is I have developed a keener sense of hearing and seeing things as they are. Not how I want them to be.

I have to say I am really disappointed by the vultures that circle waiting for the misfortune to hit and then proceed to kick those that are down, even kicking those in "the fetal position". KARMA works . . . . . .
    06-29-13 07:20 AM
113,256 ... 14581459146014611462 ...