1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Somewhat suitable... and at the very least, enjoyable

bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    06-28-13 12:56 PM
    I just lowered by average from 16 to about 13 now with that purchase lol. makes me feel better.
    Nice one...smart thinking there kids!!!
    06-28-13 12:56 PM
    Ditto, I have used my TD unsecure LOC in the past for investing. Mine is 4.75 right now so Prime +1.75 which is awfully high. which one do you use and what rates?
    I'm with RBC and it's 5%. I don't actually mind that percentage, given the fact that the MER for some mutual funds can range upward 3% and since I feel that BB will at least give me 30% at some point within a year. Tis a far better return than most MF's annualized returns. That coupled with the fact that the my LOC amount borrowed factored to cover a year's worth of interest payments. hypothetical example: $9K borrowed, $500 to Bank account for prescheduled interest payments and $8500 to invest (safely presumably)
    abouthsu likes this.
    06-28-13 01:01 PM
    About $15.50 on tsx

But silver lining is I realized about 15% return instantly as half of shares bought inside RRSP. So... my 25% loss today is only really a 10% loss in the grand scheme.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    Ditto that! Coupled with the fact that the TSFA is tax free (saving roughly 15%)
    And my darling husband's rrsp which he gets roughly 35%, so yeah that gives some perspective.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    06-28-13 01:08 PM
    Sorry if I am being negative today.... PLEASE stop blaming media manipulation. As it turns out, the majority of what they are reporting turns out to be true. Obviously not all of it, but a lot of it. They don't need to manipulate anything, we are hurting ourselves enough.

Compare Faucette's ridiculous predictions to TH's giddy beating/exceeding expectations comments. To me there isn't much between them at the moment.

I am sure I will fell better after beer thirty.
    You bring up an interesting point, if all of these guys were right all along, and, if the shorts at 193 million shares were right too, why did the stock go down today? I would think if billions were spent on the media and shorting the stock it would have been a foregone conclusion that the stock is priced for their expectations. Seems to me there is more to this issue.

If we spent billions trying to prove we were right, the stock would have been at $ 25.00/shr by now and then I could see it dropping when we were proven wrong. I still can't accept that Faucette isn't a fraud/crook.
    06-28-13 01:11 PM
    Norton Mobile Insight Discovers Facebook Privacy Leak | Symantec Connect Community

Not sure if this makes BlackBerry look better? Possible that the BB FB app does the same thing.
    Couldnt stay away from google, I tried. Misek now at $18 target.

Bears had their way with BlackBerry (Nasdaq: BBRY) stock on Friday, sending shares lower by 26% in the wake of disappointing Q1 results. Sentiment undoubtedly is in the dumps, but not everyone is ready to call it quits on the stock. Jefferies analyst Peter Misek was among Wall Street bulls, and he is still somewhat positive on the stock.

Commenting, Misek said "We have been highlighting that developed market smartphone markets are saturated leading to decelerating shipments and pricing pressure. We had thought that BBRY's small BB10 shipment amount (<10% of AAPL's) would allow it to buck this trend, but it failed to do so . . . we were wrong; however, our Buy thesis has been mainly based on BBRY's MDM [Mobile Device Manaement] opportunity, which is now completely launched and should gain traction throughout this year."

"We cut our FY14 ests from $15.8B/$1.44 to $10.7B/$(1.54) (St $13.1B/$0.27). We had hoped the initial BB10 sales would provide a bridge until a broader enterprise refresh in H2 and the ramp of BBRY's MDM offering in FY15. Our updated SOTP analysis leads us to cut our target to $18 (MDM BYOD $12, Core Services $3, Hardware $3)," he added.

Jefferies has a Buy rating on BlackBerry with a modified price target of $18 (from $22).

For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on BlackBerry (Nasdaq: BBRY) click here. For more ratings news on BlackBerry click here.

Shares of BlackBerry closed at $14.48 yesterday, with a 52 week range of $12.55-$17.22.
    I think one of the things looking forward is the service revenues from MDM/BES10 and also the full launch of all their qwerty models, all of which are BB's strengths going forward.
    06-28-13 01:16 PM
    Couldnt stay away from google, I tried. Misek now at $18 target.

Bears had their way with BlackBerry (Nasdaq: BBRY) stock on Friday, sending shares lower by 26% in the wake of disappointing Q1 results. Sentiment undoubtedly is in the dumps, but not everyone is ready to call it quits on the stock. Jefferies analyst Peter Misek was among Wall Street bulls, and he is still somewhat positive on the stock.

Commenting, Misek said "We have been highlighting that developed market smartphone markets are saturated leading to decelerating shipments and pricing pressure. We had thought that BBRY's small BB10 shipment amount (<10% of AAPL's) would allow it to buck this trend, but it failed to do so . . . we were wrong; however, our Buy thesis has been mainly based on BBRY's MDM [Mobile Device Manaement] opportunity, which is now completely launched and should gain traction throughout this year."

"We cut our FY14 ests from $15.8B/$1.44 to $10.7B/$(1.54) (St $13.1B/$0.27). We had hoped the initial BB10 sales would provide a bridge until a broader enterprise refresh in H2 and the ramp of BBRY's MDM offering in FY15. Our updated SOTP analysis leads us to cut our target to $18 (MDM BYOD $12, Core Services $3, Hardware $3)," he added.

Jefferies has a Buy rating on BlackBerry with a modified price target of $18 (from $22).

For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on BlackBerry (Nasdaq: BBRY) click here. For more ratings news on BlackBerry click here.

Shares of BlackBerry closed at $14.48 yesterday, with a 52 week range of $12.55-$17.22.

Just what I expected from him. I think the average target price goes to $ 12.00/shr at the lowest point and the bears get bored and move on here. A slight drop in the target price won't kill off the investment but at $ 6.00/shr in cash, we can expect the bears to go torture another company for awhile. GL
    06-28-13 01:16 PM
    You bring up an interesting point, if all of these guys were right all along, and, if the shorts at 193 million shares were right too, why did the stock go down today? I would think if billions were spent on the media and shorting the stock it would have been a foregone conclusion that the stock is priced for their expectations. Seems to me there is more to this issue.

If we spent billions trying to prove we were right, the stock would have been at $ 25.00/shr by now and then I could see it dropping when we were proven wrong. I still can't accept that Faucette isn't a fraud/crook.
    Oh, I still think he is a fraud/shill/crook. I don't doubt he does what he can to take the stock lower and probably gets paid for it somehow. But I also never bought the MEDIA manipulation. As it turns out, a lot of the more "reasonable" negative people were spot on.

One reason I stayed long is that the short attacks seemed to be less and less effective. As they were able to absorb all the "good" news and product launches, the longs were then able to absorb the short efforts which had succeeded in the past. We had a real standoff going and that was better than having to eat a **** sandwich which the shorts had served up almost daily for a few months before. My point was that today's punishment was a result of what BBRY did to itself, not some media manipulation. The #'s weren't great but the total lack of clarity going forward, refusal to breakdown BB10 devices shipped and their comments about no longer releasing subscriber #'s was even more disheartening. I didn't sell today but will admit if/when I get back to even I may be tempted. I might also feel better after a cold beverage too.
    cjcampbell, bondary and rarsen like this.
    06-28-13 01:18 PM
    so tempting to average down my darling husband's avg sp of $16.10 to $14.85....so VERY tempting
    Do we think there'll be any more slippage in the sp here?
    06-28-13 01:18 PM
    This is the tune for today :Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life by the drop
    cjcampbell likes this.
    06-28-13 01:19 PM
    Oh man, how much lower is this stock going to go? I can't tell with charts anymore.
    06-28-13 01:25 PM
    Oh, I still think he is a fraud/shill/crook. I don't doubt he does what he can to take the stock lower and probably gets paid for it somehow. But I also never bought the MEDIA manipulation. As it turns out, a lot of the more "reasonable" negative people were spot on.

One reason I stayed long is that the short attacks seemed to be less and less effective. As they were able to absorb all the "good" news and product launches, the longs were then able to absorb the short efforts which had succeeded in the past. We had a real standoff going and that was better than having to eat a **** sandwich which the shorts had served up almost daily for a few months before. My point was that today's punishment was a result of what BBRY did to itself, not some media manipulation. The #'s weren't great but the total lack of clarity going forward, refusal to breakdown BB10 devices shipped and their comments about no longer releasing subscriber #'s was even more disheartening. I didn't sell today but will admit if/when I get back to even I may be tempted. I might also feel better after a cold beverage too.
    I have to think that the constant drone of the negative reports carried by the media had to have a negative effect on BB device and service sales.

If you read it enough you start to believe it may have applied somewhat.
    morganplus8, lcjr, m0de25 and 1 others like this.
    06-28-13 01:30 PM
    Oh man, how much lower is this stock going to go? I can't tell with charts anymore.
    I'm now convinced that the physical phone business is dying quickly for them. There's opportunity for the software but they need a partner or to be bought out.
    06-28-13 01:30 PM
    I'm now convinced that the physical phone business is dying quickly for them. There's opportunity for the software but they need a partner or to be bought out.
    fedakd and lcjr like this.
    06-28-13 01:31 PM

You are singing to the choir there, I'm pissed that they didn't warn 3 - 5 weeks ago when they saw the numbers and knew they were canning their PR firm. Given the "rough guidance of breakeven", I guess they were only out by the problems with Venezuela. In all fairness, we would have been mad if they confirmed some of the doom and gloom around the media and called them on that too. I was left thinking sales were much better, not by analysts projections, but by Heins himself. It is what it is, they manage funds well, the phones are great and selling in a tough market, I guess we'll have to cut them some slack knowing they are hated by many shareholders who are demanding they get out there and do some deals and grow the company. We basically lost a whole quarter here but we are out with 3 products now and tons of cash so let's not forget partnerships are a little easier to complete these days.
    06-28-13 01:31 PM
    I'm with RBC and it's 5%. I don't actually mind that percentage, given the fact that the MER for some mutual funds can range upward 3% and since I feel that BB will at least give me 30% at some point within a year. Tis a far better return than most MF's annualized returns. That coupled with the fact that the my LOC amount borrowed factored to cover a year's worth of interest payments. hypothetical example: $9K borrowed, $500 to Bank account for prescheduled interest payments and $8500 to invest (safely presumably)
    Haven't look at the premium for options but if I'm thinking correctly, wouldn't this be the same if you go the options route and reduce the cost of borrowing as well as interest. Granted if the premium for year long is high, also time is a factor with options since the road to recovery may take longer than a year to get there.

My apologies, rookie investor here.
    06-28-13 01:34 PM
    I was speaking to a few co-workers today about my investment in BBRY and how it tanked.

Their reaction was this (they're my age roughly 22 & female) - "Who would invest in BBRY?".....

As others have iterated, BBRY needs to make it clear they have a NEW product and NEW operating system.

The OS is phenomenal, it's approach to smartphone navigation alone has me in shock and awe still. Its take on multitasking as well is clearly an innovative step in the right direction. It really eats at me when so called 'techies' in my generation bark that apple offers products that are much better and just work. That it's more intuitive. Listen buddy.....before smartphones, was an iPhone intuitive? I do recall that people said apple's iPhone would not fly, look at it now.

Makes my head spin sometimes the ignorance.

--END RANT-- (I apologize)

The difference between Apple's execution though and Blackberry's is clear however, the iPhone's marketing was awesome. Blackberry's marketing campaign has still not driven the market to be excited about its product.

However, I'm still very much a believer that once this product has enough time in the market, consumers will be drawn to it again ESPECIALLY once 10.2 comes out and the app library explodes with the jelly bean emulator.

Best part though after re calibrating a bit today and taking time to reflect, this investment has shown it has found footing and some support at these price levels.

Amidst funding a turn-around, renewing its entire product line & growing its cash equivalent assets is something to be happy about.

I still believe a great product will be fully appreciated by the market. BBRY in the future quarters will be backed with its BES 10 systems and enterprise subscribers and foreseeable revenue growth in handset sales as market transitions to higher margin handsets.

See below:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-apple-iphone-sales-q3-2007-q1-2012.jpg

It took Apple roughly 3 Quarters to sell the same number of BB10 devices after introduction of its new product. Although it was at the start of the smartphone era, it still suggests even with a great product it takes a few quarters for the market to catch on - even with great marketing.

I'm going to hold on.

Still long.
    06-28-13 01:34 PM
    Seriously, that is your answer?

During last quarter's ER, it was said that sell through was between 2/3 and 3/4. Obviously this disagrees with what you posted. Does anyone know the actual answer?
    With all due respect, please do a little research.
    BBRY gets paid on shipment, not sales. Now if sales don't come, in a massive way, they may agree to buy back some stock - but only if it's drastic. So far, no one has reported any of that happening to BBRY BB10 devices.
    As for 2/3 or 3/4, the way the questions were worded in that Q4 conf call was asking how many units had sold as of that date, which was late March - out of those that had been ordered - as in a R/T check of sell-through. Keep in mind most people do NOT measure sell-through in R/T - unless you manage in a LIFO manner, which I don't believe they or anyone does, then R/t sell thru is a meaningless stat. What matters is after the dust settles, how much inventory was sold, and are they at risk of having to buy back. At this time, NO one is saying they are at risk - no carriers, no carrier-checks... nada. So there is ZERO assumed risk to BBRy at this time for a lack of sell-thru hurting their bottom line.
    06-28-13 01:37 PM
    Haven't look at the premium for options but if I'm thinking correctly, wouldn't this be the same if you go the options route and reduce the cost of borrowing as well as interest. Granted if the premium for year long is high, also time is a factor with options since the road to recovery may take longer than a year to get there.

My apologies, rookie investor here.
    The one thing that makes me stay totally away from option trading is the 'expiry factor' and switching in/out
    is enough to give me a complete headache lol. For my investing, KIS (keep it simple) is my motto.
    So I buy common, hold, season my cast-iron stomach for loss and wait patiently for my projected/self-imposed return.

So now, I'm taking a wee break to do a little packing for camping this week. Gotta get out and have a bit of fun.
    06-28-13 01:42 PM
    Well, from the sounds of it, Morgan, CJ, Bug, LC, SuperFly and myself will be the only ones left in this thread...More Beer for us at the $100 party I guess...I guess I can afford to buy the first round for everyone now...
    Count me in at the $100 party. It's going to take an extra year now though to make it there. I'm down 27% today. That means 73% more to go before I leave this thread! ha. Virtual beers buys, looking forward to keepin up some posts...just not as frequently.
    morganplus8, lcjr, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    06-28-13 01:51 PM
    I have to think that the constant drone of the negative reports carried by the media had to have a negative effect on BB device and service sales.

If you read it enough you start to believe it may have applied somewhat.
    No doubt, but it turns outs a lot of the negative media was actually fairly honest analysts giving their negative opinions. We thought they were wrong but truth be told they were closer to the truth than we were. For me, manipulation means you attempted to influence something by being untruthful. Faucette and his ilk did that, but many many of the people we accused were simply telling what they thought was the truth and it turned out they were right or at least as right as Misek and we were. The media was just reporting what they said, we heeded or disregarded what they reported at our own peril. Again, I am still holding and hope we get the bounce, I just feel a little burned by TH and Verizon CEO and everyone else who seemed to have info they chose to either gloss over, ignore, or keep to themselves.

Kudos to Misek for admitting he was wrong. I respect that. For the record, I was wrong and have a $2,000 loss to prove it!
    take99, cjcampbell, lcjr and 2 others like this.
    06-28-13 01:51 PM
    The one thing that makes me stay totally away from option trading is the 'expiry factor' and switching in/out
    is enough to give me a complete headache lol. For my investing, KIS (keep it simple) is my motto.
    So I buy common, hold, season my cast-iron stomach for loss and wait patiently for my projected/self-imposed return.
    I'm pretty new to the options stuff so I could have it all wrong. because of this thread, I developed an interest for options trading and find it fascinating as far as strategies goes. Indeed time factor and premium are two keys variables, somehow my head tells me to have a safety net with put in play just to make sure I don't lose my life saving makes it that much worth while, assuming SP does move in one directions within the contact time table.

Using today for example in my head, by paying the premium for some put would probably cut my loses a little as the SP seems to swing either way enough to justify the cost of insurance?

Then of course, I haven't done the math yet so excuse my vent as I'm more calm now compare to few hours ago.
    06-28-13 01:54 PM
    Avg 12.65... gonna hold for a couple more Qs

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-28-13 01:55 PM
113,256 ... 14481449145014511452 ...