View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    As far as partnerships go, I want the numbers to be so crisp and clear that we all realize that Blackberry doesn't need a partner.

Posted via CB10
    As a canuck it would be cool to see BlackBerry go it alone and succeed, but as an investor I'd rather see BlackBerry take advantage of another manufacturers lower costs and market Penetration, as long as they don't sell their soul in the process.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    06-26-13 07:33 PM
    06-26-13 07:44 PM
    I've been a longtime reader of this thread, and while I won't have time to contribute often, I wanted to say hello and thank everyone prior to earnings.

Thank you to each of the contributors who have made (and kept) this thread educational, interesting, and well-mannered. It is unusual to find a continuous online discussion of such high quality.

As a somewhat new investor, owning BBRY has been a crash course on many facets of the market. I am now comfortable with terms and concepts that would have baffled me last year. This thread has been a cornerstone of that education, as well as bedrock of sanity when I've read too many negative articles or seen too many inexplicable drops in the share price. I am long BBRY shares and long-term calls, intending to hold for a year plus, but I've also bought some cheap "lottery ticket" short-term calls in case a squeeze materializes.

Two things I am wondering:

1. If the earnings report is positive, I don't know if the shorts can slowly unwind their position, or if there will be a huge event. However, if shares are truly difficult to borrow at this point, what tools do shorts have at their disposal to keep the share price down? The only ones that come to mind are a) blocks of actual BBRY shares they own, which they can offer for sale at strategic times, even for a loss b) naked short sales (if they can pull them off), and c) propagating negative information about BlackBerry. Am I missing any other weapons in their arsenal?

2. If a short squeeze ever happens, some point out that it could play out over months, or could be over in a short amount of time. I take seriously the saying about bulls, bears, and pigs, but if there IS a squeeze, what signs can guide us about its trajectory, and when to sell and lock in profit? Volume? Signals from institutional owners? Could institutional owners release shares for sale and short circuit a squeeze? If the share price rises, I've been thinking about setting up a trailing stop percentage to lock in profits, but I'm open to other suggestions!

Seriously, thank you again! Best of luck on Friday and in the days ahead!
    Welcome and thanks for the kind words. I know we all appreciate that others, although not participants, gain as much from this thread as we do. It's definitely nice to have more outside validation. Unfortunately, due to the fact that this is my first stock and first time being able to experience, first hand, the potential for a squeeze, I can't really answer your questions but do look forward to seeing what others come up with.

Thanks again and good luck with your trades. We look forward to any additional input you may have here.
    06-26-13 07:49 PM
    As monday is a holiday in Canada, does anyone know if it is still possible to trade on the american exchange using my RBC direct investing account?
    06-26-13 08:08 PM
    matthewriedle!

If these charts were ski runs, they would all be black flagged man!

I bought some ABX for my mother-in-laws account. I hated it for years, went neutral on it 2 years ago and finally committed some money to it. I think the balance of my purchases in gold will be IAM Gold at this point. Maybe some Silver Wheaton too, but that's it, I prefer healthcare, energy and tech.. GL
    Thanks Morgan! I guess the only other consideration is if you like your mother in-law or not...
    =)
    06-26-13 08:08 PM
    Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 08:10 PM
    yes
    As monday is a holiday in Canada, does anyone know if it is still possible to trade on the american exchange using my RBC direct investing account?
    austinjeep likes this.
    06-26-13 08:10 PM
    Thanks again and good luck with your trades. We look forward to any additional input you may have here.
    Thank you, CJ, I appreciate that. I hope to be able to chime in from time to time!

I will add that I agree with many people here - while BlackBerry's future is uncertain, and BBRY (or BB.TO) is not a surefire investment, the quality of analysis on the bull side is far, far superior to that on the bear side. I wish I remembered who said this the other day in this thread, but it truly does not take much research time to invalidate several of the most prominent bearish arguments. I think if you step waayyyy back and view two sides of a debate, and you know one side consistently leaves out or misrepresents information, rather than just interpreting things differently... it really sets off some alarm bells.
    06-26-13 08:13 PM
    06-26-13 08:29 PM
    Synaptics SYNA makes the chips for touchscreens used by BBRY has upped outlook citing stronger-than-expected sale.

Synaptics Raises Fiscal Fourth Quarter Outlook; To Announce Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2013 Results on August 1, 2013 - Yahoo! Finance
    06-26-13 08:33 PM
    That's a bold statement to make from Microsoft considering their statistic is based on Q1 smartphone shipments and that only included 1 month of Z10 sales in select markets.

I would be very surprised if the next quarter numbers Microsoft is still "ahead" in shipments.
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and psy fi like this.
    Dang, they are starting early. Tomorrow may not be so nice.

BlackBerry to release first-quarter earns Friday - Canada news - Boston.com
    06-26-13 08:35 PM
    Only 35,000 shares available for short? Man if they beat big on Fri this will be similar to VW.

View Shortable Stocks
    06-26-13 08:36 PM
    Hello everyone from Spain! Still on my vacation and just got back to the hotel from a night out in town. Its 3:30 AM here and I'm checking CB, go figure! Nice to see BBRY make some nice gains and I'm really hoping for a nice day on Friday. It's amazing how much catching up you gotta do on this thread when you're not on every day. So much info. Anyways, let's keep this going!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 08:36 PM
    That's a bold statement to make from Microsoft considering their statistic is based on Q1 smartphone shipments and that only included 1 month of Z10 sales in select markets.

I would be very surprised if the next quarter numbers Microsoft is still "ahead" in shipments.
    I don't think it's about the value or truth of the article. Focus on the bears starting to post crap starting now through tomorrow. We may see very bad things tomorrow whether they are true or not. We'll see.
    fedakd and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 08:38 PM
    Hello everyone from Spain! Still on my vacation and just got back to the hotel from a night out in town. Its 3:30 AM here and I'm checking CB, go figure! Nice to see BBRY make some nice gains and I'm really hoping for a nice day on Friday. It's amazing how much catching up you gotta do on this thread when you're not on every day. So much info. Anyways, let's keep this going!

Posted via CB10
    Hey buddy, have a nightcap on me. Lol. Wish I was on vacation there. Have a great time!
    leafs123 and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 08:40 PM
    Only 35,000 shares available for short? Man if they beat big on Fri this will be similar to VW.

View Shortable Stocks
    I'm pretty sure that's just from that particular brokerage. Not a real representation of what's available.
    06-26-13 08:44 PM
    I could post one after another but you can check what's hitting the news without me. It's going to get much worse.

No Instagram For Blackberry 10 Anytime Soon | Ubergizmo
    06-26-13 08:47 PM
    I could post one after another but you can check what's hitting the news without me. It's going to get much worse.

No Instagram For Blackberry 10 Anytime Soon | Ubergizmo
    I wouldn't worry about this stuff. We had 3 sell ratings on Monday from "real" analysts and still gained without a hitch. These blogs for the tech world are just noise and the bears attempt at slowing things down. It's all old news, and may be heard, but this stuff is childs play considering what we've been hearing for the last 6 months plus.
    06-26-13 08:51 PM

Hey...Whoa....SHOTS FIRED!!!! *Pew Pew*.
    06-26-13 08:52 PM
    As far as partnerships go, I want the numbers to be so crisp and clear that we all realize that Blackberry doesn't need a partner.
    As a canuck it would be cool to see BlackBerry go it alone and succeed, but as an investor I'd rather see BlackBerry take advantage of another manufacturers lower costs and market Penetration, as long as they don't sell their soul in the process.
    I "liked" both of these posts, and I don't think they're in conflict.

I want BB to be doing well enough that nobody thinks they need a partner. Take that, shorts.

Then I want to see them go into one or more sensible partnerships anyway, and make us even more money.

As with outsourcing, companies shouldn't try to do everything themselves. "Stick to the knitting," I believe someone once said.
    06-26-13 08:54 PM
    I wouldn't worry about this stuff. We had 3 sell ratings on Monday from "real" analysts and still gained without a hitch. These blogs for the tech world are just noise and the bears attempt at slowing things down. It's all old news, and may be heard, but this stuff is childs play considering what we've been hearing for the last 6 months plus.
    Agreed.

Best part is, it seems those in BBRY now are in it for the long haul. We have been shrugging off downgrades & hits all week. Not the same BBRY I remember when BS reports would send this stock spiraling down.

Imagine being on the other side of the fence right now, when your explosive artillery (BS reports) no longer force back the advance but merely tickle it.

LONG.

Very Long.
    Last edited by Compaqee; 06-26-13 at 09:16 PM.
    06-26-13 08:56 PM
    Ok... If they are not giving guidance, why would they bother giving warnings? Who do they need to warn, and why? Their job is to actually destroy the street... No?
    They did give guidance of a flat quarter.

Earnings are given to fend off shareholder lawsuits.

They need to warn investors for the reason provided above.

Most companies think growing share price is their job. The good companies realize that their job is to take care of the company and by doing so, share price will follow.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:02 PM
    Reed Richards' post leads me to wonder what the assembled brains in this thread think the "fair" price would be today if the short interest was at a much more reasonable (typical) level and the market was allowed to choose the price in a more balanced manner. One might think this would be approximately where the price would settle after it spikes way up in a hypothetical short squeeze.
    Reed Richards and Acumenight like this.
    06-26-13 09:08 PM
113,256 ... 13941395139613971398 ...