View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    agree. I think there would have to be a suprise announcement during the ER (ie significant rise in Sub base, or better yet partnerhip deal with Lenovo or Sony)

At this stage, I think BB would have issued a profit warning if they totally destroyed the street
    Ok... If they are not giving guidance, why would they bother giving warnings? Who do they need to warn, and why? Their job is to actually destroy the street... No?
    06-26-13 06:18 PM
    Has it dawned in anyone that in the past few months, 10 or so, Blackberry has beat Apple to market with 3 phones and possibly a 4th this fall. When in the frig was the last time that has happened. Apple hasnt even come out with a 5s, because they're stuck with so many parts for the 5.

In my humble opinion, if the numbers Friday don't give a more clear reason as to why this stock should be higher than 15 then us longs that have been enduring this stress for months don't deserve to be rewarded for or patience and bravery.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 06:20 PM
    I couldn't have agreed with you more. I too have to thank Morgan as well for sharing the stories and his insight/expertise. can't be more glad to have stumble my way to this forum and to have see so many kind and nice people sharing their experiences.

I'm a noob when it comes to this whole investing thing as well and a lot of time the discussions are way beyond my head, but i know for a fact that having Morgan here makes me feel more confident than ever investing in BBRY.

the words "Thank you" could not describe my level of appreciations to Morgan for guiding and sharing with all the great people on this forum.!!

I can't wait to one day if i'm lucky enough to meet everyone, especially you Morgan. If one day you ever decide to visit Vancouver, Canada. let me know!!
    abouthsu , Cecilia_cc and others !!!

Hey, thank you!! I'm here taking tons of information away from this thread every day! I enjoy finding all of the latest news on one polite thread and there are some really brilliant investors on this site. So don't think for a minute that I'm contributing much, I'm a taker! LOL

My only advantage is that of experience through time, I have seen plenty and rub shoulders with some big players, and in every case, I learn something from each encounter. I'm sure you guys are taking in plenty of good information just like I did for years now.

I will take you up on that visit to Vancouver abouthsu!! We love Vancouver and my last visit there (less than a year ago) was with my father as part of a cross Canada train ride for 11 days. I have relatives there, I ski North of there and love everything about the city. The downside is that I can't board a plane yet, I need to finish with my surgeries (2 more) and then pass a pressure test of some sort and then they will let me fly! We hope that day will come in February of 2014 so hang in there! The first trip has to be to a Sandals Resort in Antigua, if you know what I mean! After that, Vancouver is on the list for sure.

Look, I hope that some of the CB members aren't rushing into buy BBRY thinking it is a bullet proof investment, it isn't. But I do hope many of you are learning something from all of the great information posted by all of us here. For instance, if I'm not here for some reason, just ask CJ to look at the Bollinger Bands and he'll tell you why we couldn't close above the upper Band today. All of the info I provide is readily available through others here. Best of luck and thanks again for even mentioning me!
    06-26-13 06:25 PM
    I'd rather hear a partnership or licensing announcement more than anything other than a decent earnings call. Otherwise, I reckon we'll either have a repeat of last call or worse.
    Acumenight likes this.
    06-26-13 06:25 PM
    Just saw a segment on BlackBerry on BNN. The host basically said BBRY is not valued at the correct price and Friday will dictate whether it's supposed to trade higher or lower. I don't think we've had an earning report this highly anticipated. Going to be wild.
    06-26-13 06:27 PM
    I hope all of you become very, very rich. This stock is making me completely nervous. It's just been such a roller coaster ride.

EDIT: To add. I'm still primarily concerned with September when things settle out a bit and the pent up demand for BBRY is more realistic long term.
    06-26-13 06:27 PM
    Has it dawned in anyone that in the past few months, 10 or so, Blackberry has beat Apple to market with 3 phones and possibly a 4th this fall. When in the frig was the last time that has happened. Apple hasnt even come out with a 5s, because they're stuck with so many parts for the 5.

In my humble opinion, if the numbers Friday don't give a more clear reason as to why this stock should be higher than 15 then us longs that have been enduring this stress for months don't deserve to be rewarded for or patience and bravery.

Posted via CB10
    Apple has always done 1 phone per year so I don't think that is a legitimate comparison. They will be launching their next one in the fall at around the same time the 5 came out. Soon we will hear about the new iPad and iPad mini as well. This is how they do things. As for not being deserved for believing that this stock is worth more.... hogwash. The numbers will be what they will be but whether or not we deserve to be rewarded is moot, as many of us may, or may not, deserve many things we get or lose in life.
    rarsen, bungaboy and FocusedBerry like this.
    06-26-13 06:28 PM
    True, but my comment wasn't about trading BBRY. It was about borrowing credit to buy stocks. I'm also no expert in that area either, just my friendly opinion.
    I meant anything to do with said BBRY trading, including what you use as your source of money.

(Some of my BBRY came from a line of credit too. For my situation, that's reasonable. :-) )
    06-26-13 06:31 PM
    Apple has always done 1 phone per year so I don't think that is a legitimate comparison. They will be launching their next one in the fall at around the same time the 5 came out. Soon we will hear about the new iPad and iPad mini as well. This is how they do things. As for not being deserved for believing that this stock is worth more.... hogwash. The numbers will be what they will be but whether or not we deserve to be rewarded is moot, as many of us may, or may not, deserve many things we get or lose in life.
    What um really saying is that Blackberry always spoke about products only to keep delaying them. They have now come out with phones on time!!

Apple hasnt always waited a year. I could have swore they cut down the time when the 3, 3s, 4, 4s came out. People expected a 5s this summer.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 06:37 PM
    Replacement of lost BIS service revenue is going to have to be dealt with straight up. I'm hoping that the guidance for this element leaves no questions or doubt. Silence to questions about this will be tantamount to a bullet to the head.

I have to admit that it's most worrisome,for me, that there may be awkward pauses or non-responses. It's happened before and I'm not convinced that it won't happen again.
    06-26-13 06:39 PM
    As far as partnerships go, I want the numbers to be so crisp and clear that we all realize that Blackberry doesn't need a partner.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 06:39 PM
    What um really saying is that Blackberry always spoke about products only to keep delaying them. They have now come out with phones on time!!

Apple hasnt always waited a year. I could have swore they cut down the time when the 3, 3s, 4, 4s came out. People expected a 5s this summer.

Posted via CB10
    I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it used to be a June/July launch. It got pushed back last time but it's still 1 phone per year to match their iOS version.
    06-26-13 06:41 PM
    Replacement of lost BIS service revenue is going to have to be dealt with straight up. I'm hoping that the guidance for this element leaves no questions or doubt. Silence to questions about this will be tantamount to a bullet to the head.

I have to admit that it's most worrisome,for me, that there may be awkward pauses or non-responses. It's happened before and I'm not convinced that it won't happen again.
    There are already 2 area's to make up the lost BIS revenue.... 1 is BES10 which will widen their MDM scope, and the other is BBM Channels by selling the advertising. Channels alone will more than make up for BIS revenue.
    06-26-13 06:44 PM
    Morgan, I'm a Vancouver dude too so come on up next spring! Don't know if you follow NHL but we just hired a new coach for Canucks -the always flappable "John Torts from Rangers so it's gonna be an interesting next season and it's what the team needs! Funny cuz they got our old coach- AV. Go figure. Long BBRY!
    abouthsu , Cecilia_cc and others !!!

Hey, thank you!! I'm here taking tons of information away from this thread every day! I enjoy finding all of the latest news on one polite thread and there are some really brilliant investors on this site. So don't think for a minute that I'm contributing much, I'm a taker! LOL

My only advantage is that of experience through time, I have seen plenty and rub shoulders with some big players, and in every case, I learn something from each encounter. I'm sure you guys are taking in plenty of good information just like I did for years now.

I will take you up on that visit to Vancouver abouthsu!! We love Vancouver and my last visit there (less than a year ago) was with my father as part of a cross Canada train ride for 11 days. I have relatives there, I ski North of there and love everything about the city. The downside is that I can't board a plane yet, I need to finish with my surgeries (2 more) and then pass a pressure test of some sort and then they will let me fly! We hope that day will come in February of 2014 so hang in there! The first trip has to be to a Sandals Resort in Antigua, if you know what I mean! After that, Vancouver is on the list for sure.

Look, I hope that some of the CB members aren't rushing into buy BBRY thinking it is a bullet proof investment, it isn't. But I do hope many of you are learning something from all of the great information posted by all of us here. For instance, if I'm not here for some reason, just ask CJ to look at the Bollinger Bands and he'll tell you why we couldn't close above the upper Band today. All of the info I provide is readily available through others here. Best of luck and thanks again for even mentioning me!
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-26-13 06:47 PM
    Hi pacho69!

I commented on IMG-T which is IAM Gold, in a few of my messages today, I like it too. Either one looks like a great buy when the time is right. I will suddenly buy a block of one of them and if I can remember, I'll post to the board. I think big funds are clearing them out of their accounts for the end of the quarter. We need to see gold bottom out in the $ 1100 area before I will buy all of the block. I might be buying some of it very soon as in the next few days. Below $ 1200 an oz. many miners aren't profitable, that's my cue to think about buying in here. We are close so I'll let you know when I make my first purchase!
    Hey Morgan, any thoughts about abx? I like the dividend (I'm a DGI and value inv) and think it's oversold especially if they scale back major expansion which they seem to be.
    06-26-13 06:54 PM
    sounds good Morgan, sorry for the dumb question, but when u say "buy a block" are we talking @ 20,000-30,000 shares? jeez, i'll probably be in there with @ 3,000 but it depends on this Friday am if u know what I mean.
    Hi pacho69!

I commented on IMG-T which is IAM Gold, in a few of my messages today, I like it too. Either one looks like a great buy when the time is right. I will suddenly buy a block of one of them and if I can remember, I'll post to the board. I think big funds are clearing them out of their accounts for the end of the quarter. We need to see gold bottom out in the $ 1100 area before I will buy all of the block. I might be buying some of it very soon as in the next few days. Below $ 1200 an oz. many miners aren't profitable, that's my cue to think about buying in here. We are close so I'll let you know when I make my first purchase!
    06-26-13 06:55 PM
    There are already 2 area's to make up the lost BIS revenue.... 1 is BES10 which will widen their MDM scope, and the other is BBM Channels by selling the advertising. Channels alone will more than make up for BIS revenue.
    I know but I do worry about Heins response to questions about it.

I'm actually very excited about the earnings potential going forward but it has to be communicated properly. Reactions to uncertainty with this stock are ferocious.
    06-26-13 06:56 PM
    I bought 220 @ 17.30, then another 220@ 12.10 and recently 460 @ 14.10 to get me too 900 shares. I'm taking money outta my line of credit to do this. It if shares hit $100 in a year I can pay my mortage off. I may borrow more and aim for a retirement fund
    Wowowowowowow.
    I strongly suggest you take back and refund your credit as soon as possible. I'll put capped sell order right now. Borrowing to trade is probably the worst idea I can imagine.
    Sorry, By no mean I want to attack you personally, but $100 within a year will require a divine intervention.
    Please consider a reasonable jump at E.R ( something between $16 and 18), cash back for 80% and keep the 20% in line for the future.

OMG I hate to write that... 2AM here... if this post is unclear - it is 100% friendly - please gang make it clearer if my English is confusing.

NEVER invest money you cannot afford to lose 100%, and NEVER borrow to invest. What you bring in the game must be FREE CASH.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 06:58 PM
    Hows about the battle for 15 today! Love the beatdown and the challenge again. I have a feeling with the shorters its gonna be an epic war to pass through each dollar. I believe today we saw an epic battle and hope we can gain momentum and steam roll them.

I doubt the TSX can get past 19 on Friday. Also feel like tomorrow we finish above 16 but that's it. Should be interesting if we dont pass 20 within 2 weeks. It will be more up and down
    06-26-13 06:59 PM
    I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it used to be a June/July launch. It got pushed back last time but it's still 1 phone per year to match their iOS version.
    I had to look it up, but I thought you were close to right:

1st gen: June 29, 2007
    3G: July 11, 2008
    3GS: June 19, 2009
    4: June 24, 2010
    4S: October 14, 2011
    5: September 21, 2012

Seems the 4 to 4S was the biggest time space.

Sorry to post Apple info in this thread.
    06-26-13 07:08 PM
    Hey Morgan, any thoughts about abx? I like the dividend (I'm a DGI and value inv) and think it's oversold especially if they scale back major expansion which they seem to be.
    matthewriedle!

If these charts were ski runs, they would all be black flagged man!

I bought some ABX for my mother-in-laws account. I hated it for years, went neutral on it 2 years ago and finally committed some money to it. I think the balance of my purchases in gold will be IAM Gold at this point. Maybe some Silver Wheaton too, but that's it, I prefer healthcare, energy and tech.. GL
    The put-call ratio climbed to 1.04 today, meaning that the negative sentiment is growing for BBRY today. It seems that the media and the sharts have done their jobs well. Now, Thor just has to do his own job well and we're lifting off.
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    Wowowowowowow.
    I strongly suggest you take back and refund your credit as soon as possible. I'll put capped sell order right now. Borrowing to trade is probably the worst idea I can imagine.
    Sorry, By no mean I want to attack you personally, but $100 within a year will require a divine intervention.
    Please consider a reasonable jump at E.R ( something between $16 and 18), cash back for 80% and keep the 20% in line for the future.

OMG I hate to write that... 2AM here... if this post is unclear - it is 100% friendly - please gang make it clearer if my English is confusing.

NEVER invest money you cannot afford to lose 100%, and NEVER borrow to invest. What you bring in the game must be FREE CASH.

Posted via CB10
    Well in some cases, leveraging up to invest makes sense. Of course there is a limit to how leveraged you want to be and depends on your situation overall.
    peter9477 and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 07:11 PM
    sounds good Morgan, sorry for the dumb question, but when u say "buy a block" are we talking @ 20,000-30,000 shares? jeez, i'll probably be in there with @ 3,000 but it depends on this Friday am if u know what I mean.
    It depends on the price of the stock but an IMG-TO purchase would be 100,000 at a time. I will place orders for 10,000 to 20,000 at a time though, but it will be completed within a day. It's like a Call Option, they are so cheap right now, it was $ 16.00/shr in the Fall of 2012. I was lining up my trade for IMG-to tonight, perhaps selling Naked $ 4.00 Puts out to the Fall and gaining the stock that way. I like round numbers when I buy something so I can mentally do the math on where I'm at with the trade. I won't say what I own in BBRY though, "but its a block". I do have plenty tied up in BlackBerry and when that money is free, the rest of my purchases will come much easier. For some reason, I can't stop buying BBRY!
    06-26-13 07:17 PM
    I've been a longtime reader of this thread, and while I won't have time to contribute often, I wanted to say hello and thank everyone prior to earnings.

Thank you to each of the contributors who have made (and kept) this thread educational, interesting, and well-mannered. It is unusual to find a continuous online discussion of such high quality.

As a somewhat new investor, owning BBRY has been a crash course on many facets of the market. I am now comfortable with terms and concepts that would have baffled me last year. This thread has been a cornerstone of that education, as well as bedrock of sanity when I've read too many negative articles or seen too many inexplicable drops in the share price. I am long BBRY shares and long-term calls, intending to hold for a year plus, but I've also bought some cheap "lottery ticket" short-term calls in case a squeeze materializes.

Two things I am wondering:

1. If the earnings report is positive, I don't know if the shorts can slowly unwind their position, or if there will be a huge event. However, if shares are truly difficult to borrow at this point, what tools do shorts have at their disposal to keep the share price down? The only ones that come to mind are a) blocks of actual BBRY shares they own, which they can offer for sale at strategic times, even for a loss b) naked short sales (if they can pull them off), and c) propagating negative information about BlackBerry. Am I missing any other weapons in their arsenal?

2. If a short squeeze ever happens, some point out that it could play out over months, or could be over in a short amount of time. I take seriously the saying about bulls, bears, and pigs, but if there IS a squeeze, what signs can guide us about its trajectory, and when to sell and lock in profit? Volume? Signals from institutional owners? Could institutional owners release shares for sale and short circuit a squeeze? If the share price rises, I've been thinking about setting up a trailing stop percentage to lock in profits, but I'm open to other suggestions!

Seriously, thank you again! Best of luck on Friday and in the days ahead!
    06-26-13 07:32 PM
113,250 ... 13931394139513961397 ...