View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Don�t expect a big move from BlackBerry this week
    Even if BlackBerry (TSX:BB) beats the street later this week, the resulting move from its stock probably won�t amount to much, says one analyst.

Peter Hodson, Head of Research at 5i Research Inc., was on BNN�s Market Call on Friday with with host Mark Bunting to talk about small and midcap stocks.

Hodson says there �won�t be a whole lot of excitement� around BlackBerry in the next three to six months. He says the company has come back from the dead, and investors have rewarded it for that, but that it now needs to prove itself for the next leg up, which will be more difficult.

He notes that BlackBerry has a good cash position and has returned to competitive form, but the business it has returned to has grown tougher, with more global players.

Hodson says good numbers in the company�s upcoming Q1 might might make BlackBerry�s stock react, but that pop will probably amount to no more than two dollars. The 5i research head says BlackBerry is an �emotional� stock that trades quarter-to-quarter, and that he prefers stocks that are more predictable and have less competition.

Don't expect a big move from BlackBerry this week, says 5i's Hodson
    Thanks, WHoa, for posting this. You gotta love this guy. There are three possibilities for BBRY stock movement after this Friday's ER: The stock will go up, the stock will go down, or the stock will stay the same. We've got plenty of analysts who predict that BBRY will either sink or pop on Friday but just a handful who predict that it will do virtually nothing. Each analyst wants to be right so they can own bragging rights--it's just good PR for them and for their firm.

[In this analyst's case, I'd want to know more about why his firm is called "5i"--is that some sort of subliminal reference to our chief competitor?... ]

But there is a more serious point here (more directed at new traders than experienced ones): Anyone faced with three curtains (up, down, neutral) can end up choosing the "right" one--even if they give all sorts of reasons that explain why they made a particular choice. Choosing the right curtain doesn't endow an analyst with any sort of prescience. What's important is an analyst's ability to be consistently correct about his or her pre-ER analysis. So if this analyst ends up being correct and BBRY doesn't move more than 2 points or so after ER then it doesn't mean that we should necessarily give his next pre-ER prediction any sort of special consideration. Finally, we should always consider the time horizon implied by an analyst's "prediction". It's entirely possible that BBRY could pop and then settle back. Would that mean this analyst got it right or not?
    06-26-13 09:22 AM
    Hahaha...reading the posts I thought we had taken off in the rocket. Still only revving on the ground yet.
    Looks more like a burn out thats bouncing off the rev limiter. Just keeps banging between 14.70 and 14.80
    Charles Martin1 and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 09:23 AM
    Morgan what happens if we hit $15+ today?

Posted via CB10
    Ha! Ha!

I would like to see it go above $ 20.00/shr on Friday, that would destroy the Bollinger Bands as an indicator but I'm greedy that way. We are trying so hard to hold the gap up this morning and to clear and hold the $ 14.75/shr level. I can't tell you if we can do that this early in the trade but we are trying hard here. A breakout of the $ 14.75/shr level leaves us without resistance all the way to your $ 15.00 level but those BB's won't let us get there. So a move above $ 15.00/shr today means something big is a foot. Like I mentioned earlier, if we clear $ 14.75/shr today and close around the $ 14.80's after hitting a new HOD, I would be very happy with that. Now, a favourable DoD decision tomorrow wouldn't hurt either!

Like you, I want it higher and only the BB's are holding it back here. My, that gap up does look good doesn't it?
    06-26-13 09:24 AM
    Hahaha...reading the posts I thought we had taken off in the rocket. Still only revving on the ground yet.
    The mood in here has definately lifted. Back on track for good I hope.
    06-26-13 09:24 AM
    Thanks, WHoa, for posting this. You gotta love this guy. There are three possibilities for BBRY stock movement after this Friday's ER: The stock will go up, the stock will go down, or the stock will stay the same. We've got plenty of analysts who predict that BBRY will either sink or pop on Friday but just a handful who predict that it will do virtually nothing. Each analyst wants to be right so they can own bragging rights--it's just good PR for them and for their firm.

[In this analyst's case, I'd want to know more about why his firm is called "5i"--is that some sort of subliminal reference to our chief competitor?... ]

But there is a more serious point here (more directed at new traders than experienced ones): Anyone faced with three curtains (up, down, neutral) can end up choosing the "right" one--even if they give all sorts of reasons that explain why they made a particular choice. Choosing the right curtain doesn't endow an analyst with any sort of prescience. What's important is an analyst's ability to be consistently correct about his or her pre-ER analysis. So if this analyst ends up being correct and BBRY doesn't move more than 2 points or so after ER then it doesn't mean that we should necessarily give his next pre-ER prediction any sort of special consideration. Finally, we should always consider the time horizon implied by an analyst's "prediction". It's entirely possible that BBRY could pop and then settle back. Would that mean this analyst got it right or not?
    Pop, plunge, soar.

That's why I'm selling 50% tomorrow evening.
    06-26-13 09:25 AM
    Nice move here..... And after a triple touch of 14.70 to get the spring we needed
    06-26-13 09:27 AM
    Badminton? Really?
    Lol, yeah! It's pretty good, to be honest.
    06-26-13 09:31 AM
    Only for the fit and agile!

Posted via CB10
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 09:32 AM
    Only for the fit and agile!

Posted via CB10
    Nah, to be really good at badminton , you have to set down your beer! LOL
    06-26-13 09:34 AM
    I'm out.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:34 AM
    Morgan

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:35 AM
    So that's been my problem all these years....
    ibpluto, lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 09:35 AM
    Wow...what just happened!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:38 AM
    Nope, I once played with beer in hand. Almost knocked out my front teeth...LOL
    Still revving...c'mon $15!
    I think we'll see $15 today
    06-26-13 09:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:39 AM
    No serious lifting until we break $15...the weak SHORTS will run to cover then.
    06-26-13 09:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Annouced Blackberry Q5 to be released in India in July.

Q5 from the house of Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB) was unveiled last month, and it will be priced less than Rs. 25000, according to the sources. In Dubai, the price of Q5 is approximately set at $400. Q5 will be available in four skins- red, black white and pink.

Blackberry Q5 is the third phone in the series of OS10 running phones. Q5 will come up with QWERTY keyboard, which is a major differentiating factor of Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB), compared to other Android phones and iPhones.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-26-13 09:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    Now the party is going to get started! Lol
    Shanerredflag and cjcampbell like this.
    Nope, I once played with beer in hand. Almost knocked out my front teeth...LOL
    There seems to be an inverse relationship between the quality of our jokes and the price of the stock! LOL

Let's hear some more bad jokes please; .............. how about the one where the "Hedge Fund owner in New Jersey uses an iPhone to do business against a competitor of Apple .................... and the SEC tracks all of his messages" ...............................
    06-26-13 09:45 AM
    There seems to be an inverse relationship between the quality of our jokes and the price of the stock! LOL

Let's hear some more bad jokes please; .............. how about the one where the "Hedge Fund owner in New Jersey uses an iPhone to do business against a competitor of Apple .................... and the SEC tracks all of his messages" ...............................
    Horse walks into a bar ......bartender says "hey, why the long face?"
    06-26-13 09:45 AM
    Slow but sure gents! I was a wee bit worried at the start of the day, but this is shaping up
    to be another 3% gain today. Fingers crossed!!!!!
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 09:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because you are out!
    06-26-13 09:47 AM
113,250 ... 13831384138513861387 ...