View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    However, we just flat out do not believe that guidance. We expect both gross margins and ASPs to be significantly higher on the back of the BB 10 launches and as a result drive decent profitability for the company

I think is isn't that great . The beat is great, but BBRY already has a credibility gap on Wall Street. If the CEO grossly underestimated the quarter, even if it is an underestimate and upside surprise this time, the street isn't going to believe him going forward. That is not good and can hurt in the long run. .
    Respectively, I disagree with you. Right after the ER on Q4, people (including me) said that Hen was setting up a bear trap for the short.
    If they beat Q1 big, then they will provide no guidance or low guidance again to set up another huge upside on next Q.
    This strategy will greatly benefit the long term investors while trapping and killing the bears.
    Hen gets my full respect on this.
    06-26-13 12:28 AM
    Hi! Does anyone remember how we found out that Jim Balsilie had sold his entire holding in BBRY? I'm just wondering if it's the same reason why Mike Lazaridis no longer shows up as a shareholder.. and that Balsilie might still hold his entire position which is <10% but not obligated to report? Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 12:32 AM
    Don�t expect a big move from BlackBerry this week
    Even if BlackBerry (TSX:BB) beats the street later this week, the resulting move from its stock probably won�t amount to much, says one analyst.

Peter Hodson, Head of Research at 5i Research Inc., was on BNN�s Market Call on Friday with with host Mark Bunting to talk about small and midcap stocks.

Hodson says there �won�t be a whole lot of excitement� around BlackBerry in the next three to six months. He says the company has come back from the dead, and investors have rewarded it for that, but that it now needs to prove itself for the next leg up, which will be more difficult.

He notes that BlackBerry has a good cash position and has returned to competitive form, but the business it has returned to has grown tougher, with more global players.

Hodson says good numbers in the company�s upcoming Q1 might might make BlackBerry�s stock react, but that pop will probably amount to no more than two dollars. The 5i research head says BlackBerry is an �emotional� stock that trades quarter-to-quarter, and that he prefers stocks that are more predictable and have less competition.

Don't expect a big move from BlackBerry this week, says 5i's Hodson
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    06-26-13 12:33 AM
    Samsung Appoints Rob Orr as new European Telecommunications Vice President | RapidBerry

UK VP went to samsung..Not good. Samsung must have offered big package or saw dark BB future..
    snejpa likes this.
    06-26-13 12:51 AM
    Wow, treason in the ranks is not good. They must have fired him when they found out he was talking to Sammy

Samsung Appoints Rob Orr as new European Telecommunications Vice President | RapidBerry

UK VP went to samsung..Not good. Samsung must have offered big package or saw dark BB future..
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-26-13 01:04 AM
    Hi! Does anyone remember how we found out that Jim Balsilie had sold his entire holding in BBRY? I'm just wondering if it's the same reason why Mike Lazaridis no longer shows up as a shareholder.. and that Balsilie might still hold his entire position which is <10% but not obligated to report? Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    Balsillie. NASDAQ | SEC Filing

Laziridis
    NASDAQ | SEC Filing
    06-26-13 01:12 AM

That explains a lot. No longer looks as though he left because things in UK weren't going well.

Looks more like Samsung tried to poach him and succeeded?

Posted via CB10
    matthewriedle and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 03:04 AM
    Don’t expect a big move from BlackBerry this week
    Even if BlackBerry (TSX:BB) beats the street later this week, the resulting move from its stock probably won’t amount to much, says one analyst.

Peter Hodson, Head of Research at 5i Research Inc., was on BNN’s Market Call on Friday with with host Mark Bunting to talk about small and midcap stocks.

Hodson says there “won’t be a whole lot of excitement” around BlackBerry in the next three to six months. He says the company has come back from the dead, and investors have rewarded it for that, but that it now needs to prove itself for the next leg up, which will be more difficult.

He notes that BlackBerry has a good cash position and has returned to competitive form, but the business it has returned to has grown tougher, with more global players.

Hodson says good numbers in the company’s upcoming Q1 might might make BlackBerry’s stock react, but that pop will probably amount to no more than two dollars. The 5i research head says BlackBerry is an “emotional” stock that trades quarter-to-quarter, and that he prefers stocks that are more predictable and have less competition.

Don't expect a big move from BlackBerry this week, says 5i's Hodson
    I believe that if we actually see a $2 jump, some shorts are going to wet their pants instantly ...
    But I do agree with the statement about proof to be made on a longer term, while I'm not questioning about success !
    Next E.R is a passing point, very important, but what we want here, is to tick one more "done" checkbox (namely: enterprise penetration: the heart of the target).
    IMHO, timing is good to settle positive enterprises enrolment into BES10 programs and specifically non-BB MDM/BYOD CALs first week figures.

Next E.R (sept) will be the time for Q5 (and maybe Aristo ?) + more enterprises transformation and service fees reports.
    If successful, then we might see the bears back to hibernation mode ... and the stock raise accordingly to the figures, finally !

Edited :
    More globally, did you noticed how all this is handled ? Each E.R we have something new, just started. If firsts returns are good, this is publicity, if they are neutral or not that good, they can state "it's just started" and adapt to improve results. No P.R blah, no fight : deliver-deliver-deliver.
    This.is.brilliant.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-26-13 at 03:44 AM.
    06-26-13 03:29 AM
    That explains a lot. No longer looks as though he left because things in UK weren't going well.
    Looks more like Samsung tried to poach him and succeeded?
    No biggie.
    Remember, EMEA VP is (French) Christophe Lefort, not Orr. So this is a big promotion for Orr, no need to headache with any other "whys". Just a normal career plan. That's the game.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-26-13 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Christophe Lefort, Not Eric.
    06-26-13 03:31 AM
    ok, that makes more sense. I still disagree though. If you look at the statcounter graphs, whether you believe the overall numbers or not, on every one that BBRY is up on, there is a corresponding apple downturn due to what I believe is that the companies attract similar types of buyers, upper income etc, Apple's lost most of what they are going to lose to android, now it's are they going to be able to hold on to enough of their real base, imho.
    Just remember that those "well heeled" iPhone users have the money to change phones at will. I see loyalty to the company offering the most technology and not a brand. All the smartphone makers are banging their heads on the technology ceilings as there is just so much we can get our phones to do with today's level of technology. This leaves the software/OS that runs our phones. This is where the Blackberry has the chance to shine as it is new and still morphing. Sure, some Apple users moved to the S4. I admit that I even tried one on a spare line for my company. As good as is was, it will not be replacing my 5 in the near future. My company depends on the iPhones and the iPads for field work and the Apple system works quite well together. Nothing spectacular but it works without flaw for our purposes.

I do look with great interest at the A10 and the software improvements that will come with it.
    06-26-13 04:15 AM
    Pre market was busy. Mostly red but now green.

Today will be very interesting.
    06-26-13 04:19 AM
    Just remember that those "well heeled" iPhone users have the money to change phones at will. I see loyalty to the company offering the most technology and not a brand. All the smartphone makers are banging their heads on the technology ceilings as there is just so much we can get our phones to do with today's level of technology. This leaves the software/OS that runs our phones. This is where the Blackberry has the chance to shine as it is new and still morphing. Sure, some Apple users moved to the S4. I admit that I even tried one on a spare line for my company. As good as is was, it will not be replacing my 5 in the near future. My company depends on the iPhones and the iPads for field work and the Apple system works quite well together. Nothing spectacular but it works without flaw for our purposes.

I do look with great interest at the A10 and the software improvements that will come with it.
    Seems that you perfectly fit with the "plan" wave #2 adopters ...
    Wave #1 (current) was specifically targeted among loyal BB customers; hyper connected individuals, keyboard lovers and security-aware companies
    06-26-13 04:31 AM
    However, we just flat out do not believe that guidance. We expect both gross margins and ASPs to be significantly higher on the back of the BB 10 launches and as a result drive decent profitability for the company

I think is isn't that great . The beat is great, but BBRY already has a credibility gap on Wall Street. If the CEO grossly underestimated the quarter, even if it is an underestimate and upside surprise this time, the street isn't going to believe him going forward. That is not good and can hurt in the long run. .
    Nah, LULU has done it for years. They know most analcysts are lost in the dark.
    06-26-13 04:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Nah, Balsillie stated publicly that he fully unloaded. However, he could have bought another substantial chunk after.
    bungaboy and _dimi_ like this.
    06-26-13 04:46 AM

HK and UK markets up nicely so we shouldn't have to worry about market conditions today.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    06-26-13 04:47 AM

Yeah. Might be a bit of a fight today. I'm hoping we gap up. The early interest is nice to see again. It would be nice to see our volume get back up over 50 million.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-26-13 04:50 AM
    Breakeven means breakeven. 50 or 65 cents is not breakeven. Accuracy counts on Wall St. and words have meaning. If they meant to say we were going to lose money then that is what they should have said. Being off by 50 cents means they were off by about $260M. Major corps are able to guide within a penny or two. Rightly or wrongly, once the shine wears off (about 5 minutes of trading) the street will not like it. You already have Gus saying he didn't believe it. Remember, not too long ago RIMM pre-announced and then even missed that number. I think that contributed to the sell off down to single digits. Conference call or earnings guidance is very important to the street, burning them, even to the positive side will have consequences.. It looks like at least this time it will be a positive surprise :-)
    Positive surprises are okay. Negative ones are not. My take.
    q649 and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 04:52 AM
    Yeah. Might be a bit of a fight today. I'm hoping we gap up. The early interest is nice to see again. It would be nice to see our volume get back up over 50 million.
    Good Morning Martin!

Early interest has almost been non-existant until today. Last few days have been very interesting. What today will bring is anyone's guess, but in the long run, BBRY looks to have a brighter future.

We must all remain calm and steady
    bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    06-26-13 05:02 AM
    HK and UK markets up nicely so we shouldn't have to worry about market conditions today.

BBRY has ignored the market many times. I have seen it do it's best when the market tanked!

I will admit that BBRY is "behaving" and lately following some of the markets ques.
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-13 05:03 AM
    Seems that you perfectly fit with the "plan" wave #2 adopters ...
    Wave #1 (current) was specifically targeted among loyal BB customers; hyper connected individuals, keyboard lovers and security-aware companies
    I seem to be constatly torn between wanting the "latest and greatest" hardware and yet still conservative enough to stay with what is working for me. I admit I am an equipment junkie!

Phones are nothing compared to my camera purchases, OUCH!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 06-26-13 at 05:21 AM.
    06-26-13 05:06 AM
    Positive surprises are okay. Negative ones are not. My take.
    Yeah, no worries on a positive surprise.

Who cares if the negative analysts were wrong. What are they going to do, sue BlackBerry for making money ? Everyone else is happy with a beat, investors, employees, customers, management, government, suppliers...

So a few hobos on wall street look stupid, isn't that a normal day for them?

And I think some industries are easier to give guidance on than tech stocks, particularly on a company that is in the middle of one of the largest turnarounds/reinventions in history.

bungaboy and matthewriedle like this.
    06-26-13 05:08 AM
    BBRY has ignored the market many times. I have seen it do it's best when the market tanked!

I will admit that BBRY is "behaving" and lately following some of the markets ques.
    Oh I don't doubt that BlackBerry will continue to "do its own thing" on most days, but at least we don't have to swim upstream today.

q649, bungaboy and cjcampbell like this.
    06-26-13 05:12 AM
    Looks like we are moving up again so I wont be adding anymore. Heading into Friday with 160 shares. Thinking I might sell all or half my positions next week depending on where the stock price goes. In my mind we need to pass 18.20 and 20 for some kind of short reaction. If we dont break 18.20 by next week im selling forsure and will come in at a lower price. If we get over 18.20 ill see if we sustain or head back to this ranges.
    lcjr likes this.
    06-26-13 06:00 AM
    Slowest gas fill up ever............
    Tank must have been empty . . . . . . . .
    06-26-13 06:13 AM
    I'm liking the early trend:

14.56 +0.46 (3.26%)
    Pre-market: 14.74 +0.18 (1.24%)
    Jun 26, 7:51AM EDT
    06-26-13 06:53 AM
113,256 ... 13801381138213831384 ...