View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I tried to purchase a Q10 today at Costco, they are only available to order from the warehouse and are sent to your house. The warehouse is out and they said it will be at least a few weeks before they get more in.
    06-25-13 09:36 PM
    Need an explanation. I don't understand how the simple act of shorting a share keeps the stock price down.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    All it does is add more selling pressure to the market than would normally be there. More selling = lower price.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    06-25-13 09:40 PM
    Need an explanation. I don't understand how the simple act of shorting a share keeps the stock price down.
    Shorting a stock is selling. If there are more sellers than buyers, the price of a stock will tend to fall.

By judiciously shorting during times of low volume (i.e. when there are very few buyers) you can force the share price lower than it might naturally fall.
    06-25-13 09:43 PM

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    I'm still a noob but I'll give you my basic understanding..... When they flood the market with shares for sale, the ones they've borrowed to short, there are more shares for sale than there are people looking to buy. This will drop the price based on the theory of supply and demand. Same as the end of day sell off of day traders.... they are looking to get out of their position so there is then an over supply of shares which drops the price. What stops, or slows down the decline, like as of late, is the buy side scooping up the shares at the asking price and halting any price drop. About a month ago, there was a big player who had a buy order for close to a million shares sitting just a few cents below the sp at that time. What that did was halt the price from dropping any further so even if the shorts had tried to dump a half million shares, they would have been scoped right up... had that buy order not been there, and the dumped a massive block of shares, the price would have plummeted as buyers would be placing their buy orders lower in order to get a better price.
    06-25-13 09:47 PM
    Good juan ^^^
    06-25-13 09:52 PM
    Yep, learned a hard lesson on that one. Don't want to have my finger near the sell button this time.
    I have been reading everything here for over a year I know your whole story. I have never followed a blog like this before it is a little strange getting to know so many but not participating much. Feels like voyeurism a bit, or watching a sop opera. What's Morgan going to say to day, CJ, and you.

So after my late night ramble I have heard you say a lot that you pulled from trigger too early, and it looks like ya did.

This is my first venture into a stock to this level but I got some great advice at the start. Don't buy it all in one chunk, but over a period. I first purchased at $19 and chaced it all the way down to $7, then a little on the way up. Worked great.

So on the way up, same thing. There will be a time when it will feel like the stock value matches the company value. Likely somewhere between $28 & $40. When I feel that point I will sell around 20%. Then liquidated around another %30 over a period. The rest will stay put for returns on future potential if I still see that happening and I bet I do.

Now something about me. I am so all in its not funny. I just couldn't see how they could fail. I have used a good chunk of retirement money on BB stocks and the last of our equity on our house. Crazy right?

Funny thing, I have rarefied worried about something so little, it feels almost like a gift.

On the topic of the shorts, without those "bb dead on arrival" statements and the stupid James Faucet's of the world this opportunity for me would have never existed.

Remember this companies book value is around $19 and we all know the potential is somewhere north of that. I think just about everyone here is under that and should give thanks to all the moronic analysts for the opportunity

One last thing, for whatever reason I find the language particularly cork suckers a little below the thread. We have all kinds of people here and should be respectful of all.

Well that is that, obviously a pent up blogger.

TRADE WELL MY FREINDS

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 09:58 PM
    Oh one last thing, my average price is $11:30 so maybe that is why I worry so little.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 09:59 PM
    I don't think anyone was ever supposed to interpret the "breakeven" comment as being precise guidance. I even think they were careful to basically say (again) that they were NOT giving guidance.

Nobody should treat that comment as a prediction of "approximately $0.00 EPS".

All I think it was ever supposed to mean was "we don't expect to post a loss". Nothing more, nothing less. If they were to hit $0.68, or any number without parentheses around it, I would consider it to help Heins' credibility, not hurt it.

Breakeven means breakeven. 50 or 65 cents is not breakeven. Accuracy counts on Wall St. and words have meaning. If they meant to say we were going to lose money then that is what they should have said. Being off by 50 cents means they were off by about $260M. Major corps are able to guide within a penny or two. Rightly or wrongly, once the shine wears off (about 5 minutes of trading) the street will not like it. You already have Gus saying he didn't believe it. Remember, not too long ago RIMM pre-announced and then even missed that number. I think that contributed to the sell off down to single digits. Conference call or earnings guidance is very important to the street, burning them, even to the positive side will have consequences.. It looks like at least this time it will be a positive surprise :-)
    06-25-13 10:01 PM
    Breakeven means breakeven. 50 or 65 cents is not breakeven. Accuracy counts on Wall St. and words have meaning. If they meant to say we were going to lose money then that is what they should have said. Being off by 50 cents means they were off by about $260M. Major corps are able to guide within a penny or two. Rightly or wrongly, once the shine wears off (about 5 minutes of trading) the street will not like it. You already have Gus saying he didn't believe it. Remember, not too long ago RIMM pre-announced and then even missed that number. I think that contributed to the sell off down to single digits. Conference call or earnings guidance is very important to the street, burning them, even to the positive side will have consequences.. It looks like at least this time it will be a positive surprise :-)
    To be fair though, BB's best guess could be less than actual uptake in the market resulting in better than expected earnings. AAPL beat every ER for a decade and didn't seem to upset too many traders.
    06-25-13 10:07 PM
    You've got this right! Burning them to the positive side should have positive consequences.
    06-25-13 10:09 PM
    I have been reading everything here for over a year I know your whole story. I have never followed a blog like this before it is a little strange getting to know so many but not participating much. Feels like voyeurism a bit, or watching a sop opera. What's Morgan going to say to day, CJ, and you.

So after my late night ramble I have heard you say a lot that you pulled from trigger too early, and it looks like ya did.

This is my first venture into a stock to this level but I got some great advice at the start. Don't buy it all in one chunk, but over a period. I first purchased at $19 and chaced it all the way down to $7, then a little on the way up. Worked great.

So on the way up, same thing. There will be a time when it will feel like the stock value matches the company value. Likely somewhere between $28 & $40. When I feel that point I will sell around 20%. Then liquidated around another %30 over a period. The rest will stay put for returns on future potential if I still see that happening and I bet I do.

Now something about me. I am so all in its not funny. I just couldn't see how they could fail. I have used a good chunk of retirement money on BB stocks and the last of our equity on our house. Crazy right?

Funny thing, I have rarefied worried about something so little, it feels almost like a gift.

On the topic of the shorts, without those "bb dead on arrival" statements and the stupid James Faucet's of the world this opportunity for me would have never existed.

Remember this companies book value is around $19 and we all know the potential is somewhere north of that. I think just about everyone here is under that and should give thanks to all the moronic analysts for the opportunity

One last thing, for whatever reason I find the language particularly cork suckers a little below the thread. We have all kinds of people here and should be respectful of all.

Well that is that, obviously a pent up blogger.

TRADE WELL MY FREINDS

Posted via CB10
    Kind of scary when you say you know my whole story. Lol. I agree with spreading out the purchasing and selling and really learned when I jumped the gun on TSLA, but as you know my funds are limited so I purchase small blocks of 20 at a time. At first I was buying and selling on peaks and dips and got pretty good at it before I just started buying the blocks of 20. Glad you posted and it's cool to see you jump in on both this thread and BBRY. Where did you retire from?
    06-25-13 10:11 PM
    I tried to purchase a Q10 today at Costco, they are only available to order from the warehouse and are sent to your house. The warehouse is out and they said it will be at least a few weeks before they get more in.
    What city??
    06-25-13 10:17 PM
    However, we just flat out do not believe that guidance. We expect both gross margins and ASPs to be significantly higher on the back of the BB 10 launches and as a result drive decent profitability for the company

I think is isn't that great . The beat is great, but BBRY already has a credibility gap on Wall Street. If the CEO grossly underestimated the quarter, even if it is an underestimate and upside surprise this time, the street isn't going to believe him going forward. That is not good and can hurt in the long run. .
    It shows that the NEW blackberry is under guiding and over delivering -- he's pulling the trick from Apple's book. So if they beat by .50+ EPS Q1, and guide for .50 - $1 for Q2, the street IS going to take him seriously and assume he is under forecasting again.
    06-25-13 10:21 PM
    I don't understand your point? A Lot of companies beat expectations by a wide margin and the market rewards the company . How can a company get punished for doing better then they and everyone else excepted? I have yet to hear in the new " today company X beat the street and it's own guidance by a wide margin. The stock is Down 20% since it did better then expected. " You sound like a scared short spinning a positive into a negative but I don't think you are short.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 10:22 PM
    I don't think anyone was ever supposed to interpret the "breakeven" comment as being precise guidance. I even think they were careful to basically say (again) that they were NOT giving guidance.

Nobody should treat that comment as a prediction of "approximately $0.00 EPS".

All I think it was ever supposed to mean was "we don't expect to post a loss". Nothing more, nothing less. If they were to hit $0.68, or any number without parentheses around it, I would consider it to help Heins' credibility, not hurt it.
    I agree that was not 'formal' guidance.

Which is why I worry they won't guide for Q2. We need good Q2 guidance to put the shorts to bed.
    ItsTheBox and peter9477 like this.
    06-25-13 10:23 PM
    I didn't believe it either and I think most people here would be disappointed with break even. Maybe it's a set up for a bear trap.
    fedakd, Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    06-25-13 10:26 PM
    I agree that was not 'formal' guidance.

Which is why I worry they won't guide for Q2. We need good Q2 guidance to put the shorts to bed.
    True but official policy has been "no guidance" ...the problem is too many perceive guidance as spin, in fact the US has placed penalties on it...hence the policy. Now the sharts are using that as an excuse, but they ignore that allot of companies do not provide it any longer...can't win lol.
    bungaboy and peter9477 like this.
    06-25-13 10:29 PM
    Via bing translate - indonesian q10 sales not great so far

In the operators were optimistic W Q10 can also be as successful Z10. Four operators were open pre order online. Unfortunately booking early BlackBerry devices Q10 is not comparable to the prepared stock operator.

At least Telkomsel and Indosat confess if stock inventory W Q10 does ludes early pre-order. Telkomsel prepare 5,000 units initial reservations but only managed to sell 1,500 units. While Indosat only managed to sell 2,000 units of stock of 15,000 units. However for the Axis that it does not apply.
    06-25-13 10:44 PM
    Via bing translate - indonesian q10 sales not great so far

In the operators were optimistic W Q10 can also be as successful Z10. Four operators were open pre order online. Unfortunately booking early BlackBerry devices Q10 is not comparable to the prepared stock operator.

At least Telkomsel and Indosat confess if stock inventory W Q10 does ludes early pre-order. Telkomsel prepare 5,000 units initial reservations but only managed to sell 1,500 units. While Indosat only managed to sell 2,000 units of stock of 15,000 units. However for the Axis that it does not apply.
    Not too surprised, the Z10 was already a high cost for them and q10 is even a higher cost. I'll be more worried if the Q5 doesn't sell well whenever it comes out. I also expect a Z5 type device to come out shortly thereafter.
    Randeman likes this.
    06-25-13 11:02 PM
    However, we just flat out do not believe that guidance. We expect both gross margins and ASPs to be significantly higher on the back of the BB 10 launches and as a result drive decent profitability for the company

I think is isn't that great . The beat is great, but BBRY already has a credibility gap on Wall Street. If the CEO grossly underestimated the quarter, even if it is an underestimate and upside surprise this time, the street isn't going to believe him going forward. That is not good and can hurt in the long run. .
    Nah, apple did that for years, under promise over perform. That is a lot better than the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    bigbbrybeliever and bungaboy like this.
    06-25-13 11:14 PM
    I'm still a noob but I'll give you my basic understanding..... When they flood the market with shares for sale, the ones they've borrowed to short, there are more shares for sale than there are people looking to buy. This will drop the price based on the theory of supply and demand. Same as the end of day sell off of day traders.... they are looking to get out of their position so there is then an over supply of shares which drops the price. What stops, or slows down the decline, like as of late, is the buy side scooping up the shares at the asking price and halting any price drop. About a month ago, there was a big player who had a buy order for close to a million shares sitting just a few cents below the sp at that time. What that did was halt the price from dropping any further so even if the shorts had tried to dump a half million shares, they would have been scoped right up... had that buy order not been there, and the dumped a massive block of shares, the price would have plummeted as buyers would be placing their buy orders lower in order to get a better price.
    Thanks, you have leaned much.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 11:20 PM
    Kind of scary when you say you know my whole story. Lol. I agree with spreading out the purchasing and selling and really learned when I jumped the gun on TSLA, but as you know my funds are limited so I purchase small blocks of 20 at a time. At first I was buying and selling on peaks and dips and got pretty good at it before I just started buying the blocks of 20. Glad you posted and it's cool to see you jump in on both this thread and BBRY. Where did you retire from?
    Ummm........retire? Do I sound old? Lol

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 11:26 PM
    I'm still getting used to trading BBRY and other stocks in the US, but I'm glad this post is going because I'm learning a lot and the advice is always taken. Thanx. And anymore advice is welcome. 333C3A3B BBM pin.

Typed via BB Z10. Find me on Twitter @ahsonn_carter
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-25-13 11:31 PM
    Mobile malware explodes, hits corporate networks

'The report showed a 614 per cent jump in mobile malware in the 12 months to March 2013, with Android attacks accounting for 92 per cent.'
    fedakd, jrwb6e, neteng1000 and 3 others like this.
    06-25-13 11:41 PM
    Don't know what happened, but disregard this.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 06-26-13 at 09:37 PM.
    06-25-13 11:47 PM
113,256 ... 13791380138113821383 ...