View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    sorry off topic. ATT just forked me over. Here's the update, oh now it isn't...wtf! z10
    Yeah, I really feel sorry for you guys down there. I thought the Canadian carriers were the worst, but now I'm not sure after seeing everything the BlackBerry fans have gone through in the states.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-21-13 06:54 PM
    sorry off topic. ATT just forked me over. Here's the update, oh now it isn't...wtf! z10
    Well, while you are bent over . . . . .

AT&T and Verizon are about to put the squeeze on subscribers

By Tero Kuittinen on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM

AT&T Verizon Fees

Business June 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Noted mobile analyst Chetan Sharma has released his latest U.S. Wireless Market Update. It�s a grim road map to rising smartphone ownership costs for most Americans. AT&T and Verizon Wireless now hold 65% of the U.S. mobile subscribers. Since 2009, Verizon has added about 15 million new contract subscribers, while AT&T gained about 8 million. Sprint and T-Mobile have lost roughly 5 million contract subscribers each over the same period. This is why you will wake up one beautiful morning next autumn and discover yet another new surcharge or rate hike by the Big Two � their power continues to wax.

One trend illustrated by Sharma is strikingly ominous: the revenue American operators derive from new subscribers has dropped to just 2% of their overall sales. In the year 2000, it was still over 20%. This means that there is no sales growth to be had from chasing new customers; all the upside is now in squeezing more money from existing subscribers. The new family plans pushed so hard by leading carriers effectively lock in entire households for good. Once you have two to four people on one family plan, switching carriers becomes prohibitively cumbersome.

Smartphones now represent 85% of all handset sales in the U.S., soaring far above the global average of 50%.

So AT&T and Verizon have increased their market share decisively since 2009; they no longer get meaningful revenue from new subscribers, so they don�t need to offer attractive new price plans; they no longer can increase sales by pulling feature phone buyers into smartphones; and they are successfully locking people into near-permanent family plans.

The only road to revenue growth is now increasing the monthly bills of existing smartphone subscribers. That�s you and me.
    Shanerredflag and rarsen like this.
    06-21-13 06:58 PM
    I agree, I'm resigning myself to the Sept/December ERs. While I'm still a super bull on the company, it's somewhat of a heartbreak having expected at first that the launch on Jan 21st was going to kick to high gear, then to the earnings, then to the BB Live, now this earnings is shaping up for a doozy of a reaction... sigh, my pending status as a millionaire can only wait so long
    Same here. So many more positives since last 6 months but stock price hasn't moved. Of course 34mil more shorted. I don't have too much faith in the er causing any upward movement... As the sharts always have something to bring it down. I think the thing that will kick start things will either be a deal with lenovo or a major investor initiates a squeeze.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using CB Forums mobile app
    plane6065, lcjr, Kid Vibe and 2 others like this.
    06-21-13 07:11 PM
    I pay less than half the bill of AT&T by sticking with T-Mobile. I get excellent coverage in most places, except in rural areas where I sometimes experience dropped calls. Is that worth the $60 savings per month?

It shouldn't be a debate, but all of my friends with AT&T are satisfied customers (I would gouge my eyes out if I was paying $110 per month.).
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-21-13 07:53 PM
    That's exactly what I was getting at earlier. How in the world can this play out?? Is there such a possibility of the SP being so shorted that it negates itself? Meaning, is it possible to hold this down permanently or at least control the SP now?
    Do you as a long have any sort of "control" over the stock price? Does any long?

What control does even Prem Watsa have (ignoring the fact that he got himself put on the board)?

So how then can someone who borrowed shares and sold them short affect the stock price after that transaction?

Nobody has any real control aside from buying more, or selling more, stock. (I'm defining "real" in a way that excludes the pseudo-control analysts appear to have over this stock, because that's ephemeral. Its effect is gone instantly when real news comes out, or even just when other analysts say their piece.)

The shorts have basically had their say, and if the supply of stock to be borrowed has mostly dried up, then I think they now have no means to drive the stock down much further, or to keep it down, if it would otherwise tend to go up. About all they can do now is choose how long to delay until they cover.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    06-21-13 08:03 PM
    06-21-13 09:15 PM
    Hey, yoy've not put you pants down for it (hopefully ) so, stick to the plan and relax. Our time will come, that's what I can write, while I can't prove it.
    But if you're still on the day 1 mood, just look back. So far "we"'ve done it.
    There's something irrational here, both for the upside and the down side... but the glass is half full, that's what I believe. guts believe. I might be ,no, it IS 100% subjective, but sometimes...
    Let's stay calm but rock roll this !

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I'm with you on this, I'm just trying to learn something here. If the stock (any stock) is so heavily shorted and the shorts are the institutional share holders themselves, how does this play out? In this scenario I'm not understanding how the SP could go up and if it doesn't, what's the purpose of them investing? Doesn't have to be BBRY, pick any stock that's shorted.
    06-21-13 09:24 PM
    Yet another learning curve for me since I've recently moved back to the USA. Why are the carriers pushing out updates instead of BlackBerry? I can understand if there are a few items within the update expressly for and from the carrier, but shouldn't BlackBerry be pushing out the major software updates????
    bungaboy and CDM76 like this.
    06-21-13 09:28 PM
    Do you as a long have any sort of "control" over the stock price? Does any long?

What control does even Prem Watsa have (ignoring the fact that he got himself put on the board)?

So how then can someone who borrowed shares and sold them short affect the stock price after that transaction?

Nobody has any real control aside from buying more, or selling more, stock. (I'm defining "real" in a way that excludes the pseudo-control analysts appear to have over this stock, because that's ephemeral. Its effect is gone instantly when real news comes out, or even just when other analysts say their piece.)

The shorts have basically had their say, and if the supply of stock to be borrowed has mostly dried up, then I think they now have no means to drive the stock down much further, or to keep it down, if it would otherwise tend to go up. About all they can do now is choose how long to delay until they cover.
    I understand all that, but is it different when the shorts are the institutional share holders?? I understand the shorting of shares now and how that works, but for learning purposes only for me, how or does it differentiate if the shorts are the institutional shareholders? Who would they sell the shares to, each other??
    06-21-13 09:35 PM
    As with most, I am curious as to what will cause BB to hit a new 52 week high... We have gone through a lot of positives the last 5 months and the SP is still in its range I bought back in Feb! My position still stands and I am holding on for a year if things go well... Thanks to my time away from home, I have barely kept up with the stock, thanks to those here that have posted info!

Anywhoo, just extended my trip in Tokyo for a 10 more days... Woo! Now I don't have to get up super early for the next ER!
    06-21-13 09:38 PM
    [QUOTE=Kid Vibe;8691304]As with most, I am curious as to what will cause BB to hit a new 52 week high... We have gone through a lot of positives the last 5 months and the SP is still in its range I bought back in Feb! My position still stands and I am holding on for a year if things go well... Thanks to my time away from home, I have barely kept up with the stock, thanks to those here that have posted info!

Anywhoo, just extended my trip in Tokyo for a 10 more days... Woo! Now I don't have to get up super early for the next ER![/QUOTE

your question is the topic of discussion of late. Glad to hear from you and hope you're having a blast over there!
    bungaboy, plane6065 and Kid Vibe like this.
    06-21-13 09:49 PM
    Short answer (sorry, couldn't resist)...yes, kind of. M8 talks about this from time to time...one sell side house loans their shares to another (shorts)...but it just a loan to move the share price down...no actual money is required and it's even legal (kind of)...they crash the price for free then ride it up or collect the vig on the play.

Stupid set up and I likely did a rotten job explaining so I apologize.

In a nut shell. Interest is paid so they collect money...large institutions will package and sell as dirivitives too so they make again if it moves outside the contract price., and finally even institutions get tired and eventually cover (if short) or sell to exit their position.

Hope that helped.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, cjcampbell and rarsen like this.
    06-21-13 09:55 PM
    Off topic but I downloaded BlackBerry Travel as I have read some use it...booked a flight for a couple weeks from now and boom...BlackBerry Travel knows my itinerary....cool stuff.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 09:58 PM
    Short answer (sorry, couldn't resist)...yes, kind of. M8 talks about this from time to time...one sell side house loans their shares to another (shorts)...but it just a loan to move the share price down...no actual money is required and it's even legal (kind of)...they crash the price for free then ride it up or collect the vig on the play.

Stupid set up and I likely did a rotten job explaining so I apologize.

In a nut shell. Interest is paid so they collect money...large institutions will package and sell as dirivitives too so they make again if it moves outside the contract price., and finally even institutions get tired and eventually cover (if short) or sell to exit their position.

Hope that helped.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, so to make it worth their while and make more money they they sell in blocks at a time as the price rises??
    06-21-13 10:07 PM
    Thanks, so to make it worth their while and make more money they they sell in blocks at a time as the price rises??
    Likely not if its rising but they would be selling puts like crazy and hoping the price rises.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr likes this.
    06-21-13 10:17 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000254.png
    How cool is this...look at all the features....we have nothing to worry about...keep moving.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 10:19 PM
    I used BlackBerry travel when I made my Germany trip reservations. I've had that app on my 9930 since last July when I got my phone. Are there new aspects to the old app?
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    06-21-13 10:32 PM
    06-21-13 11:34 PM
    The "sharts" suffer from "confirmation bias". They will only see the negative and use this data or lack of it to justify their position. This data will mean nothing with real earnings and fcf that will be revealed during the ER. I think we may get a quick jump into the 20's with a steady climb going into October. :swami hat on and rub crystal ball: