View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BB.TO isn't down because technology is down, its down on resources and they might not come back anytime soon. So your gain in BB.TO is real. The CDN Dollar has dropped from $ 1.02/US to $ .96/US, ...... that's a heck of a gain on your part!

Anyway, the combination of the CDN dollar drop and some life changing news for BB.TO next week could pay off handsomely for you.
    Its funny, I have BB, but I watch BBRY (because I can get live updates). Today was an interesting day because the markets where tanking and we (BB) spent a good amount if time in or around green.
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    06-20-13 03:14 PM
    BB.TO isn't down because technology is down, its down on resources and they might not come back anytime soon. So your gain in BB.TO is real. The CDN Dollar has dropped from $ 1.02/US to $ .96/US, ...... that's a heck of a gain on your part!

Anyway, the combination of the CDN dollar drop and some life changing news for BB.TO next week could pay off handsomely for you.
    When they do the earnings report - do they use the exchange rate at end of quarter (may 31) or as of the ER? (june 28) for the revenues?
    06-20-13 03:20 PM
    When they do the earnings report - do they use the exchange rate at end of quarter (may 31) or as of the ER? (june 28) for the revenues?
    BBRY reports in US dollars.
    06-20-13 03:27 PM
    Just popped in to say what a fantastic rearguard action that was from BlackBerry!! Got to go now. See you later folks!
    lcjr, morganplus8 and cjcampbell like this.
    06-20-13 03:28 PM
    here's a good read, although it's from the Fools.

Watch For These Analyst Tactics After June 28th - BBRY, GOOG, SSNLF - Foolish Blogging Network

In about a week, BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) will report Q1 2014 earnings and give a slightly better picture for how the latest BB10 smartphones are selling. Until now, analysts have been fighting it out over whether this will be the short squeeze trigger or a final nail in BlackBerry’s coffin. A lot of these analysts are deep in their convictions and will interpret the earnings in their own way, spinning the results as they believe suits their position best. While some analysts will be able to provide objective coverage of the event, others may employ the tactics described below.

The unfair comparison

Sales estimates of the Z10 and Q10 have varied widely, but among the most bullish are the estimates from Societe Generale, which call for sales of around five million units in total. Based on current sales estimates from other analysts, sales of five million would solidly beat the Street’s expectations for BlackBerry, but some analysts may try to spin results another way.

A comparison may be drawn between the BB10 phones and the Samsung (NASDAQOTH: SSNLF) Galaxy S4 phone, the latest smartphone in the Samsung lineup powered by Google’s (NASDAQ: GOOG) Android operating system. With Reuters reporting analyst expectations of 7 million S4 sales per month, the S4 would be blowing BlackBerry out of the water.

But everyone expects Samsung to outsell BlackBerry and the targets BlackBerry needs to meet to grow earnings and gain market share are much smaller than those of Samsung. When Apple’s iOS operating system and Google’s Android operating system are combined, a near duopoly in the smartphone market emerges. Apple and Samsung/Google are the top two smartphone makers by volume and are expected to maintain these spots for the indefinite future. And even with sales of 7 million S4s, these numbers are below initial targets for the phone's sales. BlackBerry is fighting for a number three spot and, consequently, its sales should be judged on BlackBerry estimates, not comparisons to Apple and Samsung.

A look at past RIM glory

Back in the golden days of Research in Motion, now BlackBerry, the company defined the smartphone for high powered executives, politicians, and those who needed to stay connected. Among many people, a smartphone was a BlackBerry as a tissue was a Kleenex. But, as happens with technology, a new competitor changed the image of the smartphone. That competitor was Apple, and BlackBerry has never occupied the lead position again.

Bringing up this story of the fall of RIM gives a bearish undertone to anything BlackBerry, painting the company as one on its last legs and ready to go the way of BetaMax. But the RIM of the past is not the company stockholders are betting on now. Current investors are betting on a recovery with a new series of BB10 phones, and the expectations for sales have been laid out fairly clearly by a whole host of analysts over the past several months. The bottom line is that comparing the market share of the current BlackBerry to the old RIM misses the point that the BlackBerry investors are betting on now is a recovery play and is priced as such with market expectations far short of those for RIM at its peak.

Waiting for more data

This idea does actually have grounding and it will probably be used by both bullish and bearish analysts following the Q1 earnings. It simply calls for waiting for the Q2 2014 earnings, which will provide a more complete picture of sales of the Q10 smartphone and some sales of the lower priced Q5 smartphone. Nonetheless, sales numbers that beat or miss expectations will probably swing the stock come June 28, but investors should keep in mind that there still is more data to be revealed.

Post earnings

BlackBerry is the type of company that brings out the most extreme of opinions on both sides of the debate. With so much already invested in the game and so much more data to be revealed in future quarters, neither side is likely to give up after the Q1 2014 report. Tactics like those above may be used but other analysts will surely have their own ideas to be put into the game. BlackBerry investors will need to take a look across many opinions and read the reports for themselves because, with so much analyst buzz in the market, BlackBerry shares could be very active post earnings.

Apple has a history of cranking out revolutionary products... and then creatively destroying them with something better. Read about the future of Apple in the free report, “Apple Will Destroy Its Greatest Product.” Can Apple really disrupt its own iPhones and iPads? Find out by clicking here.

Alexander MacLennan owns shares of BlackBerry. The Motley Fool recommends Google. The Motley Fool owns shares of Google. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. Is this post wrong? Click here. Think you can do better? Join us and write your own!
    06-20-13 04:16 PM
    Interesting read.....

Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY): Watch For These Analyst Tactics After June 28th

http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/re...e-28th-177230/
    06-20-13 04:18 PM
    Beat me!
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    06-20-13 04:23 PM
    Umm this article takes the cake for factual errors its almost too bad to be believed. From the fools of course.

http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/re...ck-eye-177275/
    06-20-13 04:23 PM
    if the markets continue the same pattern tomorrow then next week will be a real Bloodbath and even if our ER beats street estimates by a ton we will still be recovering recent market losses instead of being where we belong ( in the mid 20's with the proper year end guidance imo ).

So basically lets all cross our fingers for tomorrow and take it from there... todays moves were almost Crash level which makes me think that even if the markets open up green tomorrow they will turn red during the day... hope i am wrong.

Having said all of the above. i need to repeat that my positions are long term and thats how all of us here believers should be , Short term it may be shaky ( due to market nervousness ) but long term i believe we are on a very safe boat.
    06-20-13 04:47 PM
    BBM Tops UK's Favorite Messaging Platform

Acision, one of the worlds biggest independent research firms focusing on mobile messaging trends just released their most recent findings in their annual study. This year they found that US and UK mobile messaging trends are beginning to align more closely. The study finds that both US and UK users are now using multiple messaging platforms to communicate every day, impacting daily messaging traffic.

Although the study contains some very interesting tidbits about MMS and SMS messaging, the research hilights a few key takeaways. Although SMS is still one of the biggest methods of communication, used by 96% and 92% of respondents in the UK and UK respectively, half of US participants expressed that they prefer Over The Top messaging services (read: iMessage, BBM, GTalk, WhatsApp, etc.) because of their added features such as the ability to see whether a message was delivered, speed and reliability.

Based on that criteria alone, guess which was the number one messaging platform in the UK?
    From the Acision report:

When analysing the most popular messaging applications by numbers of messages sent, across all age groups BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) comes out on top in the UK, with an average of 110 messages sent every week. This is followed by SMS (75 messages per week - MPW), WhatsApp (74 MPW) with both iMessage and Facebook Messenger following at (64 MPW). SMS rules in the US, with an average of 111 messages sent every week, with those aged 12 to 18 sending 150 SMS messages per week – 35% more than the average user. The continued high SMS usage, again maybe influenced by unlimited SMS packages.
    With the launch of BBM on multiple platforms later this summer, this is nothing short of amazing news. There are thousands of users out there who are already familiar with BBM and who will undoubtedly want to install BBM on their current platform of choice. BBM delivers on speed, reliability and most importantly immediacy informing the user of delivered and read statuses.

In the US however, the adoption rate might be a little bit more shaky due to the prevalence of unlimited SMS packages, however, the added bonus of a secure infrastructure might be enough to woo consumers to make a shift to the upcoming cross-platform BBM.

BlackBerryOS.com - BBM Tops UK's Favorite Messaging Platform
    06-20-13 05:00 PM
    if the markets continue the same pattern tomorrow then next week will be a real Bloodbath and even if our ER beats street estimates by a ton we will still be recovering recent market losses instead of being where we belong ( in the mid 20's with the proper year end guidance imo ).

So basically lets all cross our fingers for tomorrow and take it from there... todays moves were almost Crash level which makes me think that even if the markets open up green tomorrow they will turn red during the day... hope i am wrong.

Having said all of the above. i need to repeat that my positions are long term and thats how all of us here believers should be , Short term it may be shaky ( due to market nervousness ) but long term i believe we are on a very safe boat.
    Of course we would all like tomorrow to be green but it will be what it will be. We still have room on the low end and can stay within the long formed pennant. As long as we stay above the uptrend line, we will be good for a strong rebound running up until the ER.
    06-20-13 05:02 PM

Mhhh I believe CAN$ V.S ? can be interesting too . Add some gas in the car

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-20-13 05:18 PM
    One more day, isn't that bad, I see green . Ok missed my buys. Bah...

Good night gang !
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000702.png

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 05:32 PM
    Re: BBM being the best messaging service. The British know best! Being one I would know lol

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 05:36 PM
    anyone have this issue? Limit Sell order rejected as sell price was too high?
    No...its time to buy *

BBM CHANNEL C000EF854 < bbry stocks*C0004ABC9<Pin friends meet
    06-20-13 06:25 PM
    One more day, isn't that bad, I see green . Ok missed my buys. Bah...

Good night gang !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000702.png 
Views:	809 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	174286

Posted via CB10
    what app are you using

06-20-13 06:26 PM
    what app are you using

It's Stocks for BB10

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-20-13 06:43 PM
    It's Stocks for BB10

Posted via CB10
    Good App too.
    cjcampbell and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-20-13 06:49 PM
    Umm this article takes the cake for factual errors its almost too bad to be believed. From the fools of course.
    I didnt even read it. Dont want to give them the page hit ! LOL
    cjcampbell and take99 like this.
    06-20-13 07:03 PM
    It's Stocks for BB10

Posted via CB10
    Same here.GREAT app !!!
    06-20-13 07:04 PM
    I didnt even read it. Dont want to give them the page hit ! LOL
    It was really quite sad reading it. Glaringly wrong information

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    06-20-13 07:07 PM
    sorry, trying out Crackberry on my 9930 and not liking it. cant figure out what buttons to push to do things. need my playbook.

Edit: Wanted to respond to a comment but can't figure out how to navigate through the user buttons like send or edit and stuff. Like it better on Playbook which I'm using now that I'm home again.
    Last edited by lcjr; 06-20-13 at 07:44 PM.
    matthewriedle likes this.
    06-20-13 07:13 PM
    Hadnt heard this reasoning before

Much of RIM’s positive and negative indicators so far this year have been directly or indirectly tied to its relationship with carriers.

The delay in launching the Q10 on AT&T is likely due to RIM’s desire for so-called “hero“ status with the carrier, whereby RIM devices are given prominent marketing resources and prominent display within the carrier’s phone lineup. The same desire for hero status likely also led to similar timing issues with the launch of the Z10 earlier this year – in a rarity, the high-end phone went on sale in Canada before it arrived in the much larger U.S. market. Indeed, the Q10 has yet to show up at Sprint, another major carrier partner.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-20-13 08:00 PM
    Hadnt heard this reasoning before

Much of RIM’s positive and negative indicators so far this year have been directly or indirectly tied to its relationship with carriers.

The delay in launching the Q10 on AT&T is likely due to RIM’s desire for so-called “hero“ status with the carrier, whereby RIM devices are given prominent marketing resources and prominent display within the carrier’s phone lineup. The same desire for hero status likely also led to similar timing issues with the launch of the Z10 earlier this year – in a rarity, the high-end phone went on sale in Canada before it arrived in the much larger U.S. market. Indeed, the Q10 has yet to show up at Sprint, another major carrier partner.
    I can buy some of that. I mean, we remember some of the carriers half-assing the displays along with less than optimal advertising. But I did see the Q10 now available on Verizon with good advertising.
    CDM76 likes this.
    06-20-13 08:08 PM
    ??????????
    06-20-13 08:44 PM
113,256 ... 13361337133813391340 ...