View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Thor would not be opening stores if Blackberry was not doing well. As you remember blackberry closed stores when they needed to tighten the belt and now things are on the up and up is starting to open back up.

RIM eyes further reductions: closes BlackBerry store Add to ...

David Friend

TORONTO — The Canadian Press (includes correction)

Published Wednesday, Aug. 01 2012, 11:05 PM EDT

Last updated Thursday, Aug. 02 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
    There are reports that Research In Motion Inc. will shutter its few company-owned North American retail stores and reveal details of 3,000 jobs to be cut under a previously announced restructuring plan by the BlackBerry maker.

A source familiar with RIM’s retail presence said Wednesday that the company’s last existing storefront in Michigan will soon shut down, as well as nine airport locations.

The exterior of one of the Research In Motion Limited buildings is shown in Waterloo, July 10, 2012.
    Tech

Video: How much are RIM's patents worth?

The Canadian flag flies in front of the Research In Motion (RIM) company logo on one of their many buildings, Friday, June 29, 2012 in Waterloo, Ont.
    Tech

Video: Fairfax hikes RIM stake

RIM

Video: Can Waterloo survive a RIM-recession?

Meanwhile, online magazine Cantech Letter says further workforce reductions will be revealed on Aug. 13. According to the report, the cuts would be part of the 5,000 layoffs the company announced earlier this year.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company declined to confirm Cantech’s report and would only confirm that recently its Boston retail store closed.

Although retail sales of RIM products are primarily through partner companies such as telephone and cable companies as well as third-party retailers, it has had a few locations under its own banner.

“We’re constantly studying the consumer market and how customers make purchases,” said an emailed statement from RIM representative Nick Manning.

“Consumers still have many options to buy BlackBerry products from over 20,000 retail locations in the U.S. and online.”

RIM has been making drastic reductions across its operations to help counter faltering sales of its smartphones, particularly in North America.

RIM has been working to turn around its operations after watching its market share erode as consumers switched to Apple’s iPhone and other smartphones running Google’s Android operating system.

The company’s future success rides on the unveiling of its BlackBerry 10 operating system, which has suffered two major delays that have pushed its debut into early 2013.

In the meantime, it has pledged to investors that it will find savings wherever it can over the next several quarters, which it expects will continue to be very challenging for its business. The company has said that costs — particularly jobs — directly linked to the development of its BlackBerry 10 operating system would not be affected.

“These difficult changes are necessary as we drive a program to reduce our operating expenditure by over $1-billion,” the company said.

In the quarter ended June 2, RIM saw revenue drop 33 per cent to $2.8-billion, down from $4.2-billion in the prior quarter.

Over the past few months, several notable executives have left the company, including co-CEO Jim Balsillie and others who were in sales and operations roles.

This week, Hampus Jakobsson, director of strategic alliances, became the latest to exit after he announced plans to take a job at a new startup company.

RIM has replaced some of the vacant positions and shifted other roles to current executives.

In separate developments late Wednesday, RIM countered reports that said the company had agreed to hand over encryption keys to the government in India that would allow access to secure e-mails and its BlackBerry messenger services.

“RIM is providing an appropriate lawful access solution that enables India’s telecom operators to be legally compliant (with BlackBerrys) to the same degree as other smartphone providers in India,” the company said in an emailed statement.

RIM said the access agreement does not extend to its enterprise communications, or business customers.

“RIM cannot access information encrypted through BlackBerry enterprise server as RIM is not ever in possession of the encryption keys,” it said.

The company “maintains a consistent global standard for lawful access requirements that does not include special deals for specific countries.”

RIM eyes further reductions: closes BlackBerry store - The Globe and Mail
    bungaboy and psy fi like this.
    06-20-13 10:00 AM
    Leaving the photos on this response because it's so awesome! So, if we're currently making predictions on the upcoming ER, what are the predictions of Blackberry opening up stores in malls in the USA?
    In the article I posted, they said that it is unlikely that they will be opening more stores in the region so it will still be quite some time before they make an attempt at opening a retail location in the US.
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    06-20-13 10:02 AM
    I see a push to green in a few minutes..... I hope

EDIT - Nevermind. Will need another attempt soon. It will happen though.
    06-20-13 10:08 AM
    It took 4 days for my local AT&T store to sell it's first five Z10 units. I can not see Blackberry EVER opening stores in the USA.

Phone sales except for Apple, are sold by the carriers and not the phone maker.

Lets try to keep this in perspective here.
    06-20-13 10:15 AM
    Dang Gregg, just asked a question...
    06-20-13 10:21 AM
    Dollar really keeping BB afloat today.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-new-1.jpg
    06-20-13 10:27 AM
    Never say never. Tech is a fickle sector. More like unlikely in the near term.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-20-13 10:28 AM
    The phrase "Lets try to keep this in perspective here" should be the motto for this entire thread

that being said...I'm still trying to decide between black or a custom paint job for the Lambo soon to be in my driveway
    06-20-13 10:28 AM
    The other stocks I'm tracking are also RED today when they are usually not. I think the market in general is down a bit right now.
    06-20-13 10:30 AM
    The phrase "Lets try to keep this in perspective here" should be the motto for this entire thread

that being said...I'm still trying to decide between black or a custom paint job for the Lambo soon to be in my driveway
    Holy cow! Here I am looking at used Jeep Wranglers so I can get to the better flyfishing spots once I move to Colorado. lol
    06-20-13 10:32 AM
    The other stocks I'm tracking are also RED today when they are usually not. I think the market in general is down a bit right now.
    What is happening with BBRY is all about that is happening to the DOW as it is 222 points into the red.

Sorry about being Debbie Downer but someone has to clear all the smoke being blown up into places unknown.

I want the real facts both good and bad.

Sorry if I offended.
    Acumenight likes this.
    06-20-13 10:35 AM

I have never regretted black while I can not say the same for one of my custom jobs.
    06-20-13 10:37 AM
    I remember reading a blurb from a developer that was estimating over 5 million bb10 sales based on bb world downloads. I can't seem to find the article anywhere now though. I saw it on stock twits.
    Would this be it?

Predicting BlackBerry�s Q1 sales

Given the popularity of the free game Pixelated I have a healthy data set in order to publish statistics on the BlackBerry ecosystem which I have been lead to believe are fairly accurate. As such I have decided to use this data in order to predict BlackBerry�s sales for Q1 2014 (which ended June 1st and will be reported in the morning on June 28th).

Working on the assumption that there is a correlation between downloads of Pixelated and sales of BlackBerry 10, my model predicts that BlackBerry sold 5.09M BB10 phones in Q1.

As a disclaimer I should point out that there is a possibility that I am spectacularly wrong. Just because I have a mathematical formula doesn�t mean that my assumption are correct. Really the only way to test and verify my model is to publicly post the result and see how it does.
    Predicting BlackBerry�s Q1 sales � Ebscer News
    06-20-13 10:40 AM
    What is happening with BBRY is all about that is happening to the DOW as it is 222 points into the red.

Sorry about being Debbie Downer but someone has to clear all the smoke being blown up into places unknown.

Sorry if I offended.
    I could see blackberry stores in places like large airports and high end malls in the not too distant future. They will need (and are) to concentrate on increasing the product portfolio for now though.
    psy fi likes this.
    06-20-13 10:42 AM

And I think it's a good idea, sometimes, to look in the mirror.
    This is what Morgan Stanley issued prior last E.R.
    They were (very) bullish then ... so what should we be now ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-20-13 at 11:05 AM.
    06-20-13 10:45 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a few here and there where sales are high volume to warrant the overheads associated with operating a brick and mortar store.

I could see blackberry stores in places like large airports and high end malls in the not too distant future. They will need (and are) to concentrate on increasing the product portfolio for now though.
    matthewriedle likes this.
    06-20-13 10:46 AM

Sorry if I offended.
    yeah we know, we have heard it before, but nevertheless we are closing in on the turning point of the day, be ready!!!
    06-20-13 10:50 AM
    Eventually maybe but they have done that and have been closing them all down, one by one, over the last couple of years. They will need a much higher market share to warrant that.
    matthewriedle likes this.
    06-20-13 10:52 AM
    In the article I posted, they said that it is unlikely that they will be opening more stores in the region so it will still be quite some time before they make an attempt at opening a retail location in the US.
    I see it as more of a branding strategy than a sales one.
    Most of the sales in the countries where the phones are not subsidised by carriers, are through smaller stores. These stores operate in a very competitive market, and offer huge discounts... selling with minimal margins. Flagship stores cannot compete very well with them, as they need to play by certain rules and guidelines (unless the product is available exclusively through the company store, in which case, you would need thousands of stores)
    psy fi and bungaboy like this.
    06-20-13 10:52 AM
    Stay away from the jeeps. My parents have had 2 grand cherokee's in the past 7 years, both had terrible transmission problems. Look for a used 3rd gen 4runner and you will not regret.

either way, keeping things in perspective is a choice every investor needs to make for his/her self. In my case, long since 7.50 and anticipating the $100 party a few years from now
    plasmid_boy and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-20-13 10:56 AM
    I see it as more of a branding strategy than a sales one.
    Most of the sales in the countries where the phones are not subsidised by carriers, are through smaller stores. These stores operate in a very competitive market, and offer huge discounts... selling with minimal margins. Flagship stores cannot compete very well with them, as they need to play by certain rules and guidelines (unless the product is available exclusively through the company store, in which case, you would need thousands of stores)
    Exactly... SONY does the same thing, I'd window shop in the SONY store at a mall, but when serious I'd rather hunt down bargains through other outlets like Futureshop...
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    06-20-13 10:59 AM
    yeah we know, we have heard it before, but nevertheless we are closing in on the turning point of the day, be ready!!!
    OK, I am ready!
    cjcampbell and silversun10 like this.
    06-20-13 10:59 AM
    6+ > 4+ ; 6+ = 4+ .
    Neither of those equations is with 'certainty' correct. Meaning neither can be proven true. The '+' is variable.
    06-20-13 11:01 AM
    wow, I wish BBRY could perform like this particular stock over the last 12 months ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg
    ooops, it IS BBRY
    06-20-13 11:01 AM
    Stay away from the jeeps. My parents have had 2 grand cherokee's in the past 7 years, both had terrible transmission problems. Look for a used 3rd gen 4runner and you will not regret.

either way, keeping things in perspective is a choice every investor needs to make for his/her self. In my case, long since 7.50 and anticipating the $100 party a few years from now
    Can't stay away. I've had Jeep Wrangler's and Cherokee's my whole life. Built them up myself so they could go anywhere. I'm from the country and regular vehicles can't get to the places we hung out at.

I'm hoping the $100 party is next summer, but latest 2015. I'm just not sure on how this will play out with all the shorted share percentages we currently have. Time will tell.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-20-13 11:03 AM
113,252 ... 13321333133413351336 ...