View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What I like about the latest rally is that it's based on earnings expectations and units sold, rather than the speculative run ups we had earlier this year on takeover rumors. Those run ups faded quickly, while this rally, I hope anyway, has some legs.
    Sound logic! Thanks.
    psy fi likes this.
    06-14-13 09:38 AM
    My average is $15.64 right now.
    My intention is to hold onto mine for about 5 years, which is a loooong time in tech years.

I'm over 30% right now, expect to be over 100% before the end of this fiscal year.

No idea where it will be in 5 years, but since BBRY's M2M business model includes more than the smartphones and tablets, they've got the potential to be the 'next big thing.'
    bungaboy, psy fi, lcjr and 2 others like this.
    06-14-13 09:40 AM
    Hi Morgan8,

Outside of resistances based on TA, do you give any weight to psychological resistances?

For instance, when we get to the 90s would you expect a particular resistance to 100? Based solely on the fact that 100 seems to carry more significance than 99?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Charles Martin1 like this.
    06-14-13 09:44 AM
    How's everyone doing, been too busy training for my new role and training my replacements to be in here. Got a couple days off due to a death in the family.

Any word on how Morgan is doing?

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 09:47 AM
    This claimed someone this morning on stocktwits:
    Any comment on stocktwits, I'd take with a grain of salt.
    06-14-13 09:47 AM
    Any comment on stocktwits, I'd take with a grain of salt.
    Stocktwits, nitwits, it's all the same thing....
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    06-14-13 09:52 AM
    How's everyone doing, been too busy training for my new role and training my replacements to be in here. Got a couple days off due to a death in the family.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear about your loss man. My prayers go out to you and your family.
    06-14-13 09:54 AM
    I've thought about it and have to admit that it's really not greed that motivates me but the thrill of success and achievement that not only brings brings satisfaction but rewards to you and your loved ones. That is not greed at all.
    Based on my experience, expression of destaste for fame and money had never came from people that have them. Having the desire for success and to make a lot of money does not necessarily imply greed or selfishness. Based on the people that I know, it could imply the opposite. But it all depends on perspective. For example, couple years ago I rented an to a single mother with 3 young kids for 30% less than the original rate (it was her lucky day because I usually don't do the renting myself). I evicted her after 4 months of not paying rent. To her, I was a greedy CEO, but she didn't know if I was greedy I would have taken her to court to get the $4K that was rightfully mine and sued her for my time (but I just wrote that off).
    06-14-13 09:54 AM
    My intention is to hold onto mine for about 5 years, which is a loooong time in tech years.

I'm over 30% right now, expect to be over 100% before the end of this fiscal year.

No idea where it will be in 5 years, but since BBRY's M2M business model includes more than the smartphones and tablets, they've got the potential to be the 'next big thing.'
    I'll hang onto this until I reach my goal, which at my current number of shares would require the SP to be $110. Like that's going to happen anytime soon. I can't add to anything until October because our furlough starts next month-September and we're taking salary cuts.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-14-13 10:00 AM
    my Neck is getting sore watching it go up and down like it is today
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    06-14-13 10:05 AM
    Thanks dude

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and take99 like this.
    06-14-13 10:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hi MoolahMitch!

I'm very sorry to hear about your recent loss. Thanks for coming back to the board. I had a setback yesterday and missed the entire rally. Today I'm up and alert but I don't have much energy to do anything. I've just watching the board and answering some of my backlog of messages! I was scheduled to have lunch with the Dean of Medicine in about one hour but I can't make that happen so my father is going on my behalf. The next few days I'm going to spend time with the family and keep things low key!

Thanks for asking, I try to follow what's going on with this thread regardless of where I am at the time. Do come back to the board and thanks for asking!
    06-14-13 10:09 AM
    I'll hang onto this until I reach my goal, which at my current number of shares would require the SP to be $110. Like that's going to happen anytime soon. I can't add to anything until October because our furlough starts next month-September and we're taking salary cuts.
    How much are you holding right now?
    06-14-13 10:09 AM
    Outside of resistances based on TA, do you give any weight to psychological resistances?

For instance, when we get to the 90s would you expect a particular resistance to 100? Based solely on the fact that 100 seems to carry more significance than 99?
    I think it's likely there is such psychological resistance. With BlackBerry, though, I think that effect is somewhat lessened. It trades on both NASDAQ and TSX, and almost inevitably when the price on the NASDAQ is near a round number, the TSX price isn't. That should serve to "smear" things out a bit around those round numbers and make it less sharp a resistance than it would be if only one exchange were involved.
    bungaboy and dusdal like this.
    06-14-13 10:10 AM
    Yeah, the sequestration is starting to kick in and it is going to sting for a lot of people. I got a notice couple weeks ago about cutting 10% off my budget. But I still gave my staff couple % raise in salary. It's going to be a tough year for us.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 10:13 AM
    Hi MoolahMitch!

I'm very sorry to hear about your recent loss. Thanks for coming back to the board. I had a setback yesterday and missed the entire rally. Today I'm up and alert but I don't have much energy to do anything. I've just watching the board and answering some of my backlog of messages! I was scheduled to have lunch with the Dean of Medicine in about one hour but I can't make that happen so my father is going on my behalf. The next few days I'm going to spend time with the family and keep things low key!

Thanks for asking, I try to follow what's going on with this thread regardless of where I am at the time. Do come back to the board and thanks for asking!
    Glad to hear you are about and thanks for the condolences. Things should calm down for me next few months but I'm enjoying this rally

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 10:14 AM
    I think it's likely there is such psychological resistance. With BlackBerry, though, I think that effect is somewhat lessened. It trades on both NASDAQ and TSX, and almost inevitably when the price on the NASDAQ is near a round number, the TSX price isn't. That should serve to "smear" things out a bit around those round numbers and make it less sharp a resistance than it would be if only one exchange were involved.
    Good point about the multiple exchanges. I would imagine the resistance would come when BBRY is at 99.9 then and BB would just be the currency adjusted equivalent.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 10:17 AM
    Hi Morgan8,

Posted via CB10
    dusdal!

Good question. When we look at BBRY, we see things in much smaller amounts, the $ 14.00/shr level got plenty of play, we would hope to see it clear $ 14.00 and not give it up again. It was never in the cards to be a point of resistance but still round numbers make us notice the action that much more. I see every dollar as a point where we will pause to reflect on its strength, not just because it represents an Option Expiry level but because we are leaving the dreaded "lower levels" behind. There isn't an option expiry that goes by where someone isn't talking about a close just below a round number. Certainly, the $ 100 number is a milestone and you can bet the media will be a over that. I see dollar increments up to $ 20.00 and than $ 25.00, $ 30.00 and so on, as pivotal numbers for us later this year! Let's get through $ 15.00/shr today! LOL
    06-14-13 10:19 AM
    How much are you holding right now?
    Hey Dan Lam, I'm only holding 362 shares right now but plan to keep adding over time (after September now). As others on this board, this is my first time investing in stocks and I'm learning a lot. I had shares with Tesla but cashed out on their squeeze but haven't re-invested yet. I'm looking at other possibilities besides Blackberry. You are definately in the right place if you're looking to learn something about investing. There are some very experienced people on this thread and they don't mind answering questions. That's why this thread is so great.
    bungaboy and fedakd like this.
    06-14-13 10:21 AM
    dusdal!

Good question. When we look at BBRY, we see things in much smaller amounts, the $ 14.00/shr level got plenty of play, we would hope to see it clear $ 14.00 and not give it up again. It was never in the cards to be a point of resistance but still round numbers make us notice the action that much more. I see every dollar as a point where we will pause to reflect on its strength, not just because it represents an Option Expiry level but because we are leaving the dreaded "lower levels" behind. There isn't an option expiry that goes by where someone isn't talking about a close just below a round number. Certainly, the $ 100 number is a milestone and you can bet the media will be a over that. I see dollar increments up to $ 20.00 and than $ 25.00, $ 30.00 and so on, as pivotal numbers for us later this year! Let's get through $ 15.00/shr today! LOL
    Haha pardon the wishful example values.

Thanks for the quick response.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    06-14-13 10:25 AM
    Yeah, the sequestration is starting to kick in and it is going to sting for a lot of people. I got a notice couple weeks ago about cutting 10% off my budget. But I still gave my staff couple % raise in salary. It's going to be a tough year for us.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, each agency and/or branch had to come up with their own plan and submit for approval. Ours is now 11 days from July-September. Basically, one day per week for 11 weeks which is approximately a 20% salary cut. Pisses me off that employees have to suffer because senior leaders can't stay within budget guidance.
    06-14-13 10:27 AM
    Good read. Generic so no one brand metioned over another. Workflow on the go: how to bring your office to your mobile

Workflow on the go: how to bring your office to your mobile | memeburn
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and psy fi like this.
    06-14-13 10:38 AM
    Hopefully, the candle of today has longer body, because if it is too thin, then it might indicate a reversal again.

Here is the same chart zoomed out with more date range:

I expect the stoch. RSI to reach the same peak as the other cycles did, before a retrace. If it did retrace, then $15.55 seems to be the peak number for this cycle. Or perhaps, it would break out of $15.55, which means that it would break out of the main pennant that we have followed for months.
    06-14-13 10:40 AM
    I am so sorry for your lost!

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 10:40 AM
    I don't know if this has been posted, but came across this 2012 shareholder's letter where Prem Watsa explains his reasoning for BBRY.

"Markets fluctuate – and very often in extreme directions. Remember the tech boom, when companies with no sales were valued at tens of billions of dollars? In 2000, Northern Telecom accounted for 36.5% of the Toronto Stock Exchange index and was worth almost Cdn$400 billion; by 2009, it was bankrupt! Well, last year the opposite happened to Research in Motion (now known as BlackBerry). At its low of approximately $6 1/2 per share, it sold at
    1/3 of book value per share and a little above cash per share (it has no debt). The stock price had declined 95% from its high! The company produces the BlackBerry which for years was synonymous with the smart phone.The BlackBerry brand name is perhaps one of the more recognizable brand names in the world and the company has 79 million subscribers worldwide. Revenues went from essentially zero to $20 billion in about 15 years – and then it hit an air pocket! The company got complacent, perhaps overconfident, and did not respond quickly enough to Apple and Android. Mike Lazaridis, the founder and a technological genius – and a good friend – asked me to join the Board, which I did after meeting Thorsten Heins, whom Mike recommended as the next CEO of the firm. Thorsten’s 27 years of experience in all types of leadership jobs in small and large divisions at Siemens, combined with his five years at BlackBerry, were exactly what was needed. Thorsten hired a very capable management team and then focused on producing a high quality BB10 – the next generation of BlackBerries. The brand name, a security system second to none, a distribution network across 650 telecom carriers worldwide, a 79 million subscriber base, enterprise customers accounting for 90% of the Fortune 500, almost exclusive usage by governments in Canada, the U.S. and the U.K., a huge original patent portfolio, an outstanding new operating system developed by QNX and $2.9 billion in cash with no debt, are all formidable strengths as BlackBerry makes its comeback! The stock price recently moved as high as $18 per share, a far cry from the $140 per share it sold ata few years ago. And please note, 1.8 billion cell phones are sold worldwide annually, and of the 6 billion cellphones in the world, only 1 billion are smart phones. Lots of opportunity for Canada’s greatest technology company! What is striking, even for a person like me who has seen many bull and bear markets, is that at $6 1/2 per share, all the Wall Street and Bay Street analysts were uniformly negative – just as they were uniformly positive only a few years ago at prices north of $100 per share. John Templeton’s advice to us: “Buy at the point of maximum pessimism”, still rings in our ears!! We own approximately 10% of the company at an average cost of $17 per share and we are excited about its prospects under Thorsten’s leadership and Mike’s technical genius."
    06-14-13 10:42 AM
113,250 ... 12851286128712881289 ...