View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Could the 8.4% stake be an Icahn stealth mode attack? Set up another investment company, have the Spanish bank do the buying for him.

Buying started April 1.

Q1 13F for purchases made before March 31 was due in May. Q2 13F not due until August. Not that I know anything about these filings...but it's double sneaky to start accuring starting April 1...and accruing that much.

From the comments I've read in SA, this new buyer based in Spain is run be ex- Morgan Stanley guy/s.

Well a few days ago, Samsung got a cumulative 10% haircut in SP, due to the revised sales forecast of the S4. It was trimmed down to 61 million from 71 million units. The downgrade came from Morgan Stanley.

Draw your own conclusions here but the the slowdown in sales of S4 and Iphones bodes well for competing devices knowing the smartphone market continues to expand. I was hoping some analyst will state that the cause of slowdown was due to competition but none of them did so. I felt that this could be the silver lining for BB and others like HTC and Windows who are all trying to claw its way to increase market share. We will see.

Here's to BB coming out with a stellar report...
    Last edited by La Emperor; 06-12-13 at 05:26 PM.
    06-12-13 04:23 PM
    At this point heading into the ER, it's really playing the waiting game. We can all guess and theorize but this thing can go in so many directions. Let's hope we all get rewarded in the end. Posted via CB10
    Up, down, or stay the same.
    06-12-13 04:23 PM
    That 44 million purchase is likely to have grown to that of Prem Watsa's holding at 9.9%. There is little reason why they wouldn't buy the maximum number of shares without having to declare their intentions. Maybe something interesting is happening here. The bigger question is how did they find 44 million shares and what would the stock price be if they didn't take that stock out of the market? The shorts would love to see those shares in the free float. Very interesting indeed!
    They picked up 10% and stock has been drifting - of course we don't know when they picked them up $16.50 or $13.50.

Yes it's great news - but I'm thinking it doesn't matter much until the ER, and if the ER is good, then we can see a spike?

Without this news I was almost set on dumping half my position until the DOD MDM news is released. I think it will hurt the SP.

I think maybe non confidential devices will be iOS/Android and be on Fixmo, and confidential devices (BB10) will be on BES. Still the shorts will run with this as a knock against BBRY.
    06-12-13 04:27 PM
    I haven't felt this good about BBRY in weeks, am I missing something that this is anything but great news?
    You know, I feel the same way, I don't even watch it any more. I'm waiting for lcjr to tell us to stop worrying about the DoD. They are going to release some big news soon, but BES10 is right up there with the rest of them. I even think that many of the old BlackBerry phone holders, 471,000 of them, are looking at the new BB10 line and liking what they see. Now if we could get 30 - 50% of the Androids and iPhones too, that would be nice! LOL

The stock is resting for some big news/movement, we have a new investor who owns a ton of the stock, the Canadian government loaned Spain $ 268 million to buy phones and it makes sense that an investor in Spain would like the investment knowing that. Apple has a $ 60billion dollar, share buy back program, and the stock is sinking. Their next i OS upgrade won't happen until BlackBerry shows them some more stuff in BB 10.2, so that's cool too. The stars are aligning here, we are about to lift off!
    Bilaal, take99, lcjr and 19 others like this.
    06-12-13 04:31 PM
    Okay, so it's obvious now that 44 million more shares have been scooped by an institution. Are these shares now unavailable to shorts? Does this shrink the number of free shares available and thus increase the likelihood of a short squeeze?
    morganplus8 and Acumenight like this.
    06-12-13 04:35 PM
    I think maybe non confidential devices will be iOS/Android and be on Fixmo, and confidential devices (BB10) will be on BES. Still the shorts will run with this as a knock against BBRY.
    I would consider it a victory if BES was a part of any of the DoD's plans.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-12-13 04:35 PM
    Okay, so it's obvious now that 44 million more shares have been scooped by an institution. Are these shares now unavailable to shorts? Does this shrink the number of free shares available and thus increase the likelihood of a short squeeze?
    I don't know the answer to that but logically, if I was buying at the volume and time they were, and knowing that the short interest was already super high, I would ensure that my shares became unavailable to short. I don't know if it makes a squeeze any more likely but to me it would make a squeeze more monumental if it does happen.
    06-12-13 04:54 PM
    I don't know the answer to that but logically, if I was buying at the volume and time they were, and knowing that the short interest was already super high, I would ensure that my shares became unavailable to short. I don't know if it makes a squeeze any more likely but to me it would make a squeeze more monumental if it does happen.
    With that many shares they could package and sell as dirivitive plays..

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 04:58 PM
    Alt Capital is indeed run by ex MS guys. ( without resorting to translation and winging it out )

Banca Privada Independiente | atl Capital Gesti�n de Patrimonios

Even more interesting is Mr. Valencia who was a former director of BNP Paridas which is associated with JP Morgan Chase. JP Morgan and RBC was hired by Rim to review its strategic options last year. Lets see where the chips fall. I'm liking this new investor already.
    06-12-13 05:01 PM
    I would consider it a victory if BES was a part of any of the DoD's plans.
    Blackberry needs to capture the interests of the other government agencies as well as the DoD. While we wait for news on the DoD subject, BB is missing the boat on the other agencies like the USDA and the Forest Services that are modifying their MDM plans to facilitate a more robust service. It would appear that this year is the start of government agencies revamping the way they conduct business or update that service to coincide with modern technology. I'm confident both the USDA and the Fire Service would have stayed solely Blackberry if the tablet would have been more successful. These agencies and those like the Customs and Border Patrol need tablets that can run their programs in the field. So, remember it's not just about the phone device when you think about the DoD and other government agencies modifying their MDM plans. Here's just one example, but there are many more out there from each country if you want to look it up.

Inside look at USDA�s mobile program | FedScoop
    06-12-13 05:06 PM
    I believe 100% the Z10 is selling more then the Q10 in Canada... I've been look at store stock numbers and it seems like the stores in Toronto carry 2 phones unless they are in places like Eatons Centre or Yorkdale mall. It seems most stores have 1 left out of 2 and some are sold out. Where the Q10 somtimes some stores are sold out but not much. So hopefully that is a good sign and businesses are scooping up big numbers of the q10 and consumers buy the Z10.

This is just in Toronto Canada so who knows about the rest of the world. But I check a few times a week and it seems like the Z10 is doing alright still even more then the Q10
    06-12-13 05:09 PM
    Amazing what a find from our forum member here has done and all the info we're able to dig on the new institutional owners. This is why this thread is so great.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 05:16 PM
    From the comments I've read in SA, this new buyer based in Spain is run be ex- Morgan Stanley guy/s.

Well a few days ago, Samsung got a 10% haircut in SP, due to the revised sales forecast of the S4. It was trimmed down to 61 million from 71 million units. The downgrade came from Morgan Stanley.

Draw your own conclusions here but the the slowdown in sales of S4 and Iphones bodes well for competing devices knowing the smartphone market continues to expand. I was hoping some analyst will state that the cause of slowdown was due to competition but none of them did so. I felt that this could be the silver lining for BB and others like HTC and Windows who are all trying to claw its way to increase market share. We will see.

Here's to BB coming out with a stellar report...
    Do you have the link to the article?
    06-12-13 05:16 PM
    Wishful thinking here but even if this short squeeze takes us to $30 and we then trade back and forth between $28-32 onwards, I'll be happy.

S***, anything above what I stupidly bought it at ($18.14) would be nice.
    06-12-13 05:20 PM
    Tornado warning here in Edmonton...hailing like crazy....he haw.

Posted via CB10
    Hold on tight !

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    06-12-13 05:26 PM
    Do you have the link to the article?
    I forgot to mention that JP cut their estimates too.
    Samsung Electronics Co falls as analysts see weaker Galaxy S4 sales | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    bungaboy likes this.
    The put/call ratio is 1.39 today. That means more puts were sold than calls. Yesterday the ratio was 0.59.

Sounds like there's a great deal more people thinking we're going to tank.
    The put/call ratio is 1.39 today. That means more puts were sold than calls. Yesterday the ratio was 0.59.

Sounds like there's a great deal more people thinking we're going to tank.
    Large number = buying opportunity...at least for contrarians.

Posted via CB10
    silversun10 and bungaboy like this.
    06-12-13 05:39 PM

Institutional shareholders usually tend to keep their positions longer. some are obliged to do so actually. So yes you can assume that 44 mil shares are off the free float.

My humble opinion and advice is not to focus and expect the Short Squeeze to necessarily happen. It may or it may not...
    Focus on the fundamentals of the company which are more than likely improving and the long term investors will be happy sooner or later.
    06-12-13 05:41 PM
    If we don't get an earnings warning then it would appear that the shorts are going to be crushed without a warning. We may need to have our sell buttons ready to be pushed though because I think there will be a very short peak period.
    difabs likes this.
    06-12-13 05:43 PM
    If we don't get an earnings warning then it would appear that the shorts are going to be crushed without a warning. We may need to have our sell buttons ready to be pushed though because I think there will be a very short peak period.
    I really doubt that we need to worry about selling at a peak.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    06-12-13 05:48 PM
    You know, I feel the same way, I don't even watch it any more. I'm waiting for lcjr to tell us to stop worrying about the DoD. They are going to release some big news soon, but BES10 is right up there with the rest of them. I even think that many of the old BlackBerry phone holders, 471,000 of them, are looking at the new BB10 line and liking what they see. Now if we could get 30 - 50% of the Androids and iPhones too, that would be nice! LOL

The stock is resting for some big news/movement, we have a new investor who owns a ton of the stock, the Canadian government loaned Spain $ 268 million to buy phones and it makes sense that an investor in Spain would like the investment knowing that. Apple has a $ 60billion dollar, share buy back program, and the stock is sinking. Their next i OS upgrade won't happen until BlackBerry shows them some more stuff in BB 10.2, so that's cool too. The stars are aligning here, we are about to lift off!
    Hi, Morgan, welcome back, still waiting for that runnnnnnnnnnnn.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-12-13 05:50 PM
    From SA

"Atlas Capital is not a bank. It is an investment group that specializes in the management of large capitals on behalf of wealthy investors. There are some members from a previous group that used to be called AB Asesores, which was very successful.

Atlas Capital is reputed in Spain for improving the value of companies they invest into.

Seeing Atlas Capital today as the second largest insitutional BlackBerry holder has put a big smile on my face. If confirmed, it is good news."
    06-12-13 06:07 PM
    Bilaal you were confident enough to buy @ $18.14. It wasn't stupidity. Just the market put the stock on a fire sale after you bought. Up to you if you shop again or not. Unless you think it's a liquidation sale don't be too hard on yourself. Things have gotten even better since you bought from a product release aspect. Hang tight!

Wishful thinking here but even if this short squeeze takes us to $30 and we then trade back and forth between $28-32 onwards, I'll be happy.

S***, anything above what I stupidly bought it at ($18.14) would be nice.
    06-12-13 06:08 PM
    06-12-13 06:11 PM
113,256 ... 12591260126112621263 ...