Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    This sounds cool and inline with Heins view of mobile computing

Mobile Enterprise with HDMI, Bluetooth devices and more - BerryReview
    CDM76, jxnb, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    06-09-13 11:57 PM
    I have cut and paste the guidance above. It's nothing fancy but they plan to break even.
    Charles, very kindly, this is not guidance. At best a roadmap.

Don't want to fire an extra post for that, so please guys keep your mouth clean. No one is silly and a little history research is always a good thing before qualifying someone as a troll.
    Please chill out. THANKS

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-10-13 12:51 AM
    If I were a bull analyst I'd much rather have the numbers come in higher than my estimate as my price target would be more realistic if they did. As for the million device order, we don't know over what time frame it is to be filled. We just know that an order for that many devices was placed. I'm not being pessimistic but also would much rather keep my expectations in check than be disappointed when the numbers don't meet my lofty guess.

Posted via CB10
    I think that may be the case. Misek's prediction for Q4 was 500,000 BB10 units, which was actually below what most analysts thought, and I think he was predicting a 30-something cent loss at that time too, which was slightly worse than average.

That allowed him to talk about how BlackBerry "demolished" the numbers in articles such as the one below. If he had a very rosy forecast to begin with, it probably doesn't give him as much leeway to talk the company up afterwards.

Blackberry maker Research in Motion posts surprise profit - CBS News
    matthewriedle, bungaboy and take99 like this.
    06-10-13 12:56 AM
    Have a look at this chart. It's from someone on StockTwits. I believe there were more than just me here on Friday who were thinking the same. This hasn't been a pretty month and our attempts at rallying have faded again and again.

It supports what I've been saying about a longer deeper fall than seen in March and April. It's too long with no news that hurts us.

Hopefully, after some of the positive articles this weekend we can climb for real. Better yet, maybe we'll get a pre-release announcement.
    Charles,

Whoever drew this chart needs to go back to Charting 101. Those yellow, blue, and white lines are not trend lines! It's unbelievable that someone just grabbed a chart, drew a few straight lines, and then had the audacity to actually pontificate about where the BBRY stock price is headed.

Analyzing stock-price charts is a type of science and technical analysts like me take it rather seriously. While there is some subjectivity regarding the exactness of trend lines, there is a very clear method employed by professional chartists regarding how they're to be drawn: An ascending trend line is drawn by connecting two or more low points while ensuring the line does not cross through any prices. A descending trend line is drawn by connecting two or more high points while ensuring the line does not cross through any prices.

Every trend line drawn in the chart you cited is drawn incorrectly. This is a classic example some fool having access to a tool without proper training on how to use it. As if it's not abhorrent enough that someone presented such an ostensibly well-drawn chart to a group of nervous investors without basic knowledge of charting, this unskilled individual actually injected seemingly academic narrative regarding the BBRY stock price and where it's headed.

Because the chart's trend lines are drawn incorrectly--I daresay incompetently, unprofessionally, and perhaps even deceptively--they are completely useless and the conclusions based upon them are equally without merit.

I believe you took that chart from stocktwits.com. It's clear to me that whoever created the chart is indeed a stock twit--or at least a chart twit. We've got some very experienced chartists already on this forum (I am one of them)--I hope more people than just me realized that the chart you posted was of dubious value. And I also hope that people new to charting don't fall so quickly for the conclusions presented by alluring charts with pretty lines and colors. This investment game is a serious business and if you're going to let charts guide any of your trading decisions, be sure to understand what is objective and what is subjective in charting--and what conclusions can reasonably and logically be drawn by such charting data and images. There are a lot of people out there who have no clue what they're doing but, unfortunately, these stock chart programs make every chartist look like an expert.
    06-10-13 12:58 AM
    Well I've also caught two GS4 commercials and one for iRobot. I can't say I'm watching all the ads, but there certainly seems to be a bunch of tech ads. So where is Blackberry?
    Probably targeting a different market? Or maybe stats say they can market to this same market in another manner? Or maybe they just can't be on during ALL major events. Or maybe their contract is with a different network and that network isn't broadcasting the game? Lots of possibilities....

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 01:22 AM
    BBM Channels monetization. Looks like BBRY is hiring a sales team.

BlackBerryOS.com - BlackBerry Begins Hiring Sales Marketing Team For BBM Channels
    06-10-13 03:44 AM
    The media is all over this data mining/hacking thing by android and ios. BlackBerry should take this opportunity and make a commercial that attacks them and shows that they are the secure choice.
    06-10-13 04:23 AM
    http://www.mobilebloom.com/android-i...iting/2235977/

A bit rehashed but those 50% conversion numbers seem to be sticking. Plus it's good to see the Z10 getting a sale price! Sell like hell!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 05:08 AM
    Good start to the morning so far. It will interesting to also see what iOS7 will look like.
    06-10-13 05:25 AM
    The media is all over this data mining/hacking thing by android and ios. BlackBerry should take this opportunity and make a commercial that attacks them and shows that they are the secure choice.
    What make you and others think that Blackberry is safe from the NSA?
    06-10-13 05:27 AM
    Unless blackberry gives them access to their servers, services like bbm are still encrypted.
    BlackBerryOS.com - The NSA And Prism, Where Does BlackBerry Stand?
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    06-10-13 05:35 AM
    What make you think BlackBerry is not safe from the NSA?

Anyways, I don't think that anyone said that BlackBerry is safe from government spying, but BlackBerry is the most secure platform. So this might be a good time to point that out.

Posted via CB10
    matthewriedle and bungaboy like this.
    06-10-13 05:40 AM
    Why the NSA Prism Program Could Kill U.S. Tech Companies

Within 24 hours, the leak of two documents has revealed a vast network of National Security Agency (NSA) surveillance operations that were authorized by FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) courts with the oversight of the U.S. Congress. The first document, which Popular Mechanics detailed yesterday, was a FISA court order demanding all telephony metadata from Verizon Business Network Services over a three-month period, though it hinted at a much broader program of call log data mining. The second document referred to a different—and apparently much larger—program aimed at real-time analysis of web traffic from nine large technology firms, including Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Apple, and ("coming soon") Dropbox. Details are still murky, but it's clear that this was not some clandestine sniffing effort—it was done with the full cooperation of the companies involved (though many of the companies have denied that this represents an automatic backdoor into their servers).

According to the document, a bizarrely low-budget internal PowerPoint from the NSA, this Prism surveillance program could give the NSA access to email, video chat, VoIP conversations, photos, and stored data from the participating companies. Unlike the call data collection program, this program focuses on mining the content of online communication, not just the metadata about them, and is potentially a much greater privacy intrusion. James Clapper, the director of national intelligence, said in a statement that the Prism program "could not be used to intentionally target any U.S. citizen"—a statement that, given the nature of how data mining is done, should do little to allay the fears of civil libertarians.

Let's say we take Clapper at his word: How much should we worry about a program that is aimed at monitoring the digital communications of foreigners? We should worry quite a bit, because this issue goes far beyond just respecting the civil liberties of non-Americans.

Think for a second about just how the U.S. economy has changed in the last 40 years. While a large percentage of our economy is still based in manufacturing, some of the most ascendant U.S. companies since the 1970s have been in the information technology sector. Companies such as Microsoft, Apple, and Google are major exporters of information services (if you can think of such a thing as "exportable") through products such as Gmail, iCloud, Exchange, and Azure. Hundreds of millions of people use these services worldwide, and it has just been revealed to everybody outside the U.S. that our government reserves the right to look into their communications whenever it wants.

If you lived in Japan, India, Australia, Mexico, or Brazil, and you used Gmail, or synced your photos through iCloud, or chatted via Skype, how would you feel about that? Let's say you ran a business in those countries that relied upon information services from a U.S. company. Don't these revelations make using such a service a business liability? In fact, doesn't this news make it a national security risk for pretty much any other country to use information services from companies based in the U.S.? How should we expect the rest of the world to react?

Here's a pretty good guess: Other countries will start routing around the U.S. information economy by developing, or even mandating, their own competing services. In 2000, the European Union worked out a series of "Safe Harbor" regulations mandating privacy protection standards for companies storing E.U. citizens' data on servers outside of the E.U. For U.S. companies, that means applying stronger privacy protection for European data than for our own citizens' data. And now there is considerable reason to believe that Prism violated our Safe Harbor agreements with the E.U.

Has it come to this? Are we really willing to let the fear of terrorism threaten one of the most important sectors of the U.S. economy? Frankly, I expect the Prism program to fall apart on its own, not because of public outcry but because the companies that participated will now see it as a toxic association that could threaten their status in fast-growing foreign markets. If U.S. intelligence agencies try to compel participation through the courts, I expect companies such as Apple and Google to start putting up a legal fight—not just because Prism is bad public relations, because it's bad for business.

Read more: Why the NSA Prism Program Could Kill U.S. Tech Companies - Popular Mechanics
    Follow us: @PopMech on Twitter | popularmechanics on Facebook
    Visit us at PopularMechanics.com

Why the NSA Prism Program Could Kill U.S. Tech Companies - Popular Mechanics
    Acumenight likes this.
    06-10-13 05:50 AM
    No one, inside or outside of U.S.A is safe.
    But BB are not spied on a global and systematic scale.
    They *can* get in, but one a "one case at the time, on request" basis.
    Totally another story , IMHO.

Some here (UE/FR) are starting (they're late in the party lol) to worry about uncle Sam looking into their dipers. Some are even very angry, and they're not birds.
    06-10-13 05:51 AM
    No one, inside or outside of U.S.A is safe.
    But BB are not spied on a global and systematic scale.
    They *can* get in, but one a "one case at the time, on request" basis.
    Totally another story , IMHO.

Some here (UE/FR) are starting (they're late in the party lol) to worry about uncle Sam looking into their dipers. Some are even very angry, and they're not birds.
    I wonder if those ultra secure BlackBerry phones that the Germans bought will start selling a little faster now.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-10-13 05:59 AM
    Premarket up 1.37%

PS where is Charles this morning?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 06:04 AM
    What make you think BlackBerry is not safe from the NSA?

Anyways, I don't think that anyone said that BlackBerry is safe from government spying, but BlackBerry is the most secure platform. So this might be a good time to point that out.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. We don't need "attack" ads on the other companies, just a gentle reminder to the people who are worried about Big Brother that BlackBerry is their most secure choice.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    plasmid_boy and bungaboy like this.
    06-10-13 06:05 AM
    Unless blackberry gives them access to their servers, services like bbm are still encrypted.
    Blackberry HAS given other countries "access".

I would bet that the US has got the same.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 06-10-13 at 06:39 AM.
    06-10-13 06:16 AM
    Propaganda?

From Wikipedia; propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed towards influencing the attitude of the community toward some cause or position by presenting only one side of an argument. Propaganda is usually repeated and dispersed over a wide variety of media in order to create the chosen result in audience attitudes.

This is what we are seeing here with the institutions that have an interest in keeping the SP down. When I see brief reports issued online (or worst still, 140 characters maximum on twitter) presenting just one side of an argument I have no interest whatsoever. A good report however brief needs to be balanced and reasoned. Detwiler Fenton, IGT and their ilk are actually doing a good job of planting seeds of doubt in the minds of Crackberry forum users never mind ordinary retail investors. It is really difficult to get any clarity in the fog of war.

I have stayed long on BBRY and from the beginning of my financial interest last December, I planned to hold until September ’13 ER because I felt it would be then when I would get a clearer picture of BlackBerry’s future. Nothing since has made me change my mind. I don’t know what the numbers are going to be for June ER and neither does anyone else outside BBRY senior management.

I have an open mind as to the future direction of the SP prior to the June ER. This is why I asked Thunder about his short term view. He could yet be right. I should have put up a chart last Friday but it was 4pm London time and with a young family, I had to shoot off and collect the cost centres from their after school clubs.

Morgan has posted many gems on here and one gem referred to the development of your trading/investing style. We are all different people with distinct personalities and characteristics. We need to find a style of trading/investing that matches our characteristics. Some people look only to the short term (15 minutes) and others to the long term (multi year) and everything else in between.

It took me a while to find my trading style but as soon as I found it, I tweaked and redefined it until I was really satisfied with the match. I have not looked back since.

A few caveats.

I don’t use indicators in the conventional sense. If you think about it, what do you do if you see price is a screaming buy/sell but your indicator is showing overbought/oversold numbers? The indicators can stay overbought/oversold for months. Also it is a lagging indicator. Price has moved quite a distance before you see the indicator turns into the same direction. So I use just one indicator (it doesn’t matter if it is MACD, Stochastic etc) and turn it into a leading indicator by looking for divergence between the indicator and the price over the same period of time. I will show this on the chart below.

Also, when a bar or candle on the upside breaks through and closes over a level or trend line, this level/trendline flips over to support from resistance and vice versa on the downside. This is evidenced on the charts below.

When you hear people talk about buying on the dips/pullbacks, do you wonder when and where is the best place to buy on the dips? I use Fibonacci retracements (fibs) of 38%, 50% and 61% as levels for buying/adding to positions. The fibs are drawn from left to right from the swing low to the swing high. This will be showed on the charts below.

Since January I have redrawn the rising trendline three times and it is now flatter than the one drawn 3 months ago. I was taught that the trendline only becomes valid when it has 3 touches. I am still waiting.

Finally, I always put daily and weekly pivots on my charts for any security. You will see why BBRY reached 14.13 on Friday on my chart. Selling pressure at the weekly pivot caused the SP to retrace.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry1.jpg

The above chart also shows the 200 EMA which I referred to a week ago as support for the last 6 months. It is depicted by the thick dashed red line. The thick blue line shows the 2 divergences between price and the indicator in March and now. The price broke below both the pennant formation and the 38% fib retracement last week and this support suddenly turns into resistance. This is why I suggested last Monday that as much as I love to see a rally immediately, I felt price would consolidate for a period of time as there were headwinds above the price level, namely the resistance at 13.70.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry2.jpg

The above chart has been zoomed in for clarity. Last week's weekly pivot was 14.13 and this was touched on Friday before reversing. This week's weekly pivot is at 13.75 so hopefully we can open today above this and not look back. There is still the dreaded 14.20 level that is now resistance. I am quite sure we will reach that this week before bouncing off before trying again. Cowbells please!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry3.jpg

The last chart is the weekly candles. I agree with J Lagoon that there is a hammer type of candle that should the price breaks 14.13 this week, we may see a rally to $15 at least.

Diversification is the name of the game. While I haven't made any money on BlackBerry yet, there has been a screaming bull market out there in the S&P 500 and I have been making a tidy income in the last 6 months in addition to currencies and commodities. Don't put all your eggs in one basket as it simply becomes an emotional rollercoaster.

Morgan, if you are reading this, I hope all is well with you and this place just isn't the same without you. GL everyone.
    Last edited by The Selected Fruit; 06-10-13 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Italics added.
    06-10-13 06:21 AM
    There is a good article by Chris Umiastowski on Crackberry about the possible short squeeze

Will BlackBerry see a massive short squeeze when the Q10 is in full swing? | CrackBerry.com

I found the comments even more interesting than the article.

Sorry if this was already posted.
    06-10-13 06:52 AM
    Ok, let's make this one short. BBM encryption sits on a unique encryption key. Now, the PIN2PIN makes it difficult to scan.
    Technically, it's not secure, it's "scrambled". PIN encryption keys - Security Note - BlackBerry Messenger - 5.0, 6.0, 7.0

So, I wonder HOW could BB give the key, unless opening the whole world encryption ...
    bungaboy and silversun10 like this.
    06-10-13 06:56 AM
    Ok, let's make this one short. BBM encryption sits on a unique encryption key. Now, the PIN2PIN makes it difficult to scan.
    Technically, it's not secure, it's "scrambled". PIN encryption keys - Security Note - BlackBerry Messenger - 5.0, 6.0, 7.0

So, I wonder HOW could BB give the key, unless opening the whole world encryption ...
    I believe that BlackBerry had to setup a new system in India and had to provide a key to the Indian authority.

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    06-10-13 07:03 AM
    Blackberry HAS given other countries "access".

I would bet that the US has got the same.
    Legal and binding access only after a court order. Big difference!
    It's unreal that those global brands are as good as wide open spy agencies for their home country.
    Thats one stupid business decision!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:06 AM
    I believe that BlackBerry had to setup a new system in India and had to provide a key to the Indian authority.

Posted via CB10
    There's those 2 words again "I believe"
    I've never seen BlackBerry confirm the above. Can you provide a link? Seriously if you have one I'd be very interested and concerned to read it.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:09 AM
    Legal and binding access only after a court order. Big difference!
    It's unreal that those global brands are as good as wide open spy agencies for their home country.
    Thats one stupid business decision!

Posted via CB10
    Getting a court order is no biggie. That is what the original Patriot Act required.

I am more worried about the Patriot Act as it exists today. I think we will fine it has changed a good bit.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-10-13 07:10 AM
113,252 ... 12311232123312341235 ...