View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I want to see progress!
    With the way the last 2 weeks have gone, and the options today, like thunder mentioned, it looks like it might get pinned. Also, it was a slow and steady decline so I'm ok with a slow and steady rise. Progress is being made and we held off the further decline, finished green the last two days, and held off the bears for a full half hour assault up to close yesterday. When was the last time we saw an increase of volume like that and no movement on the price? And of course we all know that the intent at the end of day is to drive the price down.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-07-13 06:27 AM
    I want to see progress!
    There will be progress today
    cjcampbell likes this.
    06-07-13 06:28 AM
    sad if this is true..
    Slackberry | PandoDaily
    Did we expect the day to pass without some ***** rendition of how a BB launch was supposed to go. Seems we do this every launch so I wont bother to use all the counter points.
    06-07-13 06:36 AM
    Hmmm...maybe I will hold off adding just yet. There are more than a few saying similar things about under $13. Three more weeks, especially from this price, is a LONGGGG time.
    I've just added more this morning at$13.71. I will be in meeting all day so can't watch today.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 06:40 AM
    I always said Blackberry was a $12 stock before the Z10 came out. So any progress the stock makes above $12 is what I say is due to the new phones. If it drops below $12 that means the new phones haven't made any progress according to my $12 number. Anyways nothing to worry about yet. We still gotta get q10 to all the businesses. It's not like the company is going to die after serving all the worlds businesses!!
    Our estimates have been over 18-25 a share if the phones flopped. Although patents are hard to value. The Nortel auction gave us some clues.

Powered by QNX
    Bugmapper and rarsen like this.
    06-07-13 06:48 AM
    Don't guess this will have any impact

Stock Market & Financial Investment News: Educated Investors Get Live Stock Market News Feeds & Alerts at The Fly On the Wall

BlackBerry checks show sales of Z10 slowing, says Jefferies
    Jefferies said its channel checks indicate that sales of BlackBerry's Z10 phone are slowing globally while Q10 sales are doing better than expected. The firm still believes BlackBerry will beat consensus estimates for both the May and August quarters and keeps a Buy rating on the stock with a $22 price target.
    Valid but not new, Jefferies stated there was a drop in demand for the Z a few weeks ago, followed by the fact that that is normal for any new product after launch! just look at the SS GS4 numbers, I call those a quick drop off!
    06-07-13 06:49 AM
    In fact there is an exciting new BlackBerry 7 smartphone coming very soon!" Read 3rd paragraph BlackBerry Buddies - BB 10 FAQ's - South Africa
    bungaboy and Dapper37 like this.
    06-07-13 06:53 AM
    "..exciting new BlackBerry 7 smartphone coming very soon!"
    ^^ That's an oxymoron, isn't it? Or are people in some regions still truly excited about BBOS 7?
    06-07-13 06:56 AM
    Post this on your fb/twitter guys:
    Can someone link to a higher res version? My old eyes can't read much beyond the "50+". ;-)
    06-07-13 06:59 AM
    ^^ That's an oxymoron, isn't it? Or are people in some regions still truly excited about BBOS 7?
    Who cares as long as it sells!
    bungaboy and peter9477 like this.
    06-07-13 07:01 AM
    There are a lot of 2nd and 3rd world markets (and travellers/roamers) that benefit huge from BIS and compressed data... And from encryption for that matter.
    bungaboy and peter9477 like this.
    06-07-13 07:03 AM
    Everyone would like to know where the case against DF is, this is a strong indication that its in process! which is to say, shti is happening.
    At the same time I post this because I like this guy and for that matter I like the top tier management team that TH has assembled! "A LOT" These things matter to the bottom line!

BlackBerry's New Lawyer Is Getting Busy - Bloomberg

Steve Zipperstein prosecuted failed savings-and-loan associations in the 1980s and investigated the government's siege of the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, in the '90s. Now the battle-hardened lawyer has joined Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry to fight its critics.

Zipperstein, who turns 54 this month, was lured out of retirement in Santa Barbara, California, last spring year by an offer to become BlackBerry's chief legal officer. He joined the Waterloo, Ontario-based company in July to handle everything from patent disputes to privacy issues, and says his time as a Justice Department lawyer and federal prosecutor in Los Angeles will serve him well in defending BlackBerry's interests.

"I was really blessed to be able to combine jury trial courtroom experience with inside-the-Beltway Washington political policy experience," Zipperstein said in an interview.

After years of market-share losses, BlackBerry is trying to stem a customer exodus to Google's Android and Apple's iOS, and the company's taking a more assertive legal approach to disputes. That includes challenging analysts who publish reports that BlackBerry says are untrue and lobbying for legislation to thwart companies derided as patent trolls, which obtain patents to demand royalties rather than making their own products.

One of Zipperstein's targets: Detwiler Fenton & Co., a Boston-based financial-services firm. Detwiler said in an April report that return rates of the new BlackBerry Z10 were unusually high and in some cases exceeded sales of the phone.

It was a charge that BlackBerry and Zipperstein refused to let stand unchallenged. The company asked both the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Ontario Securities Commission to investigate the report. Zipperstein at the time called it either "a gross misreading of the data or a willful manipulation." BlackBerry's stock fell almost 8 percent on April 11 after the Detwiler report appeared.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion," Zipperstein said. "It was characterized as a statement of actual fact, and it was wrong."

Zipperstein declined to discuss where the investigations now stand, as did representatives from the SEC and the Ontario Securities Commission. Neither Anne Buckley, Detwiler Fenton's chief compliance officer, nor her colleague Steve Abbiuso returned responded to messages seeking comment.

Zipperstein's response to Detwiler Fenton was very much in character, said William Petersen, general counsel at Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. wireless carrier. Zipperstein worked as Verizon's general counsel from 2003 until he retired in 2011.

"As a former federal prosecutor and investigator, he approached the job very creatively and aggressively," Petersen said in an interview. "He never wanted Verizon to be on the defensive, and that really helped."

Zipperstein also backs U.S. legislation that would force plaintiffs in patent litigation to pay the costs of the defendant, an attempt to dissuade frivolous lawsuits.

"For far too long, that conduct has gone on unchallenged," he said.

A week after Zipperstein joined the company in July, a federal jury awarded Mformation Technologies $147.2 million in a patent-infringement case against BlackBerry. Zipperstein went back to the judge to make the argument that Mformation had failed to meet the burden of proof. Six weeks later, the trial judge overturned the verdict and threw it out.

Mformation appealed the decision in September. Stephanie Markham, a spokeswoman for the Edison, New Jersey-based company, didn't return respond to messages seeking comment.

"BlackBerry is no longer an easy target for patent lawsuits," Zipperstein said. "We're fighting back and we're going to continue to fight back."
    06-07-13 07:05 AM
    Karma? LoL

Samsung stung, loses $12-billion market value on smartphone worries

Miyoung Kim

SEOUL — Reuters

Published Friday, Jun. 07 2013, 5:58 AM EDT

Last updated Friday, Jun. 07 2013, 7:09 AM EDT

Samsung Electronics Co. lost $12-billion in market value on Friday, hit by brokerage downgrades that have underscored concerns about slowing sales of its flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone.

The share slide of more than 6 per cent comes after it recently introduced two stripped-down versions of the S4, fanning worries that profit margins for its mobile business will suffer. It also follows a report that archrival Apple will begin a trade-in program for iPhones.

The new stripped-down S4 models will help it widen its lead in the global smartphone market and fend off Chinese competitors, but some fear that the South Korean tech giant is trading in profits for volume.

Analysts say sales momentum for the high-end version of the S4, which became its fastest selling smartphone since it launch in late April, has slowed.

“Sales of high-end handsets are lagging behind expectations, while low- to mid-end handsets are selling briskly worldwide,” said Kim Young-chan, an analyst at Shinhan Investment Corp.

“As the portion of low– to mid-range handsets is expected to increase in Samsung’s overall mobile phone business, this has also sparked concerns about thinning margins and lower growth.”

Apple will start a program this month to allow users to trade their older iPhones for the newest model, Bloomberg news agency cited people familiar with the plan as saying, a first for the company as it prepares to introduce a new version of the smartphone.

“With Apple widely expected to announce an older iPhone trade-in program and also a new cheaper iPhone, overall growth prospects for (Samsung’s) smartphone business have dimmed,” said Kim Hyun-yong, an analyst at E*trade Securities.

“Second-quarter results will be solid but we have to see whether the trend can be sustainable going forward.”

Shares in Samsung finished down 6.2 per cent at their lowest level in four months, wiping out 14 trillion won of value to bring its market cap to 210.2 trillion won.

It was their biggest daily percentage drop since late August when the stock tumbled more than 7 per cent following a U.S. jury verdict that it infringed on Apple’s patents.

Samsung, which represents nearly 20 per cent of the main bourse’s market value, helped send the main stock index 1.9 per cent lower, while suppliers of smartphone components were also hammered.

Brokerage downgrades this week included a 4.8 per cent cut in Samsung’s price target to 2.0 million won from Woori Securities. It cited weakening profit growth for Samsung’s mobile business, which generates around 70 per cent of its total earnings.

It also cut 2013 and 2014 earnings per share forecasts by 9.2 per cent and 11.7 per cent respectively.

JPMorgan slashed its earnings estimates and said monthly orders for the S4 have been cut by 20-30 per cent to 7-8 million from July due to weak demand in Europe and South Korea.

Among smartphone component suppliers taking a battering, camera module maker Partron tumbled 11 per cent, printed circuit board maker Interflex dived 10.6 per cent and camera lens manufacturer Digital Optics shed 12 per cent.

Ratings agency Fitch Ratings also said on Thursday it was not planning to upgrade Samsung’s A+ rating in the medium term due to its heavy reliance on the fickle consumer electronics market, in particular handsets.

“Samsung has yet to prove its ‘creative’ innovation, that is, launching a product or a market segment that has not existed before in addition to prowess in manufacturing technology,” Fitch said.
    06-07-13 07:07 AM
    sad if this is true..
    Slackberry | PandoDaily
    the only thing true here this is the sort of articles the shorts put out with every launch, that is the only thing true about this BOGUS article.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-07-13 07:13 AM
    Hmmmm..

Both Apples and Samsungs mighty wings appear clipped in a market sentiment extent..

Enter Blackberry – first Q report that has very negative street expectations that they are almost assuredly going to beat and beat handidly.
    Oh yes, over 33% of the stock is shorted by big dumb money still expecting Blackberry to be the next Nortel.

That folks – sounds like a perfect storm to me.
    Hang on, it's going to be a wild ride.
    I'm putting on a sell order at $39.
    06-07-13 07:15 AM
    Hmmmm..

Both Apples and Samsungs mighty wings appear clipped in a market sentiment extent..

Enter Blackberry – first Q report that has very negative street expectations that they are almost assuredly going to beat and beat handidly.
    Oh yes, over 33% of the stock is shorted by big dumb money still expecting Blackberry to be the next Nortel.

Save a mitt full for the $100 party. Would love to see you there.
    matthewriedle likes this.
    06-07-13 07:20 AM
    Karma? LoL
    Perhaps sales of BB10 phones are killing them...lol
    La Emperor likes this.
    06-07-13 07:22 AM
    It will be interesting to see how AAPL, GOOG and MSFT will react today after the story last night, and BBRY since they weren't mentioned in the report.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-07-13 07:22 AM
    Jeffries say Blackberry Q10 channel checks "so far so good"
    06-07-13 07:25 AM
    from jeffries....

q10 better than expected
    z10 slowing
    Thinks BBRY may "materially" beat street projections in FY1Q
    bungaboy, matthewriedle and jxnb like this.
    06-07-13 07:26 AM
    06-07-13 07:27 AM
    Hmmmm..

Most of the negative news for Apple and Samsung is directly related to the economy.

Blackberry can not escape this downturn either. Blackberry should get a huge boost if they can get the Corps to upgrade their employee's devices, after that it will be up to the individual buyer and his finances.
    06-07-13 07:32 AM
    from jeffries....

q10 better than expected
    z10 slowing
    Thinks BBRY may "materially" beat street projections in FY1Q
    Is there a link?
    06-07-13 07:34 AM
    Nice. This guy seems to be very astute in his field.
    06-07-13 07:36 AM
    Both Canadian and US job numbers are good. Maybe the markers rise?

Canada added 95K jobs vs 15K estimates
    US added 175K vs 163K estimates
    06-07-13 07:37 AM
113,250 ... 12161217121812191220 ...