View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Went to the black hole called yahoo Finance. The Lenove rumor mill is on fire. Apparently they are after a partnership. . Eithr MSFT or BBRY. I think BBRY makes no sense.
    The fact that Lenovo recently did a US$ denominated bond issue recently to raise cash to finance M&A transactions is interesting. Why would they get US$ bonds if they were not doing a JV with a North American partner. Perhaps the time has come to license BB10 into China / Japan?
    06-03-13 11:14 PM
    I've been thinking about grand visions more lately. keep in mind that BBM would require new functionality. But look at how Link on your laptop on OS 10.1 can make you laptop in the USA available to a smartphone in Japan.

A BBM compliant thermostat would have some sort of BBM/link functionality built in. with this, you could see your networked thermostat anywhere in the world. You;'d know your homes temperature. And be able to adjust the thermostat from anywhere in the world.

In terms of System design. You have a laptop and Z10 linked via common secure server that registers the devices. I assume this is how link is working with your Z10 when you connect via 4GLTE. Well, let the thermostat register with the same secure server letting the owner see the thermostat in a "virtual" manner. Use BBM as some sort of backbone to the system. as long as it is BBM, we it can go cross platform. But you still monetize via licensing fees to thermostat makers.

Thermostats are just an easy example. now think, TV, stove, fridge, electronic door locks, etc. Imagine forgetting to lock the doors and being able to lock them remotely. And then you lock yourself out but your phones can unlock the doors remotely and securely.

This gets to be an interesting vision.

So, there is the how the tech works and the monetization model.

But it also seems like BBRY is walking on a tight rope. One slip up in the plan could cause a death fall. First you need BBM buy in. then you need to license BB10/BBM. Then you need consumers to buy in. And this is just 5 minutes into the thought process. I couldn't imagine what a top level plan/schedule looks like.
    Exactly. People are completely overlooking this. Think about bb link functionality in cars. Automatic starting from your bed in the morning. Transferring songs directly to the head unit. Uploading itineraries, etc, etc.
    morganplus8, m0de25, zyben and 4 others like this.
    06-03-13 11:16 PM
    The fact that Lenovo recently did a US$ denominated bond issue recently to raise cash to finance M&A transactions is interesting. Why would they get US$ bonds if they were not doing a JV with a North American partner. Perhaps the time has come to license BB10 into China / Japan?
    That's what the yahoo finance boners were saying.

Posted via CB10
    Scott Lefebvre likes this.
    06-03-13 11:24 PM
    Exactly. People are completely overlooking this. Think about bb link functionality in cars. Automatic starting from your bed in the morning. Transferring songs directly to the head unit. Uploading itineraries, etc, etc.
    Ya!

Come to think of it, your car would probably be connected via wifi, so you could transfer a lot of music very quickly for the drive to work.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 11:26 PM
    Seems like lenovo is entering into a jv with NEC, nothing to do with bbry at the moment

Lenovo says in initial talks on smartphone venture
    bungaboy and jxnb like this.
    06-03-13 11:30 PM
    Seems like lenovo is entering into a jv with NEC, nothing to do with bbry at the moment

Lenovo says in initial talks on smartphone venture
    That's not necessarily the case, the NEC deal is an old one, valued at just $ 200 million, this one is much bigger and likely a North American deal. Lenovo has about $ 4.4 billion in cash as of March/2013. Why would they need more? This is getting interesting.

What makes it interesting is the departure of BB from Japan and lack of a distribution deal for China while looking to have their handsets made by someone else .... meanwhile, Lenovo is looking to get into Enterprise with an OS deal to boot. Please think about this again!
    06-04-13 12:00 AM
    Went to the black hole called yahoo Finance. The Lenove rumor mill is on fire. Apparently they are after a partnership. . Eithr MSFT or BBRY. I think BBRY makes no sense.
    It doesn't make sense BB. I think they have some good ideas. I just think their lack of PR, promotion and advertisement are hurting them. People are making these rumours to build up the stock price so they can sell their shares that they brought at a low price. If BB isn't defending itself people will make a mockery out this company and the stock .

Thank you for your input I still support BB
    06-04-13 12:01 AM
    That's not necessarily the case, the NEC deal is an old one, valued at just $ 200 million, this one is much bigger and likely a North American deal. Lenovo has about $ 4.4 billion in cash as of March/2013. Why would they need more? This is getting interesting.

What makes it interesting is the departure of BB from Japan and lack of a distribution deal for China while looking to have their handsets made by someone else .... meanwhile, Lenovo is looking to get into Enterprise with an OS deal to boot. Please think about this again!
    Morgan do you want them to partner with Lenovo?

Security is starting to become a big deal once again and I'm a little weary that a partnership with a chinese company will affect enterprise/govt sales in the long run.
    matthewriedle likes this.
    06-04-13 12:05 AM
    Hey Morgan Ive been yappin about a lenovo partnership for quite awhile on here and would love for them to license bb10 for China, but it seems for now that the dance partner is NEC. The story I linked is from today, hope to be proven wrong. Lenovo deal for China and Sony for Japan, these are things I like to think will happen.

That's not necessarily the case, the NEC deal is an old one, valued at just $ 200 million, this one is much bigger and likely a North American deal. Lenovo has about $ 4.4 billion in cash as of March/2013. Why would they need more? This is getting interesting

morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    06-04-13 12:06 AM
    Hey Morgan Ive been yappin about a lenovo partnership for quite awhile on here and would love for them to license bb10 for China, but it seems for now that the dance partner is NEC. The story I linked is from today, hope to be proven wrong. Lenovo deal for China and Sony for Japan, these are things I like to think will happen.
    A partnership with a good strong company would stabilize BB, with all these shorts and stock manipulation.

Seriously we keep hearing about short squeeze, great ER, but we all know that all the negative analysts will find some way to drive the stock price down, and the individual long investors.
    06-04-13 12:12 AM
    Morgan do you want them to partner with Lenovo?

Security is starting to become a big deal once again and I'm a little weary that a partnership with a chinese company will affect enterprise/govt sales in the long run.
    At the most, a partnership can work, nothing more than that. BlackBerry would go with services/security and Lenovo will handle the scale needed to sell into China and everything accept North America. Security would stay with BB. I can see this working out well. As a team they could do some serious damage here. Imagine BlackBerry having some serious manufacturing scale, Apple wouldn't be too thrilled would they? Then there is the M2M proposal, BB could take this to a crazy level that would leave even Samsung scratching its head. In terms of money, how much are they trying to raise tomorrow? That would be key. With the $ 4.4 billion they already have, they could look at a significant deal with BlackBerry while not infringing on political issues of our NA governments. This isn't about NEC, its much bigger than that.
    06-04-13 12:15 AM
    You may be correct; however, it's important to note that the deal with NEC is for its hardware divison. Mobile phones also require an OS!

Edit: morganplus8 beat me! Good answer

06-04-13 12:15 AM
    Take99,

That NEC deal is for peanuts, they have $ 4.4 billion in cash and that deal is for a defunct phone business worth around $ 200 million. This is much bigger than buying/partnering with NEC. Your article just mentions that NEC rumour, it isn't as if they need to go to the US to borrow a pile of money to make those smaller deals work. They want something much bigger and something with BB could work.
    take99 likes this.
    06-04-13 12:18 AM
    Clarification announcement from Lenovo CEO:

The board of directors (the “Board”) of the Company noted certain articles published in the internet in relation to a possible joint venture arrangement between the Company and a party on smartphone business.
    http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...0130604035.pdf

There has been a lot of speculation that Lenovo is still interested in IBM's server business. Talks broke down after IBM wanted $6B for it. With Lenovo's recent raising of debt, could they be looking at IBM? I don't see why Lenovo's CEO would then mention "a smartphone business" in his most recent letter. Makes no sense to me...?
    Last edited by fedakd; 06-04-13 at 12:37 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-04-13 12:20 AM
    Morgan you're up late Btw esp considering its Monday night!
    06-04-13 12:23 AM
    Morgan you're up late Btw esp considering its Monday night!
    Yeah! I've got a project on the go and I need to get the engineering paperwork done on it ASAP. Now this distraction!
    CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    06-04-13 12:25 AM
    Lenovo already sells 5 mill phones per quarter in China. If they were running BB10, kaching!

'The company has already seen strong sales in China, with sales rapidly approaching the 5 million mark per quarter in the country. It has already surpassed Apple, Nokia, and Huawei in market share, taking 13 percent in the country, behind Samsung's 16.7 percent.'

Lenovo 'in talks' on smartphone joint venture | ZDNet
    06-04-13 12:29 AM
    Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 12:50 AM
    Something big is def about to go down. Lenovo issued a warming to shareholders:

"The Board would like to inform the shareholders of the Company (the “Shareholders”) and potential investors that the Company is in preliminary negotiations with a party in connection with a potential joint venture transaction (the “
    Potential Transaction”).

Check the link out:

http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...0130604035.pdf
    Last edited by Tinomane; 06-04-13 at 01:38 AM.
    06-04-13 12:54 AM
    Lenovo + BB along with a strong Q1 = Boom!
    06-04-13 12:55 AM
    Btw Digital Trends named the Z10 as the best smartphone

Best Cell Phones | Digital Trends Reviews
    06-04-13 01:04 AM
    good announcement, we should long both NEC and BBRY
    plane6065 likes this.
    06-04-13 01:06 AM
    Lenovo already sells 5 mill phones per quarter in China. If they were running BB10, kaching!

'The company has already seen strong sales in China, with sales rapidly approaching the 5 million mark per quarter in the country. It has already surpassed Apple, Nokia, and Huawei in market share, taking 13 percent in the country, behind Samsung's 16.7 percent.'

Lenovo 'in talks' on smartphone joint venture | ZDNet
    Again, china and security (BB) . Does it go together? I guess it can under the right circumstances. This could be huge, if it is in fact a partnership .
    06-04-13 01:07 AM
    Why is a partnership with Lenovo a security issue hot button? Is it just a perception issue because I think allowing Android phones access to BBM and the NOC a greater potential security issue!
    06-04-13 01:22 AM
    Double post
    06-04-13 01:24 AM
113,256 ... 11751176117711781179 ...